TechTarget Reviews

Updated October 30, 2014
Updated October 30, 2014

TechTarget Chairman and CEO Greg Strakosch
Greg Strakosch

Pros
  • Generally OK to work from home, though that seems to be changing depending on what group you belong to (in 24 reviews)

• Great people, relaxed work environment, open leave policy, free bagels on Wed, free coffee, tea water and sodas (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone unless you're unemployed (because low pay is better than no pay, right (in 10 reviews)

• 30K (even for an entry level position) is unlivable with student loans, car payments, etc (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Newton, MA

I worked at TechTarget full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to start, the people are great and it does have a relaxed atmosphere

Cons

The pay is awful, and they won't offer you more...until you move unfortunately.

Once great company

I worked at TechTarget full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

there used to be a great work-life balance and an autonomous environment
    bagel Wednesdays
    soda/waters
    quarterly pizza
    gym in building

Cons

The company used to be great but it's fallen into a culture of panic and blame and it starts close to the top. Lots of turnover in management leads to new managers not knowing what's going on. I found that if I had a question, it would never get an answer - or I would get told to "ask someone else". When things would go wrong, you screamed at either in private (like - one on one in a room) or just out in the open. Don't try to take a vacation either, you will be talked about when you're not there. Multiple times I heard management yell "where the blank is (employee)??!!". You hear people cursing out other employees behind their back on a regular basis. Witnessing management do this is pretty bad as an employee. Try to keep it professional.
    This brings me to my next point, most of these new managers take plenty of vacation time, while the people who have been there for a long time either don't take vacation, or are given a hard time about it. I imagine it's because the people who have been there a long time are the ones actually doing the work and the managers likely can't do it without them. If *still* don't know how to log in to your system, it's probably hard for you to do work.
    the health insurance was also terrible.

Office culture is terrible. I really don't know how to fix it aside from going back in time
    Maybe stop telling your employees that you don't care. Lead by example.
    Make sure all policies are being followed, multiple times I would see MY name on a document I didn't create.

overworked and underappreciated

Current Employee - Associate Editor in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Associate Editor in Newton, MA

I have been working at TechTarget full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

open leave policy, ability to work from home, flexible hours, decent health and dental benefits, no real dress code, great place to work as a new grad

Cons

low pay, high rate of employee turnover -- and they often dont fill those positions, which means if someone on your team leaves, their work gets spread out across other members of the team who are often already overworked. promotions and raises are few and far between and dont come when employees really deserve them. Open leave policy makes me feel like i can never take time off because they make a point to remind us not to "abuse" it, but dont explain what would constitute abuse of the policy. Also, they tout the fact that they're on the list of Boston's best places to work, but that's because they send around a survey to employees and basically force us to fill it out. Also, the editorial department is basically the reason TT makes money, yet everyone only cares about the Sales and Marketing departments. They would have nothing to sell or market without Editorial, so I dont know why the leadership loves them so much. It would be nice for them to throw Editorial a bone once in a while.

My direct manager is awesome, but his boss is kind of a dope and above that person, everyone is mean. I have gotten in trouble for asking questions of them before. One person in particular is a straight up curmudgeon for what appears to be no reason. I dont know how anyone works directly with him.

Run as quick as you can!

Former Employee - Web Producer in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Web Producer in Newton, MA

I worked at TechTarget as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I was hired as an intern at TechTarget and was told that the actual work will start in a week.

Cons

In the meantime, all I was doing was sitting there and staring at the screen, while company was running me through meetings.

In the end, they did gave me one assignment four days after I was hired and that was about it.

Can't think think of anything more pathetic than a company that hires interns just to hire someone else internally and TechTarget is one of those companies.

Step down.

Works for me!

I have been working at TechTarget full-time

Pros

I've been at TechTarget many years and have been very happy with company all the perks. Work/home flexibility is fantastic. Open door policy is great. Stock options. 401k match. Bagels. Coffee. Soda and water. Quarterly parties. Health Insurance is good. If you work hard you are rewarded... if you have a great manager.

Cons

In general the salaries could be a little higher. But my salary is comparable in the field.

Not much room for growth... takes a long time.

I don't like the cubicle farm, I wish the layout was a little friendlier.

