TelePacific Communications

Updated February 25, 2015
Updated February 25, 2015
2.9

Richard A. Jalkut

Pros
  • Very good customer service, small enough that you can get things done without a lot of red tape (in 6 reviews)

• Out-of-state and work-from-home opptys are available, too (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The service, the install, the customer service, the managers the sales people (in 4 reviews)

• No 401k matching and medical was OK (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent On-boarding and Training!

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at TelePacific Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, professional environment, everyone is on the same mission.

Cons

Not much to say at this point.

Keep up the work on process improvement.

Solid small company with excellent customer service, enterprise products and services.

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Dallas, TX

I have been working at TelePacific Communications

Pros

Strong company with great upside.

Cons

Companies is going through a growth period and processes and procedures make it difficult to get work done.

Project Engineer

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at TelePacific Communications full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Some of the hardest working people I've ever worked with

Cons

Management is like working for a company in the 1980. Purely autocratic leadership. CEO is old school. Never addressed an all hands meeting in the 7 months I was there. Understand this is a sales organization. If you're not a sales star, you'll work long hours for average pay. Take the job if you must. Lots of old head managers that have been there from the beginning and have worked their way into management. That's great, but these are not professional MBA type managers. Its brute force, people crying leaving managers offices, crank out a high volume of work, or else.

Adopt 21st century management practices. Get some MBAs in management, not just old heads. Be more quantitative in your practices. Make all directors and above get at least a management certificate or executive MBA

A guppy wanting to be a whale in a giant ocean of telecom

I worked at TelePacific Communications

Pros

good potential money for entry level sales

Cons

wanting to be everything to everyone when in fact it should stick with selling voice services.

Learn your product line before you teach your sales people to sell.

Fantastic place to work!

Current Employee - Executive Assistant to the Chairman of the Board in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at TelePacific Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company Culture, Exceptional Opportunities for advancement, Employee Recognition

Cons

Moving to Washington State and having to leave to Company.

The Human Resources staff ROCK! Never have I worked at a place so vested in its people.

Good opportunity to grow your sales skills, and compensation potential is excellent if you are willing to work hard!

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at TelePacific Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Contracts are in plain English, there is no pulling punches with your customer. Therefore, you work with others that have integrity and aren't competing with internal cheaters like you would at AT&T for example.

Cons

Name recognition makes getting in the door with prospects a challenge.

Don't hire sales managers without company experience, it is difficult for them to learn and therefore difficult for them to provide support and passionate inspiration for their sales staff.

There are bad companies and there are legendary bad companies. This one is Legendary.

Former Employee - CSATT in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - CSATT in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at TelePacific Communications

Pros

It was a job to pay my bills. That was the only up side

Cons

Legendary Bad management. Mangers who had no earthly ideal of how to do the job. Instead of learning the job, they found lackeys to tell the what was going one. The were two types of people working there coworkers and employees. Coworkers know the rules, they show respect to one another. Employees pull the pin one their fellow man, always running to the office to complain rather than do their work. They bring shame to the game. So the managers along with these employees scheme to get people they don't like fired.

To clean house and get new management. Stop taking clients on Aspen ski resort trips and start paying your employees

The worst management, support,processes and culture. A culture of "do as I say not as I do" Ego driven management

Current Employee - Outside Field Sales in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Outside Field Sales in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at TelePacific Communications full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very nice and helpful salespeople. I could not have done my job without their help.
    base pay and benefits

Cons

foul language and yelling is typical in this destructive place and the department that should care is fully aware but they support the behavior and actually try to tell you if you were at quota that the destructive behavior would probably go away or make excuses for the "leaders" behaviors
    you may be ask to resign several times, you know it is horrific when several reps quit without another job, tense, stressful, miserable environment, commissions are deducted if you ask for a lower price to win the bid, they can decrease your salary if you don't sell and no one has made quota in several years
    no 401k match at all, no pension, time off is limited, no flexibility, no support, constant finger pointing to someone else or another department. distrustful, dishonest, unethical management, no open door policy,revolving door
    lots of resistance and attitude from the "non sales" group if you ask for help,ask a question or need them to join you on a sales call, lots of people do not know how to do their job or simply choose not to do it. We are a burden to ask them to do their job so that we my sell more.

