Technica

Be The First To
Add Photos

Miguel Collado

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Okay company tow ork for.

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Dulles, VA

ProsLaid back environment, get the job done and you are good.

Conslack of focus, jumping from product to product

Advice to Senior Managementbe more focused.

A good employer on the decline

Engineer (Former Employee)
    Dulles, VA

ProsGreat HR and Business Development departments. Solid benefits. While they pay about 50-75% market rate, it is a good way to get your foot in the door. Very friendly and welcoming in a Jonestown sort of way. Don't drink the Kool-aid.

ConsThe Engineering department has no active contracts despite what they tell prospective employees. The front-line managers are a merry band of eunuchs, long-ago neutered from any decision making. Fortunately upper-management is there to lay their clothes out for them each morning.
    Training opportunities would be a joke if anyone were laughing. Industry preferred certifications (like CCNA) are met with furrowed brows because they would rather their employees pursue Juniper certifications.
    Recently, classroom training provided by vendors has been supplanted by Skillsoft. This would be fine if the course selection weren't limited to those irrelevant to engineers (ex. "How to answer a phone" and a 4-year old version of Security+).
    Transparency is non-existent. You'll be tasked to perform the senseless by the clueless for the purposes known to nobody. Any questions on tasking will be met by ridicule and reprimand in the most childish ways.
    The CEO himself will parade around the building publicly bestowing a dollar-store crown on those not performing to his expectations, like he's the Queen Elizabeth of humiliation.

Advice to Senior ManagementWin some contracts. Until that happens, the front-line managers have nothing better to do than read a stop-watch and listen to jams in their office (the days they are actually in or not pretending to be at the satellite office).

Beware of working here if on contract

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Dulles, VA

ProsThe people are nice, and if you can get a full time job, I am sure that it would be nice.

ConsBeware of starting if you are on "contract-to-hire" as the company really has not intention of actually taking you on full time. They will try to lure you in with a-lot of promises, but then cut you off your contract as soon as you have your basic job done. Warning to all "contract-to-hire". Techinca really makes a mockery of this.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more loyal to your workers.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very good overall but lots of turnover and little loyalty

Senior Engineer (Current Employee)
    Dulles, VA

ProsNew building, friendly staff, pretty good managers, bagel Monday and free lunch once a month.

ConsSenior IT management can be fickle and not genuine, and doesn't plan well, being reactive instead of proactive.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't judge the value of staff by whether their projects need them but by capabilities.

Good Place to Work

Senior IA Engineer (Former Employee)
    Dulles, VA

ProsVery technical people and interesting projects. You learn alot on the job because of the projects and people. Management cares and watches out for staff. Benefits are average. Executives are unusually technical and walk around to talk about technologies with staff. Well liked by customers.

ConsBenefits are average. That's all.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep talking to staff-that is much appreciated. Pizza lunches are good-brings staff and management together. Keep that small company, family feel.

Really Bad

Senior IA Engineer (Former Employee)
    Dulles, VA

ProsInteresting Project, liked my government customer. We were embedded with the government. Government was upset that Technica could not keep good people.

ConsPay was low, once a month, benefits bad - bottom wrung. Company had months notice of project end but didn't tell us....we were called Sunday night and told not to go in Monday and they mailed our pink slips. Indicative of the company. Would not pay for training or certs. Gave me one salary when I interview and another on the offer letter. I told them nothing doing and they were upset because I didn't let them take advantage of me. I should have walked away.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou won't be able to keep contracts until you pay employees enough to keep them. Won't keep employees until you treat them as a valued resource instead of chattel.

Great place to work

ProsGOOD MANAGEMENT TEAM, HIGHLY QUALIFIED EMPLOYEES

ConsBENEFITS ARE NOT AS COMPETITIVE AS THE MARKET.

Pay once a month - low ball on salaries - bad health insurance Interesting work

Senior Engineer (Current Employee)
    Dulles, VA

ProsInteresting work, good project. No micromanagement

ConsTheir HR and payroll policies stink. They PAY ONCE A MONTH - first full paycheck can be 7 weeks from when you start.

They have multiple rounds of interviews - get a prospect committed (turn down other job offers) then low ball the salary.

The first 3 months can't take sick leave or vacation. If time off is needed, have to take 8 hours of leave without pay.....I ended up having to work for free.
    The health insurance is the bottom of the barrel. Lowest rung of BCBS.

No education benefits. No training. Don't even pay for certs.
    They were not clear about this when I interviewed. Led me to believe they had education and training, but they don't.

I have met my direct supervisor once at a group lunch. They hired me to work at the customer site. I had one day orientation and then was marooned at the customer site. The only time I hear from anyone is when I'm late with my time card.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of spending money on "pizza days" and group lunches, spend it on good benefits and decent pay.
    Payroll and hiring practices are really bad.
    Management have too many people in many different sites and are expected to produce income on top of it. Cannot be done.

Worked for Technica? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Technica reviews and ratings in Dulles, VA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Technica CEO Miguel Collado. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Technica employees.