Tekelec

Updated October 2, 2014
3.7

Tekelec President & CEO Ronald J. de Lange
Ronald J. de Lange

Pros
  • Good work-life balance and family atmosphere (in 3 reviews)

• Good people, quality product, enjoyable atmosphere, good benefits, challenging work (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Tekelec management can't seem to pick a winning strategy and they're basically buying up small company after (in 4 reviews)

• Middle-level managers trade employees every six months or so (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great work environment in a very different type of market than what you're taught in school

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Tekelec full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Learn lots of skills that schools do not usualy offer.

Cons

None as of my current employment

n/a

OK place to work but now under private corporate management causing lots of employee uncertainty

Current Employee - Engineering in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Engineering in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Tekelec full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of great people to work with at Tekelec. Building great products that is leading the mobile broadband telecom industry.

Cons

New private corporate management team is only in it for the money and the company will be sold in a few years. Lots of good people leaving the company because of the culture and compensation changes.

Professional Services

Current Employee - Customer Services Manager in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Services Manager in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Tekelec full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A diverse group of dedicated engineers and technicians. The benefits have been good although are beginning to erode.

Cons

The management methods range from ancient to archaic. If there is any budget for training of middle and lower level managers, I have not detected it. None of the managers that I talked to could name even one of the five functions of management and very few had ever heard of W. Edwards Demming. When I asked one manager about his management philosophy, his response was, "I hate you!" As far as I can tell, even talking about management here is verboten. As a result, managers use oppressive and dysfunctional management methods and can't understand why things are not working.

The demands towards certain employees is that fourteen hours of work a day is not enough. We want more from you. There are plenty of people out there who would work your job.

1. You must find a way to provide a critical mass of products in the 3G/LTE/EPC markets or customers will stop bothering to turn to you.
    2. You must find a way to break through the Nortel management stranglehold or fall.
    3. Convince your customers that you really know 3G/TLE/EPC control and signaling.

Good group of people with acceptable benefits

Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Tekelec full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people and the work are both good. There are opportunities to move around within the company. Vacation benefit is good.

Cons

Benefits have eroded over the last several years (probably standard for the industry but disappointing). Upper management keeps things close to the vest.

Share more information on the difficulties the company faces. Don't put a positive spin on bad news. It would be better to hear bad news and a plan to make it better.

Software Engineer who left before the breakup

Former Employee - Software Engineer IV in Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - Software Engineer IV in Morrisville, NC

I worked at Tekelec full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Telecom salaries, many highly talented people, awesome cafeteria (you don't realize how awesome that is until you don't have one)

Cons

Many poor first-level managers, big company environment, tough to break in to core development, uncertainty

Sell the company as quickly as possible and take the buyouts

Used to be a great company!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

I worked at Tekelec

Pros

Nice, smart people to work with each day!!

Cons

For the executives, who oversaw a round of layoffs in mid-year 2011, the sale meant $4.3 million for CEO Ronald de Lange, $1.8 million for CFO Gregory Rush and $1.6 million for general counsel Stuart Kupinsky. The employees did not receive a bonus for 2011!!! How do the executives even face their employees each day with this GREED!! Even if employees did not receive a bonus, they should have been given an extra day or two for personal time off. VERY SAD!!

Good luck!!

Use to be a great place, but poor leadership, lack of solid management and bad decisions have demoralized employees.

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Morrisville, NC

I worked at Tekelec

Pros

-Decent benefits (no better or worse than average; although they use to be phenominal)
    -Plenty of time off once you have seniority
    -Great product growth potential for the future (assuming the leadership team does not run everyone off first)

Cons

-Very low morale (don't buy into the hype of some of the posts on Glassdoor, talk to people that have been there or are there and you will hear the truth).
    -Unless you are in the club, you will see no or very small raises, bonuses and growth opportunities.
    -20% of the people do 80% of the work and they are generally not the ones getting the credit.
    -Unless you speak Nortelian (Nortel for all others), where you hire in is where you will stay. Very low success rate at lateral moves and even less at upward moves.
    -Extremely heavy workload at times and expectation that you are available days, nights and weekends. Keep in mind this is telecom and the phone never sleeps!
    -Poor leadership at the executive level. The Senior Executive Team have made it abundantly clear they are only concerned with their own good fortune. Although I have heard tell that there are employees getting pay increases and extra effort awards in lieu of bonuses this year, that is only after announcing bonuses would be paid to the "few" key resources and having a near revolt. Do not buy in to it. Any payouts now are to stem the tide of departures and have nothing to do with them "learning a lesson" or out of kindness. The company is private now and the current owners and board will not be tolerant of a mass departure of their intellectual capital.

Wow... this was a great company to work for and somehow the entire culture that was built, has been nearly destroyed.

1) Reduce the size of your management workforce. I don't mean managers in title, I mean the multitude of Directors, AVP, VP, RVP, Senior VP, etc. This should get the management team closer to the action and provide clearer feedback as to what is actually occuring and what the morale truly is at the ground floor. It will also make those $150,000 + employees "earn" their money by "leading" not just managing.
    2) Get rid of the idea that you will be able to only reward "key resources". While this sounds like a solid plan to make people compete, there is a flaw. There are already numerous cliques within the organization between management and employees. The other employees know this and have seen it year after year on reviews. Only those employees within the cliques will ever see the benefits, which demoralizes others.
    3) Walk the floor and get involved. While this sounds simple, I can tell you that in my final 2 years, on only 3 occassions did my Director or VP come by my office (only to ask a favor or help) and no one from the Senior Executive Team ever graced my doorway during my 8+ year tenure or that of my employees. Its kind of difficult to build trust in your employees (which is a requirement to ensure they will follow unquestioningly) when your only interaction with them is their reading about your millions of $$$, while they have "toughed out" no pay increases for 3+ years and no bonuses for 2.

Good benefit

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at Tekelec

Pros

Good benefit. Nice working environment. Offered stock options, ESPP, bonus.

Cons

Narrow growth path if you are looking for fast career development with more challenges.

revitalize innovation as it used to have.

Positive

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Tekelec

Pros

Great operational management. Close knit team and excellent teamwork

Cons

small company so upward mobility limited

listen to the technical teams more :)

Unfulfilling and missed opportunities

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Morrisville, NC

I worked at Tekelec

Pros

Excellent employee base, as a rule, those who are not managers have an excellent work ethic and are working hard to make the company successful.

Cons

Ineptitude among Sr. Managers and higher prevents affective forward planning to prevent easily foreseeable negative outcomes from becoming the rule.

Update your Nortel resumes, The company has been sold and the ratio of managers to non managers can no longer be supported.