TechTarget

Updated November 22, 2014
Updated November 22, 2014

TechTarget Chairman and CEO Greg Strakosch
Greg Strakosch

Pros
  • Generally OK to work from home, though that seems to be changing depending on what group you belong to (in 25 reviews)

• there used to be a great work-life balance and an autonomous environment (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone unless you're unemployed (because low pay is better than no pay, right (in 10 reviews)

• 30K (even for an entry level position) is unlivable with student loans, car payments, etc (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Good job for experience and environment but not the most exciting

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I worked at TechTarget as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Very nice people (at least in editorial), relaxed atmosphere, lots of flexibility, free food and drinks, generally a pretty low-stress and friendly place

Cons

Not a ton of challenge or change once you've learned the ropes, generally low level of interest in material by the people creating it, office often feels pretty empty because of how many people work from home

I do not think that word means what you think it means

Former Employee - Senior Editor in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Editor in Newton, MA

I worked at TechTarget full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It was an actual reporting and writing job. If you are the kind of reporter who has already given up on any concept of work-life balance and lives for tracking down stories about Microsoft products, this could be the job for you.

Many smart and interesting people pass through these doors.

Cons

Unfortunately, a lot of the ones who stay are not so smart, and can be mean if they feel threatened.

I experienced pointless micromanaging, down to how I took notes and which way I faced when sitting at my desk. If you need to actually hear the phone calls you're making, this may not be the place for you. I was also chastised by people who felt I ought to be able to drive from my home to the office faster -- they'd want me in a phone call from home at 9:30 and demand that I reach the office by 10. Not legally possible, and I never did figure out why they even cared.

Although during the interview process they emphasized "journalistic ethics", my supervisors' idea of "ethics" fell a little short. If sources in the field did not agree with the storyline the higher-ups had pre-determined, the whole story would get thrown out. Made it hard to build relationships of trust with either sources or readers. I was told to find sources who would agree to have quotes I invented (supporting the pre-determined storyline) attributed to them, rather than finding out what the sources actually observed.

There was also a tendency for people to declare themselves "experts" on technology they clearly didn't understand -- leading to editorial decisions that undermined the sense and integrity of stories.

Finally, the irrational and mechanistic reliance on hit scores led to mandates like, "Find more ways to put 'free' in the headlines."

Be honest with yourselves and your hires about the priorities here -- more than most trade publications, this one is really just the tissue paper between the thin mints, where the advertising and contact-list accumulation are the mints.

Great place to work. Great and interesting industry. Generally good co-workers, with a few notable exceptions.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I have been working at TechTarget full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility - ability to work from home, free sodas & water and generally not evil people. Fast-paced environment works for me.

Cons

Lack of experienced senior management. Low salaries makes recruiting new hires difficult. Sales dominates the company and everyone else (editorial, operations, client managers) suffers because of it. As a mid career professional, it was refreshing to see a young, vibrant company with its future ahead of it. Some of that has faded lately, but not so much that I don't want to work here anymore.

Well, based on what I'm reading it's 'pay more' to your junior and editorial staff.

Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Newton, MA

I worked at TechTarget full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to start, the people are great and it does have a relaxed atmosphere

Cons

The pay is awful, and they won't offer you more...until you move unfortunately.

The people make the experience, but it's not enough

I have been working at TechTarget full-time

Pros

You have the potential to meet some really great people that will be around for years to come and the casual work environment with casual clothing permissible for the most part (obviously unless meeting current or potential clients) really takes of the stress of getting ready for work.

Cons

The company is too top heavy with main power/management residing in Newton, there is way below market pay, confusing growth path/career potential, and people are openly job searching. All of this creates a really confusing office culture, and something isn't quite clicking.

You have to centralize more power/management in the offices outside of Newton. And for some positions either pay people more for the work they do or hire more people to split up the work.

