TechSmith

William D. Hamilton

Family friendly, Google-like

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Okemos, MI
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Okemos, MI

I have been working at TechSmith full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Techsmith is very family friendly and is usually flexible about hours and required travel. People try to work together and are professional. Lots of great ideas.

Cons

I often wish there was more definitive direction from higher-up management.

Great place to work in Michigan

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at TechSmith full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance, variety of products and services to work on (cloud/web/mobile/desktop), very friendly and passionate people, good community standing, opportunity to work with (some) newer technologies. The company took some internal criticism for reinventing itself over the past few years and having a few false starts and vague goals, but I felt positive about the direction and vision toward the end of my tenure.

Cons

Somewhat soft growth & reward structure

Continue to develop and encourage current and potential leaders at all levels, matching responsibility with accountability and compensation. Keep up the great (and sometimes painful) work of growing, innovating, and adapting.

Growing pains

I have been working at TechSmith full-time

Pros

Casual office environment with soda and snacks; hotelling stations to get away from semi-chaotic open concept office areas; decent catered lunches once a week; really nice benefits package with low premiums. No challenges with work-life balance.

Cons

Little stability in job assignment for the past 2 months, inconsistent company culture that can be difficult to navigate.

Reinvest in building up and nurturing cross-functional, cross-team compatible, static development teams.

Great place to learn and grow but not a lot of opportunities to move up

I have been working at TechSmith full-time

Pros

I've had the opportunity to do a lot and learn a lot. My coworkers are smart terrific people.

Cons

Middle management is frustrating and ineffective. There aren't a lot of opportunities to move up. There seems to be a focus and reward for idea people and less for execution especially on the business side.

Don't micromanage. Support your staff and give them the tools they need, but allow them to grow and seek out opportunities and ideas. You don't need to control everything. You hired people because you thought they could do the job, trust that and give them space to do their work.

Great people, great company!

Current Intern - Marketing Content Intern in Okemos, MI
    Current Intern - Marketing Content Intern in Okemos, MI

I have been working at TechSmith as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

-you can wear jeans to work
    -free food
    -they are all about team work
    -great communication
    -401k even for interns

Cons

-your duties may get a little repetitive
    -not many career opportunities

Room for Improvement

I have been working at TechSmith full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Laid back culture
    Transparency
    Pay & Benefits
    Good products

Cons

Career advancement limited over time
    Slow to action or to make decisions

As an intern I felt included and like it was a place to truly grow in my profession.

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Okemos, MI
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Okemos, MI

I worked at TechSmith as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Every person I met was kind and cared deeply about the work that they were doing. My ideas weren't discredited as an intern's ideas, but fully valued. I felt like a true member of the team. There were many opportunities to interact with upper management, as well as to meet interns in other departments. This company truly cares about their employees and creating a healthy environment.

Cons

There weren't opportunities for my position outside of Michigan. Otherwise, I would have gladly stayed.

Great Experience

Current Intern - Intern in Okemos, MI
    Current Intern - Intern in Okemos, MI

I have been working at TechSmith as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Great place to be an intern--everyone for the most part is very helpful and excited to see you learn. Love the transparency between departments and the various opportunities for interns to get involved in whatever interests them.

Cons

Work can sometimes get tedious and repetitive, however, if you express interest in getting involved in something else you have the opportunity to make it happen.

Keep up with the great company culture and fun events, continue encouraging employees from various departments to communicate and get to know each other.

Fun and Rewarding Company!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Okemos, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Okemos, MI

I worked at TechSmith (more than a year)

Pros

The work can be challenging - but the culture is great! Coworkers were always very friendly, supportive, lots of laughter. Management really does care about you as an individual, receptive to new ideas and support the 'open door' policy in place. They put their money where their mouth is - dedicating resources towards personal and professional development, lots of perks and activities that make for an enjoyable company culture, and support the local community in all sorts of different ways. Awesome place to work if you have the chance!

Cons

There's always room for improvement with communication; especially in a company that has so many different project/teams/initiatives working all the time. But overall - still a great company to work with.

Great opportunity to gain corporate level experience and learn enterprise in a local environment

Former Intern - Customer Service Intern in Okemos, MI
    Former Intern - Customer Service Intern in Okemos, MI

I worked at TechSmith as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

The people are very intelligent and extremely helpful, no one ever seems burdened when training.

Company events are held periodically from training camps to the annual birthday party.

Working environment is open and laid back while still demanding diligent work habits.

Moderate call volume with a knowledgeable customer base.

Cons

Room to branch out into different departments is encouraged, though limited as far as moving from position to position.

Innovation is accepted but implementation is slow and painful.

Team managers do not communicate well with other department team managers ( Customer Service and Development teams for example have almost no contact).