Teledyne Scientific

Be The First To
Add Photos

Robert Mehrabian

Senior Research Scientist

Senior Research Scientist (Former Employee)

I worked at Teledyne Scientific full-time for more than 5 years

ProsUsed to conduct interesting research into many DoD related programs. Some very smart people in diverse areas.

ConsInteresting at first, but then degraded by poor management over time and lack of support. Several clicks that block participation to contribute ideas. Some managers are not well versed in the underlying technologies and decide by favorites versus credible input making snap uninformed decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need better people who have the appropriate background to manage different groups with less reliance on politics and balanced with some depth of understanding of the technologies including support for all employees in their group.

Failed to provide W2's to employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Teledyne Scientific full-time

ProsThey will tell you exactly what you want to hear.

ConsThey do not seem to care the slightest for their employees. Repeatedly misled employees. Failed to provide required information in a timely manner for tax and medical purposes. At the end of February I am still waiting for my W2 and cannot get a hold of the people responsible. I was not provided with medical plan information until after a plan decision had to be made to prevent a lapse in coverage. I was repeatedly misled during the beginning of my employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like people and at least give them the impression that you care.

Bad management

Camarillo, CA

I have been working at Teledyne Scientific full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNothing really, but the pay isn't bad.

ConsMicromanagement from mostly senior level ( in each department). Each program is very poorly managed and budgeted. No room for career advancement also raise and bonus are almost none existent. The quality system is a joke, not regularly enforced as well lacks hazardous safety awareness. In a nut shell the whole company needs an absolute make over. From purchasing, financing, operations, HR, Inventory, QA, you name it! its terrible!

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the sites to a more professional and promising company, because you honestly do not know what you are doing. Maybe Teledyne as a whole but, the management that run the Camarillo and Thousand Oaks facilities lack in every aspect. Its shocking that they work DoD contracts. Also a factor software would be good to invest in that incorporates inventory, equipment, status of process work flow, etc.

Repeatedly mislead future employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Teledyne Scientific full-time for less than a year

ProsGood technology, good locations, opportunities to move up.

ConsBureaucracy! They make everything sound really good but then actually do something else at the last minute. Foresight is lacking, constant reorganization and promoting of executives. Very corporate driven with very little concern or interest in things on an actual engineering level.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not make announcements unless you are actually going to follow through.

Applied research

Research Scientist (Former Employee)

I worked at Teledyne Scientific full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFlexible environment. Not much pressure. Opportunity to do applied research

ConsHave to apply for funding each year.

Mediocrity is our strength.

Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee)

I have been working at Teledyne Scientific

ProsMore or less stable. Friendly, caring people. The people are certainly fantastic, and they are good at what they do. Management on the other hand are generally out of touch with how to run a modern, commercial organization. They are from academic and government funded R&D backgrounds so it's in their blood. With respect to product development, they have no idea how to research markets and understand customers. They are used to governmental organizations telling them exactly what to do. Camarillo and Imaging Sensors are their focus - the rest of the company's business units are a sideshow long forgotten.

ConsInept management. Generally clueless about running a commercial business. This is because of the heavy background in R&D. Extremely risk adverse and horrible at strategic planning and market understanding. Extremely distrustful of outsiders and irrationally optimistic.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet real about your expectations and how you implement your strategy. Hope is not a strategy, nor do all your problems get solved by changing people's job titles or responsibility without giving them training nor alleviating their previous responsibilities or workload.

It is a good place for fresh graduate

I have been working at Teledyne Scientific

ProsYou can be trained on technology side and you can be trained on proposal writing and funding application. You have opportunities to work on cutting edge technologies.

ConsThere is too much pressure to market yourself inside the company. You can fit the company better if you know a little bit about everything.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease pay attention to award top performing personnel. Always use the people that can generate result, not hose who can make power point charts.

Worked for Teledyne Scientific? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Teledyne Scientific reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Teledyne Scientific CEO Robert Mehrabian. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by Teledyne Scientific employees.