TechFlow Reviews

19 reviews filtered by
Larry M. Trammell

1. Nice folks but some strange things too

I worked at TechFlow full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Some really sweet, talented and well intentioned coworkers and managers. Telework and flexibility are great.

Cons

Funding for my project was cut and I was laid off that day. The last day of the month. They cut my last paycheck that day. As a result I had no health insurance the next day. That is horrible. On top of that they want to charge you the admin fee for COBRA. There were other places my skills could have been used for a month or 2 until I found a new job or also the possibility of job sharing. 20 hours/week is better than unemployment. Seriously this is harsh treatment. This just goes to show a certain lack of creativity. Intelligent, seasoned talented industry professionals are kept out of these discussions and treated like 4th graders.

Whoever decides the scope of projects needs to consider that despite the fact that Java/Web is the hot sexy end user facing technology (what the user sees) the application is worthless without data, which is stored in a database that is more important than the weight management gives those skilled in that regard (databases). In other words, not too much. That needs to be factored in to contracts. Java developers do not have the same depth of knowledge as dedicated database developers. Need to spend some money on servers. Whoever thought that it is a good idea to have more virtual machines than physical CPUs needs to look elsewhere for employment. Bundling database servers, apache, tomcat, hibernate, mail servers, file servers and god knows what else onto the same hardware makes performance diagnostics pretty much impossible since they use resources in different ways and step on each others toes. It would be more cost effective to use the funds for a VM Ware software and VM Ware expert on Physical Servers and do away with VM Ware person and VM Ware licensing. It could be the fact that contracts are written based on labor only I'm not sure. As with all gov't contractors there is a double bureaucracy. The customer and the company. Company seems to be afraid of technology in some regards. Scanned/emailed expense are not acceptable, but rather snail mailed receipts are required. What difference does it make? Some of these things seem weird but again it might have to do with how contracts are written. I don't think I ever met the CEO so I don't know what to say.

Mar 25, 2015Human Resources

TechFlow is an agile workplace with great people. We are glad we are able to provide our folks with the ability to have schedule flexibility.

Sorry you didn't meet the CEO. He is a dynamic
    ... More

Governemnt-centric company, with detached division heads

Former Employee - Senior Applications Developer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Applications Developer in San Diego, CA

I worked at TechFlow

Pros

Good 401K. Good benefits. Pure agile environment. Great tools to log work, find notes and procedures. Confluence, Jira, GreenHopper (Now Jira Agile). Developers are friendly and knowledge is shared among them. Highly intelligent, industry proven and seasoned professionals are hired at TechFlow.

Cons

People are hired quickly, and let go quickly. Division heads were segregated from developers. Salaried developers were expected to work over time, when management mismanaged projects. Little to no freedom using your own Java IDE or tools. Laptops were assigned (and you had to provide a compelling case to get more Memory). Very slow development environment: Java labs and servers are agonizingly slow. Most clients for TechFlow are government agencies. Division heads have an academic, bookish (abstract) view of both technology and best practices, and developers were constantly frustrated. Division heads and project managers were in so many meetings they often failed to fully scope out the detailed requirements for a project to be delivered on time.

"Open door" policies are intimidating to developers. Division heads need to come by developers desk more.

Jan 26, 2015Human Resources

TechFlow is much more than an IT / Development company. We are a government contractor that provides engineering, analysis, IT and scientific services to the government in business and process ... More

3. HARD WORK DOES PAY OFF!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at TechFlow full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pay / benefits are good
    Job satisfaction for people who like to work hard and have an entrepreneurial work ethic
    Recognition in a smaller company - have a voice at work
    Able to contribute to a growing company's success

Cons

Long hours / hard work; you won't last if you don't enjoy your work
    Small company growing pains

Win new contracts to grow the business. As the business grows, add more people to help carry the load and provide opportunities for career growth.

Jan 26, 2015Human Resources Manager

Appreciate the positive comments about compensation and benefits, as well as the ability to be heard and contribute to the growth of the company.

Thanks for your advice. Rest assured we are
    ... More

Not the most advanced tech

I worked at TechFlow full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people accommodating some of the worst processes one can imagine. You will find some of the most horribly managed processes under the guise of ITIL at Techflow. Dig for them if you are interviewing as they have a tendency to avoid discussion during the interview. Comp and benefits were on par and there was always something fun going on.

