Tektronix Reviews

Updated October 15, 2014
Updated October 15, 2014
2.9

Amir Aghdaei

Pros
  • Work life balance- not by design but by collective ignorance (in 8 reviews)

• On the plus side Tek has a nice campus, with a new exercise building and turf soccer field (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Very little investment in R&D with a yearly layoff (in 5 reviews)

• Little to no staff development and growth opportunity (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Ups and downs

Current Employee - Senior Calibration Technician
    Current Employee - Senior Calibration Technician

I have been working at Tektronix full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

At my location flexibility in work schedule has been a great advantage. I set my own pace for my work and so long as my work is completed on time I am allowed to work at my pace.

Cons

Limited increases in pay. Limited advancement opportunity or growth within the company. Little to no support from management.

Having second thoughts.

Current Employee - International Customer Service Representative II in Boston, MA

I have been working at Tektronix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Large company with decent benefits including major medical, dental, vision and corporate discounts.

Cons

High expectations with not enough resources. Poor overall corporate organization. Company has "acquired" many of its competitors for better or worse.

Many employees are looking for some work life balance and when overlooked by management leads to poor morale.

Dangerous Management

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Tektronix full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Challenging environment with ability to take on more responsibility

Cons

Poor leadership and no innovation

Invest in IT innovation

More cuts are coming

Current Employee - Product Marketing Engineer in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Engineer in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Tektronix full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are a lot of good people

Cons

Its not if, its when you will get cut

quit losing market share

Once a great company to work, now average

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Tektronix full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Most employees are top rate in their professions, the caliber of people, the complexity of the work, and business processes make it a stimulating place to work.

Cons

The finance side of the business and Danaher business practices drive the business TOTALLY. Over the years as a manager I lost ability to control my own budget, invest in or sufficiently develop my employees, or to be informed adequately about the business performance and management actions.

Walk the floor, get out and about, be seen. Look up from the spreadsheets. Losing market share to the competition is because your strategy for managing the product portfolio and employees has been poorly executed and is unsustainable.

A once great company ruined by being acquired by a company that did not understand the core competency.

Former Employee - Engineering - Development in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Engineering - Development in Portland, OR

I worked at Tektronix full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very few companies could attract the talent that Tektronix has had over the years.

Cons

Danaher never understood that the real gem in the crown of Tektronix was the amazing engineering prowess it had and the innovation it was capable of. Basically they refocused resources from engineering and innovation towards manufacturing, distribution and inventory efficiencies(not that these are bad, just not the traditional Tektronix value add). Unfortunately what customers wanted from Tektronix was the best, leading edge technology, not a product that was 10% cheaper to assemble in China and middle of the road software from new places that were coming up to speed on the special software needs of leading edge hardware like Tek products required. For years I watched top talent steered away from technology development and into efficiency gains and manufacturing optimization and training new engineers from other countries. All this for products that were often high dollar, low volume type products.... Clearly Danaher never understood what Tektronix customers were buying when they purchased the Tek brand. Now they are so far behind, and the Danaher money is gone - misspent - one wonders how they could ever come back without major new investment to rebuild the engineering resources that were squandered... Or perhaps they could take on a new role in their industry as more of a commodity player instead of a technological leader.... Either way, I don't think Danaher's investment here will ever pay off and a rare and once great technology and innovation giant is gone.

The current CEO, Amir Aghdaei is very nice to know personally, however most of his managers were afraid to tell him what needed to be said. His personal style is to require his direct reports to get on board quickly with the direction he wants to go in. If you didn't there could be serious questions about your commitment to the organization.... He has an amazing confidence in himself which is a plus sometimes, but to balance that a world class CEO needs to be willing create a culture around him that welcomes and encourages many viewpoints and to be in the habit of really listening - understanding. I respectfully submit that Amir places his own opinions too high in the values of opinions in a room, even in areas where some around him have a much larger pool to draw from... This prevents him from really having the best information to work from and after teaching those around him the price for "not being on board" is to put your career at risk... well you can see how this leaves him def and blind in the long run. Smart guy - but limited by self confidence. I feel bad that a 65+ year old company needs to pay the price for one relatively new guys shortcomings, but that is how the world works...

Possibilities

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Tektronix full-time (less than an year)

Pros

People are great, campus is wonderful, work-life balance works well and there are very smart people

Cons

No design center, marketing designs products, no customer feedback loop. Some RIP

Build a design center with an actual design vision and focus.

Great Coworkers and Challenging Work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Tektronix

Pros

Tektronix has an amazing amount of engineering depth. There are people who are world renowned experts in their area sitting in the cube down the hall. My coworkers are friendly, supportive and encouraging.

Cons

Danaher and senior Tektronix management doesn't seem to understand that Tektronix designs & builds technology for technologists. Danaher is all about creating efficiency, not about creating technology. Vision about technology is sorely lacking in senior management. Tek needs a technologist with vision to lead the company. Sadly the right people for the job have either left on their own or have been let go because they don’t easily fit into the Danaher mold. That doesn’t bode well for Tektronix maintaining market leadership.

bad, poorly managed

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Tektronix

Pros

good co-workers and technology, great location

Cons

poor management and vision, too many meetings, not enough R&D investment

stop looking out for yourselves and pay attention to managing

Most of the time I spent at Tek was enjoyable, challenging environment, great people.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Tektronix

Pros

- Great set of people
    - Challenging problems
    - People eager to help out others
    - Flexible work conditions
    - Good practices brought in b y Danaher

Cons

- Innovation is somewhat stifled after the Danaher acquisition
    - Lack of recognition for managers and above
    - Seems to be all about turning the crank these days

Allow innovation to run it's course, bring back some of the spirit of Tektronix. Recognize good people for the contributions they make. Create a less political environment.