TechSmith

TechSmith Reviews

Updated Mar 24, 2014

TechSmith President William D. Hamilton

William D. Hamilton

Fun and Rewarding Company!

Okemos, MI

I worked at TechSmith for more than a year

ProsThe work can be challenging - but the culture is great! Coworkers were always very friendly, supportive, lots of laughter. Management really does care about you as an individual, receptive to new ideas and support the 'open door' policy in place. They put their money where their mouth is - dedicating resources towards personal and professional development, lots of perks and activities that make for an enjoyable company culture, and support the local community in all sorts of different ways. Awesome place to work if you have the chance!

ConsThere's always room for improvement with communication; especially in a company that has so many different project/teams/initiatives working all the time. But overall - still a great company to work with.

Great opportunity to gain corporate level experience and learn enterprise in a local environment

Customer Service Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at TechSmith as an intern for more than a year

ProsThe people are very intelligent and extremely helpful, no one ever seems burdened when training.

Company events are held periodically from training camps to the annual birthday party.

Working environment is open and laid back while still demanding diligent work habits.

Moderate call volume with a knowledgeable customer base.

ConsRoom to branch out into different departments is encouraged, though limited as far as moving from position to position.

Innovation is accepted but implementation is slow and painful.

Team managers do not communicate well with other department team managers ( Customer Service and Development teams for example have almost no contact).

Best internship experience I could have ever recieved!

Graphic Design & User Experience (Current Employee)
Okemos, MI

I have been working at TechSmith as an intern for more than a year

ProsTechSmith is an amazing company, and as an intern here for two years I couldn't have asked for anything better. They are flexible around my school schedule and supportive of any extracurriculars I have going on. I am able to work alongside smart, friendly, funny people everyday on projects that are the same as full-time employees that go directly into the hands of our customers. I have learned more here than any class, and they have prepared me exponentially for graduation not only with the internship itself, but also all the extra workshops and such they do for their interns. I have been able to present my designs and ideas to managers and even executives, and have made great relationships with people across the whole company. I have felt like a full-time employee and have been treated like one since my first day, which is so rare for an internship!

ConsIt is a challenge to stay up to date with the latest initiatives that are constantly evolving, but in a way, thats not always a bad thing! It is a fast paced environment and everyday is different, which some people may love or hate.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing!

The best place I have ever worked

Social Media (Former Employee)

I worked at TechSmith as an intern for less than a year

ProsI got an internship at TechSmith during my final year at college. It was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.

Personal and professional growth is a priority of theirs and they encourage their employees to develop new skills on the job. Everyone is patient and kind, yet hold a high performance standard for themselves and their peers.

ConsTheir office is in Okemos, which is a fantastic town to raise a family, but less optimal for recent graduates looking to spread their wings and experience the world.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen a satellite office in the Metro Detroit area to tap those recruiting opportunities. Allow more flexibility with remote workforce.

Overall pretty good

Software Engineering Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at TechSmith as an intern for less than a year

ProsReally fun company culture. Like to have a lot of social company events, which is pretty cool. But as an intern it was sometimes kind of hard to fully socialize. The work is also pretty cool.

ConsMiddle management does have problems. Difficult to get in touch with managers sometimes. Place is somewhat disorganized in that regard.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe better about communicating where the direction of the product is headed.

Fantastic intern experience

Software Engineer Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at TechSmith as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat culture, skilled yet down to earth developers, opportunities for growth

ConsGrowing pains, management somewhat disconnected

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up guys, you're doing fantastic. I loved my summer at TechSmith, and would love to come back when I finish school. There are currently some growing pains as the company moves forward into new technologies, but they are necessary and TSC will be better for it down the road. I feel good about the company's future overall.

Great Internship Experience

I worked at TechSmith as an intern for more than a year

ProsAs a intern I had a lot of great mentors to teach and rely on while working on real projects that impacted the company. It was a great place to be

ConsGiven the size of the company besides the company activities the workplace can feel quite isolated between teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementVery top level style management. Never really interacted with the higher ups.

It's a great place to work if you are just starting out

I worked at TechSmith full-time

Pros- Culture was great
- Smart and talented people who work there
- Lots of company-wide activities
- Easy to talk with (most) of the higher ups directly

Cons- Lacking in paths of advancement
- If you are lucky in that you do advance and are given a new title, it often does not come with a raise or incentive for begin responsible for more work
- Conflicting management types- one that operates 'open door' and one that operates 'speak to your manager who will speak to their manager who will speak to their VP'
- Keeping people with negative attitudes around and having them affect the culture in a bad way, encouraging more of that same behavior

Advice to Senior ManagementSoftware development is risky, the slower you are to the market, especially now, the more behind you get. Make decisions and be okay with failing, learning, and moving on. Keep the open door policy extended through the entire company. It is absolutely asinine to have to talk to 3 different people instead of just going to the one person you would've liked to talk with in the first place.

Great place to work!

Okemos, MI

I have been working at TechSmith full-time

Pros- Culture
- Get to work with smart and creative people
- Opportunities to advance your career and encouragement to do so
- Friday lunches

ConsExperiencing some growing pains as the company expands in terms of communication and speed to action. I believe that these issues can and will be overcome.

Advice to Senior Management- Focus on improving communication across the company as it continues to grow.
- Don't be afraid to take calculated risks.

Generally positive but management could be better

I have been working at TechSmith full-time for more than a year

ProsLeadership is approachable. All seem to listen to the members of their respective teams.

ConsIt seems like company leadership is a little slow to make decisions. Once decisions are made they are glacial in acting on those choices. It is sometimes very difficult to grow professionally.

Worked for TechSmith? Contribute to the Community!

TechSmith Videos

TechSmith – Why Work for Us?

TechSmith provides more than 50 countries with screen capture and recording software for individual and professional use. Founded in 1987 by William Hamilton, who remains the company’s president today, TechSmith has… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at TechSmith reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for TechSmith CEO William D. Hamilton. All 33 reviews posted anonymously by TechSmith employees.