Tecomax Reviews

2.2
CEO

real opportunity

I worked at Tecomax full-time

Pros

You have the abilty to start with little to no experience. there is plenty of room for growth if your willing to put in the time and dedicatino there really is GOOD MONEY IN THIS COMPANY. just with any real JOB you get back what you put in. and thats exactly what they build this company around.

Cons

The only con is just like with any company who lets someone go for not doing what their supose to people want to brand smash or say mean things out of anger and they should not .

Advice to Management

yall are great speakers and do a fantastic job trying to help every person you can just keep it up and dont let all these trash talkers get you down.

If you have options, avoid Tecomax

I worked at Tecomax full-time

Pros

You do have to sort through the BS sales pitch the hiring and on-boarding people sell you (they get compensated based on A) getting you to the interview, B) getting you to the training, and C) getting you to stay the entire training. Obviously, their primary concern is making you stick around and they definitely take liberties with the truth to ensure that you do...... BUT, the potential to make money is definitely there. While I'm obviously not recommending the company, there's no denying that people make money working for them - some even good money. I too had some good days/weeks (but in my opinion the money was not worth the price). I never had any clawback issues - real or false as others have mentioned. This could be a con as well, but if you have a (non violent) criminal record, they will still hire you (loosely using "hire" since, as an independent contractor, you won't technically work for them). As others have mentioned, they will also do their best to "help" you pass a drug test.

Cons

First off, walk into the interview with your BS meter on - it might start to go off so often you think it's broken, it's not. There are a lot of them and some of the other reviewers have mentioned most of them, but here's a list anyway: 100% commission? - Yes, no sales, no pay. Benefits? - NONE (Lack of) Culture? - MONEY; everything is about MONEY. It is the sole motivating force. Door to door? - You bet, ALL door to door. Long hours? - Yes. Considering that it is all commission it is downright infuriating that you'll already have been at work for close to 4 hours before you can even attempt a sale. At which point you still have 7-8 hours "in the field" left. After all that (a total of 11-12 hours), you still have to get home from wherever you are. Tecomax say they have workshops for your benefit, but I saw very little useful information and/or training during these. Rather, this time is mostly spent listening to managers talk about how much money they make, and how much money they want to make, not to mention stupid stuff they throw away money at. Think about this, working for $10/h for 12 hours/day you'd be making $120/day guaranteed working these same hours - compare that to the numerous days where Turnover? - Super high, for obvious reasons. The pitch? - The pitch you will be selling your customers does not necessarily match with reality. As far as I could tell, most reps don't seem to understand this, but the bottom line is that you will likely be screwing people over. Some you will help, but don't buy into this cheap trick. It's a big ol' double suck; it sucks for your customer because they just got screwed, and it sucks for you when that feel-good feeling dissipates and you realize how you screwed the customer - good luck enjoying that money (maybe you lack empathy and can, in which case, go get 'em tiger). Hot leads? - Yeah, not so much. You will receive "leads" but all these are, are people who are pre-qualified for the rates you're pitching - which essentilly means they pay their bills somewhat on time. So it's more like P2P cold calling. Saturated market? - Yes. Now, Tecomax will tell you that they are selling something everyone needs no matter what (power), and that's true obviously, but they will not tell you that the people amenable to change are already educated and know to shop around. The people who are clueless, well, most of them won't change because you show up for the third time. Which leads me to the fact that you will hit up areas that have been hit up before, repeatedly, by Tecomax and a plethora of reps from other companies. There's more, but frankly, I'm tired of typing (since I saved the cons section for last), so I'll close by saying this: Remember, there are people who make good money here, and some have managed to turn their lives around by working at Tecomax - maybe you are one of these people. But more likely, you'll end up hating your experience with Tecomax and will regret the moment you stepped inside the door at their office. So, if you have other options, exercise them!

