Tektronix Reviews

Updated August 13, 2014
Updated August 13, 2014
2.8

Amir Aghdaei

Pros
  • Work life balance- not by design but by collective ignorance (in 7 reviews)

• Good pay and benefits, not a sweatshop (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Very little investment in R&D with a yearly layoff (in 5 reviews)

• Little to no staff development and growth opportunity (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Possibilities

Current Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Tektronix full-time for less than a year

Pros

People are great, campus is wonderful, work-life balance works well and there are very smart people

Cons

No design center, marketing designs products, no customer feedback loop. Some RIP

Build a design center with an actual design vision and focus.

Great Coworkers and Challenging Work

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Tektronix

Pros

Tektronix has an amazing amount of engineering depth. There are people who are world renowned experts in their area sitting in the cube down the hall. My coworkers are friendly, supportive and encouraging.

Cons

Danaher and senior Tektronix management doesn't seem to understand that Tektronix designs & builds technology for technologists. Danaher is all about creating efficiency, not about creating technology. Vision about technology is sorely lacking in senior management. Tek needs a technologist with vision to lead the company. Sadly the right people for the job have either left on their own or have been let go because they don’t easily fit into the Danaher mold. That doesn’t bode well for Tektronix maintaining market leadership.

bad, poorly managed

Former Employee - Senior Engineer  in  Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Tektronix

Pros

good co-workers and technology, great location

Cons

poor management and vision, too many meetings, not enough R&D investment

stop looking out for yourselves and pay attention to managing

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Most of the time I spent at Tek was enjoyable, challenging environment, great people.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Tektronix

Pros

- Great set of people
    - Challenging problems
    - People eager to help out others
    - Flexible work conditions
    - Good practices brought in b y Danaher

Cons

- Innovation is somewhat stifled after the Danaher acquisition
    - Lack of recognition for managers and above
    - Seems to be all about turning the crank these days

Allow innovation to run it's course, bring back some of the spirit of Tektronix. Recognize good people for the contributions they make. Create a less political environment.

An amazing deep dive into high tech

Current Employee - Principal Engineer  in  Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Tektronix

Pros

Tektronix' glory days of the late 20th century have waned, but in spite of its corporate takeover and loss of original vision by its founders, the DNA of the company continues on. The individual contributors working here in the form of amazing engineers are still some of the smartest people on the planet.

While the problems Tektronix focuses on are miniature (by definition - electronic instruments focus on the very small), the technology is nothing short of amazing.

Cons

Tektronix management, starting at the very top with its current and most recent President, are driven by Danaher financial and manufacturing mentalities. This form of corporate management works well in reducing "waste." It is not nearly as effective in creating the future. R&D operations are substantially more costly and "wasteful" than manufacturing.

In spite of Danaher's "DBS" (modeled on Toyota's approaches) promotion of the company as a "learning organism," Tektronix has been eviscerated since the take-over in the name of cost cutting and the bad economy.

Pruning and cost cutting may be a necessary evil in today's environment, but the specific choices Tektronix has made to meet Danaher's goals speaks to the current state of mis-management. For example, when the current trend in almost every corporation around the world is to increase design thinking, Tektronix (and many of Danaher's other operating companies) have laid off entire departments of designers - mostly because they don't know what to do with them or where to "put" them.

Top-line growth does not happen without radical thinkers and innovators. Take a look at successful companies across all industry segments and note: breakthroughs come from cross-functional teams of highly gifted individuals with divergent modes of thinking. Your "innovation council" is heavily weighted to engineering and manufacturing - get your creatives on that thing to quickly spin up the engine of innovation into a semblance of the powerhouse it once was.

antiquated technology, low growth operation

Current Employee - Engineering Manager  in  Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Tektronix

Pros

+ proximity to dining options & movie theater
    + learn about kaizens
    + one end of campus (near Nike & Comcast) is well cared for
    + after hours fight club

Cons

- leadership pipleine blocked up with middle managers lacking panache, foresight & market insight
    - executives are trying to drive growth with dull tools
    - outdated technology tools and underfunded R&D limit organic growth
    - low-quality benefits & perks for employees so Tek is unable to attract/retain top technical talent
    - too isolated from real-world

- Design tools: uninspired product portfolio --- listen to customers & stop developing test gear for Tek engineers;
    business needs to develop a revolutionary position on electronic test & execute

- SSO: sensible choice to form a services division, hope SSO does something besides equipment calibration, field maintenance, and leasing

- CSO: decades of under-investment have resulted in an undifferentiated market position and reliance on 2-3 customers; CEO ignoring this atrophied arm which has become non-strategic for Tek; need to replace execs who have failed to position company for growth; need to acquire some leading components/technology companies in 2011 to feed the instrument business

- Other: need to add custom test set development at Tek & Keithley for growth and to appease strategic customers!

RUN! This is NOT a good place to work if you intend to have any kind of life outside of the job

Former Employee - Program Manager  in  Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Plano, TX

I worked at Tektronix

Pros

Good pay level, good location. Fairly modern technology. That is all I can think of at the moment, and that is thinking hard.

Cons

I had the worst time of my career working there. The Tektronix Communications group located in Texas is the result of a badly executed acquisition. Their product is poorly supported and way overpriced, so the few customers left are very unhappy. Management wants you to spend days, nights and weekends working, they call it a "high performing team". PM turover is huge. AVOID! If I had known what I know now I would have taken another job for a few dollars less easily and avoid the terrible experiece.

Notice how many valuable people you are loosing, how can that be good for the company?

Old and New culture hard to mingle

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II  in  Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Tektronix

Pros

good pay. Easy work, you were stereotyped into your job and there was no way out. If you did a job good there was no hope for moving up.

Cons

Too many primadonna's riding the shirt tail of their old manager protecting them for their ignorance.

ride the wave

Nice place to work

Former Employee - Production Planner  in  Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Production Planner in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Tektronix

Pros

Flexible, great work environment, decent pay

Cons

New ownership providing challenges, very senior workforce limiting advancement

Be open to new ideas and keep a open mind. Business needs and challenges evolve over time. Listen to the people they are in the trenches eveyday

Work Life at Tektronix

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at Tektronix

Pros

Tektronix is a very diverse company. From my experience, senior management was very respective and supportive of the employees. My co-workers, overall, were more than willing to participate in knowledge and resource sharing. Often going out of their way to help others be successful. Tektronix has a great name in the industry and that makes doing the job easier.

Cons

Tektronix could sometimes find itself playing catch up to bring needed technology to market. While they were always aware of what was needed, we sometimes were competing for business where we did not have the expected soultion (although, we could always make a solution happen - that is the fun of the job).

I would like to see more diveristy in upper management.

Worked for Tektronix? Contribute to the Community!