Tektronix Reviews

Updated April 23, 2015
132 reviews filtered by

Great atmosphere with very nice people.

Current Employee - Engineer in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Engineer in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Tektronix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very lean oriented
    Great people
    Welcoming atmosphere
    Interesting and diverse products
    On campus sports facilities and recreation

Cons

Market for most products isn't growing
    large Layoffs have happened in the last year and it looks like more could be coming
    the engineers left after the last layoff are stretch very thin
    the workforce here is older than other places i have worked

Advice to Management

Management has trouble putting the resources they know they will need in place until they are at or past scheduled deadlines.

Would not recommend working here

I have been working at Tektronix

Pros

benefits are decent. pay can be good.

Cons

Poor employee morale due to overworked employees, which is the norm for Danaher-owned companies. Mandatory surprise pay reductions in 2013 for all employees due to financial shortcomings - implemented by Amir Aghdaei. Upper management is overly demanding and non-responsive to lower management needs. Suspect Danaher will sell this business soon.

Advice to Management

stop working in a short-sighted mode. Invest in improvements, not just the next quarter financials.

3. Good place to work buy I hope it changes

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Tektronix full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of freedom and support. Generally very good products but long on the tooth.

Cons

Was getting more and more cost driven with little evidence of passion and innovation.

Advice to Management

Release the purse strings, put more money into R&Dnbut much more importantly make it fun to be an employee and contributor.

Great people, not a lot of growth opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Tektronix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoy the work I'm doing and feel like I am able to make a significant contribution to my team and, ultimately, the bottom-line / profitability of the company.

Cons

There isn't a lot of opportunity to grow either personally or professionally. Management seems to always be more worried about "hitting numbers" than developing the workforce. Succession planning appears to be non-existent.

Advice to Management

Throw a box of donuts or a t-shirt to your employees every now and then... we all know we're getting pitiful raises each year and year-in/year-out we continue to do more with less and it gets old.

6. Calibration Technician

Current Employee - Calibration Technician in Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Calibration Technician in Duluth, GA

I have been working at Tektronix full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Competitive pay and excellent benefits. Multiple disciplines within the field if you have the experience to take advantage of them. On most cases they will provide the appropriate tools for your work.

Cons

No training. No cross training within disciplines for the technicians with less experience. They promise unrealistic turnaround time to customers. For labs with limited equipment, there is no adequate support from the auxiliary labs.

Advice to Management

Train personnel on both current and changing systems before its implementation. Promise realistic goals to the customers. “on the job training” can only get you so far.

Lots of responsibilities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Tektronix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Small teams, smart people to work with. Large corporation benefits. Great tools to work with. Starbucks is on campus. Management listens to and takes care of employees. Some people have been here for over 30 years. Because teams are so small, it's easy to find challenges and not be pigeon-holed like other big companies that may start with an i.

Cons

No stock options, large corporation (Danaher Corp). Not as nimble. Cafeteria could be deleted and it would taste better. The company is located in Beaverton, and it could be deleted too and Oregon would be nicer.

8. It's a decent place to work with good benefits and competitive wages

I worked at Tektronix full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Overall the atmosphere at Tektronix is very good. In general people care about the work that they do and are willing to work together to achieve a common goal. For engineering there are opportunities to work on the "bleeding edge" of electronic technology and for other disciplines such and Marketing and Manufacturing Tektronix strives to stay current with the latest methods and technologies. You can learn a lot at this company.

Cons

Since the Danaher acquisition the focus has been on the bottom line which has forced Tektronix to reduce costs in all aspects of the company including employee levels, travel expenses, project delays, sales support, etc. Efficiency is important, but generally employees are required to do more with fewer resources.

9. Great entry level experience

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Lexington, MA

I worked at Tektronix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay, training, performance management, orientation, diversity of duties

Cons

Somewhat hierarchical slowed down the decision-making process

10. Pros outweigh Cons

Current Employee - Finance
    Current Employee - Finance

I have been working at Tektronix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's always super fun stuff going on! The company acutally puts a lot of resources into making sure their employees are happy. There's little parties, potlucks and tournaments going on all the time. Seems like there is always a treat around for us. My work scheduled is flexible.. I can arrive any time between 6 & 9 and leave after I put my 8 hrs in. Lunch can be a half hour or a whole hour. Time off requests are always considered. There's a Starbucks on campus, and a great cafeteria. Like, a GREAT cafeteria. There is also a track, a volley ball court, a soccer field and a discounted gym. Close to everything.

Cons

The cons of this company... well, it's been tough to get hired on within my field. Like others have said, the company is not doing as well as it used to and money is tighter.

Advice to Management

Cut the expensive agencies and hire more people on.

11. I worked at Tektronix

Pros

None. Low pay. Poor structure from corporate heads on down.

Cons

Do you have a life? Too bad. They will never care and you can never do enough to make them happy.

Advice to Management

Start finding out how to value your employees instead of growing your Empire by acquisition of all your competitors. And by the way, good people have left like flies!