Good place for college grads to get experience...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I worked at TechTarget full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The majority of the people are fantastic to work with. Company overall has a very young workforce and depending on your manager, the work from home benefit can be really nice. Soft benefits like bagel Wednesday and free coffee/water/soda are an added perk. Good location, public transportation is easy to get to if you need it.

Cons

Compensation is an absolute joke and the open-leave policy sounds really good, but in reality people end up feeling guilty for taking time off, so they take less or none. Some managers/directors are hard to work with and make it obvious that they have no respect for you professionally, especially within the marketing department, and in extreme cases have driven some people to leave the company. There is very little training because no one has time, it's more sink or swim. There is also a massive disconnect between the different departments - collaboration/cross-departmental communication is basically non-existent. Everyone thinks their way is the best way.

Employee turnover is extremely high, mostly because of the horrible pay... people end up getting completely burnt out. Health benefits are okay, not the best. Professional growth varies heavily depending on what department you work for but overall it is pretty limited.

If you want to stop the high turnover, invest in your employees!!!! People will continue to come in fresh out of college, (or if they're desperate for any job), get experience, and leave. Set up a more formal training process, maybe have a "buddy" system so people have someone they can go to with questions -- make sure that person isn't in meetings all day and is responsive to emails though.

Good Company Culture

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Newton, MA

I worked at TechTarget full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice people, somewhat laid-back environment. Gym access and building is very nice. Good health benefits. Flexible hours.

Cons

Lower-end of average salaries for most fields. The projects have unrealistic deadlines sometimes, and then you have to work a lot more. Once every two months I probably worked 55 hours/week. Some people work a lot more, if you do your work right the first time it doesn't needed extra time put in. IT side of company isn't as valued as the Sales department.

Stop hiring idiots that cause more work for everyone else. That and salary was why I quit.

Great company, great employer

I worked at TechTarget

Pros

Treated like an adult
    Awesome Growth opportunities

Cons

Complex Market, Crowded Space, Difficult Customers. These are more than five words.

Great Company, Awesome Benefits, HORRID pay

Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Newton, MA

I worked at TechTarget full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great flexible company, learned so much about media that I became very marketable. My manager was great, available at all times and willing to help when I needed it without breathing down my neck. Co-workers are great, though it is a very young office. Benefits are AWESOME, where else can you get 12 weeks PAID maternity leave?

Cons

Pay is very low, but they try to make up for it with other perks

Embraces entrepreneurial spirit, enables professional growth, and allows work-life balance

Former Employee - Global Sales in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Global Sales in Newton, MA

I worked at TechTarget full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Embodies an Entrepreneurial Spirit – workforce is motivated, ambitious, and dedicated. Provides a great work environment for highly competitive people who want to work hard.

Promotions/Benefits – promotions are synonymous with the fast-paced changes that happen fairly frequently. Healthcare benefits, open door policy, and free gym access

Professional Growth - I was at TechTarget almost 8 years and managed entry level, and global territories, a media group sales team, & managed vertical sales growth. Point: hard work is often rewarded with new challenges, opportunities, and professional growth.

Family friendly – it’s not 9-5 which enabled me to be both successful, and raise a family. In emergency situations, there were no questions asked. I will always be grateful for that support across layers of management.

You will work hard, and end up working in a rewarding environment, among smart, accountable colleagues. Great long-term company for growing professionally.

Cons

Frequent Change: Management is open minded to mix things up quickly, some people struggle with the change. Need to be equally open minded & willing to take on new challenges presented

21 pieces of flare? – because of the ambitious culture, barely “getting the job done” comes across as complacent & lazy. It’s very difficult to go on cruise control & expect to last long here.

Extremely fast paced – deadlines and timeframes are very quick, expected produce strong results in short times, while juggling multiple projects. Nature of the industry.

Open door policy – is great, but due to competitive nature, not many stroll out every day at 4 pm. Management known to do a brief walk through to see who is there on Fridays or around a holiday.

Create transparency to help anticipate change – might soften the blow for those times when there is a lot shaken up. Support those interested in philanthropy to make it more part of the TT culture. Have days outside of holidays dedicated as “office closed” – Marathon Monday for example.

TechTarget Photos