Telcordia

Telcordia Reviews

Updated Mar 4, 2014

Telcordia President, CEO and Director Mark T. Greenquist

Mark T. Greenquist

Pros:
  • "Bell Labs history provides for a very collegial, team-oriented work environment"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Lots of responsibility and a place to grow ideas, positive change and direction"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "The C-Level management has not for the last several years delivered very small pay raises and bonuses to all of their employees"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Terrible compensation, limited opportunities for career advancement"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Slowly improving

Senior Research Scientist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Telcordia

ProsSmart, capable employees with a broad range of skills.
Good opportunities for continuous learning.

ConsPoor business development and business capture capabilities (in research org)
Research organization is poorly integrated with commercial SW organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed a strong R&D org to support commercial side of Telcordia instead of a R&D org that simply pursues the "opportunity du jour" available from gov't funding sources.

Research lab works likes consultancy

Senior Research Scientist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Telcordia

Prosjob pressure is not high. Research work can be interesting, even though projects tend to be the same over the years.

ConsResearch lab funding is mainly channeled from the outside. have to spend significant overhead to write proposals to secure funding through government or commercial projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe owners of the company are investment management companies are being greedy. At this economy climate. it is unrealistic to demand the profit target of the company to increase year after year.

Telcordia - a huge Bell System Legacy - slowly on the decline

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Telcordia

ProsA good deal of maturity around process and delivery management.

ConsTendency to hang on to the old habits as a legacy system, owned y the RBOCS. Very little encouragment given to new, creative ideas and enterprenership. Old boys network continues to prevail.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease try to stay current with the market and reward employees based on performace, not based on internal networks. Particulalrly when it is time to down-size and lay-off people - please do not let people go that have worked hard, just to keep your own buddies around.

Good place to work but no job stability

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Telcordia

Prosgreat place to work. management very supportive. teamwork is outstanding - everyone works together. there is no "level" consciousness - everyone works together as equals.

Consthere is no job security even after more than 15 years on the job. the downsizing never seems to end.

Advice to Senior Managementthey are cutting too many people and making it very difficult for the remaining people to keep up and handle the work. the stress level on the remaining employees is very high due to the heavy work load and the lack of job security.

No Entry Level Positions Here

Programmer Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Telcordia

ProsTelcordia is a really good place to work if you live in or around Piscataway, They give you challenging projects so you end up learning alot

ConsVery, Very Poor Communication (Nobody says whats really going on)
They expect entry level people to not make mistakes
If your young you will find it hard to make friends because this is a very old company

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate Better

Great place for me, base on quality of life issues

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Telcordia

ProsVery flexible work environment. I was very pleased with the local management (1 and 2 levels above me). Good benefits plan.

ConsCompany has been downsizing for the last decade, so there is not job security. Bear this in mind when applying.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter respect to employees. Stop all the layoffs.

Stay Away - You have been warned.

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Telcordia

ProsFlexible work environment. was the place to be prior to the year 2000. Skilled people and engineers. Flexible to taking further education courses.

ConsManagement Galore. I mean there are 10 levels of managers from CEO to the guy actually doing the work. Big on "old boys network". It's not what you know, but who you know. Laid off over 6000 people between 2001 and 2009 (nearly 75%). Very little to no raises or bonuses for the last 9 years. All management will team up and force adjust working members to meet numbers rather than being innovating.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease retire so that competent people can run the business.
Also, do not assign 10 managers and one worker to a project.

Telcordia Glory a thing of the past - not a place to work anymore

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Telcordia

ProsThe technology that was developed in the past two decades was ahead of it's times and some good talent still remains.

ConsThrough years of lay-offs most people left behind in senior management levels are the "dead-wood" - largely around since they are part of the "old boys network". It is no longer what you know, it is who you know. Major discriminationt takes place based on perosnal biases. The company is therefore no longer growing or being profitbale.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop lying to the CEO and the Board, just to save your jobs and to get good bonuses. And stop cutting good people to save your friend's jobs, even when they have no knowledge or ability that the ob requires, and thus you need 3 managers doing the job of one..

"Pay for performance" is a joke

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Telcordia

ProsSmart people, decent work environment, resonable benefits, flexible work hours, telecommuting friendly.

ConsPay way below market, raises and bonuses practically non-existent for several years now. Levels of pay, raises and promotions do not follow performance reviews

Advice to Senior ManagementNA

Best people to work with, not a good company to work for.

Senior Scientist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Telcordia

ProsApplied Research has the best, brightest, and most energetic scientists who solve real world, hard problems.

ConsFrom a compensation perspective, Telcordia is not a good place to work. The C-Level management has not for the last several years delivered very small pay raises and bonuses to all of their employees. Note that this comment is coming from someone who has received outstanding performance reviews over the last several years.

Advice to Senior ManagementMatch the performance of your Applied Research employees with commensurate pay provide by other corporations. Given the large amount of US government business, Telcordia is falling behind in its pay to employees compared to its competitors and it will soon suffer the consequences in terms of industry reputation and employee recruitment.

Worked for Telcordia? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Telcordia reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Telcordia CEO Mark T. Greenquist. All 64 reviews posted anonymously by Telcordia employees.