TeleCommunication Systems Reviews

Reset
2.2
TeleCommunication Systems Chairman, President, and CEO Maurice B. Tosé
Maurice B. Tosé

Pros
  • Good people, decent pay, good benefits (in 10 reviews)

• flexible hours, good benefits, friendly people, growing company, seldom layoff (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of total direction and structure from upper management (in 10 reviews)

• Senior management does not care about staff (in 4 reviews)

1. Good company with growing pains

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Annapolis, MD

I have been working at TeleCommunication Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Management cares. Flexible telecommuting.

Cons

Benefits lacking. Forced vacation use.

Advice to Management

Add benefits that employees care about.

Avoid It Like the Black Death

Former Employee - Business Development/Capture Manager in Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - Business Development/Capture Manager in Annapolis, MD

I worked at TeleCommunication Systems (Less than a year)

Pros

Its relatively easy to get hired. The interviews are easy. But this can hurt you because the management is not discerning as to whether you can succeed in this culture. At least they tell you up front that you may be fired, but don't tell you that It may before they have given you the three month probationary period to assimilate into the company.

Cons

Employees are abused by management who have an extreme micro management mentality. Business development and even Capture Management are treated like Sales and expected to participate in daily sales conference calls. Senior management has no comprehension of the partnering and opportunity management required for long term non-transactional revenue generation. Horrible culture - existing employees place bets new employees not lasting and treat you like they are hazing you - which they are.

Advice to Management

If you want to be in the federal market - be in the federal market place - open a sales off in the Washington, D.C. area. You won't be successful from your headquarters in Annapolis, Maryland. Stop micro-managing and change your culture to value your human resources.

Disgusting place to work stay away

Current Employee - Information Technology in Annapolis, MD
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Annapolis, MD

I have been working at TeleCommunication Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Health insurance is fairly decent, the co workers are genuine down the earth people who work hard everyday.

Cons

Poor management especially Zarina and Tiante they lie to impress upper management with unrealistic ticket quotas and obsolete technology.

Advice to Management

Start listing to your employees read the bad reviews. We're trying to relay insight to improve the company.

Had been and could be a wonderful place to work...

I worked at TeleCommunication Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most of the staff are wonderful people to work with. The products and services are interesting and important so you can feel good about the company.

Cons

Lack of leadership, vision and stability. Too much infighting and competition among the departments and when combined with the lack of leadership the result is the 'tail wagging the dog.' Also, many decisions made and new policies created over the past couple of years show a complete lack of concern for the lower level employees who actually do 80% of the work yet protect and boost the executives.

Advice to Management

Start holding the executives (and VP's) accountable, do not continue to reward lack of performance and take better care of the workers who keep the execs in their positions.

6. High-turnover. Great until management got greedy. GSG is a very poor environment to work in due to the current mgmt.

I worked at TeleCommunication Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

First few years were great - good co-workers, good pay, commissions, fast promotions, then it all changed for the worse. The best thing that TCS still has going is the GSG BD/proposal team.

Cons

Two years into my tenure, management got greedy, fired the VP of Sales, capped commissions, cut benefits, and started layoffs. Management does not care about employees or even the investors, just about maximizing their own bonuses at all costs. One year, the CEO gave himself a 55% raise the very day after he fired 100 people.

Advice to Management

Your business depends on your employees. Take care of them and they'll take care of you.

Tough place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Annapolis, MD

I have been working at TeleCommunication Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

some of the co-workers are very nice

Cons

Company is struggling financially with no real path to success Management is unreasonable. Many of the co-workers are sub-par in part because anybody that can would leave.

Great Employees, Poor Management

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Annapolis, MD
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Annapolis, MD

I have been working at TeleCommunication Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My co-workers were brilliant. Absolutely amazingly knowledgable people. I couldn't be happier with how I advanced learning from my co-workers, and even they are getting out fast.

Cons

Upper management has no organizational skills, and no clue how to obtain them.

Advice to Management

Make your employees happy, and they will want to work harder for you. The managerial system you have in place doesn't work. At all.

Great Co-workers!! Awful, Awful C-level management.

