Tech Mahindra

2.8
1,607 Reviews

Tech Mahindra Managing Director CP Gurnani
CP Gurnani

Pros
  • Work / Life balance: I usually went in in mornings, though afternoons are generally free (in 71 reviews)

• More onsite opportunities are available in TechM as compared to other companies (in 101 reviews)

Cons
  • 5 HRS daily sometimes become hectic for work life balance (in 43 reviews)

• Poor Resource management and less career growth with negligible salary hike (in 52 reviews)

More Highlights

Too political environment

Pros

Good Associates and fun to work with them

Cons

Not competent management and totally political

none

Worst work place and experience I have ever had.

Former Employee - Mobile Test Engineer  in  Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Mobile Test Engineer in Bellevue, WA

Pros

None and absolutely no single reason to work for them. Please be aware that this place is just disgusting. The majority of people and especially the management are not yet introduced to the term "professionalize". I have to admit that they're smart BUT with 0% work ethics , BAD attitudes, and no work structure at all. I had to run out of this place as far and fast as I could. I have IT technical degrees( BSc and AAST) and would rather to clean bathrooms than go back and work for them.

Cons

Managing to work with them is the biggest challenge.

If I can do anything to help this company, which I would NEVER, I would suggest that your CEO should spend some money to educate you! . Cause the Management I had was the worst in dealing with non- Indian employees.

Not the company for future, but good for salary

Pros

Salary structure is good. Variable pay is mostly 100%

Cons

Very bad management due to which the teams have to face lot of challenges

Become professional in approach. Forget the "Kar Do" approach. Processes are in place use them. Learn to say 'No' and take ownership.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This job had potiential, but it was disappointing and not for me

Former Employee - Bing HRS Judge Position  in  Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Bing HRS Judge Position in Redmond, WA

Pros

I was initially recruited for the job/internship at Tech Mahindra through a recruiter at Apidel Technologies. Anyways, after the initial interview process, I found out that I was going to be going for a position with Tech Mahindra (which is an outsourcing company for Microsoft at least the one in the Redmond area) where I would be working with the Bing Team through Microsoft as a Bing Human Relevance System Judge. With the job, I would essentially be looking at websites and rating them. How it works from what I see (I can't get into full details about how it works for obvious reasons), but basically, they give you a search term, followed by a landing page and you have to rate the site on a scale of 1 to 5 (with 1 being "bad" and 5 being "perfect"). On the surface it did seem like a relatively easy entry level position to have through Tech Mahindra / Microsoft.

Here are some of the pros I find:
    - month long training program where they teach you how to properly rate sites
    - Group sessions
    - Pratice exercises where you can practice rating sites and see how the system works.

$10.00/hour wages (assumes you pass an assessment at the end of the training period). It is not a lot, but it is more than minimum wage (which is currently $9.34 here in Washington State). Note that the training session is not paid (will talk more about it in the cons).
    - The people there are friendly
    - You do get some perks like free coffee (which can help you perk up).

Career opportunities:
    It is essentially an entry level position with Microsoft (under the Tech Mahindra banner) with temp to hire type of possibilities

Work / Life balance: I usually went in in mornings, though afternoons are generally free. Expect to go in on Monday through Friday mornings. You also get homework during the training part of the job (where you access an online application where you rate websites they give you to rate). You also have to do lots of studying for a test (which is pretty challenging in my opinion) that comes up at the end (you have 2 chances to pass in order to qualify for the job). You do have weekends off though

Culture and vales: typical office environment

Cons

This job is definitely not as easy as it looks and not exactly an entry level position in my opinion.

