www.telcordia.com

Updated January 6, 2015
3.3

Telcordia President, CEO and Director Mark T. Greenquist
Mark T. Greenquist

Pros
  • Bell Labs history provides for a very collegial, team-oriented work environment (in 7 reviews)

• Lots of responsibility and a place to grow ideas, positive change and direction (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The C-Level management has not for the last several years delivered very small pay raises and bonuses to all of their employees (in 4 reviews)

• Career advancement and opportunity are limited since the company is going downhill and constantly downsizing (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Its a better company that worked.

I worked at Telcordia

Pros

Its a good company to work, many training to do and there is so many opportunists in the world

Cons

PL payment is not good

An excellent company in its day... but that day ended when it was acquired.

Former Employee - Software Applications Developer
    Former Employee - Software Applications Developer

I worked at Telcordia full-time

Pros

You had to be good to work at Telcordia, which was Bellcore back when I started. There was a very high bar for the quality of deliverables, and the software development process earned a Capability Maturity Model (CMM) rating of "5", the highest available. Telcordia/Bellcore had usability well-integrated into the process, and all of the products that I worked on were designed in full by the usability team. My colleagues, were bright and well-skilled. We had annual performance reviews, and our raises and bonuses were tied to our performance. We received both every year. Very good benefits, vacation time, and sick time...back in the heyday.

Cons

Sadly, Telcordia was acquired by SAIC, which raided the pension and proceeded to lay off entire departments in continuous waves. SAIC was eventually bought out by Ericsson. I was lucky, I got out when things were tanking in 2001. According to my friends who stayed, quality, salary, and morale have steadily declined. Really, the company, and it's cadre of exceptional Bell Labs engineers, designers, and scientists, was destroyed. A true waste of talent.

Management got laid off with everyone else. This review was for Telcordia, which does not exist anymore.

Highs and lows through the years

Former Employee - Various in Piscataway, NJ
    Former Employee - Various in Piscataway, NJ

I worked at Telcordia full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Newer projects or high priority items were great to ok if you were involved. Many smart and experienced people to work with.

Cons

In non-growth areas, work environment was difficult. Also, no tech advancement as no projects were started only once funded.

Focus on growth and new products.

Uncertain and pessimistic - Telcordia ATS had the top talented people but led to pessimistic direction

I worked at Telcordia full-time

Pros

The works are exciting, cutting edge and challenging. Most of the projects are at least five years ahead of the time. Had the privilege to work with a group of best in the corresponding areas. Work and life balance is great and the working hour flexibility is excellent. If you can, you will definitely get exposed to so many in-depth technologies, rather than narrowly focus on a thing or two. The true value working here is that you get to work with some of the brightest minds in the areas.

Cons

The company gave up on innovation and failed to capitalize the great assets it has accumulated for many years. Top management did not really find a right way to lead the company out of the fast-changing and competitive environment. Directions from the top management are next to zero, if there is any. Compensation was terrible. Career advancement and opportunity are limited since the company is going downhill and constantly downsizing.

Care more than the balance sheet and get some real leadership and management works done.

Telcordia Acquired by Ericsson

I worked at Telcordia full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company was on the leading edge of telecommunications work, including providing generic requirements and testing/consulting services for NEBS, optical fiber, reliability and quality, network architecture and operations, so the work was diverse and interesting. Employees had extensive expertise and knowledge to support product design, implementation, and interoperability testing across both legacy and next-generation network technologies. The physical environment was comfortable, and the benefits package very good.

Cons

The acquisition of Telcordia by Ericsson was finalized in January 2012. With that, the focus shifted away from many of the Telcordia legacy products. Priorities and goals changed, and the commitment to quality in some areas decreased significantly.

good experience

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Piscataway, NJ

I worked at Telcordia as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

flexible hours and work from home

Cons

being a contractor it was little tough to deal with employees

make the contractor to hire permanent.

Very good

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Piscataway, NJ

I worked at Telcordia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

benefits is good .. balance between work/life

Cons

a bit slow in adopting new technology

Wonderful...I have the greatest memories of my time at Telcordia

Former Employee - Desktop Support in Piscataway, NJ
    Former Employee - Desktop Support in Piscataway, NJ

I worked at Telcordia full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great company with cutting edge technology

Cons

pay very low and constant layoffs/downsizing

None

Horrible, stuffy work environment, non caring management, the list goes on...

Current Employee - Rather Not Saw in Piscataway, NJ
    Current Employee - Rather Not Saw in Piscataway, NJ

I have been working at Telcordia as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

was a decent commute...struggled to come up with anything good.

Cons

most employees and the overall atmosphere is pretty stuffy, and most management and HR possessed a very know it all attitude. People in higher positions acted like they were better than other employees. HR was a mess. there was absolutely zero director or guidance provided. management would look for reasons to terminate employees to bring on their own people. overall, there were a lot of people that were in positions of somewhat importance that had no business being in those positions. My boss who was there around 25+ years had a breakdown after me being there around 4 months and she just left, and was replaced by someone who didn't have any experience in our field...

company is Ericcson now, not sure what it is like there. hopefull there has been some improvement.

Telcordia ATS had some of the smartest engineers in the business

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Piscataway, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Piscataway, NJ

I worked at Telcordia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working with the best in the business

Cons

ATS was almost totally dependent on government projects

Anticipate contract expirations.