TechTarget

TechTarget Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

TechTarget Chairman and CEO Greg Strakosch

Greg Strakosch

Pros
  • Generally OK to work from home, though that seems to be changing depending on what group you belong to(in 22 reviews)

• TechTarget has the best work/life balance of anywhere I've ever been(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • 30K (even for an entry level position) is unlivable with student loans, car payments, etc(in 9 reviews)

• Work-life balance can be hard to achieve(in 5 reviews)

Great company, great employer

ProsTreated like an adult
    Awesome Growth opportunities

ConsComplex Market, Crowded Space, Difficult Customers. These are more than five words.

Great Company, Awesome Benefits, HORRID pay

Product Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Newton, MA

ProsGreat flexible company, learned so much about media that I became very marketable. My manager was great, available at all times and willing to help when I needed it without breathing down my neck. Co-workers are great, though it is a very young office. Benefits are AWESOME, where else can you get 12 weeks PAID maternity leave?

ConsPay is very low, but they try to make up for it with other perks

Embraces entrepreneurial spirit, enables professional growth, and allows work-life balance

Global Sales (Former Employee) Newton, MA

ProsEmbodies an Entrepreneurial Spirit – workforce is motivated, ambitious, and dedicated. Provides a great work environment for highly competitive people who want to work hard.

Promotions/Benefits – promotions are synonymous with the fast-paced changes that happen fairly frequently. Healthcare benefits, open door policy, and free gym access

Professional Growth - I was at TechTarget almost 8 years and managed entry level, and global territories, a media group sales team, & managed vertical sales growth. Point: hard work is often rewarded with new challenges, opportunities, and professional growth.

Family friendly – it’s not 9-5 which enabled me to be both successful, and raise a family. In emergency situations, there were no questions asked. I will always be grateful for that support across layers of management.

You will work hard, and end up working in a rewarding environment, among smart, accountable colleagues. Great long-term company for growing professionally.

ConsFrequent Change: Management is open minded to mix things up quickly, some people struggle with the change. Need to be equally open minded & willing to take on new challenges presented

21 pieces of flare? – because of the ambitious culture, barely “getting the job done” comes across as complacent & lazy. It’s very difficult to go on cruise control & expect to last long here.

Extremely fast paced – deadlines and timeframes are very quick, expected produce strong results in short times, while juggling multiple projects. Nature of the industry.

Open door policy – is great, but due to competitive nature, not many stroll out every day at 4 pm. Management known to do a brief walk through to see who is there on Fridays or around a holiday.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate transparency to help anticipate change – might soften the blow for those times when there is a lot shaken up. Support those interested in philanthropy to make it more part of the TT culture. Have days outside of holidays dedicated as “office closed” – Marathon Monday for example.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

So much to learn if you're a self starter and not afraid to go find the answers on your own.

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Newton, MA

Pros- Work/life balance is great! I would say it would be hard to match anywhere else.
    - If you have a family or things come up that you have to take care of, management is very open to you working from home. Some managers are very understanding of this concept while others unfortunately are less so.
    - Open vacation policy (most often this privilege is not abused - don't want to ruin it for yourself and others)
    - A lot of different departments to work with on a daily basis and new job opportunities open up often to learn new skills
    - Quarterly thank yous from management where you can mingle with the rest of the company and eat/drink
    - Bagel Wednesday, free coffee/soda and bottled water

Cons- Open vacation policy (at times can feel like a con) - no set holidays except for the big ones, so employees tend to feel guilty taking the time off they need to recharge on a regular basis
    - While on vacation, you're made to feel like you have to check in to help with the workload when the point is to remove yourself entirely from the job and recharge
    - A lot of turnover. And remaining employees take up the slack so I've seen many people burn out too soon
    - Does not offer competitive salary

Advice to Senior ManagementTechTarget is a great company at the end of the day! But I do feel that if a competitive salary was offered in the beginning, it would help curb the high turnover and not burden the remaining employees with doing the work of 3 people.

Get in, learn as much as you can, and build it into something better elsewhere in a couple years

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCollegial atmosphere - high amount of recent graduates in the 22-35 age demographic. On the hardest of days your co-workers will be the reason you made it through.

Soft benefits - bagel Wednesdays, free water/soda, casual work environment - although sometime it looks like you never left your college dorm.

Located close to public transportation.
    Not much in terms of formal training, meaning you'll hit the ground running and learn quite a lot beginning on day 1.

ConsIf I had to give a quick summary, I would say to not think long term at TechTarget. Get your feet wet, but don't start doing laps in the pool.

Please consider the following:

Pay - entry level jobs start around $30K. Not much, if anything, offered in terms of comp increases year over year; it's a crap-shoot and dependent on company performance against benchmarks and market goals. If you do receive a raise, it's very little added to the very little you currently make. Having a second job is not uncommon among younger employees. For some it may be a necessity, not a choice.