We sit in 3 hour meetings to listen to speeches from upper management talk about how great they are as people and how hard they work every day and then we spend hours learning how we should manage and how to schedule appointments in a manual calendar, and how we continue to disappoint everyone in the company and we are the worst people and office in the company. I'm not sure how some of you got to have such big ego's. You do not do what you say you will do, you do not help, you do not even know the processes or products and are of no help or value and you just want to listen to yourself talk for hours. We are treated like children, you are called out in front of your peers if you look away for just a second in a meeting or if any of your body language looks out of place you will be called out and it is meant to be embarrassing, disrespectful, humiliating and intimidating. There are personal attacks and insults at individuals. If you don't take plenty of notes or what is deemed to be a good amount of notes during a meeting you will also be called out.

The micromanagement is suffocating, there are meetings every day, this is a schedule you must meet and don't be late to any of this even if you are selling. You must reschedule sales meetings and appointments because of the office schedule, you are expected to turn in 3 calendars a week, manual, email and print, call 150 people a day, 1 to 2 meetings a day and email a daily report of all activity and answer the door because this to is a part of your responsibility. You will be watched making calls and listens to comments if the call is to long or you didn't say the right thing. You can't talk to a coworkers during the day or you will be asked why even if it is work related. You are called several times a day just for a report or to find out where you are even though they have 3 calendars showing where you are. you can be sent home or written up if you are late. (yes this is titled an outside sales position but all of your time is tracked hour by hour and you can get sent home for being late and in this company, that culture is encouraged by upper management and other departments)

You will NOT receive a single lead in this company, you compete with other departments for new sales, you are not given any accounts you are looking for new business only, you are beaten out by price the majority of the time and the company will take commission from you if you ask for a lower price and it is a very high %. Commissions are deducted to pay vendor referrals, No one knows who we are in the market, we do not advertise, and it is difficult to get anyone to follow up with a customer or complaint and some are rude to customers. The ramp up period is very misleading and very few even have a chance at this. There is a lot of turnover at this location and company wide. The recruiting process is very misleading. The training is lackluster and ego's are extremely high there as well, you are treated like children in this company but it is demanded of you to stay positive at all times. Ask around before going to work there. If you choose to interview ask about the decrease of salary if you miss quota, deduction in commissions just to meet a competitive price, deduction for install and vendor referrals. This company will try to keep all commissions for themselves and find a way to take it from you.

Stop yelling, cursing, lying and bullying. Your idea of leadership and motivation is horrific and degrading
    Stop belittling us personally and professionally every chance you get
    You run on emotion any suggestion is taken as criticism
    Make it a non hostile place to work. It is almost as if you are very proud of the hostile environment
    Be honest in the hiring process about the culture, compensation and schedule
    You place an emphasis on wanting to retain your salespeople however you do everything possible to get us to leave
    Hire people who can help, get rid of the bullies, bullying behavior, insults and threats, and people that do not want to do their job
    look at your pricing and stop taking commission from us if we ask for a lower price just to win the business
    Stop blaming the salespeople for lack of results and ask yourself what have you done and can you do what you expect us to do?
    Accept your shortcomings and lack of knowledge, stop blaming everything on the reps

If you are in sales, never work here!

Former Employee - Direct Sales in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Direct Sales in Austin, TX

I worked at TelePacific Communications full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I met some of the most talented and nicest people there. Benefits are adequate. Nice view.

Cons

If you are a sales person considering employment with TelePacific Communications in Texas, run for your life. In our decades of telecom experience, my former teammates nor I have ever seen a business model so inept and incompetently executed.

