TechTeam Reviews

Gary J. Cotshott

No Work-Life Balance at all

Former Employee - Senior Training Specialist in Southfield, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Training Specialist in Southfield, MI

I worked at TechTeam full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Techteam is a great place to learn to be an Implementation Specialist. The travel is very nice, especially in the beginning.

Cons

You are paid a daily rate, and some of those days can be extremely long (think 24 hours plus). There is little opportunity for career movement either up or laterally. You can be gone from home for an extremely long time; for example, I was on the road 118 days straight at one point. If you are on a long assignment, you are not paid for the weekends if you do not work on them, yet you are stuck in the hotel where you are doing your installation, usually without a rental car.

Address the problem of work-life balance. Also, I would suggest offering a rental car on sites longer than one week.

Great job and pay ..if this was 1975

Current Employee - Deskside Analyst in Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - Deskside Analyst in Southfield, MI

I have been working at TechTeam full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working environment at my location is great. Coworkers are amazing and all in the same boat as me. Over worked and under paid. The medical and dental and vision is "ok", but that's all the pros.

My supervisor is great. After talking to him, I realized he to is stuck working for a company he cant stand and is only waiting to find a position with a real company that cares about the employees. He gives us the run down each week and then moves on to his dog and pony show for management. While he is great, its only a matter of time before he to is gone to greener pastures.

Cons

Pay is pathetic! For the job we do at my location in another city a few hours away, you are paid twice the rate. They screw you at this location. They have a ton of people to choose from in a small town that competes for every job. This allows them to post the position at a very low compensation rate and sift through candidates that will take the job out of desperation because of the local and national economy. Raises are a joke, when you are a top performer and don't even get .50 an hour raise, something is wrong. This company make money by the truck load and does not share it with the employees.

The metrics they use to judge your performance each year changes a couple times a year, so you never really know how you are doing. They have a score card system that is supposed to tell you how you're doing, but nobody has seen it or been shown how it relates to you and your position.

PTO at this company is crap. The accrual is so bad, if you are sick in the first part of the year, you do not have enough accrued to take sick time, and since you can not carry over any PTO time, you can not get sick in the first 3 months of the year, Jan, Feb, March, and those are typically high flu months, it is winter up here. But they don't care. I am glad I have not had that problem, but have known many that were affected by the no PTO carryover.

Working out of your scope is a regular occurrence. If you are asked to provide support for something that is not part of your scope, you are told to do it anyway and they will go talk to the business rep and see if they will not ask that of you. But that never happens, we just get told to keep on doing it anyways. Its a joke. You are a hostage to the company you contract for.

Save yourself some time and pass on this recruiter if they call you to work for STTG or TechTeam or Stefanini. You will thank me. There will be another recruiter that will call you for the job I am sure.

As soon as the economy picks up, this company will die, people will leave fast for better wages. So be warned.

Share the wealth! Pay your people the average wages for the positions you hire. Change your PTO, give people a way to be paid if ill and they don't have any PTO accrued, you would be surprised at how the attitude will change with such a simple change. More communication is needed from Senior Management. I have been here 3 years and only had 2 emails from the CEO.

Let's be honest, they don't give a crap about you.

Former Employee - Support Technician in Southfield, MI
    Former Employee - Support Technician in Southfield, MI

I worked at TechTeam full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- It's a job.
    - They have free coffee.

Cons

- They treat you like cogs in a machine.
    - They undercut salary severely.

Your employees are people, and its disgusting how you treat them.

Decent place to start if you graduated with a weak GPA.

Current Employee - Junior Systems Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Junior Systems Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at TechTeam

Pros

I graduated with a rather poor GPA in May 2009 when the economy was at it's worst and TechTeam took me in, so for that I am thankful. I work on a client site but have some of the best coworkers you could ask for. I never have had to work much overtime so the work/life balance is pretty good, though that may vary contract-to-contract.

