Teledyne Brown Engineering

Be The First To
Add Photos

Rex D. Geveden

Technical Writer

Technical Writer (Former Employee)
    Huntsville, AL

ProsVery interesting programs happening there.

ConsIntegrated logistics seemed to be an afterthought.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Good manufacturer for one off projects

Technical Writer (Former Employee)
    Huntsville, AL

ProsA long established engineering company with challenging projects.

ConsThe integrated logistics unit is all hat and no cattle. As with most companies in the area, the concentration of skills is for US Army work and ill suited for other services. The company is not a skilled DoD contractor. The leadership is poor and self-absorbed tending to ignore the day to day work in areas that require competent guidance and informative feedback.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on NASA projects and away from military work where there is an emphasis on product lifecycle support for repeated missions.

OK company/Great Team!

Analyst (Former Employee)
    Arlington, VA

ProsThe ability to telecommute and the customer, my team, and our customer are the main reasons I stayed here for almost 10 years working the same contract.

ConsOnce project ended I ended with TBE, company has no loyalty once your contract is gone.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually try harder to place employees who were displaced by a lost contract. Don't just pay lip service to finding another spot for those displaced by a lost contract.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company as a whole is OK. They need to show their employee appreciation better.

Systems Engineer II (Former Employee)
    Huntsville, AL

ProsThere is a cafeteria and a (small) gym on campus. The pay is decent. The management coordinates activities and events for employees and their families.

ConsLower pay than many other companies in town. I don't know what this says about me, but they tend to higher lower quality people.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on providing more competitive pay rates.

Only a so so place to work

Analyst (Former Employee)
    Huntsville, AL

ProsFairly consistent in the amount of contracts they win, and were competing all the time for various types of contracts.

ConsLayoffs were bad in there was not any offers for early retirements or much to address the financial side of layoffs/retirements. Once you retire they don't want to see you there and you aren't welcome on their property of have any access to the fitness center or anything else. It's like other than receiving a check monthly, you never existed.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't drop and forget your retirees because we helped make you who you are!

OK

Systems Engineer II (Current Employee)
    Huntsville, AL

ProsThey don't really bother you.

ConsTheir overhead is high due to managements 7 figure salaries, vacation sucks.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that you provide no added value and you may win the next ESSSA.

TBE - "bleh" to OK. TSI - The Best Place to Work, Ever!!!

Systems Analyst (Former Employee)
    Huntsville, AL

ProsI worked both for Teledyne Brown (TBE) and its subsidiary, Teledyne Solutions (TSI).
    Both companies had flex-time (useful with respect to family needs/emergencies). Both companies worked on challenging projects that tested my analytical/problem solving skills.
    Both companies had good lower-to-middle management who were real mentors and who took an active interest in employees' professional and personal growth. At TSI, that attitude stretched all the way into upper management.
    At TSI, we worked on especially challenging projects, and my coworkers there displayed superb technical competence. I was provided with every tool necessary to do my job - if I asked for it (needed or wanted it), I got it. Period. We were also a very tight-knit family, there.
    That was also true at TBE, but at TBE it very much depended upon which project you were working on as to whether or not you got the resources you needed or wanted.
    TBE also has a technical library, technical brown-bag seminars, and (at least when I was there) tuition ASSISTANCE (not reimbursement!!!) for college. I know of no other defense contractors in town who do that. None.
    I give the company a higher rating solely because of TSI (there isn't a profile for it on this site).

ConsWhile TSI provided me the tools I needed, TBE wasn't always that great about it. But, again, it depended entirely on which project you were working on. On some projects, it was great. On others, not. In one case, I was asked (as in, do it, or there goes your job) to get software to run on the wrong operating system. I had to do alot of "hacking" (ahem) of the code. Particularly with NASA work, TBE seems to try to do things on the cheap a little too often.
    There's also alot of anecdotes floating around about management's duplicity with respect to employees and how they are treated. While I experienced very little of that, myself (I think maybe on one occasion with one particular project manager), there are far too many anecdotes floating around from far too many trusted sources for it to be coincidence. Namely, telling employees their jobs are secure, and then quietly laying them off weeks later. Or, laying people off just prior to retirement.
    It seems to be far less frequent than at a company like, say, SAIC. It's really bad for morale.
    I have absolutely no complaints about TSI. They are the best!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with your employees. The whole "don't quit 'till we fire you" thing isn't what TBE should be all about, and is a hallmark of the larger and more exploitative companies (Boeing, Raytheon, SAIC, and heck, let's throw in Intergraph).

TBE is a good place to work

Director of Business Development (Current Employee)

ProsTBE has a great reputation and a storied history in the aerospace and defense industry. Most employees are hardworking and friendly.

ConsThe facility in Huntsville is old. Management is complicated by a high number of family members working there and bias toward a declining NASA market

Ok employer

ProsBenefits better than some, worse than others.

ConsNo long term plan for new business

Worked for Teledyne Brown Engineering? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Teledyne Brown Engineering reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Teledyne Brown Engineering CEO Rex D. Geveden. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Teledyne Brown Engineering employees.