Technology Credit Union Reviews

3.1
Barbara B. Kamm

1. Great company to work for

I have been working at Technology Credit Union

Pros

great leadership, good teamwork and work-life balance

Cons

Tech cu has limited locations

Jul 29, 2015 – Organizational and Talent Development Manager

Thank you for sharing your take on working at Tech CU! With our new branch opening in SF, we're expanding into a whole new geography and are excited about being part of the SoMa tech culture!

2. Working at Tech CU

Current Employee - Vice President in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Technology Credit Union (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company culture. Tech CU is committed to quality of life as well as continuing education. This culture is supported from the top down. Compensation is average and benefits are strong. Time off benefits are generous which further supports the quality of life commitment. Leadership team is very strong and innovative. The small size of the company (just over 200 employees) gives everyone exposure to senior leaders. Promotion from internal employees is supported where possible.

Cons

Although in many ways, the small size of the company is a benefit, it adversely impacts employees' ability to move up in the organization, particularly is the smaller administrative support groups. Due to the not-for-profit status of credit unions, compensation is not competitive with Silicon Valley high tech companies; however, I have found it is a worthwhile trade off for the qualify of life.

Advice to Management

Keep heading the direction your heading, particularly with internal employee development programs.

Jul 29, 2015 – Organizational and Talent Development Manager

Thank you for your feedback and your comments! And yes, in smaller orgs it is not always as straightforward as we'd like to have clear and available promotion paths or as easy to compete with the ... More

3. Support for team and members

I have been working at Technology Credit Union full-time

Pros

This is the first organization that I've worked for that truly balances the needs of both our members and our staff. Employees push each other to improve our member experience by suggesting new or better technologies, products and service levels. Employee benefits are better than other credit unions (and other industries as well), especially our PTO, medical and bonus plans but competing on base salaries in Silicon Valley remains a struggle.

Cons

We are limited by tough regulations and negative perceptions of financial institutions, in general.

Advice to Management

Keep innovating - we need to differentiate ourselves from others

Jul 13, 2015 – Organizational and Talent Development Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here at Tech CU. We'll continue to work hard to support our fantastic employees.

5. A good organization

I worked at Technology Credit Union full-time

Pros

There was often good team work on the front line. Many individuals went above and beyond to assist customers as well as each other.

Cons

This organization got some what distracted by trying to become a bank instead of focusing on being the best credit union they can be at all times in this market.

Advice to Management

Do a more thorough job of listening to front line staff. They are the ones interacting most directly with your customers. The can tell you what you need to be doing, if you listen.

Jul 13, 2015 – Organizational and Talent Development Manager

We appreciate your perspective and thank you for sharing your thoughts! We definitely appreciate the fact that so many of our team members do go above and beyond for both the members and for each ... More

6. Program Manager

I have been working at Technology Credit Union full-time

Pros

A small-ish org with a family vibe-from day one I was greeted warmly by almost everybody I encountered. Extremely innovative for a Credit Union, and always looking for ways to improve the member experience and embrace a wider set of products. Genuine open door policy and strong engagement between senior managers and staff.

Cons

It's a small-ish org with a family vibe and doesn't have all the perks of big Silicon Valley companies like Google or Apple. Can be a little slow to embrace non-banking-specific cultural ideas. For those not used to working in banking, the amount of regulatory compliance could be a surprise, but that's the industry, not the company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the open door practices and the strong internal programs! Make some changes that signal how connected Tech CU is to the greater culture of Silicon Valley-maybe go solar and add some EV charging stations.

7. Great place to work. Feels like working in a family oriented environment

Current Employee - Relationship Banker in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Relationship Banker in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Technology Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's relatively small company. Everyone knows each other. Friendly and caring

Cons

As any other small company, career advancement is limited

Great client base.

I have been working at Technology Credit Union full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Managers with tenure are experienced and helpful to peers. Training programs are well above what other organizations offer.

Cons

Once new executive team arrived, the meaning of what a true credit union is supposed to be and what they stand for has been completely lost! The executive team, specifically CEO and Sr. VP of Operations, have caused confusion to staff and distrust from members; infrastructure changes and failed attempt to convert to a Mutual Savings Bank. The credit union no longer values the people who work for the organization. They are treated like they are expendable...there is NO employee focus. They only care about the "bottom line" of making money to line their pockets. It's unfortunate, Tech CU used to be a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Most employees and members are aware of what the org is doing and why. My advice would be to start sharing your real agenda, show your true colors, and maybe you might earn back their respect and loyalty.

9. Great people, good company to work for

I worked at Technology Credit Union full-time

Pros

Most people are friendly & helpful, people like what they are doing & the company as a whole. Most employees fall into two groups: very long timers(10plus years) or under 2 years. Not many people in between the two groups. Excellent in-house training programs.

Cons

Company direction got a little confused, a lot of moving people & depts around as they tried to decide on a direction. A few managers are not "people" friendly or considerate... very cold actually. Most managers are great.

Worked at Technology Credit Union for 3 years

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Technology Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Small company everyone knows each other, flexibility

Cons

Hard to deal with some employees as they can be arrogant and disrespectful. Micro management, slow to none career growth

Advice to Management

When you have received complaints about a manager, either get them to improve immediately or fire them. Don't simply pay for their coaching sessions.

Poor communication, lack of strategic direction, senior management is not trustworthy.

I worked at Technology Credit Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

friendly people, good client base

Cons

Most senior management recently acquired from commercial banking industry and is trying to replicate a big bank culture, similar to SVB or WF.

Advice to Management

Pick one or the other and move on, bank vs CU...

RSS Feed </> Embed