Technology Service Corporation

Michael Syracuse

Terrific Experience and Company...a Great Place to Start

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Technology Service Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I started here as an engineering intern. I honestly had no idea what would be expected of me when I first interviewed for the position. Right off the bat I was put at ease. The interview process was well laid out and straight forward. I met with three members of the technical staff. What impressed me was the fact that they all started each interview by telling me what they did and how they got started in the business. That really allowed me to relax and focus on what came next. The questions they asked me all involved what I had studied and how I thought I could apply it to a task at the company. They also asked about my other work experience and what I hoped to get from the position. I came away with the belief that even as a very junior person I would be able to make a contribution to the team. I worked for TSC for two summers and one semester as a co-op.

After graduation (BSEE) I was happy to receive a full time offer. For the first two years mostly just helped other people on their projects. Most of my tasks involved data collection or analysis. Like most people I had studied MATLAB in school, but I came to learn how useful and sophisticated tool it is in everyday use. Professionally I was lucky to also get exposed to LabView. I participated in a project to help design test stations for avionics systems on advanced Navy aircraft. I feel that it was the best job that I could have taken coming out of school.

Now I am a task leader for projects with our Navy customer and learning to develop my people skills. They have sent me to a conference or short course every year after I went full time. That is not as easy for me as the math, but I know it is an important part of the job. The company is employee owned and has an excellent tuition assistance allowance. I am planning on using it to help me get through graduate school.

Our office and company went through a number of challenges the last few years. We lost one contract, our operations manager retired and it took a while to get the right person in that job. Change is hard to accept and especially hard for an all employee owned firm where many people had worked together for a long time. But I think it made us better. Other senior people retired all about the same time around the company, so there was a lot of uncertainty because 2013 was such a poor year for us and most government contractors.

A year later that has all changed. I am told we finished 2014 back on track with revenue restored. In this industry they measure success by the diversity of the contracts with different customers, revenue earned and how much work there is in backlog. TSC just announced in October (2014) that it has a record high backlog. The new corporate managers started last year by saying that people were the company's most valuable asset. They mean it. In just the last year I have seen emphasis on giving people more authority and responsibility. The CEO has taken interest in recognizing technical accomplishments and rewarding those people who can produce the results we need to be successful.

Cons

Growth opportunities at some offices can be limited depending on the customers at those locations. This is government contract work providing engineering and analysis. If there is a break in a contract you need to be skilled and cross trained to jump on another project, even if only temporary. No one should neglect cross training opporltunities.

I am very satisfied with most changes Mike Syracuse is trying to make, especially opportunities for the all hands meeting where everyone is invited to ask a question or make a comment.

A Great Change

Current Employee - Engineer in Washington, DC

Pros

Great company with great history. Things are really moving in the right direction with changes made since old CEO retired. For first time I understand the company has a plan.

Cons

Employees should get more involved because they own the company. Many just think of it as a job. Sadly for some it is.

Keep the changes and new ideas to create opportunities for everyone.

A sinking ship.  ​I do not trust TSC’s current management.

Current Employee - Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Technology Service Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

TSC had a great reputation. Offices are nice. Technology Service Corporation does have flexible hours.

Cons

Most of the technical and managerial talent that built the good reputation of TSC have left the organization.

Many divisions are shrinking or going away completely.  Many of the long time division managers have recently left (Huntsville, Los Angeles, Colorado, Indiana, etc.)

TSC is an Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) company and has been for the past 20 years.  2014 was the first year that TSC’s stock declined in 20 years.  Bob Graziano was the CEO and President of TSC for 20 years and left TSC in June 2013 (just before the stock declining). Mike Syracuse is the current CEO and President of TSC. I do not trust TSC’s current management.

It seems that the internet is filled with information about the tactics used by Bob Graziano and Mike Syracuse to ensure that Graziano was able to cash out all of his ESOP – but at the detriment of TSC’s (non-executive) employees.

As the sayings goes:
    “If you don’t like the rules, change them.” and “It’s good to be king.”

