TeleCommunication Systems

Updated January 13, 2015
2.4

TeleCommunication Systems Chairman, President, and CEO Maurice B. Tosé
Maurice B. Tosé

Pros
  • The good people get promoted and the poor people get gone (in 10 reviews)

• Good people, decent pay, good benefits (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has no organizational skills, and no clue how to obtain them (in 10 reviews)

• Office in Georgia played favorites, and there was not a good atmosphere between management and employees (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great people to work with

Current Employee - Developer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Developer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at TeleCommunication Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great team to work with. Strong technical skills and team focused environment.

Cons

Very top down decision making and control by upper level management. More collaboration with front line and mid level employees would make the company stronger.

Don't accept that offer letter!

I worked at TeleCommunication Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

TCS will pay a new employee more than the market median. In some parts of the company the culture of success and personal satisfaction is very high, in other it is non-existent. Forced "Vacation" at Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Cons

TCS is all about $ in C-level pockets. Employees are pawns to be used and thrown away. TCS has NO published plan for employees to advance to the next level, no formal job descriptions, therefore no way to rate for advancement. They will pay someone more than average, so when someone wants to leave they find they can't make the same salary but they are also trapped in the role they have. Increases and bonus are based on who your friends are, not what you did.

Take a lesson from the companies that hold the "Best Places to work" ribbon. People matter! 0% annual increases will not retain or motivate employees no matter how many times management says TCS is beating projections.

Started good, ended terrible.

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at TeleCommunication Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Started around 2006 (in the Public Safety division) and I liked the feel of the smaller company (I came from larger companies). The people were run to work with, the technology was interesting, and I got to have my hands on lots of aspects (server, application, storage...). It was a great learning environment.

Cons

The politics started coming out soon after starting. Re-orgs based on fiefdoms, lots of infighting. Very disorganized, no top down goal setting. On-call rotation became awful due to technical issues. Very disconnected from corporate, which is in Annapolis, MD.

Figure out your core business, have executives from corporate spend more time in Seattle. Stop infighting and empire building. Centralize IT functions, improve SDLC!

Employees are treated as disposable; (most) management is out of touch

I have been working at TeleCommunication Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Coworkers are dedicated, and genuinely care about our customers
    -My manager is awesome, however that is definitely an exception to the rule. Unfortunately because of their awesomeness, they keep piling more responsibility & groups onto them so they have less time for the people they oversee.
    -Insurance is decent, and price is reasonable. Other benefits are nominal.
    -401(k) match was partially reinstated after being revoked for about a year.

Cons

It seems like the company just keeps wanting to come up with new ways to demoralize their employees. You're expected to put in 50+ hours a week if you're salaried, 401(k) match was suspended for about a year as well as capping our vacation accrual, and then came the most recent insult: forced time off around Thanksgiving and Christmas. The first week of November, there was an "all hands" meeting, in which it was announced that we had to use vacation time for the M-W before Thanksgiving and M-W before Christmas "because the company cares about our families." (hah) This caused a pretty big uproar because not only did they give us almost 0 notice to plan/save vacation time, but everyone felt misled about the reason for the change. If you had already used your vacation for the year, you could either borrow against next year's or go unpaid. Finally, after being pressed, they admitted it was all for "cost savings" - even if it was all an accounting trick to get vacation time off the books.

There's also the issues with our (my division's) products. It's generally a really good product, but it has quite a few bugs that need to be ironed out. However, management keeps promising our large corporate partners more and more new features, so not enough time is spent fixing existing issues while introducing new ones.

Finally, the HR department is terrible. I'm assuming they're just understaffed/overworked like the rest of the company, but when you're impacting someone's financial wellbeing - I find that unacceptable. Simple things such as changing direct deposit are incredibly difficult, and have required getting my manager involved to get HR to even acknowledge my emails.

-Treat your employees as valuable assets and not disposable commodities
    - Be honest with your employees. If financial concessions need to be made in order to avoid layoffs, tell us that. Don't give us a line of garbage making it sound like it's somehow to benefit us.

fast paced, never bored

Current Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at TeleCommunication Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Super smart people, great team events

Cons

Executives chipping away at benefits package

Restore benefits and chip away at executive compensation instead

Dispoint for China office( may close)

I have been working at TeleCommunication Systems

Pros

poor sales lead to poor performance

Cons

no chanllage yet, expect more

High-turnover. Great until management got greedy. GSG is a very poor environment to work in due to the current mgmt.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Annapolis, MD

I worked at TeleCommunication Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

First few years were great - good co-workers, good pay, commissions, fast promotions, then it all changed for the worse. The best thing that TCS still has going is the GSG BD/proposal team.

Cons

Two years into my tenure, management got greedy, fired the VP of Sales, capped commissions, cut benefits, and started layoffs. Management does not care about employees or even the investors, just about maximizing their own bonuses at all costs. One year, the CEO gave himself a 55% raise the very day after he fired 100 people.

Your business depends on your employees. Take care of them and they'll take care of you.

People can do better here

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at TeleCommunication Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Bad news is TCS is facing a lot of problems today and just has a head of its bad time. Good news is that it is a good place to practice achieving your goal within an unfavorable environment, digging resources when resource is very scarce!

Cons

Benefits are going down.
    Weak leadership

To be more efficient.

Good old boy network

Former Employee - Director Sales
    Former Employee - Director Sales

I worked at TeleCommunication Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent benefits. Pay not bad.

Cons

Company run by good old boys. Executive team took care of themselves all the while watching stock price sink.

Get with the times. Your culture is archaic. Listen to your employees and be more flexible.

Overall negative vibe

I have been working at TeleCommunication Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, diversified portfolio provides some revenue stability in overall shrinking markets, overall culture is slower paced than most technology companies so you get good balance of life. Few work more than 30 to 40 hours per week.

Cons

Products are commoditized so revenue shrinks every year which means layoffs and annual re-orgs are the norm. Exec team rarely promotes from within so "rain makers" are brought in from other industries to run business. They are fired 2 years later when they don't deliver. Most strong employees left or have been laid off so zombies have taken over.

Management doesn't genuinely seek advice.

TeleCommunication Systems Photos