TeleCommunication Systems

www.telecomsys.com

TeleCommunication Systems Reviews in Annapolis, MD

TeleCommunication Systems Chairman, President, and CEO Maurice B. Tosé

Maurice B. Tosé

Pros
  • The good people get promoted and the poor people get gone(in 10 reviews)

• Good people, decent pay, good benefits(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a very large technical debt in the product due to a large legacy codebase, and upper management is not committed to paying down that debt(in 9 reviews)

• Office in Georgia played favorites, and there was not a good atmosphere between management and employees(in 3 reviews)

4 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great coworkers, shortsighted and disheartening management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Annapolis, MD

ProsI really enjoyed the people I worked with directly, and some of the projects were challenging and enlightening. The benefits are really great.

ConsThis is supposed to be a tech company, however, they don't spend any money on the actual technology to make working there better. For instance, they give us terrible, outdated, under-powered computers. They give the employee's the absolute minimum of whatever an employee needs.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the "good ol' boys club" running this ship into the ground... I realize one might think that only disgruntled employees leave feedback here and think they should take the advice lightly. You can do that if you want, and any feedback is, well... feedback.

Maybe think about trimming the fat where it actually needs to be trimmed, instead of thinking you might owe somebody for making the company what it is. Many of the people laid off in the most recent cuts (Nov. 2013), could have kept their jobs, and were owed just as much for making the company what it is than some of the folks still sitting pretty, getting big checks at the end of the year. Actually many of those folks would still be there if the fat that'd been trimmed would have been from the top.Also, many of the current and former employee's I've spoken with believe the Captain and the Good ol' Boy's at the top are old enough to retire, and are riding this ship as far as they can before jumping off onto their sweet little (or shall we say large) lifeboats. While the rest of us go down with the ship.

At least that's what it looks like from down here.

Great Co-workers!! Awful, Awful C-level management.

Manager (Former Employee) Annapolis, MD

ProsI'm sorry but I don't think there are any pros and I worked at TCS for 5 years and 55% of the employees are hard working and smart professionals. But the remaining 45% don't work hard, take credit for the work the hard working employees do and they get all the credit and bonuses!!

ConsNo 401K they took that away!! No incentives whatsoever for employees!! Ok so you give the employees free soda and coffee!! C-level and senior VP level Management is horrible!!

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees!! You hired us for our expertise and experience, but you never listen!!

Dysfunctional Sales Management - Government Solutions Group (GSG)

Federal Account Manager (Former Employee) Annapolis, MD

ProsThe Business Development Support Group (BDSG) is a top notch professional proposal management organization. They make getting a proposal out the door run very smoothly. Non GSG organizations have some well respected products and services out in the marketplace.

ConsThere are many Cons to working here. First, the job title and plan are for a sales person when in actuality the job is Business Development. Starting out at TCS you will live on your base salary from Day 1, you can receive a recoverable draw but I don't know of anyone actually receiving commissions so the draw will need to be paid back. The commission structure is such that you get no commissions until you are over 25% of your yearly number so your initial sales are completely commission free. It isn't until you exceed 75% of the yearly number that you receive 100% commission. Oh and you only receive commissions quarterly and that is 2 months after the quarter in question. Turnover: People either leave or are asked leave typically one year or so after hiring on. Sales people leave because they aren't making any money or you are asked to leave because of a lack of sales. In large part the company doesn't want to make an investment in an individual to actually penetrate an account. When I was asked to leave in just under a year my boss, boss's boss and all 3 peers in my department the day I started at the company were already gone, I was next in line. This systematic approach also prevents them from ever paying commissions. Management: I met the CEO of this 1400 person company once at the company holiday party and he never held one "all hands" meeting of any sort. The President of GSG reports quarterly on the numbers but never demonstrates any leadership or personal qualities to the group. He governs with an iron fist and his management style is to manage to the opportunities loaded into SFDC.com. Up until recently there were internal meetings every day, about 6 weeks ago a new 9-4 rule went into affect so now all internal meetings take place before 9 or after 4. There are now daily meetings at 7:45am or 5:30pm just to cover all the internal meetings. Minimum of 10 hour days are typical. In addition, the culture is very DOD - military-centric. The CEO is a NAVY grad and the President of GSG is a West Point grad. There is an inner circle of male managers that are protected from everything, women are either spoken about or their opinions are disregarded.

Advice to Senior ManagementHR needs to really understand what's going on and fix the problem of the internal treatment of employees. TCS needs to alter their current management structure so that there is one sales force selling all TCS products and services. The divisions have their own P&L and often leads to poor management decisions because they don't necessarily do what's right for the customer if it means involving another division. Cross train all employees to be fluent in all that TCS has to offer.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Take care of employe base on real performance, not race and personal relationship

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Annapolis, MD

ProsBenefit ( 401k matching, ESPP, good Health Insurance, Flexable time, even free soda)
    Compsation is acceptable.

ConsCareer advancement are non existing for some employees. ( in particular, minority)

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of the good employees, and they will take care of the company!!
    Too many long timer employee get into a comfort zone with high salary and low performance, while a lot of others with much lower paid but performed much better.

Worked for TeleCommunication Systems? Contribute to the Community!