Techtronic Industries North America

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
2.9
Techtronic Industries North America CEO Joseph Galli Jr.
Joseph Galli Jr.

Pros
  • Company truck and all the expenses paid for with it (in 12 reviews)

• good pay/benefits, get a truck with gas card (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • 100% of your time is spent working in Home Depot (in 29 reviews)

• Working in Home Depot sucks, Depot employees are mostly worthless and show no appreciation for your hard work (in 6 reviews)

1. Great position

Former Employee - Field Sales Representative in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Field Sales Representative in Durham, NC

I worked at Techtronic Industries North America

Pros

Awesome management, great communication between management and sales team. Work vehicle and reimbursement included

Cons

Territory line can be wide spread. Commission is not monetary.

Advice to Management

Provide more training with product line.

2. Field Sales and Marketing Representative

Former Employee - Field Sales Representative in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Field Sales Representative in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Techtronic Industries North America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gas card, truck, cell phone and training.

Cons

They are inconsistent as far as the promotions go, their POP team is not efficient.

3. Good place to learn

Current Employee - Field Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Field Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Techtronic Industries North America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company Car
    Freedom
    Very Task Oreinted
    You learn a lot about power tools and the industry

Cons

you are in a home depot all day. enough said
    you also get 900 packages shipped to your house a week

Advice to Management

Please limit the amount of packages you send to our front door. it gets really taxing.

5. Field Sales and Marketing Representative

Former Employee - Field Service Representative in Lenoir City, TN
    Former Employee - Field Service Representative in Lenoir City, TN

I worked at Techtronic Industries North America (More than 3 years)

Pros

Industry leader in tower tool technology. Good benefits and reward opportunities as well.

Cons

Non LDPs are not given even a fraction of the training that LDPs are granted.

6. LDP - Field Sales Rep

Current Employee - Leadership Development Program & Field Sales Representative in Issaquah, WA

I have been working at Techtronic Industries North America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, company car with gas card and insurance, 401k with 50% match, Highly unsupervised role, fairly decent sales training. They like to send you free shirts and stuff, which are fairly good quality.

Cons

The number of expectations is absurd. It is unbelievably clear that the corporate people who plan and create all the tasks have absolutely no idea of how it actually operates in the field. No bonus, no commission, despite it being a sales job. You are expected to reach sales minimums and growth %, but you get nothing in return except reward points. For me, there was absolutely no work/life balance. Wake up at 5am, get home at 5-6pm.

Advice to Management

Where is the LDP? Waking up and showing up to work is what you consider Leadership development? Did not learn the insides and outs of the business, did not get cross training, did not truly develop skills related to leadership except waking up and showing up to work. No upward mobility due to no recognition ( I was in a remote territory and saw my manager 1 time in 9 months )

7. Field Sales Repersenative

Current Employee - Field Sales Representative in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Field Sales Representative in Portland, OR

I have been working at Techtronic Industries North America

Pros

Get a new truck, gas is all paid for. Plus you get sent tools to demo and use for your own projects.

Cons

Over hyped Home Depot Employee. You get mail and boxes delivered everyday to your house.

Advice to Management

Work with Home Depot to have more mapped items.

8. Long story short: they lied.

Former Employee - Event Marketing Specialist in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Event Marketing Specialist in Boston, MA

I worked at Techtronic Industries North America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Company vehicle that you can use as a personal vehicle, company cell phone, decent salary
    -All of the managers (that I met in person) were friendly and supportive

Cons

The role was not even remotely similar to what they claimed it to be. They lied through their teeth during my interview process. My background is entirely in marketing with three years of prior experience. Despite the incredibly misleading title of "Event Marketing Specialist," my job function was the same as the entry level sales role that dozens have reviewed here.

If you are looking for a career in marketing, DO NOT TAKE THIS JOB. This role is 100% high pressure selling at Home Depot. There is absolutely no marketing involved, and no hope for upward mobility in any department other than sales. I NEVER would have accepted this role had I known what it would actually entail. I am fortunate that my previous employer was willing to take me back before I wasted any more time with this absolute sham of a company.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to your prospective employees about this position. It is unethical and bad business practice. It is not exactly hard to figure out why this place has such high turnover.

9. Field Marketing and Sales Representative

Pros

The truck is a huge perk along with a competitive 401(k) plan and competitive pay make this job appealing. That's what lures people in. And that's about where the pros end.