Former Employee - Manager in Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - Manager in Annapolis, MD

I worked at TeleCommunication Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I'm sorry but I don't think there are any pros and I worked at TCS for 5 years and 55% of the employees are hard working and smart professionals. But the remaining 45% don't work hard, take credit for the work the hard working employees do and they get all the credit and bonuses!!

Cons

No 401K they took that away!! No incentives whatsoever for employees!! Ok so you give the employees free soda and coffee!! C-level and senior VP level Management is horrible!!

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees!! You hired us for our expertise and experience, but you never listen!!

Great coworkers, shortsighted and disheartening management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Annapolis, MD

I worked at TeleCommunication Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed the people I worked with directly, and some of the projects were challenging and enlightening. The benefits are really great.

Cons

This is supposed to be a tech company, however, they don't spend any money on the actual technology to make working there better. For instance, they give us terrible, outdated, under-powered computers. They give the employee's the absolute minimum of whatever an employee needs.

Advice to Management

To the "good ol' boys club" running this ship into the ground... I realize one might think that only disgruntled employees leave feedback here and think they should take the advice lightly. You can do that if you want, and any feedback is, well... feedback. Maybe think about trimming the fat where it actually needs to be trimmed, instead of thinking you might owe somebody for making the company what it is. Many of the people laid off in the most recent cuts (Nov. 2013), could have kept their jobs, and were owed just as much for making the company what it is than some of the folks still sitting pretty, getting big checks at the end of the year. Actually many of those folks would still be there if the fat that'd been trimmed would have been from the top.Also, many of the current and former employee's I've spoken with believe the Captain and the Good ol' Boy's at the top are old enough to retire, and are riding this ship as far as they can before jumping off onto their sweet little (or shall we say large) lifeboats. While the rest of us go down with the ship. At least that's what it looks like from down here.

Dysfunctional Sales Management - Government Solutions Group (GSG)

Former Employee - Federal Account Manager in Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - Federal Account Manager in Annapolis, MD

I worked at TeleCommunication Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Business Development Support Group (BDSG) is a top notch professional proposal management organization. They make getting a proposal out the door run very smoothly. Non GSG organizations have some well respected products and services out in the marketplace.

Cons

There are many Cons to working here. First, the job title and plan are for a sales person when in actuality the job is Business Development. Starting out at TCS you will live on your base salary from Day 1, you can receive a recoverable draw but I don't know of anyone actually receiving commissions so the draw will need to be paid back. The commission structure is such that you get no commissions until you are over 25% of your yearly number so your initial sales are completely commission free. It isn't until you exceed 75% of the yearly number that you receive 100% commission. Oh and you only receive commissions quarterly and that is 2 months after the quarter in question. Turnover: People either leave or are asked leave typically one year or so after hiring on. Sales people leave because they aren't making any money or you are asked to leave because of a lack of sales. In large part the company doesn't want to make an investment in an individual to actually penetrate an account. When I was asked to leave in just under a year my boss, boss's boss and all 3 peers in my department the day I started at the company were already gone, I was next in line. This systematic approach also prevents them from ever paying commissions. Management: I met the CEO of this 1400 person company once at the company holiday party and he never held one "all hands" meeting of any sort. The President of GSG reports quarterly on the numbers but never demonstrates any leadership or personal qualities to the group. He governs with an iron fist and his management style is to manage to the opportunities loaded into SFDC.com. Up until recently there were internal meetings every day, about 6 weeks ago a new 9-4 rule went into affect so now all internal meetings take place before 9 or after 4. There are now daily meetings at 7:45am or 5:30pm just to cover all the internal meetings. Minimum of 10 hour days are typical. In addition, the culture is very DOD - military-centric. The CEO is a NAVY grad and the President of GSG is a West Point grad. There is an inner circle of male managers that are protected from everything, women are either spoken about or their opinions are disregarded.

Advice to Management

HR needs to really understand what's going on and fix the problem of the internal treatment of employees. TCS needs to alter their current management structure so that there is one sales force selling all TCS products and services. The divisions have their own P&L and often leads to poor management decisions because they don't necessarily do what's right for the customer if it means involving another division. Cross train all employees to be fluent in all that TCS has to offer.

RSS Feed </> Embed