TechTarget

Updated January 20, 2015
Updated January 20, 2015

TechTarget Chairman and CEO Greg Strakosch
Greg Strakosch

Pros
  • Generally OK to work from home, though that seems to be changing depending on what group you belong to (in 25 reviews)

• there used to be a great work-life balance and an autonomous environment (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone unless you're unemployed (because low pay is better than no pay, right (in 10 reviews)

• 30K (even for an entry level position) is unlivable with student loans, car payments, etc (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Good first job, but few stay for long

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I have been working at TechTarget full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Beautiful building in a great location (next to Riverside Station; close to 95, 135, 30, 9, and many other major roads). Company is willing to hire people with raw talent who don't have a lot of direct experience, unlike most other companies. Lots of young, educated, energetic employees. Casual environment- you don't need to dress up for work, and you can come and go as you want without much supervision, depending on your boss. Some groups work from home one or two days each week. Work-life balance is a priority for the company at all levels.

Cons

The salaries are excessively low, and even if you get promoted after a year in a position (which is now a policy- you have to put in a year before you apply to other positions within the company), you're only offered a raise of about $3000. This creates a very high turnover rate. Because it's a publishing company, when the volume is high, everyone gets very stressed about deadlines and acts like the often-menial work that we do is of the utmost importance. There is also a focus on quantity over quality. The unlimited-time-off policy is misleading- you have to run all time off by your supervisor, who can devise their own rules about when you can take time off and how much. In the end, if you request a lot of time off, even if it's spread out over a long period of time, there are consequences.

If you fix the salary issue, the company will instantly change for the better in so many ways. Right now, talented people simply can't afford to stay at TechTarget for more than a year. The turnover rate is abominable and really hurts morale. Hard work needs to be recognized and rewarded, because if people don't feel valued by their company, they won't stick around for long, and won't take pride in the work that they do or in the company.

Get in, get out, get on with your life

Former Employee - Client Consultant in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Client Consultant in Newton, MA

I worked at TechTarget full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good place for young professionals to gain experience. Work hard, play hard atmosphere. Growing company that adapts with new technologies.

Cons

No work/life balance. Company is growing too fast and has unrealistic expectations of employees. Hectic atmosphere with no process for internal communication.

Weed out the players bringing the team down

Very exciting company. Highly profitable, a lot of advancement opportunity. Fair compensation, good brand name

Former Employee - Management in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Management in Newton, MA

I worked at TechTarget full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Leader in their field
    Good brand recognition
    Opportunity for advancement
    Smart people and executive team
    Nice offices and benefits
    Honest work behavior
    hot looking woman
    hot looking woman

Cons

Long hours
    high expectations
    very competitive and merit based environment
    Win or go home attitude
    Not for everyone but good for motivated people

Keep doing what you are doing

Great place to work, but salary does not match effort

I have been working at TechTarget

Pros

Great benefits, great people to work with, open leave policy makes work/life balance really work

Cons

the pay is not as great as other companies for similar roles, which causes high turnover

pay your top employees like they mean something to you and turnover will be low, and you will stop losing the best talent

Progressive Company, fantastic people, unreal product

I worked at TechTarget full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Worked at TechTarget for 4 years mainly in sales. They allowed me to build my book of business enough to move out West. I don't think I could ever in a million years have gained the experience, knowledge and skill set outside TechTarget in that short of a timeframe. The management all the way up to the execs are extremely open to hearing your feedback and acting on it. In addition to that everyone os focused on your personal and professional development (after revenue of course). The product roadmap is groundbreaking and now is a fantastic time to get in. Honestly wouldn't have left if I weren't presented an opportunity that fell more in line with life events. One of the toughest decisions I made was leaving.

Cons

Blessing and a curse- so many products to sell.

Keep focusing on the development of not only your junior reps but senior ones as well.

Good place to work, below market salaries

Former Employee - Editor in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Editor in Newton, MA

I worked at TechTarget full-time

Pros

Great work/life balance. Lots of independence as an editor. Opportunity to be a self-starter. Very profitable, stable, growing company. Opportunities to advance, promotions available.

Cons

Consistently pays editorial below market rate. promotions do not come with commensurate salaries bumps. You have to find your own motivation to do good work. You won't get more than a pat on the back for success. Bonuses were eliminated a year after the IPO. Benefits are eroding year-to-year. This year HR introduced mandatory mail-order prescription fills for maintenance medication (birth control, asthma, mental health meds). The mail order provider is incompetent.

An extremely profitable, debt-free company should be rewarding its employees, not nickle-and diming them. Get salaries in line with the industry. The work-life balance that the company has long relied upon for retention is no longer a differentiator.

Get in, get experience, get out.

