Tecolote Research Reviews

Updated November 5, 2014
18 reviews filtered by
3.3
James Y. Takayesu

1. Great place to start a career and gain a large amount of knowledge. Plus, they have amazing benefits!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goleta, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goleta, CA

I have been working at Tecolote Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits are exceptional, it's nearly impossible to find an employer these days that cares as much as Tecolote does about employee benefits. As a recent college grad, I was very impressed by the level of benefits I received on my very first day. Beyond the benefits, I found that Tecolote employs a wide range of people with varying experience levels. I have learned so much about the industry, and have personally growth more than I could have expected. They look for employees who are eager to learn and want to join a fun and professional team. I highly recommend considering working for Tecolote.

Cons

I haven't found any issues with this employer

2. Great place to work, but you have to do your due diligence

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Tecolote Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It feels like family here. Good work is rewarded, and criticism is always constructive. Management works hard to keep morale up, and it is a true employee owned culture, you feel loyal to your team and your customers. I have had my fair share of work in various industries, and know that corporate culture can be cold, but NOT HERE. Tecolote provides a highly professional and nurturing environment to build your skills, gain immense knowledge and exposure, travel, and take advantage of the mentor-ship that is always available as well as encouraged. They create an environment to help grow high quality project control professionals. I love my job.

Cons

I see that there are many reviews here on GlassDoor that are from junior analysts complaining of boring work, and mediocrity. Some of this is true, but it is also a foundation for building a great analyst. There is some red tape to get around when wanting to surpass mediocrity and take your work and your company to the next level. Passionate people may become frustrated. Overcoming that frustration is up to the individual (which is not a problem to those of us that are thick skinned).

Advice to Management

Need better commercial presence, but this all starts with a better foundation for a brand, that has marketable messages to other industries that are non-government. This is just a challenge that can be overcome with the right investment of time and dollars for future market penetration - an investment in future growth and adaptability.

3. Engineering and Cost Analysis Firm

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Tecolote Research full-time

Pros

The organization is kind to its employees, and the organization has a excellent reputation it its field. Benefits are excellent.

Cons

I have no real complaints

Long time employee here.

I have been working at Tecolote Research full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Retirement plan. Benefits. There are still some very smart people floating around here who know their stuff. Supporting the nation's defense through good analysis is rewarding.

Cons

I've been around for years but this company is definitely on the decline. Pay is not commensurate with performance. Many directors who have done nothing for years will continue to do nothing for years to come. Very cliquish. More and more effort being exerted to improve image rather than quality of work. Enormous amounts of time being spent to ensure compliance with corporate rules and zero time being spent ensuring quality products. Division management has their hands tied since all decision making seems to come directly from the top of corporate management with no exceptions. This is the great little company that starting acting like a bureaucratic big company and forgot what made it great to begin with. Went from hiring the cream of the crop to the bottom of the barrel because they were cheap.

Advice to Management

Shave off the excess overhead management with no discernible product or service being provided. Empower and invest in the people that are actually bringing in revenue for the company. Learn to be flexible and adapt to the changing industry.

Do Not Work Here

Current Employee - Cost Analyst in Manhattan Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Cost Analyst in Manhattan Beach, CA

I have been working at Tecolote Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Able to quickly get experience from an entry level position as a cost or earned value analyst
    - Good benefits, admittedly tough to beat the medical and retirement.
    - Don't really have to work that hard

Cons

- Work is extremely boring
    - Lack of transparency from management to workers
    - Extremely flat organization, little room to progress
    - Low pay in comparison to competition. Management uses the great benefits to justify the low pay.
    - Employees aren't exactly the cream of the crop. Government influenced culture, mediocrity is not only tolerated, but accepted and celebrated.
    - Don't actually make/produce or DO anything. Essentially a glorified staffing company.

Advice to Management

- Raise pay, provide a clear path for promotions.

Excellent Corporate Culture, Great Benefits!

I have been working at Tecolote Research full-time

Pros

I love working at Tecolote. The benefits are great (no health care premiums, 0% matching for ~25% retirement), and the staff camaraderie makes for an enjoyable office atmosphere. Corporate culture feels tight-knit with good access to management personnel. Work/life balance is a plus here, 25 days PTO, somewhat flexible work schedule. Advancement opportunities have been excellent here (several promotions). With opportunities and great benefits, I've never seen a reason to leave. :)

Cons

Office space is getting tight; staff is expanding faster than the real estate.

8. Good starting point. Your mileage may vary on whether you stay

Former Employee - Cost Analyst
    Former Employee - Cost Analyst

I worked at Tecolote Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ridiculous amount of knowledge you'll pick up here. You'll learn lifecycle cost management from nearly every perspective, and the team you'll work with is very liberal with allowing you to take on advanced responsibilities.

Cons

The pay is abysmal. I don't think Tecolote even has a cost of living adjustment for the DC metro area. The pay I received there was comparable to a similar position in the midwest. You can't pay the rent on that.

Advice to Management

Open the coffers to pay your people what they're worth. I know the pension plan is fantastic, but people need to be able to live NOW, not five years from now.

9. Good company, Great benefits

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Manhattan Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Manhattan Beach, CA

I worked at Tecolote Research full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The medical and retirement benefits at Tecolote are among the best I have seen in my career work experience. Employer contributed retirement is very rare these days.

Cons

The nature of the business model of Tecolote is to acquire government contracts. In this contracting environment that is extremely challenging with the changing rules for government contracting this will continue to be an issue.

Advice to Management

Diversify into other areas, there are a lot of talented people at Tecolote and their skills can be used in areas besides government contracts.

10. Rocky Start

Current Employee - Principal Cost Analyst in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Cost Analyst in Bedford, MA

I have been working at Tecolote Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company paid health insurance! Well respected in the industry.

Cons

Managers were overly critical of new hire's work.

11. Great little company

Former Employee - Cost Analyst in Bedford, MA
    Former Employee - Cost Analyst in Bedford, MA

I worked at Tecolote Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful training program which includes OTJ training with a more senior analyst, as well as classroom training before you head to the support office and subsequent classroom training once you get your feet wet. They have a great back office support group and really stress continued learning and professional certifications

Cons

They operate almost exclusively in the defense sector which is seeing, and will probably continue to see a few tough years, and their contracts are typically recompeted every so many years. While they have more or less cornered the market on defense cost analysis and do a phenomenal job they are subject to government source selections where contract selections could be based on poltical decisions instead of fundamental analysis