Time off - the company offers unlimited vacation. However, depending on the group you work in, you may feel guilty taking time off when you see your co-workers trying to manage a million tasks at once. I usually monitored email or made myself available when on vacation if something came up, and invariably I would spend a few hours on the phone trying to put out a fire when the point was to get away and take a break. Work-life balance can be hard to achieve.

Staffing - the company operates very lean. You'll feel like your doing the work of 3 people. On top of that, TechTarget runs through employees at a rapid pace; there is a constant stream of leavers and new hires. Once you've trained someone on a process, they've left for greener pastures. Who can blame them? It's hard to maintain continuity due to high turnover.

Recognition - several factors play into this, some of which are out of your control. In situations where TT cannot over a reasonable comp increase, they'll substitute it with additional responsibilities or some new job title. That's nice, but up to a point. It's great to demonstrate your competencies and be trusted with more tasks, but due to the lean operation, you'll get burned out. TT is a meat-grinder in that sense.

If your resume is nothing but a empty sheet of paper with your name on it, it's better to have something than nothing. You'll learn so much in a short amount of time, and have days when you'll feel frustrated beyond belief, but the skills you can develop can be a stepping stone to opportunities outside TechTarget.

Zero Respect for Editorial

Site Editor (Current Employee) Newton, MA

ProsGenerally OK to work from home, though that seems to be changing depending on what group you belong to
    Lots of young people who work hard

ConsAbysmal salaries
    Work/Life balance ends up making employees feel guilty for taking time off with no set vacation days
    No long-term growth potential
    Terrible communication among groups

Advice to Senior ManagementI've worked at TechTarget for a few years, which seems to be the cap for most people. It's great as entry level, but it seems like none of the management has any idea how things are run in editorial, instead focusing far too much on sales. The editorial strategy has changed so often my head spins. They say they're focused on quality content, but since I've worked there, my quota for content per month has gone from non-existent to the impossible 40 published items a month.

They push you and push you, often with no respect at all, instead showering the marketing and sales people with praise. And believe me, no one in marketing really knows what's going on in editorial. This poor communication has been the majority of my headaches as I've advanced into management.

I would say management needs to make an effort to know not just faces and names in editorial, but what the heck goes on there at all. There are many changes always befalling Site Editors, with barely any input from anyone in editorial, making no sense and causing headaches.

And the salaries are ridiculously low. Show a little more respect for the business' employees not making cold calls.

I started very happy at my job, and now, like many editors, I'm frustrated at at my wits' end.

No frills company but great experience for entry level jobs!

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Newton, MA

Pros* Flexibility (In most cases you can work remotely and there's the unlimited vacation days if approved)
    * Little Micro-Management (They don't care how or when you get the work done as long as it's completed)
    * Nice and Hardworking Co-workers (Bunch of genuine nice folks to work with who don't hold fancy degrees)
    * Experience (You gain valuable experience and skills and also knowledge of the tech. industry)

Cons* Pay (Not market rate and raises are super low if any)
    * Compensation (Keeps on getting less and less every year)
    * Career Development (You get a sense that everyone is looking out for their own backs especially from upper management)
    * Lack of office culture (No catered lunches, no group outings, no special events)

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm sure you've heard of this before but pay your employees more and make the company a fun place to be at.

Good opportunities for people who care

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Newton, MA

ProsTechTarget offers a relaxed culture (want to wear shorts? go for it) but is serious about the work - expectations are high and the company is filled with people who care about doing a good job at whatever they do. While this means you'll work a lot, you're treated like an adult who can manage his or her own time - you can work from home, and take time off when needed. It's all about building the respect and trust of others and, especially, cultivating a strong relationship with your manager and team. There's also a lot of opportunity for professional growth, both in terms of learning new skills and advancing to new, challenging positions.

ConsIn a few years, I've seen several organizational changes and shifting priorities. If you want something predictable, this probably isn't the place for you. Also, there's a good amount of staff turnover on some teams, which can slow down some initiatives. Communication across departments has improved during my time there, but remains a challenge (like everywhere I've worked).

Entry Level Marketing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsInformal work culture, flexible hours and schedule. Personable employees that are always willing to help.

ConsRepetitive, sometimes dull work. Salary is not competitive with comparable entry level jobs

Advice to Senior ManagementUp the starting pay for entry level positions to attract top-tier employees

Good upward mobility

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI've worked at lots of companies where you're basically told to "do your job" and not think about the larger strategy. That's not the case at TechTarget, where if you put in the effort you are encouraged to think about the big picture and rewarded with more responsibility. I was promoted in less than a year working there.

ConsNot a lot of sensitivity to workload, but if you pride yourself in working hard and doing a good job that's the price you pay for more responsibility.

Advice to Senior ManagementA little more attention paid to management training.

Worked for TechTarget? Contribute to the Community!