Tech Data Reviews

Updated August 20, 2014

3.1

Tech Data CEO and Director Bob Dutkowsky
Bob Dutkowsky

Pros
  • Great people work here and seemed to me most were happy working for Tech Data (in 9 reviews)

• Work/life balance is good if you're not in management (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The management team continuously over commit and look towards development staff to bail them out by working long hours (in 4 reviews)

• Turnover is high in many departments - many are leaving due to low pay (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

IT professionals beware

I worked at Tech Data

Pros

Decent salary, OK benefits on-site gym.

Cons

IT pros beware. Layoffs. Offshoring. Very high management turnover.

Close the revolving door in IT management. No one likes a new boss every 6 months.

Not the worst place to work but nowhere near the best

I worked at Tech Data

Pros

The previous review hit the nail on the head. It's a paycheck. Big company, so you can always find people you like and enjoy working with. It's good if you like a monotonous workplace. A negative to some, to be sure, but it is nice to always know what you're going to get. There are very few surprises.

Cons

For some reason a decent percentage of lower and mid-level management seem to be poorly suited for the job. My manager was friendly and positive, but clueless as to how I did my job. The pay is okay, but opportunities for advancement aren't as plentiful or fairly rewarded as you'll be told in the interview.

There are A LOT of meetings and I swear I've been to meetings to discuss if there were too many meetings.

It's not a bad place to work, but it really is a gray cubicle environment and that wore on me over time. When I put in my two weeks I had about half to 75% of the people I work with admit they hated their jobs and couldn't wait to go somewhere else.

Look for managers with a high quit rate below them. There's probably a reason.

Tech Data: Unless you're senior management already, why bother?

Former Employee - Receiving Associate  in  South Bend, IN
    Former Employee - Receiving Associate in South Bend, IN

I worked at Tech Data

Pros

Decent place to work if you have little or no prior experience and need as much per hour as possible. Fairly recession proof it seems.

Cons

Little or no room for advancement, especially without a degree of some kind -- no matter what kind of experience you may have. Little to no incentive for best effort and/or high level of quality in your job. Keep your head down and work to the lowest possible expectation, and even then, if you've been there too long and make too much they will find a reason to replace you with someone who they can hire to work for less money than you.

Middle management is a farce. The company talks about high level of standard and working to people's best ability, but instead it seems like middle management wants to work people harder to make up for lack of quality.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Current Employee

I have been working at Tech Data full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Opportunity for growth; healthy vacation, tuition reimbursement and benefit offers

Cons

Many changes in 401K offer and annual pay increases.

Some good, a lot bad...

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at Tech Data full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

A lot of great people, a lot of great opportunities in some areas. Some departments have wonderful leadership, other have really bad leadership.

Cons

Have to cover your rear or they'll take advantage of you. It's not about the people anymore, all about your boss looking good no matter what!

Mixed review - your experience will depend on dept and management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at Tech Data for more than 8 years

Pros

If you're lucky and get to work under a good manager or director, you may find your work experience to be positive. This is probably true for most companies. It's seems that upper management is trying to make an improvement to the culture.

Cons

There's is a lot of 'looking out for myself' or 'me first' attitude, very little cooperation from other departments and that probably comes from years of high pressure to produce. Quality of work doesn't matter. Work life balance is poor and unlikely to change as profit comes before anything else. Turnover is high in many departments - many are leaving due to low pay.

I feel that upper management is out of touch with the average employee. I understand that they have to make the numbers, but the focus is too high on the numbers and not on the employees. Happy employees will help make the numbers. If you are a VP or higher, ask your self when was the last time you had one on one with a non-management employee and just asked how they were doing? When was the last time you personally thanked one for their hard work in private?

Good but with reserve

I worked at Tech Data full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The benefits are very, very good.

Cons

Personal growth possibilities with Tech Data are very limited. Tech Data is a big social network so you must be a playing member to advance. Internal communication between departments is very slow and unclear. You will need to ask for explanations before you really understand. Leadership is typical for a large sales organization. In short, there is more hot air here than substance.

Senior management should take more control over middle managers. This is where the majority of communication and leadership problems can be found. They are paralyzed by fear and to strapped by red tape for effective decision making.

You'll make friends for life......but it will be a shorter life due to stress

Former Employee - Product Manager  in  Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Clearwater, FL

I worked at Tech Data full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You will make many friends for life, as happens in most combat situations.
    Pete Peterson and Brian Davis. Brilliant SVPs with integrity and who are friendly and welcoming to all employees and vendors.
    Great place to learn and network and get a better job making much, much more money with a manufacturer.
    Located in paradise.

Cons

Low moral in most departments.
    Purposely set certain departments against each other (Product Marketing v Purchasing v Accounts Payable) to increase visible profitability. But the time lost in productivity by this arrangement is a hidden profit hit and probably much more impactful in the long run.
    Most departments are understaffed.
    Great employees have been RIF'd many times while slackers stay around for years.
    If salaried, expect to work a minimum of 50 hours a week.
    Product Managers are expected to solve every problem in every department if it concerns a vendor under their responsibility. The buck stops here.

Figure out how to learn what is really happening in the company. Your haven't done that yet, though you have tried with town halls and round tables. I've never worked in a company with such low moral, but the employees put on happy faces for management for fear of losing their jobs.

Could be much better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Paris (France)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Paris (France)

I have been working at Tech Data full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Learn a lot from a lot of vendors-Great networking-Get to be very organised and focused-Get to be flexible and versatile

Cons

Subjective management - Very little if not no career plan

Stop being focused on keeping your chair and grow with your teams

Gained valuable experience....to use elsewhere

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager  in  Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at Tech Data full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Development of skill sets, learning the business, co-workers.

Cons

Executive leadership decisions that severely impact your success, marketing managers that have no business in that role, little coaching/development help, questionable promotions for individuals who bring little value, compensation is a JOKE compared to industry and area.

Do you notice top talent leaving? May want to devise a plan and career path that retains your employees. Refresh your marketing managers as some have been in same position for years and offer no value anymore.

Worked for Tech Data? Contribute to the Community!