Advice to Management

1. You don't have to deceive people and clients in order to make money! 2. In terms of management in general, any company where you promote the best performers instead of the best managers will, most of the time, have a leadership deficiency; this is the case at Tecomax as well. So my number one recommendation is, hire/promote the best leaders, not the leading sellers. 3. Don't make money the ONLY incentive. Stop talking about how much money you have and how much money you spend on stupid stuff and start helping your "employees" make money in an ethical way 4. If you are going to sell "employees" on how much money they are saving people, maybe you should make sure that said people actually save money. Waaaay too many reps believe the hooky math you sell them during training - and in some cases it is right - but make sure they understand how to do math on promotions as well... Because I did, and my math did not get me anywhere near as cheap as you claimed in your math (and my 94th percentile GMAT score says I'm decent at math). My bet is that you'd see far fewer clawbacks if people received the correct estimates/numbers/rates - although, you'd probably see fewer total sales as well; I guess it's down to your conscience, mine did not stick it out at your company for too long. 5. IF you don't want to actually hire people, make sure they know that they will have to pay taxes on their earnings down the line. My guess is that not all of the managers understand that and how their company deceives both "employees" and end customers (consumers sold the products, not the client company) - either that or they are phenomenal liars (but considering how transparent a lot of other disinformation and lies were, I doubt that this is the case. If this is you, as an individual manager, stop drinking your own cool aid! I'm not saying that you aren't making money - I know you are - but take a moment and step back, look at the big picture and ask yourself if your money is worth the shady parts of making a living working for Tecomax. Also, final thought, why bother with a drug test when you go out of your way (as in having others pee for drug users) to make sure people pass it.

Answer to management

Former Employee - Team Leader in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Tecomax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

very easy to get hired here, like all the posts say below. Drug tests can be failed, some might consider this a pro... Lots of smiling faces.

Cons

all the positive reviews here are clearly from management. It's clear especially if you have ever worked in management of this company. The money stated at 4300 in a week plus bonuses is BS. I know the girl that holds the company record for DFW largest check offices! And she doesn't work there anymore. This place is built upon lies and deceit. I strongly recommend to stay away, the are master manipulator sand liars. And the article about long hours translates into around 11 dollars per hour is exactly right, plus no taxes taken out so subtract 20% from that $11 to boot. Am so glad I left this company, I now have the best benefits ever for my family and work in an excellent environment, my life is so much better since I left. And the reason I stayed so long is because, like I said, they are master manipulators and amazing lairs!

Advice to Management

Stop your lies and stop ruining people's Lives to gain on your finances.

Waste of time JOB

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Tecomax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If they had a no star rating i would click that. Dont do it ppl. They lie to you from the start. U will loose alot working for them. Its lies all over

Cons

waste of time JOB. Dont do it. You will loose time money and your family if you do.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to ppl to get them to work for yall

Agent Rep. Reliant - (DFW and Houston)

Former Employee - Agent in DFW, TX
    Former Employee - Agent in DFW, TX

I worked at Tecomax full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They gave me opportunities to move in and out of state which I thought was really cool especially since I had not finished college yet. They hired me which felt good especially since I had been on many interviews with people who told me either I didnt qualify or was over qualified. After going through the training course for Tecomax's Reliant team, I was able to make $1,300 my 1st week, $1,100 my 2nd week and $4,300 my 3rd week + my Bonuses. I had no issues like those below. I would even ask: Why did you work for 2-3 years with those guys if you were that miserable? the money was amazing, they work with schedules and they promote fast?

Cons

They worked with my school schedule and I only needed to work 3-5 days a week to make $1,000 a week so I have no Cons really. I was able to do this consistantly for 3 years. I had to move to a non deregulated state so I had to give up the job : (

Advice to Management

Duplicate your DFW team and make an office in Florida for us to work at! Please!

Don't be fooled!

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Tecomax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

little to no hiring qualifications, they will hire anyone.

Cons

This company does not care about its employees at all. You can Fail your drug test so there are lots of drug users working here as well. I worked here for over a year and saw many people end up 10x worse than they started off when they walked in the doors. They do a great job of promising the world and not delivering. I was told many times I would be running an office soon and never saw a single piece of that either. There were many failed deals that I would call the customer to ask why the cancelled and they would have service with reliant. So it seems to me that this company is very dishonest on payment as well. The Management is very two faced, I had to move for a week and got a text from the national that it was his goal to eliminate me after I had been a top producer in the company for over a year, writing between 12-20 deals consistent on a weekly basis. Like I said they do not care about there employees, during this time I had also qualified to go on a paid vacation for the company. I worked very hard, they did not deliver on that either. Everything about this place is a lie! Stay away at all Costs!!!! There is also no benefits or compensation here at all your 1099.

Advice to Management

dont lie to your employees, value your hard working ones. Don't lie about your business and pay people for what they have done.

