Technica

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Miguel Collado

Technica was a great place to work with a relaxed atmosphere. Great career broadening opportunities.

Enterprise Systems Engineer (Former Employee) Columbia, MD

Prosfun people, culture, salary, relaxed atmosphere. a good company with solid management in place. A great place to work. Most managers look out for their workers.

Constravel to off sites were ok. However is business was required at HQs had to deal with a lot of traffic

Inexperienced company in Federal Contracting

Senior Enterprise Systems Engineer (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsEasy to get in and fairly well paid but they'll try to take back money they've promised. Three times I've heard of them agreeing to one salary only to back pedal later and say "oh we promised more than we can afford." With the profit margins in Federal Contracting it's highly unlikely they're hurting.

ConsPoor leadership, odd holiday-PTO schedules that don't match client calendars very well. Extremely inefficient communication and management.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf an employee works on the Federal holiday schedule, give them the same holidays and emergency cancellations. Don't force employees to drive to Dulles in the snow or other inclement weather. Also stop promising higher salaries then attempting to renegotiate after arriving on the client site.

A good employer on the decline

Engineer (Former Employee) Dulles, VA

ProsGreat HR and Business Development departments. Solid benefits. While they pay about 50-75% market rate, it is a good way to get your foot in the door. Very friendly and welcoming in a Jonestown sort of way. Don't drink the Kool-aid.

ConsThe Engineering department has no active contracts despite what they tell prospective employees. The front-line managers are a merry band of eunuchs, long-ago neutered from any decision making. Fortunately upper-management is there to lay their clothes out for them each morning.
    Training opportunities would be a joke if anyone were laughing. Industry preferred certifications (like CCNA) are met with furrowed brows because they would rather their employees pursue Juniper certifications.
    Recently, classroom training provided by vendors has been supplanted by Skillsoft. This would be fine if the course selection weren't limited to those irrelevant to engineers (ex. "How to answer a phone" and a 4-year old version of Security+).
    Transparency is non-existent. You'll be tasked to perform the senseless by the clueless for the purposes known to nobody. Any questions on tasking will be met by ridicule and reprimand in the most childish ways.
    The CEO himself will parade around the building publicly bestowing a dollar-store crown on those not performing to his expectations, like he's the Queen Elizabeth of humiliation.

Advice to Senior ManagementWin some contracts. Until that happens, the front-line managers have nothing better to do than read a stop-watch and listen to jams in their office (the days they are actually in or not pretending to be at the satellite office).

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Beware of working here if on contract

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Dulles, VA

ProsThe people are nice, and if you can get a full time job, I am sure that it would be nice.

ConsBeware of starting if you are on "contract-to-hire" as the company really has not intention of actually taking you on full time. They will try to lure you in with a-lot of promises, but then cut you off your contract as soon as you have your basic job done. Warning to all "contract-to-hire". Techinca really makes a mockery of this.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more loyal to your workers.

cheapo compo

Engineer (Former Employee)

Prosfree breakfast weekly and free pizza monthly

ConsVery cheap company to work for. Below average salary and the management only cares about cutting cost. Compared with other government contractors, very high health insurance cost which also goes up every year. No education and certification assistance. 1-2% raise max. Zero bonus. Poor work environment, the cubicles are tiny and about chest high so no privacy at all. Mid level managers like to micromanage not only projects but daily assignments which is consistent with the CEO's management style. No communication from the top. Turnover rate is high, just find the next guy willing to come on board. No career path at all.

Okay company tow ork for.

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Dulles, VA

ProsLaid back environment, get the job done and you are good.

Conslack of focus, jumping from product to product

Advice to Senior Managementbe more focused.

Extremely detached management - unprofessional staff.

Senior Systems Engineer (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsInteresting engineering projects. But you can find those all over the beltway.

ConsPay well below market. Horrible Program Mgt, Corporate Mgt and a complete lack of Sr. Leadership. Communication is absent in the company. The first day at HQ, the CEO walked up to me, looked at me, turned around and walked away. First line managers have zero leadership skills. Few opportunities for training and a fair amount of their employees are incapable of any actual engineering that have somehow gotten through their interviewing.

Advice to Senior ManagementI was going to fill this in -- but this company wouldn't listen. There is no leadership or effective management of any kind. Technica is a joke.

Very good overall but lots of turnover and little loyalty

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) Dulles, VA

ProsNew building, friendly staff, pretty good managers, bagel Monday and free lunch once a month.

ConsSenior IT management can be fickle and not genuine, and doesn't plan well, being reactive instead of proactive.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't judge the value of staff by whether their projects need them but by capabilities.

Good Place to Work

Senior IA Engineer (Former Employee) Dulles, VA

ProsVery technical people and interesting projects. You learn alot on the job because of the projects and people. Management cares and watches out for staff. Benefits are average. Executives are unusually technical and walk around to talk about technologies with staff. Well liked by customers.

ConsBenefits are average. That's all.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep talking to staff-that is much appreciated. Pizza lunches are good-brings staff and management together. Keep that small company, family feel.

Really Bad

Senior IA Engineer (Former Employee) Dulles, VA

ProsInteresting Project, liked my government customer. We were embedded with the government. Government was upset that Technica could not keep good people.

ConsPay was low, once a month, benefits bad - bottom wrung. Company had months notice of project end but didn't tell us....we were called Sunday night and told not to go in Monday and they mailed our pink slips. Indicative of the company. Would not pay for training or certs. Gave me one salary when I interview and another on the offer letter. I told them nothing doing and they were upset because I didn't let them take advantage of me. I should have walked away.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou won't be able to keep contracts until you pay employees enough to keep them. Won't keep employees until you treat them as a valued resource instead of chattel.

Worked for Technica? Contribute to the Community!