TechTarget Reviews

Reset

good entry-level position

Current Employee - Program Performance Associate in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Program Performance Associate in Newton, MA

Pros

flexibility, work from home, learn about technology

Cons

low pay, lack of communication

Advice to Management

put more value into employees

Cold

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I worked at TechTarget full-time

Pros

- No dress code - Free Soda/water/coffee/bagels on Wednesday - Work from home policy (also a con) - Matching 401k - No set vacation time (also a con) - In-building gym, T accessable

Cons

- Very low pay for amount of work given and then telecommute culture where you are expected to be available "after hours", especially near end of quarter. - Very little communication from management on training/new processes. Management was never in the office, yet always expected lower employees to be available. The pyramid structure is also very fragile; you'll probably have 3-6 people above you if you work mid-level or below. - Hours/responsibilities change constantly, with no warning. - High turnover rate. I had 3 different immediate supervisors during my time there, as well as new "co-workers" every week. Will often result in you taking on more work without very little assistance. - No set vacation time is actually a burden. I was discouraged from taking time off constantly for leisure (but the policy is good if you break a leg, get cancer, or have a kid) due to teams being run "lean and mean". You also don't accrue PTO for when you leave. - The bagels are kinda crappy

Advice to Management

Raise pay, hire more people, be committed to letting your people take time off, and re-evaluate your management teams' priorities and organizational structure.

Accountant

Pros

The flexible schedule and working from home option was great. Everyone is treated like an adult.As long as your work is done

Cons

The work load was very heavy. The high turnover was discouraging. Too bad management didnt take the time to address the issues causing people to leav

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your people and address the issues that are causing your good people to leave

run

Former Employee - Sales in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Sales in Newton, MA

I worked at TechTarget full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I liked the people I worked with (minus management)

Cons

I didn't realize how bad it was until I started working with my current employee. Where I am now, the CEO/executive teams goes above and beyond to show us how much they appreciate our hard work. It makes me want to work even harder! At TechTarget, it felt like a factory. Time off was NOT encouraged. Management is very poor. The CEO is not pleasant. It's just not a good environment.

Advice to Management

show some appreciation for your employees, after all, you would have nothing without them

If you

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I have been working at TechTarget full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun, laid-back work environment. Everyone's pretty young. They feed us beer during EOQ celebrations and we have Bagel Wednesdays. Flexible work from home option with no set amount of vacation days.

Cons

Entry level jobs here are grossly and notoriously underpaid. Recent organizational restructure in operations will put the word "manager" in your job title with no increase in compensation. Turnover is steady because employees will leave to make more money.

Advice to Management

You're a company just outside of Boston - please take the cost of living into consideration. No one can afford to live close to work if they only make $29k after taxes. People don't want to leave, but you really don't give them a choice.

A place to start

I worked at TechTarget full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

young group; if you are young this is a good place to start and get your feet wet

Cons

salary for the amount of work is insufficient; management not always advocating for their direct reports

Advice to Management

You have a lot of smart, capable young professions working for you- develop them to stay- talk about growth and career paths within your companies. Restructure to accommodate their growth. Internally hire; all managers should be able to do the job their direct reports are doing.

"Well where do I even start"

Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Newton, MA

I worked at TechTarget full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can work from home, if you like a lot of work they will give it to you. Understanding the technology side of the industry. Young work environment. Get your feet wet. But not your whole body

Cons

No work/life balance, leaves you in a bad mood throughout the weekend. Work load DOES NOT= pay. No support system when in need of help.

Advice to Management

I don't even work for this company, I got to experience all this through the eyes of a friend. Management you should attend a training on how to appreciate your employees. Yes everyone has to work in life but life isn't always about work.

Good place to work. Good work-life balance

Current Employee - Massachusetts in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Massachusetts in Newton, MA

I have been working at TechTarget full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility. Telecommuting. Travel. Knowledgeable people.

Cons

Heavy workload. Average-minus pay. Steady turnover.

Advice to Management

Clearer organization lines

Low wages, bad management

Former Employee - Editor in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Editor in Newton, MA

I worked at TechTarget full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to obtain new roles off the street, good foundation to start a career in journalism, lots of younger workers who are building their careers and have tons of energy. Fairly awesome work-from-home plan, although you're still expected to come into the office at least a few times a week. Free soda in the office and free bagels every Wednesday.

Cons

Low pay, low or no yearly increase. Have heard of large percentages of workers who were solid performers but didn't get annual raises -- entire teams where only two out of ten people got any kind of annual increase. Kind of sketchy business practices.

Advice to Management

Stop losing your good talent because of your refusal to pay higher salaries or give new job titles (let's face it, job titles can do a lot to keep an employee happy). You're making it too easy for the competition to poach talent.

Marketing Manager

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Newton, MA

I have been working at TechTarget full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They respect you! They believe in work life balance and they people are wonderful!

Cons

Yes the salary is lower than industry average but depending on your personal situation you may want to balance that out with your work life balance.

Advice to Management

Raise salaries so you can keep great talent.

RSS Feed </> Embed