Technicolor

Updated January 20, 2015
2.7

Technicolor CEO Frederic Rose
Frederic Rose

Pros
  • Good work environment; was part of a good team under a good boss (in 17 reviews)

• Benefits were great, decent work-life balance, celebrated diversity (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Having a work-life balance is very challenging here (in 12 reviews)

• Senior management has no vision - focused on the immediate (poor) financial situation (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Good times bad times

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Burbank, CA

I worked at Technicolor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I had a chance to learn so much and meet some great like minded people

Cons

Thomson who owns Technicolor has made some ridiculous decisions on the direction Technicolor takes and as everyone sees they failed

Listen to your employees you don't have every solution they do.

Technicolor Review

Former Employee - Manager in Livonia, MI
    Former Employee - Manager in Livonia, MI

I worked at Technicolor full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good employer if you are in Management,

Cons

Difficult to advance. Communications difficult at best

Be more transparent

Falling Behind the Times

Former Employee - Co-Op in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Co-Op in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Technicolor full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people were very friendly and fun to talk to. Even as a Co-Op I felt that my opinions were included and my work mattered.

Cons

They are falling behind in terms of technology. Especially the testing team, who performs the majority of their tests by hand and manage all of the data generated by tests by hand.

The Indianapolis building also shows its age on the inside. The office is formed of endless corridors of old gross cubicle walls forming tiny, dark cubicles. It looks like something out of classic corporate America and is not the most inspiring environment to work in.

Embrace new technology. It has a lot to offer the company if you take the time to learn it. Create an environment that people want to work in not have to work in.

Exceptional

Current Employee - Certified Trainer in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Certified Trainer in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Technicolor full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits here at technicolor are great along with the pay. The opportunity to work within a well diversed atmosphere.

Cons

Consistent absentism can lead up to being laid off.

My advice to management would be them to be more involved in the day to day operations of the production floor.

Started strong and lost some momentum along the way.

I worked at Technicolor

Pros

If you like international travel, Technicolor is a great company. They have offices all over the world, a cool logo, and there are a lot of really smart engineers.

Cons

Sometimes it seemed like the French and American executives were not always aligned. Not to mention that the French leave the office for 3 weeks in August.

Keep your employees happy.

Project Coordinator

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA

I worked at Technicolor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working alongside some excellent colleagues who taught me a lot. We are still in contact and remain friends after 3 years of being away.

Cons

They keep you as a "contractor" so that they don't have to pay for benefits. They outsource work to India to keep their costs low while they lay-off teams of workers. Most people who are hired as contractors must work a second job in addition to working 40+ hours to earn a livable wage. Management (middle and low) are fearful of losing their jobs so they do not share information with colleagues to train them on procedures and processes. They did not offer raises or promotions while I was employed with them. They started me off with "introduction pay" that was supposed to be temporary and raise to a "normal" rate after 90 days, but stayed the same until I left.

Sinking Ship

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hollywood, CA

I have been working at Technicolor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay

Flexible schedule

Friendly people

Front line managers are pretty decent, but stuck in endless firefighting mode making it impossible to get anything done but the next emergency.

Cons

Terrible management - lack cohesive plan and leadership across all BU's

Extremely sloppy policies and procedures, always just one disaster away from complete failure. Unwilling to take any action to proactively address issues until a failure occurs

Overly political and backstabbing

Perpetually in cost cutting mode - don't expect a raise

Would be surprised if some CS units were still in business 3 to 5 yrs from now or if not sold off

Lose the arrogant attitude. You’re not the company you think you are, you may at one time been a industry leader but now are a laggard that’s barely tolerated by your customers. Stop claiming to be leader and “future trust” of technologies such as cloud and media when you hardly invest in or utilize current technology.

No lunch for you

I worked at Technicolor as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Able to get your feet a little wet in the post production industry. Majority of the employees were friendly and helpful.

Cons

You will be deducted for taking a lunch break. No matter how long your shift is. Pay for same positions greatly varies from one employee to another. Ignorance is bliss for this matter.

Good Experience, but needs a little work

I worked at Technicolor

Pros

The people are very nice and professional and work well in a team environment. Working on high profile projects was an awesome and rewarding experience. The pay and benefits are very good once you have them.

Cons

Having a work-life balance is very challenging here. Many employees across the company work 16+ hours a day.

Show that you value the people who work for your company. Employees should feel that they're quality of life, health and relationships are important to their workplace.

Frustrating highs and lows.

I have been working at Technicolor full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Well, the people are great. And the pay is better than average for the industry.

Cons

At least for my department, the hours are insane. We're talking 16-18 hour days, every day. The people are great, but everyone is burned out and there doesn't seem to be any relief in sight. I was laid off by Technicolor years ago when the company moved a lot of the work overseas. Now I'm back, but nothing's changed. Very disappointing.

Bring in more people so everyone's hours can get back to normal.