Tekelec

Tekelec Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Tekelec President & CEO Ronald J. de Lange

Ronald J. de Lange

Pros
  • It was a great company years ago in the hay day of SS7 testing and Eagle product(in 3 reviews)

• Lots of great people to work with at Tekelec(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Tekelec management can't seem to pick a winning strategy and they're basically buying up small company after(in 4 reviews)

• Middle-level managers trade employees every six months or so(in 3 reviews)

Good group of people with acceptable benefits

Software Engineer IV (Current Employee) Morrisville, NC

ProsThe people and the work are both good. There are opportunities to move around within the company. Vacation benefit is good.

ConsBenefits have eroded over the last several years (probably standard for the industry but disappointing). Upper management keeps things close to the vest.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare more information on the difficulties the company faces. Don't put a positive spin on bad news. It would be better to hear bad news and a plan to make it better.

Software Engineer who left before the breakup

Software Engineer IV (Former Employee) Morrisville, NC

ProsTelecom salaries, many highly talented people, awesome cafeteria (you don't realize how awesome that is until you don't have one)

ConsMany poor first-level managers, big company environment, tough to break in to core development, uncertainty

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the company as quickly as possible and take the buyouts

Good benefit

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Plano, TX

ProsGood benefit. Nice working environment. Offered stock options, ESPP, bonus.

ConsNarrow growth path if you are looking for fast career development with more challenges.

Advice to Senior Managementrevitalize innovation as it used to have.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Used to be a great company!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Morrisville, NC

ProsNice, smart people to work with each day!!

ConsFor the executives, who oversaw a round of layoffs in mid-year 2011, the sale meant $4.3 million for CEO Ronald de Lange, $1.8 million for CFO Gregory Rush and $1.6 million for general counsel Stuart Kupinsky. The employees did not receive a bonus for 2011!!! How do the executives even face their employees each day with this GREED!! Even if employees did not receive a bonus, they should have been given an extra day or two for personal time off. VERY SAD!!

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck!!

Use to be a great place, but poor leadership, lack of solid management and bad decisions have demoralized employees.

Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) Morrisville, NC

Pros-Decent benefits (no better or worse than average; although they use to be phenominal)
    -Plenty of time off once you have seniority
    -Great product growth potential for the future (assuming the leadership team does not run everyone off first)

Cons-Very low morale (don't buy into the hype of some of the posts on Glassdoor, talk to people that have been there or are there and you will hear the truth).
    -Unless you are in the club, you will see no or very small raises, bonuses and growth opportunities.
    -20% of the people do 80% of the work and they are generally not the ones getting the credit.
    -Unless you speak Nortelian (Nortel for all others), where you hire in is where you will stay. Very low success rate at lateral moves and even less at upward moves.
    -Extremely heavy workload at times and expectation that you are available days, nights and weekends. Keep in mind this is telecom and the phone never sleeps!
    -Poor leadership at the executive level. The Senior Executive Team have made it abundantly clear they are only concerned with their own good fortune. Although I have heard tell that there are employees getting pay increases and extra effort awards in lieu of bonuses this year, that is only after announcing bonuses would be paid to the "few" key resources and having a near revolt. Do not buy in to it. Any payouts now are to stem the tide of departures and have nothing to do with them "learning a lesson" or out of kindness. The company is private now and the current owners and board will not be tolerant of a mass departure of their intellectual capital.

Advice to Senior ManagementWow... this was a great company to work for and somehow the entire culture that was built, has been nearly destroyed.

1) Reduce the size of your management workforce. I don't mean managers in title, I mean the multitude of Directors, AVP, VP, RVP, Senior VP, etc. This should get the management team closer to the action and provide clearer feedback as to what is actually occuring and what the morale truly is at the ground floor. It will also make those $150,000 + employees "earn" their money by "leading" not just managing.
    2) Get rid of the idea that you will be able to only reward "key resources". While this sounds like a solid plan to make people compete, there is a flaw. There are already numerous cliques within the organization between management and employees. The other employees know this and have seen it year after year on reviews. Only those employees within the cliques will ever see the benefits, which demoralizes others.
    3) Walk the floor and get involved. While this sounds simple, I can tell you that in my final 2 years, on only 3 occassions did my Director or VP come by my office (only to ask a favor or help) and no one from the Senior Executive Team ever graced my doorway during my 8+ year tenure or that of my employees. Its kind of difficult to build trust in your employees (which is a requirement to ensure they will follow unquestioningly) when your only interaction with them is their reading about your millions of $$$, while they have "toughed out" no pay increases for 3+ years and no bonuses for 2.

Positive

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Morrisville, NC

ProsGreat operational management. Close knit team and excellent teamwork

Conssmall company so upward mobility limited

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to the technical teams more :)

Unfulfilling and missed opportunities

Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee) Morrisville, NC

ProsExcellent employee base, as a rule, those who are not managers have an excellent work ethic and are working hard to make the company successful.

ConsIneptitude among Sr. Managers and higher prevents affective forward planning to prevent easily foreseeable negative outcomes from becoming the rule.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate your Nortel resumes, The company has been sold and the ratio of managers to non managers can no longer be supported.

So so...tea leaves say this place might not be around too much longer.

Software Engineer III (Current Employee) Morrisville, NC

Pros23 days of PTO/sick to start.

ConsSales oversells and management lacks.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let sales dictate solutions.

Decent place to work with typical corporate issues

Software Test Engineer (Current Employee) Morrisville, NC

ProsRelaxed work environment with a good work to life balance. Very nice building and lab facilities with good individual coffee makers and a decent cafeteria

Consno feeling of camaraderie between team members. No one ate lunch together so there was very little bonding. People were assigned to projects not based on their skill set but on their connections

Advice to Senior ManagementStop creating complicated products for single customers. do more work to encourage team building and increase employee satisfaction. Spend more time reviewing employees contributions and provide them with feedback

It is a great place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Morrisville, NC

ProsThe company has a good bonus program when one is acheived. The pay and benefits are also very good - some of the best work available.

ConsLack vision in the management levels. Tekelec is turning to third party hardware solutions to become more of a software company. I fear the lack of hardware control and reduced hardware quality and reliability will be detrimental to the customer and to Tekelec in the long run.

Worked for Tekelec? Contribute to the Community!