Technicolor Reviews

Updated October 24, 2014
2.8

Technicolor CEO Frederic Rose
Frederic Rose

Pros
  • Good work environment; was part of a good team under a good boss (in 17 reviews)

• Benefits were great, decent work-life balance, celebrated diversity (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Having a work-life balance is very challenging here (in 11 reviews)

• Some members of upper management don't know how to manage people (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Technicolor Review

Former Employee - Manager in Livonia, MI
    Former Employee - Manager in Livonia, MI

I worked at Technicolor full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good employer if you are in Management,

Cons

Difficult to advance. Communications difficult at best

Be more transparent

Falling Behind the Times

Former Employee - Co-Op in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Co-Op in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Technicolor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people were very friendly and fun to talk to. Even as a Co-Op I felt that my opinions were included and my work mattered.

Cons

They are falling behind in terms of technology. Especially the testing team, who performs the majority of their tests by hand and manage all of the data generated by tests by hand.

The Indianapolis building also shows its age on the inside. The office is formed of endless corridors of old gross cubicle walls forming tiny, dark cubicles. It looks like something out of classic corporate America and is not the most inspiring environment to work in.

Embrace new technology. It has a lot to offer the company if you take the time to learn it. Create an environment that people want to work in not have to work in.

Good times bad times

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Burbank, CA

I worked at Technicolor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I had a chance to learn so much and meet some great like minded people

Cons

Thomson who owns Technicolor has made some ridiculous decisions on the direction Technicolor takes and as everyone sees they failed

Listen to your employees you don't have every solution they do.

Exceptional

Current Employee - Certified Trainer in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Certified Trainer in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Technicolor full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits here at technicolor are great along with the pay. The opportunity to work within a well diversed atmosphere.

Cons

Consistent absentism can lead up to being laid off.

My advice to management would be them to be more involved in the day to day operations of the production floor.

Started strong and lost some momentum along the way.

I worked at Technicolor

Pros

If you like international travel, Technicolor is a great company. They have offices all over the world, a cool logo, and there are a lot of really smart engineers.

Cons

Sometimes it seemed like the French and American executives were not always aligned. Not to mention that the French leave the office for 3 weeks in August.

Keep your employees happy.

No lunch for you

I worked at Technicolor as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Able to get your feet a little wet in the post production industry. Majority of the employees were friendly and helpful.

Cons

You will be deducted for taking a lunch break. No matter how long your shift is. Pay for same positions greatly varies from one employee to another. Ignorance is bliss for this matter.

Good Experience, but needs a little work

I worked at Technicolor

Pros

The people are very nice and professional and work well in a team environment. Working on high profile projects was an awesome and rewarding experience. The pay and benefits are very good once you have them.

Cons

Having a work-life balance is very challenging here. Many employees across the company work 16+ hours a day.

Show that you value the people who work for your company. Employees should feel that they're quality of life, health and relationships are important to their workplace.

Fulfilling experience

Former Employee - Operations Analyst and Quality Manager in North Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Operations Analyst and Quality Manager in North Hollywood, CA

I worked at Technicolor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The office culture was great with lot of opportunities for training. The leadership had vision with an emphasis on continuous improvement.
    Overall a great set of people to work with.

Cons

With the conversion of film to digital, trying to continue the production while making sure that the company was losing money was becoming more and more difficult.

Frustrating highs and lows.

I have been working at Technicolor full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Well, the people are great. And the pay is better than average for the industry.

Cons

At least for my department, the hours are insane. We're talking 16-18 hour days, every day. The people are great, but everyone is burned out and there doesn't seem to be any relief in sight. I was laid off by Technicolor years ago when the company moved a lot of the work overseas. Now I'm back, but nothing's changed. Very disappointing.

Bring in more people so everyone's hours can get back to normal.

Good coworkers, short-sighted management, hardworking people laidoff for no reason

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Technicolor full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits are decent. Good coworkers. Fun product to work with (entertainment industry). You like the people you work with but hate the people you work for.

Cons

Involved in a lot of outsourcing. Management always in cost cutting mode. Lots of layoffs at the lower level caused less people on the production level to work twice as harder for their low salary. Yet hiring too many managers. The work can be stressful sometimes. Good hardworking people laid off for no reason.