Tech Data

Updated December 3, 2014
3.2

Tech Data CEO and Director Bob Dutkowsky
Bob Dutkowsky

Pros
  • Great people work here and seemed to me most were happy working for Tech Data (in 14 reviews)

• It is a great place to learn and then find a real job elsewhere or if you are looking to retire (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Turnover is high in many departments - many are leaving due to low pay (in 11 reviews)

• The management team continuously over commit and look towards development staff to bail them out by working long hours (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Beware of Logistics

I worked at Tech Data

Pros

Benefits are ok, some good people there as far as coworkers.

Cons

Slim chance of advancement, some mgt has their favorites and shows it openly, company does not show loyalty to low level employees, hr is no help at all, as one reviewer stated, be careful you will be eventually be ran over by a bus. somewhat of a good place to start but don't stay too long if no advancement. If the executives would really listen to lower level employees input this would be as great place to work.

Executives should really listen to lower level employees input on mid-level mgt. Show loyalty to long term employees, improve HR, let job rotation be optional, STOP promoting low level employees to mgt with no mgt exp or people skills. Promote based on job performance and longevity not based off being the mgts favorite person on the team. Respect, Respect Respect goes a long way. Let lower level employees decide what the CMI should be based off of mgt's performance this might improve how mid-level mgt treats their team.

Not as expected

Former Employee - Marketing Account Executive
    Former Employee - Marketing Account Executive

I worked at Tech Data

Pros

Decent benefits packages that can be affordable including the return of the partial 401k match. There are many nice people and working with a good team made it a generally nice place to be.

Cons

People are Nita's smart as they think they are. Low salaries make it difficult to draw from the world-wide talent that is out there.

Focus on trining pope from the beginning, so that everyone is on the same age and working twrd achieving the same goal.

Tech Data used to be a place I enjoyed working, now it's just a paycheck, a pitiful one at that.

Current Employee - Logistics Manager
    Current Employee - Logistics Manager

I have been working at Tech Data

Pros

Great place to learn how not to treat employees
    Great place to learn the distribution and logistics business
    Great place to start your career - but don't stay too long

Cons

Sr. Leadership doesn't the path of desctruction they are leaving behind. They take hourly employees for granted and use people to do their dirty work.

Don't take employees and lower level managers for granted, they are your assets, not your door mats. They can help make the company succeed or fail.

Management at Tech Data leaves much to be desired.

I worked at Tech Data

Pros

Tech Data has some of the best people to work with in the Tampa Bay area. The difficulties with the newer management in the company has been detrimental in keeping key employees.

Cons

Poor management. Management positions are filled with people without the basic understanding of their job. They also lay-off their seasoned employees to back fill with cheaper employees.

Tech Data has some great employees that are more than qualified to hold key management positions. Tech Data's policy is to promote or hire management based on years of school completed, regardless of the type of degree. They have actually hired management with no work experience over employees with several years experience.

IT professionals beware

I worked at Tech Data

Pros

Decent salary, OK benefits on-site gym.

Cons

IT pros beware. Layoffs. Offshoring. Very high management turnover.

Close the revolving door in IT management. No one likes a new boss every 6 months.

Not the worst place to work but nowhere near the best

I worked at Tech Data

Pros

The previous review hit the nail on the head. It's a paycheck. Big company, so you can always find people you like and enjoy working with. It's good if you like a monotonous workplace. A negative to some, to be sure, but it is nice to always know what you're going to get. There are very few surprises.

Cons

For some reason a decent percentage of lower and mid-level management seem to be poorly suited for the job. My manager was friendly and positive, but clueless as to how I did my job. The pay is okay, but opportunities for advancement aren't as plentiful or fairly rewarded as you'll be told in the interview.

There are A LOT of meetings and I swear I've been to meetings to discuss if there were too many meetings.

It's not a bad place to work, but it really is a gray cubicle environment and that wore on me over time. When I put in my two weeks I had about half to 75% of the people I work with admit they hated their jobs and couldn't wait to go somewhere else.

Look for managers with a high quit rate below them. There's probably a reason.

Tech Data: Unless you're senior management already, why bother?

Former Employee - Receiving Associate in South Bend, IN
    Former Employee - Receiving Associate in South Bend, IN

I worked at Tech Data

Pros

Decent place to work if you have little or no prior experience and need as much per hour as possible. Fairly recession proof it seems.

Cons

Little or no room for advancement, especially without a degree of some kind -- no matter what kind of experience you may have. Little to no incentive for best effort and/or high level of quality in your job. Keep your head down and work to the lowest possible expectation, and even then, if you've been there too long and make too much they will find a reason to replace you with someone who they can hire to work for less money than you.

Middle management is a farce. The company talks about high level of standard and working to people's best ability, but instead it seems like middle management wants to work people harder to make up for lack of quality.

IT Leadership

Current Employee - IT Leader in Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - IT Leader in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at Tech Data full-time

Pros

This is a company where you certainly have an advantage as a woman. The real head of IT is an avid promoter of women's rights and female advancement. This company has the stronger ratio of men to women of any company I've been to. Overall company culture is good.

Cons

Highly political. Everyone must stay in line. Upper leadership are quick to pass blame below, never reflecting on how their decisions have created the multitude of problems inherent in the culture of the department. The culture focuses on hearing Yes and those who try to look at reasons subjectively become outcastes. It behooves you to keep your mouth shut and just do your 8 hours.

To upper management: it can't always be everyone else's fault.

Account Manager

Current Employee - Account Manager in Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at Tech Data full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

40 year old company, so the opportunity for growth is there. Friendly people

Cons

Arguably industry leading in low pay, too many tenured employees hurt the culture due to the "job vs career" mentality, they add layers of seniority to keep employee's content, but there is no actual vertical movement for employees.

Good starting position

Current Employee - Solutions Associate in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Solutions Associate in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Tech Data full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of room to grow with the company

benefits

great teams

good place to start career

friendly co-workeres

Cons

Start out pay is low

Have to wait a year before being able to move up