Tech USA Reviews

Updated October 23, 2014
Updated October 23, 2014
3.2

Thomas B. Howell

Pros
  • Wide variety of career paths internally (in 3 reviews)

• The rest of this company is OK and there is a chance to make good money but the person who everyone wanted to work for has now moved on (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Many of the previous reviews are correct, there isn't a work life balance at all (in 5 reviews)

• TechUSA really only accomodates their Account Executives (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good benefits at Tech USA

I have been working at Tech USA

Pros

Pay a large portion of employee coverage.
    Full range of benefits with multiple levels to choose from.
    Rates only raised once in last 3 years.

Cons

The benefits are good and has many options, but they do not cover ANY of family/defendants. Individual coverage is great, but a bank breaker for family coverage. Only better than finding your own outside since it is pre tax.

There is a small % of employees with a family. Even covering 50-60% of family cost would greatly help those employees.

Get your post-college experience and then get out.

Former Employee - Professional Recruiter in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Professional Recruiter in Tampa, FL

I worked at Tech USA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay is weekly, most members of the recruitment team are young and driven which makes the long hours bearable. It was a decent place to get started right out of college to gain experience in recruitment, client management and sales.

Cons

As a recruiter your are assigned to a single account manager and their line of clients. If you have a driven, tenured account manager with solid client relationships then all the work that you put into sourcing candidates and recruiting will be worth it because you will get placements and you will grow. If you work with an account manager who doesn't have a stable business line and was likely promoted due to the boys-club mentality of the company, then you are doomed. You will not get placements because your account executive does not qualify orders, nor generate solid business. If you do not get placements, you will not grow in spread- if you dont hit spread goals, you get all the blame- not your failing account manager. The training is very general and haphazard- so dont expect a whole lot of support there. You had better hope you have a senior recruiter on your team, or an account executive willing to teach you the tools of the trade. Recruitment is no easy industry to begin with- not having resources when you are new to the industry makes it nearly impossible. The hours are long- 10 hour work days that start off with morning meetings where you will be publicly ridiculed for not hitting ridiculous metrics that are nowhere near reasonable if you are working on higher level positions. The person doing the ridiculing?- your "directors" or account executives who have not sat in a recruitment chair in years and have no awareness of how it has changed. Also- unless you want to get into sales- there is ZERO opportunity for progression. There is no career path for recruitment or operations. The pay is decent coming out of college- but 32K base does not pay the bills forever. And commission structure is terrible. Forget a social life. If you play the game- spend the short amount of personal time you do have in your evenings going to happy hours and marketing events a kissing serious corporate butt, you will likely stay under the radar and may do fairly well because its a boys club. Even if you do not hit goals within a reasonable time- if you are willing to fuel egos and play the game you will get a promotion and since you will be unprepared to lead your own team you will likely be the cause for an entire group of new recruiters not hitting goals- burning out- and generally wanting to drown themselves in booze at the end of the day.

Pay attention to how the company has literally disintegrated with attrition the last few years. That is because the good talent have realized that your company is a joke. Stop putting your AM's on a pedestal and kicking down the people responsible for making their client placements and success.

Great way to learn sales and business

I have been working at Tech USA

Pros

Work with young and talented people, can earn a substantial living if you are willing to put in the work, ability to grow and move in to sales quickly

Cons

upper level management is lean
    training programs need to be more frequent, not online or over the phone but bringing people together like they used to
    communication between offices

Best Leader Now Gone

I have been working at Tech USA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company had a amazing leader who left 2 weeks ago. The rest of this company is OK and there is a chance to make good money but the person who everyone wanted to work for has now moved on. Got results, his people all made money and he CARED.

Cons

I'm not sure what the future is for us and the company does seem to be moving its direction. I really don't know how they could lose such a talent.

Get Mike back

I chose Tech USA for the strong management and exciting direction the company is headed in.

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Tech USA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They have given me the opportunity to grow within a company in a competitive industry. I have truly gotten out everything that I have put in and continue to be motivated by what others have accomplished before me.

Cons

Due to the smaller size of the office, the was a lot to do beyond the traditional job description.

Continue with the strong management and encouragement to succeed.

Growth potential as long as you put the effort into it.

Current Employee - Professional Recruiter in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Professional Recruiter in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Tech USA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great culture built on young professionals who are hungry for success.
    Promotion potential within a relatively short time frame
    Work schedule flexibility
    Manager is very friendly and tries to resolve issues privately rather than making them public.
    Manager also tries to grow you as a professional from a leadership standpoint.

Cons

Company has a new initiative every 6 months, which they think will bring them up to speed with the competition.
    Internal recruiting technology could use an update.

Invest in on-site training that allows your employees to stay up to date with recruiting methods and trends.
    Provide raises for employees that hit certain revenue metrics.
    Unrealistic contest expectations for recruiters.