Current Employee - Marketing Copywriter in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing Copywriter in Newton, MA

I have been working at TechTarget full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- They love hiring recent grads.
    - The ability to work-at-home is great.
    - The team is generally pleasant.
    - Promotions are easy to come by.
    - Some middle-managers are dedicated to their employees.

Cons

- Insanely low pay.
    - Workload does not match compensation.
    - Isolated, silent, and dismal office environment.
    - Office location makes for an atrocious commute.
    - Promotions barely increase your salary.
    - "Vacation" is misleading - you must cram work before time off or holidays to make up for lost time.
    - You do not accrue paid vacation time, so if you quit you don't get a pay-out.
    - Upper management seems disinterested in lower level employees.
    - The general sense that the workforce is disposable and are even expected to quit quickly.
    - Feedback is non-existent.

- Focus on making your employees feel valued.
    - Increase pay to help retain talent.
    - Revitalize the office environment.

Company consistently undervalues talent

Former Employee - Editor in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Editor in Boston, MA

I worked at TechTarget full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-There is a mostly positive work-life balance, although depending on which editorial group you work with they may expect you to be available via email at all times. The smaller groups are much more laid-back than the largest group.
    -Good benefits
    -Quarterly pizza parties
    -Flexible hours, though again YMMV depending on which editorial group you're in
    -Consistently rated as one of the best places to work in Boston
    -Plenty of room for upward growth (see below for why that is)

Cons

-Office politics are very present but underplayed
    -The company likes to present itself as a startup in atmosphere but there are traditional corporate underpinnings (see: politics).
    -The style guide is terrible and out of date.

-Extremely low pay
    -Constant turnover
    -The company doesn't care much about holding on to good employees through salary increase or other forms of appreciation (hence the constant turnover), but promotes new hires quickly to create a false sense of progress. (Example: they promote an assistant site editor to associate site editor, but they're the only editor for said site and the pay bump is almost nonexistent).
    -As a result of the constant turnover and editorial/managing positions shifting to compensate, combined with fast promotion of inexperienced employees, management is incompetent.

-The survey for the "best places to work" list is very skewed, so the award is mostly meaningless. You won't find much different here than you would in any other office casual environment.

Require higher standards for new hires and start them off with higher pay, parallel to the standards you so badly want to meet.

Recognize good talent when you have it, and do everything you can to keep it. Too many employees get snatched up by PR firms or other publications because they pay better and Techtarget refuses to do anything about it.

I do not think that word means what you think it means

Former Employee - Senior Editor in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Editor in Newton, MA

I worked at TechTarget full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It was an actual reporting and writing job. If you are the kind of reporter who has already given up on any concept of work-life balance and lives for tracking down stories about Microsoft products, this could be the job for you.

Many smart and interesting people pass through these doors.

Cons

Unfortunately, a lot of the ones who stay are not so smart, and can be mean if they feel threatened.

I experienced pointless micromanaging, down to how I took notes and which way I faced when sitting at my desk. If you need to actually hear the phone calls you're making, this may not be the place for you. I was also chastised by people who felt I ought to be able to drive from my home to the office faster -- they'd want me in a phone call from home at 9:30 and demand that I reach the office by 10. Not legally possible, and I never did figure out why they even cared.

Although during the interview process they emphasized "journalistic ethics", my supervisors' idea of "ethics" fell a little short. If sources in the field did not agree with the storyline the higher-ups had pre-determined, the whole story would get thrown out. Made it hard to build relationships of trust with either sources or readers. I was told to find sources who would agree to have quotes I invented (supporting the pre-determined storyline) attributed to them, rather than finding out what the sources actually observed.

There was also a tendency for people to declare themselves "experts" on technology they clearly didn't understand -- leading to editorial decisions that undermined the sense and integrity of stories.

Finally, the irrational and mechanistic reliance on hit scores led to mandates like, "Find more ways to put 'free' in the headlines."

Be honest with yourselves and your hires about the priorities here -- more than most trade publications, this one is really just the tissue paper between the thin mints, where the advertising and contact-list accumulation are the mints.

Great place to work. Great and interesting industry. Generally good co-workers, with a few notable exceptions.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I have been working at TechTarget full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility - ability to work from home, free sodas & water and generally not evil people. Fast-paced environment works for me.

Cons

Lack of experienced senior management. Low salaries makes recruiting new hires difficult. Sales dominates the company and everyone else (editorial, operations, client managers) suffers because of it. As a mid career professional, it was refreshing to see a young, vibrant company with its future ahead of it. Some of that has faded lately, but not so much that I don't want to work here anymore.

Well, based on what I'm reading it's 'pay more' to your junior and editorial staff.

TechTarget Photos