TeleNav

TeleNav Reviews

Updated Mar 17, 2014

TeleNav President and CEO H. P. Jin

H. P. Jin

Pros:
  • "There was a lot of free food such as dinner for those working late and lunch at most noon meetings"
    in 8 reviews
  • "The employees at TeleNav are generally a good group of bright hard working people"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Very low spirit in the company, beaten by Apple and Google in smart phone GPS"
    in 5 reviews
  • "This is caused by disorganized structure, mis-communications, and poor management"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

senior software engineer

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at TeleNav full-time for less than a year

Proslike a family, relationship between colleagues are good. small company, you can touch different parts of work as you like

Consthe company depends too much on carriers and car manufacturers, the brand is not that famous. the architecture is kind of mess, several teams build their hadoop clusters respectively

Advice to Senior Managementinvest more on big data, machine learning. and invest more on content

liked the company

Staff Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at TeleNav full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe company gave me a lot of responsibilities on different projects and let me lead the teams. Had great relationship with the teammates.

ConsThe leadership team has no technical vision. Though the marketing team is OK. But the products are not robust without being boosted by technology.

Good place to work

Software QA Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at TeleNav full-time for less than a year

ProsFriendly co-workers, lot of potential to grow, easy communication with top management, always ready to listen to new and bright ideas. Good benefits. The new HR director seems competent and the over all work quality is improving.

ConsNeed to retain some of the bright minds. Lot of good talents leaving the organization. Over dependence on off shore china team. Sometimes communication becomes a barrier.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove the interview process to hire better talents. Must try to encourage people to work on independent projects, other than the job related work. Must go beyond social media to reach consumers.

np

I have been working at TeleNav as a contractor for more than a year

ProsGreat CEO, great culture and values

Consno opportunity to grow up

Advice to Senior ManagementLet's employees to build their carrier

The ship is going down

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at TeleNav full-time for more than a year

Pros- Some nice colleague.
- Pretty strong offshore engineer team

Cons- With a large wave of talent departure, you can hardly find a bright/creative engineer in the company.
- Very low spirit in the company, beaten by Apple and Google in smart phone GPS.
- Many early employees holds important position but are unable to catch up with new technology.
- Very inefficient project execution, chaos in the middle management.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the opinions from the other side of Pacific ocean, you can easily identify which engineers/architects are incapable of doing their jobs.

Negatively biased

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at TeleNav full-time for more than a year

ProsSome great engineers and plenty of good people. Been a good place to make friends and work on interesting stuff

ConsNo vision, No execution, Dependance on china, people run pet projects like its no one's business, no career dev, poor/avg salary, no incentives, very low morale and lack of enthusiasm. In a crowded space dominated by the biggies Google, apple , microsoft and maybe amazon soon..

Advice to Senior ManagementShake things up, have laser focus, execute at all levels, energize with purpose and passion and not by putting competition down.

Better than a few years ago, still room to improve

I have been working at TeleNav full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIn a relevant, growing industry

Moving from risky reliance on carrier partners to a more diverse mix of revenue sources

Good cultural changes taking place. Slowly weeding out the people who only say, "No, it can't be done"

Good work atmosphere and hours. People work late when they're a little behind, but no continuous 12-hour-day death marches

Great new facilities, with gym, game room, some catered lunches, etc

ConsTalented employees are still leaving. Lots of infighting over scarce talent. Some engineers have to split their attention among 3+ teams

Software development and deployment methodology stuck in the '90s. Waterfall. Over-emphasis on process, planning and documentation

Salaries are average, but equity compensation is all but nonexistent. We ought to be handing out stock like candy to motivate people to stay

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease do what it takes to retain our top talent

Becoming friendlier to staff but business prospect is a question mark

I have been working at TeleNav full-time for more than 3 years

ProsTalented and Friendly colleagues. Flexible working hours. Free fruits served every Mon/Wed/Fri and Free Lunch every Thur. Founders care about people.

ConsNeed more compelling story for growth prospect of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow more cool product in-the-work to encourage the whole team.

experience director is basically a don draper...without don draper's ideas

User Experience Designer (Current Employee)

Prosif you want a stable 9 to 5, this is the place

it is the sort of place where juniors will get some mentoring from time to time. don't expect it, but when you really need coaching you will get it

Consif you wanna be peggy olson, be my guest. you are gonna be disappointed.

the company is financially stable but with apple and google providing free GPS services, it will be hard for telenav to stay around. their enterprise GPS unit is fledgeling too

Advice to Senior Managementmanagement is very old guard. not a collaborative, learning organization. ideas come from the top, and the junior are seen as incapable and confused children. often feels industrial, which is probably the reason apple and google are destroying you.

Good group of people but needs more strategic direction.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at TeleNav full-time for more than a year

ProsThe employees at TeleNav are generally a good group of bright hard working people. Generally collaborative and open to new ideas and ways of doing things.

ConsTeleNav needs a clearer, more sensible long-term business plan. The marketplace for LBS apps and services is constantly changing and highly competitive, however I did not see a viable long term business plan or strategy to address these threats. While the aspriation of what TeleNav wants to do and where they want to be may make sense, the path of how to get there was not particularly sensible. Additionally, competing internal projects contributed to already strained human resources, leading to constant product delays and missed expectations.

Worked for TeleNav? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at TeleNav reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for TeleNav CEO H. P. Jin. All 90 reviews posted anonymously by TeleNav employees.