Tecomax is the worst company I've ever worked for! My life hasn't ever been better since I got away from Tecomax!!!!!

Former Contractor - Regional Sales Manager/TEAM LEADER in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Contractor - Regional Sales Manager/TEAM LEADER in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Tecomax as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

They will hire people that can't read write or spell! So if your in this category definitely apply! They also have great opportunities for homeless people.

Cons

Tecomax is a multi-level Marketing company/scheme. They completely brainwash the hardworking people that work for them. If your applying at Tecomax run while you can. I worked there for almost two years. The best thing that has ever happened to me was getting away from Tecomax. They have shorted me on so many of my checks it is ridiculous! I would sign a customer up, they would tell me the customer canceled and didn't pay me on the job. I would then call the customer and they were still enrolled. I worked 80hrs a week for almost two years and have nothing to show for it. I drove 7 people around all day, got them to believe in Tecomax's system, and basically ruined their lives. I was running a road trip and had a guy threaten about 7 people with a knife. I called to see what I should do about it, my boss said to just not worry about it and to tell people just to not talk to him. Like I said run while you can.

Advice to Management

Stop brainwashing people. Stop promising the world to people just to get them to start working for you.

Seriously the best Company I've ever worked for.

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Plano, TX

I have been working at Tecomax full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Despite all these horrible things I've read about this company I've actually haven't worked for a better company. I've been in several different industries. First off this company does not suck the life out of you nor does it ruin relationships as the post below would lead you to believe. Tecomax is a business. Any person that has a contract with our company are held up to the most professionalism. Tecomax isn't a scam. We have been in business for over 20 years. We are recognized by the BBB and also a foutune 500 company. We give fantastic oportunites so many, many people. We only hire the best to represent the top Retail Energy Providers. We take pride in each and every person that we hire. I am highly upset with the bad mouthing these ex agents put on this website. This business has been there for my thick and thin. We are all family here at Tecomax!

Cons

The only challenge that you would find is that this isn't a show up and get paid job. Hard work gets you further than you think!

Advice to Management

The management are the backbone of this company, extremely experienced and take care of every single person that is apart of this team.

Worst Decision Ever

I worked at Tecomax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ability to make as much as you want, quick advancement, ability to move up the chain of command quickly

Cons

100% commission, they lie and deceive you saying that you will get a base plus commission. Pay structure is unclear and lucrative, they expect you to travel for weeks at a time. Long hours and they try to say it's not really door to door but it is 100% cold knocking with a "pre qualified list" terrible hours as well as long hot days = high turnover rate.

Advice to Management

Be upfront with trainees about pay structure, be more professional during training sessions

A Working Experience Worse than Anything I Could Have Imagined

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Plano, TX

I worked at Tecomax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I now understand just how utterly vindictive and abusive a company can really be.

Cons

This "job" is a scam. 1. They're training program is about a week long. You will not be paid for training. 2. You are required to pay for the cost of your own drug test. 3. In the interview they will tell you that you can expect to earn $2000 per month. This is a bald faced lie. Be advised: the market for privatized energy has been saturated. There is very little money to be made selling it, and it is 100% commission. 4. You will be expected to work 6 days a week, 12 hours per day. Again, this is 100% commission, so if you don't make anything, you are out of luck. 5. When I was forced to quit that "job" since it was not paying my bills, and I was unable to actively search for work while working there (since I was working 72 hours per week), and was forced to file for unemployment through the military, they went out of their way to tell the Texas Workforce Commission that they were my employer, which is also a bald-faced lie. Because I filed W9s, and not W4s with them, technically, I was self-employed, and not an employee of their company; a fact they went out of their way to point out during the training program. This is why they are able to make you work without actually paying you; and because of this, they never paid a red cent in unemployment taxes for me -- and yet they told the TWC that I had been an employee of theirs. Complete falsehood. I now have to go through a lengthy appeals process to get my unemployment benefits, and in the meantime, my rent is coming due. I will probably have to borrow money from my parents or temporarily accept a high school caliber job (after a career as a military officer) because of these crooks. These people will steal your life, pay you nothing, and then go out of their way to urinate on your corpse. STAY AWAY.

Advice to Management

Conning people into working for nothing is one thing. Going out of your way to screw with them after the fact is indefensible.

RSS Feed </> Embed