Cons

-Company ships massive boxes to your house almost everyday, even if the object being shipped is tiny. Often times the boxes contain displays and POP that will not be used for 2-3 months. This means that you are tasked with trying to organize and remember what a skimpy literature card is supposed to be used for in addition to addressed whatever needs to be used in the short-term. I cannot stress how many boxes there are; it is insane if you live in a small apartment. Likewise, they ship additional merchandise that is expected to be put up in TTI bays that the stores end up throwing out anyway...
    -No work/life balance; I have stores that are 3.5 hour commutes each day, waking up at 6AM and getting home at 6PM. I (and others I have spoken to) typically eat lunch in our trucks.
    -Upper management has ridiculous expectations of what can and cannot get done. As the company has seen financial success and bought additional brands, more and more responsibility has fallen on the reps that is inconceivable to accomplish because of additional SKUs. It is common occurence for a rep to have each day planned out for a week (because of the nature of the job, you typically only see a given store once a week, so you need to get a lot done in one day) and then to all of a sudden completely change course because of an obscure email from someone you have never met, only to get reprimanded by another email later in the week for not accomplishing the original task that had to go on the back burner.
    -They like us to sign "BSR's" at least every two weeks as Multi Store Reps, but this past spring has had many more resets than usual so the regular day-to-day tasks that managers and the upper management requires us to get done cannot because of aformentioned adhoc projects. This is a cause for concern because management sometimes "walks" stores and if they see you haven't signed BSRs in a regular pattern, you can get in a lot of trouble that can lead to termination. Each bay that has a TTI product needs to be signed, so although this sounds like a little annoyance, it can take over an hour and a half to sign the whole store. And for what? It isn't really productive.
    -The title says it is a sales job but you do almost no selling - if you're actually trying to do your job. There is no commission or incentive to do well other than your boss demanding a certain amount of "success stories." Oddly enough, upper management likes to email out a couple hundred emails a week of people who have been able to make big sales. They claim it is to motivate us. As someone who submitted one of the pictures that littered fellow reps' emails, often times you are just in the right place at the right time.
    -You don't work with anyone from the company. I can go weeks without seeing my boss. Although most managers in the field are solid managers, there is very little camaraderie between reps. You almost never see your team.
    -The Home Depot (understandably) has majority of their end caps prepurchased from TTI, Stanley, KitchenAid, and other companies. Yet, management measures our success by whether or not we can secure end caps and shadow boxes. Again, ridiculous expectation given companies spend millions of dollars per quarter to have the right to have that spot...
    -The company is growing a lot, so there are opportunies, but the promotions are sporadic and unclear. I hear they are political, too, in that you have to be liked by the regional manager (two levels up), but I cannot personally speak to this experience. But I could believe it. Again, you're only noticed through sending in "success" stories and your numbers, which you cannot really control.
    -The biggest headache are the actual Home Depot employees. Some are wonderful and helpful. Others are not, and it depends on your story as to which are not. For me, my biggest headache lies with receiving, who will break down boxes held for me or put them in obscure places, which takes time away from me being able to execute the myriad of tasks I have to do. This is especially troublesome when I have to do a reset that takes 8 hours and spend an hour or two hours sawing through old destination centers because it won't fit in the trash, retrieving broken down quarter pallets and figuring out how to place them on unavailable shadow boxes instead, etc.
    -It is a "CYA" environment. I don't feel like I am really helping employees or the company at all but just making sure I am in good graces.

Advice to Management

The LDP needs to be completely gutted and remodeled. Having multiple reps work together more often to create some sort of loyalty to TTI and a company environment while also increasing efficiency, sending more POP to THD instead of our houses, and being more realistic of what we can get done in a day would help deter so many people leaving the company at such a high rate.

Egocentric Maniacs

Current Employee - Field Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Field Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

None, if at all possible avoid this company like the plague.

Cons

Where to begin.

Company- All the higher ups are from Stanley Black&Decker and they all are very bitter about them. They establish unrealistic epectations on their field reps. If your territory or stores have competitor paid for end caps up you are never going to get promoted. Other companies pay high dollars for mapped merchandise and we get in trouble if Home Depot stores have it up. UNREALISTIC. It's reviewed as a sales job but there is no commission..........again terrible format by this company. Operations is a joke, endless emails and tasks that don't help you during the day.

LDP Program is a complete joke. ONE person is in control of your promotions. There is no way for you to know about promotions what so ever. If you are applying for this company in the West Coast good luck with getting promoted.

You are a glorified Home Depot Associate but get a lot of merchandising material sent to your house. BOXES upon Boxes.

If you're with the company more than 2 years expect all new reps to make $5000-$8000 more than you.

Advice to Management

Hire new Divisional Managers or don't glorify Promotions upon the hiring process it's all false lies.

Easy job that prepares you for next role

Former Employee - Field Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Field Sales Representative

I worked at Techtronic Industries North America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, not extremely difficult, training is very good. Never work Sundays, saturdays about 4-5 months of the year during busy time. Company vehicle is provided, with personal use alloted as well. There are incentives for sales contests and other objectives. Always hiring new people and promoting if you're willing to move. Pay a moving bonus.

Cons

Can get repetitive, you work hard for a year in order to get promoted. If you get stuck in this job it would not be a fun position to be in for any length of time. Some consider it "paying your dues". Get pulled in a lot of different directions by the various brands. Very much will want you to move, which can be tough if you don't want to.

Advice to Management

Streamline internal processes. There's 50 websites to log into - also it's 2015 develop an app to order parts, pop, etc. The external websites for customers are amazing but the internal ones are very outdated.

RSS Feed </> Embed