For more information please search the web on:TSC ESOP

It seems that management cares very little for their employees .  I will talk about what they do to their customers.

Come clean about Graziano and Syracuse illegally raiding the employee’s ESOP retirement plan and harming the employees’ of TSC.

Get new management – Management, especially Mike Syracuse, has to go or TSC and its reputation will go nowhere but lower.

Commit to returning to the principles upon which the company was built. Be honest with your customers, prospects, employees and vendors.

Rewarding, but Frustrating

Former Employee - Research Staff in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Research Staff in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Technology Service Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working here was a great learning experience, branching into a variety of technical areas; especially as my first job out of college. Solid benefits package, employee owned.

Cons

Reliance on SBIR's means chronic funding problems; which leads to excessive overhead costs - and in the long run layoffs when the situation doesn't improve. Little chance for advancement.

TSC doesn't need any more subsidiaries, focus on shoring up the divisions that already exist.

Develop diverse skills.

Current Employee - Engineer in Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Engineer in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Technology Service Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Diverse challenges. Acquire many different skills. The coworkers are very friendly and everyone has an entrepreneurial spirit.

Cons

Dealing with government contracts are risky. Although the benefits are currently good, they have been eroding over the years. The new CEO's background is finance and the culture is starting toward just looking at the bottom line.

Being in the technology world, it is important to keep employees technically sharp. Don't skimp on training, technical classes, and investment in research and development.

Not the most stable place to work with

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at Technology Service Corporation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There are interesting projects (mostly very applied and less research) that one can get practical hands on experience.

Cons

Always scary not having funding and charging to over-head. Company relies heavily on the DoD sector. Specifically, it relies a lot of times on the bread crumbs from bigger companies (e.g. LM). So like all DoD small companies, it has a cyclical ups and downs. Also, probably very hard to get an upper-management position.

Company needs to become more civilian oriented too, if at all possible.

GrG

Current Employee - Rather Not Say in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Rather Not Say in Washington, DC

I have been working at Technology Service Corporation as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

People are professional, great bosses and employee owned. I wish the contract would have continued.

Cons

In order to be competitive, they cut sick time to 5 days (verse 10) without compensation. This was worse for employees who carried over leave.

Might be time to spin off some 8A sub companies to go for new contracts. Need to be flexable in these times.

Great smaller company with solid benefits

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at Technology Service Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Company is employee owned through stock not publicly traded. Great benefits, Lots of quality employees, more leave time than many companies. They tend to hire professionals who can hit the ground running without a lot of management. No micromanagement here. Keep the customers happy and they'll keep you happy.

Cons

Not for someone looking for entry level or a defined management career path type position. You will work on the task you were hired to do.

Seek excellence, not conformity to other companies standards of benefits, pay, leave, etc. If your compensation package becomes the same as the industry standard what would make new hires choose TSC over the rest of the industry?

Very mixed feelings

Former Employee - Accountant in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Accountant in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at Technology Service Corporation

Pros

When I was there they were very accommodating about taking time off and fairly flexible with the working hours. They also try to keep senior management to a minimum.

Cons

Sometimes they do strange things that don't make any sense and seem counterproductive. They talk out of both sides of their mouth. Sometimes it felt like senior management was being manipulated by certain parties.

Value your employees and compensate for hard work of those who are not PM's. Since there seems to be no formal structure for promotion, it is more important to recognize and financially reward good work.

A great job for innovative technical people

Current Employee - Corporate Senior Staff
    Current Employee - Corporate Senior Staff

I have been working at Technology Service Corporation

Pros

TSC provides a variety of technical work with very little in the way of 'managerial overhead'
    Employees are encouraged to persue technical areas of interest
    TSC is employee owned and the Stock price has always exceeded market averages

Cons

There is fairly limited growth opportunities in the management area, but this is more indicative of the small amount of management positions available.

I would make the mechanism for determining bonuses and raises more transparent, perhaps tied to business brought in as well as the intangibles it seems to be based on now.