Be careful and read the realistic reviews

I worked at Tech USA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

When I first started at Tech USA I had a great experience. Initially, I had a great leader who had been with the company since they started and he really cared about individual and team success and not just the bottom line. I lasted as long as I did because of him and also many of my co-workers. I made friends across all the offices, many of which, I still consider friends today. During my time here, I learned a lot about myself, my career goals and what I want out of a future company and leadership team.

Cons

There are a lot, but it primarily stems from the executive leadership team. There are a lot of empty promises made, a lot of a "do whatever to get ahead, no matter who it hurts" type of mentality and trying to pin the recruiters and sales team against each other. It is the leadership team that is the driving force behind this mentality. When sales reps or recruiters are at the $10k mark they are the most beloved employees, however once you drop below that mark, you are now a story of what not to do, even if something is out of your control (layoffs, hiring freezes, etc.). There is no consideration to what factors contributed to the drop or even an effort to work with the sales reps to re-establish that revenue. Even if you work hard and try to get advice or help from upper management, it will be used against you rather than appreciated for being aware of where and when to ask for help. The behind close doors meetings are usually extremely negative and all about what the team isn't doing right and how terrible they are doing rather than giving constructive criticism mixed with where the teams are doing well, a lot of the meetings were negative with very little positive. People are encouraged to call people out on the floor and basically ridicule them for what they did wrong or what they did get done, rather than discussing it constructively and privately when necessary. They are really good at hyping up their employees and getting them to "drink the Kool-Aid", but can't back up the hype or their promises. It says a lot about a company when top performers and employees that are respected are unhappy and leave. When someone does leave the company, no matter how good or previously respected, they will be talked about upon leaving and a lot of what will is said is untrue. Many of the previous reviews are correct, there isn't a work life balance at all. To them, if you don't eat, breath and sleep work, you aren't giving it you're all. The reviews that try to combat the lack of work like balance, by saying those employees are looking for an easy job or aren't interested in putting in long hours, aren't true, because most do work long hours and put in 100+%. However, if someone need to take time off for an appointment or for vacation, they shouldn't be ridiculed or put down for doing so. That is how employees get burnt out and want to move on. There are a few positive reviews (some might have had positive experiences), but you be the judge before joining the company and read all of the reviews. Everyone's experience is different and that is the point of this site, to share experiences so individuals are able to make an educated decision. Not all negative reviews are from disgruntled former employees (as I see some of the positive reviews saying in order to combat the negative), but rather want to get their experience out there, so candidates can know what to potentially expect.

Listen to the former employees, rather than combat the poor reviews with grossly over-positive reviews by current employees (who I'm sure were asked to do so), read the negative reviews from past employees and even some current employees and LEARN from them! Also, start conducting exit interviews while ensuring confidentiality, so you can learn why your employees are leaving. There are a lot of fundamental problems that start with senior level management that need to be addressed, or the attrition will continue to skyrocket. Go back to the fundamentals of an organization and start asking why the employees aren't happy and realize what you can do to change those issues and maybe you'll start getting more positive reviews and less turnover. You can have a fun, hard-working, productive, successful environment without the negativity and empty promises. The idea that the leadership can say whatever they want (whether true or not) to get ahead in the company is not the way to lead an organization.

Good Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Tech USA full-time

Pros

Work with great people in a competitive environment. Great commission plan. Learn a lot about business as many hats are required.

Cons

Hard work and long hours to be successful as a recruiter or in sales. It's staffing, things go wrong all the time. Clients blame the ae's, ae's blame recruiters, recruiters blame candidates, and management blames everyone. Tough skin required.

Hire more support roles to take some of the pressure off back office personnel.

Refreshing Opportunity

Current Employee - Account Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Tech USA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I'm looking to have spent the last two years in Tech USA's Philadelphia and definitely agree with previous reviews stating our company culture is great and our EVP is definitely a driving force behind it. I'm an independent working and never feel micro-managed. I love seeing the a direct correlation between the work I do and my pay check while having a competitive base salary to rely on as well. TechUSA is a younger company and this allows for more flexibility in career paths, if you can envision a way to create money for the company they are open to it.

Cons

My only con would be that this company main career path would be sales and they have a very structured and effective career path to get you there. I personally prefer recruiting/ account management and while TechUSA has been great in supporting my career desires, I don't feel like I get the same prep as Sales people and I'm paving my own road.

Keep up the good work!

High Stress Hell!!!

I worked at Tech USA

Pros

You get paid weekly, the people are great and are usually easy to talk to which is great since you'll spend all of your free time with them

Cons

I understand that sales is number driven and can be stressful but when no one is happy that's a problem. You work long hours for no reason which makes the stress and the tension in the office unbearable! There is no such thing as an off day. If you need a mental health day they will still make you work through it. Just don't do it unless you want to have a heart attack or a stroke!

Treat your employees better and they might just stay.