Technicolor

Updated September 22, 2014
2.8

Technicolor CEO Frederic Rose
Frederic Rose

Pros
  • Good work environment; was part of a good team under a good boss (in 17 reviews)

• Benefits were great, decent work-life balance, celebrated diversity (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Having a work-life balance is very challenging here (in 11 reviews)

• Some members of upper management don't know how to manage people (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Experience, but needs a little work

I worked at Technicolor

Pros

The people are very nice and professional and work well in a team environment. Working on high profile projects was an awesome and rewarding experience. The pay and benefits are very good once you have them.

Cons

Having a work-life balance is very challenging here. Many employees across the company work 16+ hours a day.

Show that you value the people who work for your company. Employees should feel that they're quality of life, health and relationships are important to their workplace.

Fulfilling experience

Former Employee - Operations Analyst and Quality Manager  in  North Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Operations Analyst and Quality Manager in North Hollywood, CA

I worked at Technicolor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The office culture was great with lot of opportunities for training. The leadership had vision with an emphasis on continuous improvement.
    Overall a great set of people to work with.

Cons

With the conversion of film to digital, trying to continue the production while making sure that the company was losing money was becoming more and more difficult.

Frustrating highs and lows.

I have been working at Technicolor full-time for less than a year

Pros

Well, the people are great. And the pay is better than average for the industry.

Cons

At least for my department, the hours are insane. We're talking 16-18 hour days, every day. The people are great, but everyone is burned out and there doesn't seem to be any relief in sight. I was laid off by Technicolor years ago when the company moved a lot of the work overseas. Now I'm back, but nothing's changed. Very disappointing.

Bring in more people so everyone's hours can get back to normal.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good coworkers, short-sighted management, hardworking people laidoff for no reason

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Technicolor full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Benefits are decent. Good coworkers. Fun product to work with (entertainment industry). You like the people you work with but hate the people you work for.

Cons

Involved in a lot of outsourcing. Management always in cost cutting mode. Lots of layoffs at the lower level caused less people on the production level to work twice as harder for their low salary. Yet hiring too many managers. The work can be stressful sometimes. Good hardworking people laid off for no reason.

I loved working at Technicolor.

I worked at Technicolor for more than 8 years

Pros

They are genuinely concerned about their employees.

Cons

Work hours are sometimes long.

Remember what brought our success ... Customer Service.

Incredible company, if you are in a place where you can be recognized.

I worked at Technicolor full-time for more than a year

Pros

Certain members of the top brass care for the employees, many do not.

Cons

The leadership is more set on running a Hollywood company than a tech-focused entity.

Take care of your people.

Good to great

Current Employee - Sales Service  in  Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Service in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Technicolor full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay, benefits, managers, products, attitudes.

Cons

There are non except being caught up in a layoff of hundreds.

A series of micro-cultures with a question mark on top...

Current Employee - IT Professional  in  Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - IT Professional in Hollywood, CA

I have been working at Technicolor full-time for less than a year

Pros

The 100 year legacy is no joke - You can feel it just by walking down the hallways (like most Hollywood companies they do a nice job on the office decoration).

- Strong reservoir of technical knowledge and talent. Lots of bright peers and a good atmosphere of contribution.

- A lot of effort and thought is going into the Big Question: How to remain relevant now that film is on the way out?

- This creates a drive for many internal initiatives, some of which are being run like startups (in the good sense of the word).

- The balance of "Old Timers" (people from the Boomer generation who still want to contribute) and Millennials is good. There really is a nice dynamic of creative energy in the place.

- When all is said and done, working for a Hollywood company has a "Cool" factor that can't be ignored. It feels good when you fulfill something that's been on your career "Bucket List" for a long time.

Cons

All the cliche's of tinsel-town (shallow opportunities, creeping paranoia and cynicism) are present, but to be fair it's not as bad as I was expecting.

- The need to work with all the major studios creates a culture of silo's and secrecy. In the Age of Digital people are scared to death of anyone stealing their next thought. It's a shame that most employees can't see a lot of the cool stuff that's being done, it would be a big morale booster if they could just pull back the curtain a bit more.

- Quite a bit of turn-over. Technicolor is one of those places where things are stable, right up until the point where they aren't. But to be fair that's the new normal in Corporate America these days.

- As I said, the "Big Question" dominates everything. Technicolor wants to lead the way now that movies are becoming 100% digital ("Wolf of Wall Street" was the first to use no film anywhere in the process). But can they execute?

Keep funding the leading-edge initiatives, don't lose your cool, don't panic, and don't give in to bean-counter mentality. Remain mindful of your place in history.

Great learning experience.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Technicolor

Pros

Great learning experience. Great people to work with.

Cons

Under staffed. Focused on metrics instead of customer needs.

Great experience during the IPO period for Thomson

I worked at Technicolor full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

In late 90 and early 2000, under leadership of Thierry Breton, Frank D, Joe Clayton, Jim Meyer, Dave Spomer, Enrique Rodriquez, Tim Saeger, it was a terrific place to make a new business difference. Our french CEO was a true global leader who lead in the transformation of a high performance organization leading to our success IPO. Thanks to IPO and our continued performance, I was able to put three kids through college. Great years and friendships.

Cons

With change of top leadership, the culture dramatically changed from a growth oriented global organization to a french centric vision and cost cutting organization.

Learn from positive leadership and watch your employees grow your results.

Worked for Technicolor? Contribute to the Community!