TechTarget Reviews

Updated September 10, 2014
Updated September 10, 2014

TechTarget Chairman and CEO Greg Strakosch
Greg Strakosch

Pros
  • Generally OK to work from home, though that seems to be changing depending on what group you belong to (in 22 reviews)

• TechTarget has the best work/life balance of anywhere I've ever been (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • 30K (even for an entry level position) is unlivable with student loans, car payments, etc (in 9 reviews)

• Work-life balance can be hard to achieve (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Works for me!

I have been working at TechTarget full-time

Pros

I've been at TechTarget many years and have been very happy with company all the perks. Work/home flexibility is fantastic. Open door policy is great. Stock options. 401k match. Bagels. Coffee. Soda and water. Quarterly parties. Health Insurance is good. If you work hard you are rewarded... if you have a great manager.

Cons

In general the salaries could be a little higher. But my salary is comparable in the field.

Not much room for growth... takes a long time.

I don't like the cubicle farm, I wish the layout was a little friendlier.

overworked and underappreciated

Current Employee - Associate Editor  in  Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Associate Editor in Newton, MA

I have been working at TechTarget full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

open leave policy, ability to work from home, flexible hours, decent health and dental benefits, no real dress code, great place to work as a new grad

Cons

low pay, high rate of employee turnover -- and they often dont fill those positions, which means if someone on your team leaves, their work gets spread out across other members of the team who are often already overworked. promotions and raises are few and far between and dont come when employees really deserve them. Open leave policy makes me feel like i can never take time off because they make a point to remind us not to "abuse" it, but dont explain what would constitute abuse of the policy. Also, they tout the fact that they're on the list of Boston's best places to work, but that's because they send around a survey to employees and basically force us to fill it out. Also, the editorial department is basically the reason TT makes money, yet everyone only cares about the Sales and Marketing departments. They would have nothing to sell or market without Editorial, so I dont know why the leadership loves them so much. It would be nice for them to throw Editorial a bone once in a while.

My direct manager is awesome, but his boss is kind of a dope and above that person, everyone is mean. I have gotten in trouble for asking questions of them before. One person in particular is a straight up curmudgeon for what appears to be no reason. I dont know how anyone works directly with him.

Good Company Culture

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Newton, MA

I worked at TechTarget full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice people, somewhat laid-back environment. Gym access and building is very nice. Good health benefits. Flexible hours.

Cons

Lower-end of average salaries for most fields. The projects have unrealistic deadlines sometimes, and then you have to work a lot more. Once every two months I probably worked 55 hours/week. Some people work a lot more, if you do your work right the first time it doesn't needed extra time put in. IT side of company isn't as valued as the Sales department.

Stop hiring idiots that cause more work for everyone else. That and salary was why I quit.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place for college grads to get experience...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I worked at TechTarget full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The majority of the people are fantastic to work with. Company overall has a very young workforce and depending on your manager, the work from home benefit can be really nice. Soft benefits like bagel Wednesday and free coffee/water/soda are an added perk. Good location, public transportation is easy to get to if you need it.

Cons

Compensation is an absolute joke and the open-leave policy sounds really good, but in reality people end up feeling guilty for taking time off, so they take less or none. Some managers/directors are hard to work with and make it obvious that they have no respect for you professionally, especially within the marketing department, and in extreme cases have driven some people to leave the company. There is very little training because no one has time, it's more sink or swim. There is also a massive disconnect between the different departments - collaboration/cross-departmental communication is basically non-existent. Everyone thinks their way is the best way.

Employee turnover is extremely high, mostly because of the horrible pay... people end up getting completely burnt out. Health benefits are okay, not the best. Professional growth varies heavily depending on what department you work for but overall it is pretty limited.

If you want to stop the high turnover, invest in your employees!!!! People will continue to come in fresh out of college, (or if they're desperate for any job), get experience, and leave. Set up a more formal training process, maybe have a "buddy" system so people have someone they can go to with questions -- make sure that person isn't in meetings all day and is responsive to emails though.

Great company, great employer

I worked at TechTarget

Pros

Treated like an adult
    Awesome Growth opportunities

Cons

Complex Market, Crowded Space, Difficult Customers. These are more than five words.

Great Company, Awesome Benefits, HORRID pay

Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager  in  Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Newton, MA

I worked at TechTarget full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great flexible company, learned so much about media that I became very marketable. My manager was great, available at all times and willing to help when I needed it without breathing down my neck. Co-workers are great, though it is a very young office. Benefits are AWESOME, where else can you get 12 weeks PAID maternity leave?

Cons

Pay is very low, but they try to make up for it with other perks

Embraces entrepreneurial spirit, enables professional growth, and allows work-life balance

Former Employee - Global Sales  in  Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Global Sales in Newton, MA

I worked at TechTarget full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Embodies an Entrepreneurial Spirit – workforce is motivated, ambitious, and dedicated. Provides a great work environment for highly competitive people who want to work hard.

Promotions/Benefits – promotions are synonymous with the fast-paced changes that happen fairly frequently. Healthcare benefits, open door policy, and free gym access

Professional Growth - I was at TechTarget almost 8 years and managed entry level, and global territories, a media group sales team, & managed vertical sales growth. Point: hard work is often rewarded with new challenges, opportunities, and professional growth.

Family friendly – it’s not 9-5 which enabled me to be both successful, and raise a family. In emergency situations, there were no questions asked. I will always be grateful for that support across layers of management.

You will work hard, and end up working in a rewarding environment, among smart, accountable colleagues. Great long-term company for growing professionally.

