TechSoup Global

Add Photos

Rebecca Masisak

Really love TechSoup

I have been working at TechSoup Global full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI'm nearing my 6-year anniversary at TechSoup and am surprised by how negative the reviews are on GlassDoor by (mostly) former employees. I have enjoyed the work culture here at TechSoup, where I've been supported to grow, apply for new roles, and learn. As someone who received donations through TS before working here, I know how important our programs are, so I'm happy to play a part in providing those services to other nonprofits. I've found TechSoup to be supportive of creativity in finding solutions to problems, and flexible with allowing staff to work remotely.

ConsThere are times when communication from leadership isn't very clear, but that's something I know is being worked on by holding "town hall" staff meetings and updating us with all-staff emails. There was a lot of tumult with a recent reorganization (fall 2012), but much of that shifting has settled down now (early 2014), and I know people weren't happy with how teams were shifted, staff was moved, and even some folks were laid off. I hope we don't have to go through that again anytime soon, because I know it was painful for all of us.

Advice to Senior ManagementI hope that the top leadership continues to improve communication around their strategy planning to the rest of us.

Using technology to accelerate social change is only as great as the leaders executing it

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at TechSoup Global full-time for more than 8 years

ProsTech Soup is positioned to great things in the world, not just the local nonprofit scene.

ConsIn the last year - retention of institutional knowledge has cascaded out the door. Dozens of people have left the company, including true visionaries in technical investment and planning. The response by the organization has been to spend months bad mouthing these people, then declaring the budget is too short to replace them. The actual technical leadership and planning vacuum that has created will be difficult at this point to overcome.

It has created nothing but distrust and discontent among those left in the trenches actually delivering products, or at least trying to. In all hands meetings our current work is dismissed as the old way - with all dice being thrown at a new way - that senior management clearly doesn't understand, but won't or cannot admit mistakes.

Retaining employees requires more than literally saying in an all hands meeting "if you don't like it you can leave" - and "clearly we need to start raising standards and getting rid of people that don't measure up". It's why I couldn't bring myself to come to work any more and explored new opportunities, finally taking their advice and leaving.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management reads these reviews here on Glassdoor; and that's probably a good thing - because all the negative reviews here lay at their feet. The only way you will get what you want from your insanely talented but exhausted workforce is to do a whole lot less talking and more doing. More getting out and understanding what your employees actually do for you. Less relying on consultants working in remote offices making global decisions for those of us 100 feet from your office door.

Wonderful mission - it's the management execution that is lacking

I have been working at TechSoup Global full-time for more than 5 years

ProsTechSoup at its best gives more benefits and service to the nonprofit community than any other comparable nonprofit. Its dedication to helping the smallest guys get stronger is amazing. Staff are smart, quick and caring. Have never worked with more compassionate and invested people than found at TechSoup. Very competitive benefits (even if salary doesn't keep up).

ConsSenior management, and unfortunately the CEO particularly have risen (say Peter Principle again) to their absolute level of incompetence. These 'professionals' are afraid of acting like grown-ups, they hide and hope for the best rather than deal with issues in an adult fashion. Rather than act they wait for some impossible perfect 'right' action or direction. Why be in senior management if you can't handle the pressures or have the skills to do so?

Advice to Senior ManagementHoping the TechSoup board reads these reviews - the organization is deserving of caring, competent and capable management, and that absolutely does not exist today. If senior management was capable of change, they'd have done it by now. Outside intervention clearly is needed to keep the organization moving forward.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fantastic people, terrible leadership, complete lack of accountability at the top.

I have been working at TechSoup Global full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe vast majority of the people who work there are fanstastic. Techsoup Global's mission and what it's accomplished are really laudible. The pay is low relative to corporate jobs but the benefits are really good.

ConsThe CEO is lost and attacks anyone who contradicts her. There is also a complete lack of business plan for the future, which starts at the top as well. This fosters an environment where those who cater to the CEO are awarded, and those who do not are punished. At the moment, there isn't a single department that is happy with how things are progressing.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually listen to your staff. Stop demonizing them when they point out possible pitfalls in planning. Take some responsibility for your actions! Stop rewarding people who haven't produced a single success in years and just tell you what you want to hear.