Cons

Vacation policy blows big time. It's based on an accrual basis and you get 1.3 hours of sick and 3.67 hours of vacation every pay period. Basically it takes 3 months for you to get one day of sick leave and a month a half for one vacation day. The pay is well below average for my position (other people who graduated in my class make about 15K more a year then me in other companies).

Pay your employees more and overhaul the vacation policy. I'm probably on one of the better contracts so take a look at those and model others after it.

just wanted to see reviews

Current Employee - Worker Bee in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Worker Bee in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at TechTeam

Pros

education, salary and holiday parties

Cons

management and their salaries are too high

holidays

Good company, low pay but benefits / coworkers offset it.

Former Employee - Infrastructure Engineer in Southfield, MI
    Former Employee - Infrastructure Engineer in Southfield, MI

I worked at TechTeam

Pros

Very good benefits
    Good coworkers help offset

Cons

Pay is below (often significantly) industry standards.

Bring pay up to industry norms to lower turnover in the orginization.

Techteam, not a good company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI

I worked at TechTeam

Pros

Will hire any person with little or no IT experience.
    A good place to pick up some IT experience, but not that much.

Cons

Management is more concerned with stats and SLA instead of providing quality service.
    Pay rate is terrible, starting wage 10 dollars an hour.
    Most IT Call Centers start out paying on the average 12 - 13 dollars an hour.
    Hours are not flexible.
    Will work years in the same position no matter how hard your work.
    NO chance for advancement.
    Will promoted the wrong people to positions they are not qualified for.
    Training is very poor.
    Resources provided that assist in performing your duties are horrible, and always a work in progress.
    I have more cons, but the above is suffice.

Treat your workers as assets and not puppets
    Payrate should be more.
    Provide better training and resources so employees can provide good quality service.
    Stop worrying about STATS and SLA, and be more concern with providing good customer service.

A great place to work, though the pay could be better.

Current Employee - Support Technician in Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - Support Technician in Southfield, MI

I have been working at TechTeam

Pros

They are a company that will give people without (work) experience a chance. If you can prove to the hiring manager and human resources that you are competent and able to learn and excel, they generally will give you a chance. Also, during the poor economic conditions, TechTeam is actually expanding still. They have acquired more projects recently, and have been hiring support technicians. Also, they have a fairly good benefit package, with BCBS PPO insurance, tuition reimbursement, berevement pay, paid time off, and other benefits.

Cons

TechTeam starts off with a fairly low pay rate for entry-level positions. Also, raises are not the greatest of all companies.

Keep doing just about everything the same as you have been. Raise the starting pay a bit.

start here then leave quickly

Former Employee - Senior Support Tech in Dearborn, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Support Tech in Dearborn, MI

I worked at TechTeam

Pros

greeat place to get a start- it beats fast food- but it's close

Cons

Hard work is ignore in favor of political motivations, middle manangement lacks training and guidance from upper management. management is borderline incompetent. Great place to get your start in the IT field. Bad place to stay.

more management education, more employee education, more employee centric as opposed to being soley customer driven while ignoring even basic employee needs and concerns. There is a high turnover rate for a reason. Management knows and ignores this in favor of meeting contractual SLA agreements at the expense of the employee.

As this company is in the process of offshoring the majority of core operations, this problem will move with it. Sweeping the problem under rug does not address poor management skils at all levels. This company needs better leadership

Clowns everywhere, because it is a circus.

Former Employee - Support Technician in Davenport, IA
    Former Employee - Support Technician in Davenport, IA

I worked at TechTeam

Pros

It provides experience for a resume. That experience is basically how to work in a call center with everything being measured rather than measuring the quality of your work. The management team has no regard for their employees as people or for those employees' skills. This provides for entertainment as you watch the constant revolving door of people from every walk of life (skilled and gifted support technicians all the way to people who would be lucky to be working as parking valets) constantly on a spin.

Cons

Lack of respect, horrible pay.

Learn to effectively manage people rather than numbers.