Telecare Corporation

Updated Jul 4, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Anne L. Bakar

High integrity, great values both in client services and employee support

Nurse (Former Employee)

ProsTelecare promotes clinical staff from within to administrative positions, which increases the support and understanding for work done by clinical staff. Many women in management, and diversity is consistent at all levels. Consistently pays competitively in a difficult field, where less well-administered outfits come and go, leaving jobs in the lurch without warning.

ConsOverall, this is an undervalued field anywhere, and with Telecare, unless you work in a state where they have many units (i.e. CA), there is little room for advancement upwards in a clinical role.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't skimp on team-building activities when budgeting (as I saw happen over my years there at one unit) as these build more cohesiveness when working in a high-stress occupation.

Awesome opportunity to shine

Senior IT Solutions Architect (Current Employee)

ProsFreedom to work on projects important to me that also meet company goals.

ConsI have not experienced too many 'cons' yet, I would say that this large company has a lot of inertia and is a slow ship to turn.

Great work environment. Management empowers employees.

Case Manager (Current Employee) Modesto, CA

ProsExcellent program culture. Freedom to meet the needs of your clients in the best way you see fit. Nice perks (free lunches, company outings). Respect from all levels of management. I appreciate that the work is competitive.

ConsRelatively low wages compared to similar position with the County.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best Company Ever hands down

Mental HEalth Employee (Current Employee) Alameda, CA

ProsIt's so nice to work for a company that actually cares about the community
    so often you find these kinds of companies who have these mission statements but never truly follow through. Telecare is NOT that company. I love working here.

ConsI wish i got paid more...but who doesn't. that's just a part of the mental health system.
    I have to have a 20 word minimum but honestly the only thing there is to complain about is the PAY. which i blame medicaid for. sooo. not much else to say.

A great place to work; better if the departments would get out of their silo.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsTelecare is a fast growing mental healthcare company that specializes in helping adults with mental impairments reach their full potential. This is a company that appears to be committed to the well-being of the people they serve. They focus on quality of care first, employee morale second, and profits third. I have experienced many instances where the most important thing is the what is best for the person being served even when there is significant costs involved.

The company is in five states and growth presents many opportunities for advancement which can be rare in the mental health field. They pride themselves for promoting from with in the company.

There is a high involvement culture from management and I have always felt supported and encouraged to take risks and grow as a professional. The company appears to be very well respected in the mental health community and they have been apart of major developments in the field over the last 40 years.

ConsBecause the company is so spread out geographically, it sometimes feels a bit disjointed. For example, new initiatives can be cumbersome to roll out or policy decisions may seem haphazard because they have no relevance. There seems to be limited options for advancement beyond the administrator level.

Departments seem to be at odds at times. For example, the HR and Finance departments sometimes "wag the dog." It appears the Finance and IT department have had difficulties keeping key personnel who seem to leave for bigger companies. Further, leadership of these departments seem disconnected from the Operations Department.

Advice to Senior ManagementVisit the programs outside of the Bay Area. Increase base salaries to keep key personnel. Reconsider having members of the Executive Committee also be members of the Board of Directors.

Want to really make a difference and feel good? Work at Telecare.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Alameda, CA

ProsTelecare is a place where people can do really good, heartfelt work that matters -- really matters. Everything we do either directly or indirectly helps people with mental illness, and that's something I feel great about. We are all treated like family -- sometimes good, sometimes not, but it's never 'corporate-y' -- I always feel like an individual and very appreciated.

ConsIf you are not a clinical person, sometimes it can be difficult to find ways to advance. That's because although we are a large company, the corporate/administration side is actually very small. However, if you are a clinical person, there is lots of room to advance.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work! Seriously. The people in senior management really care about this work; it's kind of wonderful to be a part of.

I learned a lot about the recovery model and enjoyed my experience at Telecare.

Recovery Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsHigh level of interaction with residents.
    Room for employee idea input.
    Flexible on shift scheduling.
    Found residents to be inspiring.

ConsOccasional employee drama would create stressful and distracting environment for residents.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to provide employees with feedback on the care they are providing. Try to create a more professional working environment by reducing non work-related conversations.

Great mission - disorganized management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosrewarding work. great mission of asssiting clients to reach their highest potential.

Consculture can be nasty. lots of management turnover and changes.

Unprofessional

PSC (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsI am able to gain work experience

ConsUnprofessional co-workers & managers, biased managers that promote friends over other employees that have more experience and/or education. Benefits and pay are lower than other similar companies in the area.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess lip service & more action, when problems are reported.

Apathetic Management: Truth is Lip Service is not Action

Director of Nursing (Current Employee)

ProsIts a job and everyone needs a job. Facility is located close to living space.

ConsManagement is apathetic and unprofessional. Total lack of professional courtesy and leadership. Benefits are sub par with little to no room for advancement. Corporate talks a good game but endgame is all talk and no action for improvement.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire qualified individuals, not someone that you know and gave a promotion without merit. Its okay to hire Caucasians that are male and have not only the minimum requirements but are over qualified for the position. I think they can do the job better than a minimum qualified individual with little to no real experience in the discipline.

Worked for Telecare Corporation? Contribute to the Community!