- compensation: the wage is merely $10/hour. By the way the training phase (which runs about the first month), they don't offer paid training as you are not officially an employee till after an assessment you have to take, so you are pretty much working for free during the first month or so. I definitely don't recommend this as a primary job (at least until you know for sure you have the job which will likely be determined by the assessment you take). If you have second job, I recommend you keep it at least until you officially qualify for the job as you will definitely need extra money to live on during the training phase (you will likely need money for gas and food going too and from Redmond)

Other cons:
    This job is definitely not as easy as it looks. By the way, do any of you like taking tests? As a "judge" you will be taking "tests" often. Here is how it works, you access an online application where they give you a query, landing page and you have to rate the site on a scale of 1-5. By the way, the management already seems to know the correct judgement for each site and you never really know if you get a judgement correct or not until after you have submitted the judgement (you will get a message that says whether you got the judgment correct or not). Obvously you don't know what the managers are thinking about the site so you almost have to make an educated guess on what the right ratings are and while some sites can be easy to rate correctly, others can definitely be tricky and will likely trip up and confuse many "judges". By the way, the initial training period is about a month long (at least that is how it was for my group) and you have to take one or 2 assessments in order to qualify (and they come in 50 question multiple choice formats, where you have to get at least 80% of the judgements correct in order to pass). There is definitely a very steep learning curve to this job and you will definitely have to be extremely savvy with search engines as well as detail oriented in order to succeed with this job. By the way, there are people in my group that are definitely smarter than I am and more savvy with computers too and they were struggling too. Of course, it can be rewarding if you are among the few that get the job. Note that the contract is only for 6 months too and they can get rid of you if you are not performing well enough. I definitely recommend that you live close to Redmond if you want to go for it (I commute from Snohomish and it is definitely a long commute in the morning as you have to go there at around 9 usually and that is right in the middle of rush hour with traffic backed up a good chunk of the way there almost regardless of which routes you take).

- One good tip about preparing for this job: there are sites online where you can do similar kinds of tasks and earn (such as Amazon's Mturk program as well as Crowdflower, which you can find on various rewards sites like Inbox Dollars and Clixsense) and doing them can be a good way to help prepare for the job since it is a lot like those in case if you are familiar with those programs (where you have instructions and guidelines you have to go by and you get instant feedback on whether if you are doing the jobs correctly or not). This job is definitely not for everyone in my opinion
      . .

I wonder if there is a better system for rating sites. Seems to be more complicated than it should be. Also, bear in mind that people are not going to have one mind when it comes to evaluating websites (especially ones where is some "grey area", such as rating articles). Also if you already know the right answers for the queries and ratings, why not make it easy for everyone and assign them ratings to give to the sites. Either that or be more democratic about the process (obviously judges can't read your minds and don't always see things the way you do). Also, paid training would have been nice too. Makes the initial process more worth while (especially for people commuting to work.

About TechM

Former Employee - Tech Lead
    Former Employee - Tech Lead

Pros

Good to work in telecommunication technologies. Salary is ok. After merge with Satyam management and polices are good.

Cons

Tight time lines.
    Need to recruit people with more experience for senior technical roles.

There are very less people real Solution Architects. Recruit more technical people.

interesting times, good potential to make it to big league, land with the right group and has good growth potential

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Very strong in the Telecom domain, integration of Satyam coming along well. Gives tremendous freedom after proving capabilities

Cons

Incentives and promotions are not transparent and performance based on the Telecom business

Ok types

Pros

Salary credited properly, Good Training

Cons

Bench time, Less compensation Money

So far so good.. But just because of supportive managers closer in your work environment..

Current Employee - Principal Consultant  in  Middletown, NJ
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Middletown, NJ

Pros

Opportunities to explore challenges in silos.. doesn't reflect the whole company's policy or direction..

Cons

Middle Management, even Sr. Management just next to top only to top management doesn't have any control nor empowered.. Decisions and directions are controlled very tightly from top management, stifling the innovation, managerial delegation, and growth.. just puppets..

Start empowering people.. Give the next level management the ownership and responsibility.. stop stifling and controlling at very short leash, its a short sightedness and killing the long term prospects of the company

Not a great place to work.

Current Employee - Tech Lead  in  Bothell, WA
    Current Employee - Tech Lead in Bothell, WA

Pros

Job Security, Work Personal Life Balance

Cons

No good policies. Need to follow for you own salary.

Good place to work if you do not want any interaction with co-worker

Pros

The paychecks were timely. That is probably the only pro that I can come up with. Definitely not a place to have a career

Cons

Communication is not good with management and peers. I had trouble just getting my timesheet signed every two weeks.

Improve on communication

Worked for Tech Mahindra? Contribute to the Community!