TechSoup has an incredible mission, by the upper management doesn't put enough trust in the Director level hires.

Account Management Specialist (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at TechSoup Global full-time for more than a year

ProsThe mission of this organization is so inspiring and the people working there, for the most part, are driven to serve the nonprofits that need help.

ConsUpper management doesn't allow the second tier leaders to lead. Of late the organization doesn't seem to have the clear direction it used to and feels as though they're grasping at ways to remain meaningful.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have hired some very smart people within the organization. You would do yourselves a great service to step back and let them do the work you've hired them to do.

Leadership is ultimately responsible for the success or failure of an organization.

Withheld (Former Employee)

I worked at TechSoup Global full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood benefits. Appealing mission. Good location.

ConsMorale is at an all time low and declining. Market conditions are eroding the value of the boxed software donation service that forms the backbone of their revenue stream. Leadership has been unable to adjust to this new reality and blames its employees' commitment to the organization for its ongoing failure.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf an organization's culture declines under the stewardship of a particular group of leaders then by definition they have failed to lead effectively. Blaming employees for an organizations' inability to adapt to changing market conditions, and for their loss of morale in the face of managerial failure, is highly corrosive. An effective board must recognize when a change in leadership is needed and respond aggressively to right the ship.

Intern Satisfaction is a Low Priority

Intern (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at TechSoup Global as an intern for less than a year

Pros- Ability to help out nonprofits
- Given substantial responsibility

Cons- Interns do more work than regular employees
- Interns never receive e-mail address or key card to the office
- Interns are important when work need to be done, but are ignored when recognition is made

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow through on your offers. If you offer paid contractor position. Look at things from the intern perspective, offer them something of benefit. Don't just focus on the benefits to TechSoup.

Decent place to work if you can find a place to thrive

I have been working at TechSoup Global full-time for more than 3 years

ProsStrong focus on life/work balance
Great thought leadership
Flexible work hours, decent benefits and generous holidays

ConsParalyzed executive decision making on great ideas
Poor execution by program leadership
Chaos seems to be preferred over thoughtful and organized approaches to management and execution
No opportunity to move into leadership roles; boxed out by political favorites

Advice to Senior ManagementCo-CEOs should bring in consultants to coach and re-structure how the Organization functions in every way. Decision by consensus equals chaos.

I love working for TechSoup Global, amazing people, amazing mission, amazing benefits!

Recruiter (Current Employee)

I have been working at TechSoup Global

ProsAt TSG it is all about the people! Our big diverse group is making a global difference, adding great value to what other nonprofits are doing!!! Even on a bad day, and we all have them, I go home knowing I am doing good works on a global scale!
I am super lucky to work here and thank my lucky stars!!!
Check us out at www.techsoupglobal.org!

ConsAs a global technology nonprofit in the Bay Area it is hard to compete against the for profit salaries and find the kind of tech savvy talent we need.
Thank goodness for our work/life balance and benefit package which makes up the difference!

Advice to Senior ManagementOur org chart is very very complex and it is very challenging for our new hires to understand who to go to for what? Thankfully we are great at welcoming people on board and have so many talented folks who have worked here for many, many years to offer help and guidance!

Company formerly known as Compumentor offers no mentorship, and promotes the lackeys

Customer Service (Current Employee)

I have been working at TechSoup Global

ProsIf you want a job with low expectation and weak deliverables, it is a pretty cush spot. Benefits are good. Culture and many people are good too.

ConsThe wages are an embarrassment for a $20m company that doesn't pay taxes. Your lip service is insulting. Stop BS-ing people. Just say 'no' when the answer is no. A reason would be nice. A can-do attitude would be better.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have too many directors. Stop promoting people who always agree with you. Offer career paths, mentorship, and better education reimbursement plans for dedicated employees who want to become more valuable to the company!

Worked for TechSoup Global? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at TechSoup Global reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for TechSoup Global CEO Rebecca Masisak. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by TechSoup Global employees.