Cons

Application built on ten year old tech platform. Management is non-technical and can only speak to the strength of the contract and not the application. One will be held to the written word on the contract so understand what that can mean to you.

Teach to contract holder the cost of development. This will develop loyalty.

Jan 26, 2015Human Resources Manager

We think we have some pretty great people also. Thank you.

As a government contractor, some of our contracts and customers have been with us since we started, 20 years ago. Over the course of

6. IT Support

Former Employee - IT Support in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - IT Support in San Diego, CA

I worked at TechFlow full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Lots of hands on experience

Cons

Long hours for each work day

NA

Jan 26, 2015Human Resources Manager

We are a growing company with approximately 438 employees, in 17 states. Our internal IT team is made up of 3 dedicated, certified professionals, who understand the role IT performs in keeping the ... More

A good group for contracting

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at TechFlow as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Professional staff, speedy response to issues.

Cons

Pay a little low, very little end of contract support.

Keep your good people employed. They make you money. Pay more attention to end of contract redeployment of good personnel

Jan 26, 2015Human Resources Manager

TechFlow's vision is to be the Contractor, Partner and Employer of Choice. We work very hard to take care of our employees.

Waste of Time

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at TechFlow full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits (medical, dental, and vision).

Cons

Say they are an ethical company but behind the scenes it's the total opposite. Management and H.R. are so unprofessional. It's common place for employees to be yelled at and humiliated in front of others making for a hostile work environment. One director acts untouchable and has no discretion, tact or diplomacy, and warns employees who they can and cannot talk to - a big bully. Forget bringing wrong-doings to light because it will go no where and they will make you pay.

A recent company wide anonymous questionnaire was done and the skeletons were pulled from the closet. Hope the owners take action as there are serious problems at TechFlow.

I won't waste my comments because nothing will ever change.

Jan 26, 2015Human Resources Manager

We appreciate your comments both the Pros and the Cons.

We strive to hold all employees - directors, managers and human resources to the same ethical standards.

We are proud of our 20 years
    ... More

Techflow is an "okay" starting company if you can't find a job elsewhere.

Former Employee - Anonymous in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in San Diego, CA

I worked at TechFlow full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Most team members are 'nice and approachable, while others keep to themselves. Green flash brewery is right across" the street, so there are a lot of non-Techflow sponsored events there.

Cons

There is a high turnover rate. Most people don't stay here for more than 5 years. The pay is not good. This place is a dead end job, unless you are in upper management. Only a few select "special" people get stock options; if you do not get stock options, you are disposable. People are mostly nice, but certain people have power trips and treats coworkers like they're their own personal lackies; there is a bit of harassment that goes on. 'These people " would also play loud music and sing which is very annoying for working coworkers. Their personality flips a complete 180 when the CEO is around. Every year, we are asked to fill out forms to rate the company as the best place to work on SD, which is pretty rubbish.

Pay people more. You're going to lose good workers if you don't.

Jan 26, 2015Human Resources Manager

We agree - people at TechFlow are nice. We try to have many fun events for our employees, like pot lucks, barbeques, ice-cream socials and pizza lunches.

Our turnover rate is something we watch
    ... More

TechFlow is not a real company. It is a scam of a group of subcontractors who do subcontract for bigger company.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at TechFlow full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Interview and hire in one day.

Cons

Don't expect that the company will employ you as the employee. They will dispose or laid off you anytime.
    I was interviewed and hired within one day, and after 4 weeks working there, they called the entire group of 8 developers, I am one of them :), to the office, drink a coke, then received laid off notice. When we return to our table, the computer was locked. They told us that we have 10 minutes to clean up table and pack our belong and out.

Jan 26, 2015Human Resources Manager

Like other government contractors, TechFlow was affected by the Federal Government shutdown in October 2013. As a result of the shutdown, TechFlow was forced to let go of some team members. Such a ... More

11. Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Applications Developer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at TechFlow full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

TechFlow offers a great benefits plan, co-workers are awesome people, HR department throws great events.
    I feel TechFlow's strongest pro is that employee opinions really matter to management. TechFlow seems to really care about the well being of it's employees and the HR department is always willing to listen and help.

Cons

TechFlow's location means sitting in traffic to and from work.

Keep listening to your employees.

Jan 16, 2015Human Resources Manager

Thank you! You are correct, employees are valued and we do listen to their opinions. Glad to hear you enjoy TechFlow events.