Teen Mania Ministries

Ron Luce

Hard Working, focus is always God and People

Current Employee - Acquire the Fire Operations in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Acquire the Fire Operations in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Teen Mania Ministries full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You are considered, you constantly being asked how we can make things better for our customers and as employees what wold help us to succeed. They are understanding and wiling to bend for us. Kemtal and Ron are both willing to leave a VM when needed or talk to a customer when they have a bad experience. Great Atmosphere, Weekly Chapel, Praying all around. They teach great life skills and allow a great starting point for someone just out of high school or even college. They take the time to coach you and bring you to a new level of excellence in your ability.

Cons

Not hearing back from the people we call can be discouraging. Hearing all of the negative publicity from previous interns who are no longer in the loop of the ministry but feel the need to share their thoughts.

Keep Praying and looking towards God. We are all weak and lacking, the Lord is the only provider for us.

Overwhelming, but worth it

Former Employee - Apprentice
    Former Employee - Apprentice

I worked at Teen Mania Ministries as an intern (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great office culture, at least in my Department.
    You can see the results of the ministry first hand at ATF

Cons

They tend to preach excellence, but the upper levels don't show it.

Focus more on being excellent in everything the ministry does, not just in what people see publicly.

One of my favorite places in TX

Former Employee - ATF Caller, Alumni Liaison & Coffee Shop Manager in Garden Valley, TX

I worked at Teen Mania Ministries full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Almost everyone is driven, full of vision. Teen Mania is a great doorway of opportunity. amazing people and work environment. the impact of what you do is clear and direct.

Cons

Many last minuet additions and changes, one must be extremely flexible to work there. high turnover due to the internship for most involvement last only year. extreme competitiveness between the departments.

I would do it all again in a heartbeat, never in my life have I experienced such personal growth. your values are outstanding, be sure you stand by them regardless of criticism. hold standers through-out departments

Awesome vision for global outreach. Changing the world for Jesus.

Current Employee - Department Director
    Current Employee - Department Director

I have been working at Teen Mania Ministries full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The culture of TM lines up with my personal values.

Cons

Poor compensation and poor interdepartmental communication.

Love the ministry and community!

Current Employee - Project Manager in Lindale, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Lindale, TX

I have been working at Teen Mania Ministries full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing is the community. Staff have the ability to mentor young adults both in the workplace and personally. The vision of the organization is one that inspires others to join and run with it. Love senior leadership! They are not perfect, but in the midst of trial, they never lose sight of their vision.

Cons

High expectations. This is a good thing, but difficult to meet due to lack of knowledgeable staff and support. Salaries are on low end.

Make sure you value the support staff as well as the "VIP's" and continue to seek knowledge and input from them. Keep pressing on!

Stretching opportunity

Former Employee - Financial Specialist in Garden Valley, TX
    Former Employee - Financial Specialist in Garden Valley, TX

I worked at Teen Mania Ministries as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

The atmosphere is great especially if you get along well with your co-workers. The leadership tend to help you reach your potential and get you out of your comfort zone in order to expand your horizons.

Cons

There are too many quick changes at TMM. Adaptability is absolutely vital. You cannot expect to get comfortable in a routine because odds are that something will be different within a month or two.

Although TMM isn't legalistic, the strict rules and how situations are approached come across as legalistic. Emphasizing concern and love in confrontation needs to be a priority rather than what needs to be confronted. The "why" rather than the "what" is more important.

Amazing Workplace/internship

I have been working at Teen Mania Ministries

Pros

Awesome community, helped me learn a lot in a professional environment.

Cons

Internship/classes and other activities can be stressful, but great learning experience.

Wonderful vision, poorly managed

Former Employee - Director in Lindale, TX
    Former Employee - Director in Lindale, TX

I worked at Teen Mania Ministries full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Teen Mania reaches thousands of young people every year with its programs. Many young people come to know Christ at these events and their lives are forever changed.

Cons

60% of the labor force is free, most of them 18-20 years old. There is a lack of experienced leadership in most of the areas. Most of the supervisors or managers are in their early to mid 20s, most of which have only worked for Teen Mania. Financially, the organization is in rough waters. The executive leadership is not willing to take responsibility for the actions; however, they have agreed to let the bank take back the 400+ acre campus. Over the last year entire departments ranging between 3-6 paid staff have vanished, leaving only 1st and 2nd year interns running most of the operation.

Most of the people that have left in the last year left because of Ron's unwillingness to admit that he has mismanaged the finances. Regardless, if it is actually his fault or not, he is the CEO. Either remove Ron as CEO, take him off the board, or make him a non-voting member of the board. Ron is a great visionary; however, he is not a manager and needs to be replaced. Also, the board needs to be made up of independent members. Start over from scratch.

Full of vision while lacking on reality

Current Employee - Director in Lindale, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Lindale, TX

I have been working at Teen Mania Ministries full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people. Passion, drive, and vision are in no short order when working with the staff or volunteers.
    The vision. It is easy to get excited about the impact and influence you can have while working at Teen Mania.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations. Okay, so maybe this is the status quo in ministry, but the pressure and expectations are both unrelenting and can be very demoralizing.
    Issues at the top. The CEO seems to have no grasp on reality and no accountability. The Board of Directors (which should provide oversite) is about on par with the organization's turnover rate. (about 85-90% per year)

The Board of Directors needs to appoint either a new CEO or a COO and CFO with authority to lead the organization. Currently the Board is only independently voting so long as they agree with the CEO. He controls who is on the Board, so if they disagree with his decisions, they are off the board.

Exploitation

Former Employee - Financial Liaison in Garden Valley, TX
    Former Employee - Financial Liaison in Garden Valley, TX

I worked at Teen Mania Ministries as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

I made some really great friendships out of my time there, but beyond that I don't have much to say that's very positive.

Cons

Low (or no!) pay, lots of pressure, little flexibility, intense and critical culture. Leadership can be unreasonable at times, and there's a significant amount of visibly wasteful spending, while employees and interns get nothing.

Consider investing in people over profits.

Teen Mania Ministries Photos