There are numerous reasons why I believe this company is destined to fail in Texas, and one should consider this prior to considering a job in sales here. TelePacific resells other carriers’ services and then marks them up to ungodly prices. In the event a customer actually does sign with TPac, it typically takes about 6 months to finally get it installed. If you are the rep that closed the deal, go ahead and forget about being paid. The company will find a way to drag their feet and not pay you, try to fire you before they pay you, or make life so miserable that you leave gladly without getting paid. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

There is zero marketing or advertising. The marketing department in Texas basically writes up collateral and makes spreadsheets for leadership with the 48 KPI metrics you are required to turn in daily. Did you ever see “Office Space?” Yes, there are a least eight “Bobs,” or for those unfamiliar with the movie, eight people that think they are your boss. TPS reports are a real thing. That is the business model here. It is KPI focused, and not focused on the results.

It amazes me that they continue to hire experienced salespeople. The company completely lobotomizes them with a rigid "formula," pointless meetings, KPIs, and they kill any motivation the reps had within the first month. Ramp period? Forget it. They expect you to hit full quota out of the gate because the desperation for sales is so palpable. They will treat you like you are the problem after month one. Also, experienced professionals in the industry see quickly how likely failure here is regardless of your skills. I was flat out lied to about the company's capabilities by my interviewer just to get me on board. I am not the only person that experienced that.

Leadership is arrogant, and they refuse to change any of their procedures. There is a 1950s management style and outlook on outside selling. Unfortunately that does not translate in 2015. One recent hire for a middle management position is an old golfing buddy of one of the "higher-ups," and he has absolutely zero experience in the wireline telecom industry. And, here’s one of the best parts - that person's first hire is a convicted felon with at least 37 counts in nearly a dozen states. Again, old pals. This includes some domestic battery, and the most recent jail stint was started in 2011. Human Resources all the way up to the CFO is allegedly aware of this, but apparently s/he is good to go. All you have to do is “Google” this person, and you can find numerous records. I guess TPac needs to fire their background check company. That, or this is right on par with their M.O. since they are a private company.

If you are a woman, run even faster! The misogyny and disrespect shown toward women from the top of the chain down through middle-management is like nothing I’ve ever seen in a work setting.

The average tenure for direct sales reps at TPac is five months. They have successfully eradicated most of the legacy leadership over the last year. The turnover in direct sales is amazing. Even people that managed to produce results in the past have been let go simply because leadership didn’t like them – and/or they were legacy employees. Again, they are so arrogant in their “formula” that they will continue to fire teams of 5+ every six months because it must be a “people problem” and not something wrong with their service, their pricing, their procedures, their reputation, etc. Gosh, the reputation is horrid. Vendors run like mad. This company does not have a good name in Texas. Still, they are scratching their heads on why things don’t work in Texas because if it works in California or Nevada, it must be the magic bullet.

When you have people in leadership positions that lack the necessary knowledge and experience pertinent to a specific industry, the ship is going down eventually. Duplicity among management is rampant. They will pat you on the back one minute then tell your direct supervisor you need to be fired. No one will come to your face. They will deviously skirt around the issues and sabotage you. We are talking about grown people.

There is so much more that could be said, but if the theme hasn’t been conveyed by now, it won’t be. I would not try to get my worst enemy to go work here. However, if you are a misogynist or a felon with domestic battery on your record, this place might be for you. While domestic violence has put a damper on the NFL’s reputation, leadership at TelePacific Texas will welcome those credentials into management positions.

Consolidate. Make your base management responsible for direct sales too. Give your reps a competitive service with decent pricing to sell.

Scary company to work for

I have been working at TelePacific Communications

Pros

Good benefits such as medical and they will cover your domestic partner.

Cons

I am not a salesperson or manager, but here is what I've observed.
    Company finds a reason to fire sales pros as soon as they might earn commissions.
    Have hired two people with felony convictions in their past in the last year.
    Due to being privately held, this company has some problems with unethical and unprofessional behavior that would not be tolerated in a publicly held company.
    The company is not making enough money through sales to finance current operations, much less network upgrades. I will be surprised if their investors give them more venture capital, given sales results.

Don't fire the few salespeople that are bringing in revenue.

TelePacific Communications Photos