Unethical, cut throat

I worked at TechTarget full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Loved my co-workers, built long-term friendships, bagel Wednesdays, fun company parties/outings

Cons

Above a few negative comments I could make, this is the worst of all: I left the company about a year ago when I found out that my boss had done something extremely unethical with my revenue numbers. Let's just say his "playing with the numbers" made him look really good, and made me look really bad. Without going into detail, this was a person that I had trusted and believed to have my best interest at heart. I could not have been more wrong. To have worked as hard as I did (and have been EXTREMELY underpaid for the amount of work and hours I put in) I was dumb-founded when I found out what had been done. There are some wonderful people in upper management that are great and work VERY hard, but unfortunately, it's the people that have been there the longest that yield the most power. Very cut throat environment - sink or swim. Managers play favorites - I'm sure this is common in many work places, but unfortunately with this company, it can make the difference of making $35k vs $70k (for the same amount/level of work). Account disbursement is luck-of-the-draw at first. If you are given great accounts from the get-go, you will do well. If you are given mostly poor accounts, it will take a VERY long time to prove yourself and work your way up.

If you don't treat your employees fairly, your high turnover rate will never improve. Also, if you started hiring people with more experience (vs new grads) and were willing to pay them more, your business would be SO much more efficient.

Once great company

I worked at TechTarget full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

there used to be a great work-life balance and an autonomous environment
    bagel Wednesdays
    soda/waters
    quarterly pizza
    gym in building

Cons

The company used to be great but it's fallen into a culture of panic and blame and it starts close to the top. Lots of turnover in management leads to new managers not knowing what's going on. I found that if I had a question, it would never get an answer - or I would get told to "ask someone else". When things would go wrong, you screamed at either in private (like - one on one in a room) or just out in the open. Don't try to take a vacation either, you will be talked about when you're not there. Multiple times I heard management yell "where the blank is (employee)??!!". You hear people cursing out other employees behind their back on a regular basis. Witnessing management do this is pretty bad as an employee. Try to keep it professional.
    This brings me to my next point, most of these new managers take plenty of vacation time, while the people who have been there for a long time either don't take vacation, or are given a hard time about it. I imagine it's because the people who have been there a long time are the ones actually doing the work and the managers likely can't do it without them. If *still* don't know how to log in to your system, it's probably hard for you to do work.
    the health insurance was also terrible.

Office culture is terrible. I really don't know how to fix it aside from going back in time
    Maybe stop telling your employees that you don't care. Lead by example.
    Make sure all policies are being followed, multiple times I would see MY name on a document I didn't create.

overworked and underappreciated

Current Employee - Associate Editor in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Associate Editor in Newton, MA

I have been working at TechTarget full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

open leave policy, ability to work from home, flexible hours, decent health and dental benefits, no real dress code, great place to work as a new grad

Cons

low pay, high rate of employee turnover -- and they often dont fill those positions, which means if someone on your team leaves, their work gets spread out across other members of the team who are often already overworked. promotions and raises are few and far between and dont come when employees really deserve them. Open leave policy makes me feel like i can never take time off because they make a point to remind us not to "abuse" it, but dont explain what would constitute abuse of the policy. Also, they tout the fact that they're on the list of Boston's best places to work, but that's because they send around a survey to employees and basically force us to fill it out. Also, the editorial department is basically the reason TT makes money, yet everyone only cares about the Sales and Marketing departments. They would have nothing to sell or market without Editorial, so I dont know why the leadership loves them so much. It would be nice for them to throw Editorial a bone once in a while.

My direct manager is awesome, but his boss is kind of a dope and above that person, everyone is mean. I have gotten in trouble for asking questions of them before. One person in particular is a straight up curmudgeon for what appears to be no reason. I dont know how anyone works directly with him.

Run as quick as you can!

Former Employee - Web Producer in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Web Producer in Newton, MA

I worked at TechTarget as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I was hired as an intern at TechTarget and was told that the actual work will start in a week.

Cons

In the meantime, all I was doing was sitting there and staring at the screen, while company was running me through meetings.

In the end, they did gave me one assignment four days after I was hired and that was about it.

Can't think think of anything more pathetic than a company that hires interns just to hire someone else internally and TechTarget is one of those companies.

Step down.

Works for me!

I have been working at TechTarget full-time

Pros

I've been at TechTarget many years and have been very happy with company all the perks. Work/home flexibility is fantastic. Open door policy is great. Stock options. 401k match. Bagels. Coffee. Soda and water. Quarterly parties. Health Insurance is good. If you work hard you are rewarded... if you have a great manager.

Cons

In general the salaries could be a little higher. But my salary is comparable in the field.

Not much room for growth... takes a long time.

I don't like the cubicle farm, I wish the layout was a little friendlier.

TechTarget Photos