TechSoup Global

Be The First To
Add Photos

Rebecca Masisak

Great intentions, confused strategy

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsReally nice people, most of whom have worked for TechSoup for at least several years. Great cause and impressive history.

ConsThe organization has evolved an unusual structure where it's not clear how different teams work together. It's the nature of their business - yes, it's a non-profit but it's very much a business - but the donor businesses seem to run things, which compromises the use of best of breed technology.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate and distribute a clear organizational chart and keep it up to date.

Great organization

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsTechsoup is an extremely effective nonprofit, run like a business, empowering hundreds of other nonprofits. It's an intense, fast-paced atmosphere, but most colleagues are fun to be around. Compensation is less than at startups, but better than most nonprofits and benefits are excellent.

ConsLike many organizations, the atmosphere can be political, and success can depend on who is your manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to input from all employees, not just the most recently recruited management hotshots.

Really love TechSoup

ProsI'm nearing my 6-year anniversary at TechSoup and am surprised by how negative the reviews are on GlassDoor by (mostly) former employees. I have enjoyed the work culture here at TechSoup, where I've been supported to grow, apply for new roles, and learn. As someone who received donations through TS before working here, I know how important our programs are, so I'm happy to play a part in providing those services to other nonprofits. I've found TechSoup to be supportive of creativity in finding solutions to problems, and flexible with allowing staff to work remotely.

ConsThere are times when communication from leadership isn't very clear, but that's something I know is being worked on by holding "town hall" staff meetings and updating us with all-staff emails. There was a lot of tumult with a recent reorganization (fall 2012), but much of that shifting has settled down now (early 2014), and I know people weren't happy with how teams were shifted, staff was moved, and even some folks were laid off. I hope we don't have to go through that again anytime soon, because I know it was painful for all of us.

Advice to Senior ManagementI hope that the top leadership continues to improve communication around their strategy planning to the rest of us.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Using technology to accelerate social change is only as great as the leaders executing it

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTech Soup is positioned to great things in the world, not just the local nonprofit scene.

ConsIn the last year - retention of institutional knowledge has cascaded out the door. Dozens of people have left the company, including true visionaries in technical investment and planning. The response by the organization has been to spend months bad mouthing these people, then declaring the budget is too short to replace them. The actual technical leadership and planning vacuum that has created will be difficult at this point to overcome.

It has created nothing but distrust and discontent among those left in the trenches actually delivering products, or at least trying to. In all hands meetings our current work is dismissed as the old way - with all dice being thrown at a new way - that senior management clearly doesn't understand, but won't or cannot admit mistakes.

Retaining employees requires more than literally saying in an all hands meeting "if you don't like it you can leave" - and "clearly we need to start raising standards and getting rid of people that don't measure up". It's why I couldn't bring myself to come to work any more and explored new opportunities, finally taking their advice and leaving.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management reads these reviews here on Glassdoor; and that's probably a good thing - because all the negative reviews here lay at their feet. The only way you will get what you want from your insanely talented but exhausted workforce is to do a whole lot less talking and more doing. More getting out and understanding what your employees actually do for you. Less relying on consultants working in remote offices making global decisions for those of us 100 feet from your office door.

Wonderful mission - it's the management execution that is lacking

(Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsTechSoup at its best gives more benefits and service to the nonprofit community than any other comparable nonprofit. Its dedication to helping the smallest guys get stronger is amazing. Staff are smart, quick and caring. Have never worked with more compassionate and invested people than found at TechSoup. Very competitive benefits (even if salary doesn't keep up).

ConsSenior management, and unfortunately the CEO particularly have risen (say Peter Principle again) to their absolute level of incompetence. These 'professionals' are afraid of acting like grown-ups, they hide and hope for the best rather than deal with issues in an adult fashion. Rather than act they wait for some impossible perfect 'right' action or direction. Why be in senior management if you can't handle the pressures or have the skills to do so?

Advice to Senior ManagementHoping the TechSoup board reads these reviews - the organization is deserving of caring, competent and capable management, and that absolutely does not exist today. If senior management was capable of change, they'd have done it by now. Outside intervention clearly is needed to keep the organization moving forward.

Fantastic people, terrible leadership, complete lack of accountability at the top.

(Current Employee)

ProsThe vast majority of the people who work there are fanstastic. Techsoup Global's mission and what it's accomplished are really laudible. The pay is low relative to corporate jobs but the benefits are really good.

ConsThe CEO is lost and attacks anyone who contradicts her. There is also a complete lack of business plan for the future, which starts at the top as well. This fosters an environment where those who cater to the CEO are awarded, and those who do not are punished. At the moment, there isn't a single department that is happy with how things are progressing.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually listen to your staff. Stop demonizing them when they point out possible pitfalls in planning. Take some responsibility for your actions! Stop rewarding people who haven't produced a single success in years and just tell you what you want to hear.

TechSoup has an incredible mission, by the upper management doesn't put enough trust in the Director level hires.

Account Management Specialist (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe mission of this organization is so inspiring and the people working there, for the most part, are driven to serve the nonprofits that need help.

ConsUpper management doesn't allow the second tier leaders to lead. Of late the organization doesn't seem to have the clear direction it used to and feels as though they're grasping at ways to remain meaningful.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have hired some very smart people within the organization. You would do yourselves a great service to step back and let them do the work you've hired them to do.

Leadership is ultimately responsible for the success or failure of an organization.

Withheld (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGood benefits. Appealing mission. Good location.

ConsMorale is at an all time low and declining. Market conditions are eroding the value of the boxed software donation service that forms the backbone of their revenue stream. Leadership has been unable to adjust to this new reality and blames its employees' commitment to the organization for its ongoing failure.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf an organization's culture declines under the stewardship of a particular group of leaders then by definition they have failed to lead effectively. Blaming employees for an organizations' inability to adapt to changing market conditions, and for their loss of morale in the face of managerial failure, is highly corrosive. An effective board must recognize when a change in leadership is needed and respond aggressively to right the ship.

Intern Satisfaction is a Low Priority

Intern (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros- Ability to help out nonprofits
    - Given substantial responsibility

Cons- Interns do more work than regular employees
    - Interns never receive e-mail address or key card to the office
    - Interns are important when work need to be done, but are ignored when recognition is made

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow through on your offers. If you offer paid contractor position. Look at things from the intern perspective, offer them something of benefit. Don't just focus on the benefits to TechSoup.

Decent place to work if you can find a place to thrive

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsStrong focus on life/work balance
    Great thought leadership
    Flexible work hours, decent benefits and generous holidays

ConsParalyzed executive decision making on great ideas
    Poor execution by program leadership
    Chaos seems to be preferred over thoughtful and organized approaches to management and execution
    No opportunity to move into leadership roles; boxed out by political favorites

Advice to Senior ManagementCo-CEOs should bring in consultants to coach and re-structure how the Organization functions in every way. Decision by consensus equals chaos.

Worked for TechSoup Global? Contribute to the Community!