TechSoup Global Reviews

Rebecca Masisak

Internal System Support

Current Employee - Anomymous in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anomymous in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at TechSoup Global full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent work/home balance, scheduling flexibility, fun and engaging coworkers, challenging and engaging work, plenty of sick and vacation time, Paid winter vacation every year, well established intranet makes it easy for teams to collaborate and see what others are working on, Plenty of good meeting rooms available with projectors and VoIP phones

Cons

They believe in "not for profit" salary rates, which means you'll be making less than industry standard. Open office space makes it hard to focus on getting work done.

Advice to Management

If you want to attract and maintain top quality talent, then you need to compensate people appropriately and give us quiet work spaces so we can focus.

Unclear, but ambitious goals

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at TechSoup Global as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

"Think big" is certainly happening, which of course has its risk. Company is holding on to its roots (core product) which is good.

Cons

Company could improve internal communication to get internal buy-in for the big plan. Due to this company has lost some really good people.

Advice to Management

Appreciate employees and try to make counter offer when "keepers" want to leave. There are some really good people; management needs to identify them and nurture them.

Not who they say they are

I worked at TechSoup Global full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Staff is friendly

Employees are creative and sincere

Cons

Senior executives are overrated and are not organized

A lot of employees work is showcased, however employees do not get credit for it

All senior executives are very close and aligned with one another

Understaffed, no growth or direction

Mislead employees on to just take credit for their work and then just lay them off

Executives are very unethical and do not really care about the work that they do for NGOs

Would not recommend anyone working for them. You will be disappointed.

I found out that my work was to be used as a trophy for team to showcase and say that they created it when they didn't participate or give feedback on project at all

Advice to Management

Get new senior executives and really take a close look at what goes on behind the scenes. These executives who are the face of your company are very unorganized and shouldn't be in high level positions to make decisions

Great org with a great mission

I have been working at TechSoup Global full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Friendly and diverse staff are very committed to bringing technology to the non-profit world. Great location!

Cons

Directors and senior management are expected to be loyal to CEO and on-board with all decisions, regardless of the wisdom of that direction. Sticking your neck out puts it on the chopping block. There are a few clear favorites in the "new guard" that are allowed to do anything they like, wasting a very limited budget on pet projects and redundant systems.

Advice to Management

The current technology direction is much too costly. It's time to reassess the technology decisions and put in an experienced CIO or CTO. The board needs to lean on the CEO to back away from technical decisions and recruit an experienced, senior technology leader (of which there are none at the org as of October 2014).

Saddened at how little has changed in the last 2 years since restructuring of the company.

I have been working at TechSoup Global full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The biggest pros are the talented people who work here and their dedication to the mission of the company. The work life balance is good and the staff care about one another.

Cons

I second most of what's written by everyone else. I'll add as well that there are so many layers in the hierarchy that there is a chasm between those who do the work and those who make the decisions that impact the outcome of the work being done. As a result, staff are set up to do shoddy work and this creates chronic morale issues. It's a wonder how much we get done in this climate, but to be fair this seems to be working for those at the top so perhaps the company is moving more towards a top down command and control culture and those of us looking for something different should find someplace else where we can have a greater impact and job satisfaction.

Advice to Management

With all that's said above I do appreciate the efforts made to address staff concerns. However, it comes across as hollow if you don't follow through. There should be a position created with authority to address the concerns of the staff. Someone who not only looks at job satisfaction, but can at the executive level help coach the Senior Management to improve their communications, their decision making and their accountability. This position should be filled by someone who has no connection to the company, i.e. no former connection with any of the executive staff, so that we have an outsiders perspective.

50 Shades of Techsoup

I have been working at TechSoup Global

Pros

Its mission
    Work flexibility
    Extremely casual attire
    Product donation program
    Decent working computers provided
    Employment longivity -at least for now
    The morjority of the staff is pleasant to work with.

Cons

Wages are low - raises are few
    Terrible neighborhood
    Over rated management staff
    Heavy reliance on product donors
    Under staffed
    Over worked
    General overall feeling of "this place sucks"
    No training...no time for it
    No personal growth path...its talked about but never implemented
    Open staff seating which is very distracting
    No employee purks
    I could keep going on and on

Advice to Management

YOU NEED TO GO...

CEO...COO...CIO.... MUST BE REPLACED

Amazing mission, great people but leadership and vision are lacking

I have been working at TechSoup Global full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's astounding how much good is accomplished at TechSoup. People put their hearts into their work, and most have the good of nonprofits at the center of what they do each day. In a competitive San Francisco market, salaries and benefits are good for a nonprofit, and there can be a change to really help the world if you are in the right job.

Cons

After reading the reviews here, it's disheartening to see the same problems repeating. CEO is WAY over her head, and it shows in the lack of cooperation between the senior management and how major teams are totally unaligned. Focus rarely is on how to efficiently manage day to day work, but more in wildly speculative ideas that are unworkable and drain scarce resources. Favorites are selected based upon loyalty, not for ability and that's taking its toll on many staff members.

Advice to Management

Where individuals can find a niche for their own efforts, it can be a really nice place to work, but for most staff the dysfunctional management style and structure is painful and confusing. It seems as if some people would like to find a way to cooperate together, but the CEO appears to want teams to compete, rather than collaborate. What a sad misuse of time and energy. Don't think the board is, or will ever be able to impact this while the current CEO is in charge.

9. I worked as a summer intern for two months

Former Intern - Global Network in San Francisco, CA
    Former Intern - Global Network in San Francisco, CA

I worked at TechSoup Global as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great workplace atmosphere, helpful and available staff, excellent involvement with different levels of the organization. I was only there for two months but would definitely work there full time.

Cons

I would have liked there to be more intern activities and meetings to help involve us in the company more and get to know each other better.

10. Great people doing great things but room for improvement in the leadership department

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at TechSoup Global full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are very nice and very interesting. Really interesting mix of people from the corporate world and the NGO sector. They find people first and then find a position for them. They are very willing to work with you if you want to take on certain projects. Compensation and benefits are good in comparison to the sector. Work-life balance is good

Cons

Projects can get stuck due to unclear reporting lines. Would love to see more coordination across departments which is lacking at the moment.

Advice to Management

Improve organizational structure as you continue to grow.

11. Nice and friendly work environment

Current Contractor - Desktop Support Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Contractor - Desktop Support Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at TechSoup Global as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

nice and friendly people around

Cons

I don't think it is any way to career grows.