Cons

Frequent Change: Management is open minded to mix things up quickly, some people struggle with the change. Need to be equally open minded & willing to take on new challenges presented

21 pieces of flare? – because of the ambitious culture, barely “getting the job done” comes across as complacent & lazy. It’s very difficult to go on cruise control & expect to last long here.

Extremely fast paced – deadlines and timeframes are very quick, expected produce strong results in short times, while juggling multiple projects. Nature of the industry.

Open door policy – is great, but due to competitive nature, not many stroll out every day at 4 pm. Management known to do a brief walk through to see who is there on Fridays or around a holiday.

Create transparency to help anticipate change – might soften the blow for those times when there is a lot shaken up. Support those interested in philanthropy to make it more part of the TT culture. Have days outside of holidays dedicated as “office closed” – Marathon Monday for example.

Get in, learn as much as you can, and build it into something better elsewhere in a couple years

I worked at TechTarget

Pros

Collegial atmosphere - high amount of recent graduates in the 22-35 age demographic. On the hardest of days your co-workers will be the reason you made it through.

Soft benefits - bagel Wednesdays, free water/soda, casual work environment - although sometime it looks like you never left your college dorm.

Located close to public transportation.
    Not much in terms of formal training, meaning you'll hit the ground running and learn quite a lot beginning on day 1.

Cons

If I had to give a quick summary, I would say to not think long term at TechTarget. Get your feet wet, but don't start doing laps in the pool.

Please consider the following:

Pay - entry level jobs start around $30K. Not much, if anything, offered in terms of comp increases year over year; it's a crap-shoot and dependent on company performance against benchmarks and market goals. If you do receive a raise, it's very little added to the very little you currently make. Having a second job is not uncommon among younger employees. For some it may be a necessity, not a choice.

Time off - the company offers unlimited vacation. However, depending on the group you work in, you may feel guilty taking time off when you see your co-workers trying to manage a million tasks at once. I usually monitored email or made myself available when on vacation if something came up, and invariably I would spend a few hours on the phone trying to put out a fire when the point was to get away and take a break. Work-life balance can be hard to achieve.

Staffing - the company operates very lean. You'll feel like your doing the work of 3 people. On top of that, TechTarget runs through employees at a rapid pace; there is a constant stream of leavers and new hires. Once you've trained someone on a process, they've left for greener pastures. Who can blame them? It's hard to maintain continuity due to high turnover.

Recognition - several factors play into this, some of which are out of your control. In situations where TT cannot over a reasonable comp increase, they'll substitute it with additional responsibilities or some new job title. That's nice, but up to a point. It's great to demonstrate your competencies and be trusted with more tasks, but due to the lean operation, you'll get burned out. TT is a meat-grinder in that sense.

If your resume is nothing but a empty sheet of paper with your name on it, it's better to have something than nothing. You'll learn so much in a short amount of time, and have days when you'll feel frustrated beyond belief, but the skills you can develop can be a stepping stone to opportunities outside TechTarget.

Zero Respect for Editorial

Current Employee - Site Editor  in  Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Site Editor in Newton, MA

I have been working at TechTarget full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of young people who work hard

Cons

Abysmal salaries
    Work/Life balance ends up making employees feel guilty for taking time off with no set vacation days
    No long-term growth potential
    Terrible communication among groups

I've worked at TechTarget for a few years, which seems to be the cap for most people. It's great as entry level, but it seems like none of the management has any idea how things are run in editorial, instead focusing far too much on sales. The editorial strategy has changed so often my head spins. They say they're focused on quality content, but since I've worked there, my quota for content per month has gone from non-existent to the impossible 40 published items a month.

They push you and push you, often with no respect at all, instead showering the marketing and sales people with praise. And believe me, no one in marketing really knows what's going on in editorial. This poor communication has been the majority of my headaches as I've advanced into management.

I would say management needs to make an effort to know not just faces and names in editorial, but what the heck goes on there at all. There are many changes always befalling Site Editors, with barely any input from anyone in editorial, making no sense and causing headaches.

And the salaries are ridiculously low. Show a little more respect for the business' employees not making cold calls.

I started very happy at my job, and now, like many editors, I'm frustrated at at my wits' end.

So much to learn if you're a self starter and not afraid to go find the answers on your own.

Former Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Newton, MA

I worked at TechTarget full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Work/life balance is great! I would say it would be hard to match anywhere else.
    - If you have a family or things come up that you have to take care of, management is very open to you working from home. Some managers are very understanding of this concept while others unfortunately are less so.
    - Open vacation policy (most often this privilege is not abused - don't want to ruin it for yourself and others)
    - A lot of different departments to work with on a daily basis and new job opportunities open up often to learn new skills
    - Quarterly thank yous from management where you can mingle with the rest of the company and eat/drink
    - Bagel Wednesday, free coffee/soda and bottled water

Cons

- Open vacation policy (at times can feel like a con) - no set holidays except for the big ones, so employees tend to feel guilty taking the time off they need to recharge on a regular basis
    - While on vacation, you're made to feel like you have to check in to help with the workload when the point is to remove yourself entirely from the job and recharge
    - A lot of turnover. And remaining employees take up the slack so I've seen many people burn out too soon
    - Does not offer competitive salary

TechTarget is a great company at the end of the day! But I do feel that if a competitive salary was offered in the beginning, it would help curb the high turnover and not burden the remaining employees with doing the work of 3 people.

Worked for TechTarget? Contribute to the Community!