TechSmith Reviews

William D. Hamilton

1. TechSmith

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

I worked at TechSmith full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome software built by a passionate and well led team. Customer facing teams were empowered to help customers be successful.

Cons

Can be difficult to grow or move upward, as most of the management team is deeply rooted.

2. I wanted more opportunities

I worked at TechSmith full-time

Pros

There are some amazing folks that work here.

Cons

There are some really awful managers who work here.

Advice to Management

Make sure your people are happy and remember, there is no honey without the worker bees.

Tough choice to leave but overall I'm happy I did

I worked at TechSmith full-time

Pros

I built some really wonderful friendships there. I valued the opportunity to work on consumer software without leaving Michigan. Sincerely believe that this engineering department is the most talented in the state. Very progressive QA team.

Cons

Executive leadership struggles to provide vision and direction. At the same time, executive leadership has a habit for micromanaging. Salary not competitive. Absence of on-boarding program. Leadership misunderstands what it means to be an agile shop and seems to be resistant to training staff in agile.

Advice to Management

Stop that.

5. Graphic design intern

Pros

Very nice people, pays well

Cons

Lots of stock photo searching

6. TechSmith review

Pros

Really relaxed environment for technical employees, excellent personal benefits, fun coworkers, short work hours, excellent pay for the cost of living

Cons

Only a few exciting projects, some teams had more prestige than others, location is not ideal, hierarchy of teams and even job titles makes little sense

A mixed bag

I worked at TechSmith full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, relaxed culture. I truly believe everyone means well.

Cons

There is a great inconsistency on what your life will be like as a Software Engineer (or similar) or as a Sales/Marketing employee. In departments across the board, advancement opportunities can be hard to come by, and there is no defined career path. In general, the decision making process seems to be very slow, and sadly you can see those effects in their current and future business.

Family friendly, Google-like

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Okemos, MI
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Okemos, MI

I have been working at TechSmith full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Techsmith is very family friendly and is usually flexible about hours and required travel. People try to work together and are professional. Lots of great ideas.

Cons

I often wish there was more definitive direction from higher-up management.

Great place to work in Michigan

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at TechSmith full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance, variety of products and services to work on (cloud/web/mobile/desktop), very friendly and passionate people, good community standing, opportunity to work with (some) newer technologies. The company took some internal criticism for reinventing itself over the past few years and having a few false starts and vague goals, but I felt positive about the direction and vision toward the end of my tenure.

Cons

Somewhat soft growth & reward structure

Advice to Management

Continue to develop and encourage current and potential leaders at all levels, matching responsibility with accountability and compensation. Keep up the great (and sometimes painful) work of growing, innovating, and adapting.

Great place to learn and grow but not a lot of opportunities to move up

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Okemos, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Okemos, MI

I have been working at TechSmith full-time

Pros

I've had the opportunity to do a lot and learn a lot. My coworkers are smart terrific people.

Cons

Middle management is frustrating and ineffective. There aren't a lot of opportunities to move up. There seems to be a focus and reward for idea people and less for execution especially on the business side.

Advice to Management

Don't micromanage. Support your staff and give them the tools they need, but allow them to grow and seek out opportunities and ideas. You don't need to control everything. You hired people because you thought they could do the job, trust that and give them space to do their work.

Fun and Rewarding Company!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Okemos, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Okemos, MI

I worked at TechSmith (More than a year)

Pros

The work can be challenging - but the culture is great! Coworkers were always very friendly, supportive, lots of laughter. Management really does care about you as an individual, receptive to new ideas and support the 'open door' policy in place. They put their money where their mouth is - dedicating resources towards personal and professional development, lots of perks and activities that make for an enjoyable company culture, and support the local community in all sorts of different ways. Awesome place to work if you have the chance!

Cons

There's always room for improvement with communication; especially in a company that has so many different project/teams/initiatives working all the time. But overall - still a great company to work with.

RSS Feed </> Embed