Telefónica

Telefónica Reviews

Updated Apr 20, 2014

Telefónica President Cesar Alierta

Cesar Alierta

Pros:
  • "Nice culture overall (just not in the team I was working in) and work life balance"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Promote flexible working / allow working from home, where role permits"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "Faceless organisation where if you work in the extremities then you don't get a look-in from senior management"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Lack of appreciation and work life balance"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Dishonest Organization, Dishonest Management

Product Manager (Former Employee)
Mountain View, CA

I worked at Telefónica full-time for more than a year

ProsYou don't have to think very much to work here. Although you will have to do a lot of PPTs. A LOT OF THEM.

ConsEntire company motivated by politics. Flavor-of-the-month HR and workplace initiatives that are always a decade behind. No real focus on productivity. Management is primarily managing their careers, not their people. Company is dishonest with hiring and salary practices. I was promised one thing for bonuses and given something entirely different and far worse. Pay raises are meager and out of step with the going rate in California (why I left). When I left, the company tried to cheat me out of my accrued vacation as salary and break California law in the process. (Yes, they seem to have given no thought nor do they care about state labor laws). For context, this is the first time in my life I have left a company on bad terms.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on people first, products second, results third and money last. Stop playing politics.

Terrible team

Marketing (Former Employee)

I worked at Telefónica full-time for more than a year

ProsNice culture overall (just not in the team I was working in) and work life balance. The office is nice and it is a cool industry.

ConsThe team I worked with was full of backstabbing pretentious people who knew nothing about how to make a new business work. They tried to create office politics to cover the fact that they lacked the talent to be able to do their job properly. The project we were working on was exciting, it is a pity the team were always so negative and clueless.

Manager just clocked in and out and had no idea how to build team morale. Her solution was for people to work from home on different days so we could avoid seeing each other.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management should hire team managers who can solve problems instead of shying away from addressing them.

Tech support

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Telefónica

ProsDecent salary for the work you're doing

ConsNo work satisfaction or scope for progression

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Incompetence on a Grand Scale. Dishonesty, Too.

Product (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at Telefónica full-time for more than a year

ProsVery low expectations. Excellent health coverage in the U.S. Liberal work policies

ConsThe leadership is incredibly incompetent. They are totally out of touch with the markets they are supposed to serve and as a result this company has spun out failure after failure and continues to do so. The idea was digital agility and scale of a global telco. The reality is, agility of a global telco without any real businesses to justify the massive overhead. CapEx reviews are on a monthly basis, making it impossible to build anything. Sales targets are wildly inflated and sales models built without any real due diligence into a sector. Management is trucked in to oversee businesses that it has never touched and then doesn't even bother to learn about it. Recruiting practices are downright dishonest - promises are made that are not fulfilled.

Advice to Senior ManagementShutter the place. Or clean house. It can't get any worse.

Sold all it's workers to Capita without as much as an apology

Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee)
Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at Telefónica full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWon't be working for them after 1st July. Thought they were a great company to work for up until now. They offered flexible benefits and good work/life balance and I had defended them to all the customers throughout thick and thin

ConsThey don't care about their staff or customers. Capita have taken ove all call centre operations and will start looking for any way to save money

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy ruin a good company because you are in debt by outsourcing most of the operations?

bad management

Researcher (Current Employee)
Barcelona (Spain)

I have been working at Telefónica full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe salary was ok, the rest sucked

ConsThe management style was extremely bad

Advice to Senior Managementhire new people

Horrible place to work

HelpDesk (Former Employee)
São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I worked at Telefónica full-time for less than a year

ProsIt is a huge company with millions of dollars to invest in the quality of its products, but it doesn't happen and we can feel the costumer's dissatisfaction with that

ConsThe company does not have a carreer plan for its employees, and it is definitely a turn off.

Thinks it treats staff well, but it really doesn't...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at Telefónica

Pros-dynamic, lots of intitiatives, strong brand

Cons-constant restructures (often once a year now), where you have to reapply for your own job or another in the org
-fairly minimal opportunity for growth. most people could be there for 10 years an not move up a grade
-quite penny pinching in benefits: eroding them slightly each year, whilst inflation is going up all the time

Advice to Senior Managementpeople want to grow and develop and not just stay at the same level year after year, and have to reapply for their own job year after year. with constant restructuring of what's just been restructured. and stop reducing the benefits in real terms from year to year (!)

A company only for the tough-skinned or the aggressive

Database Administrator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Telefónica

ProsThe company had great potential a few years ago,but now the only advantage is you get paid an average salary to do your job, and it looks good on a CV.

ConsAs others have said here, bullying is something of a major problem for this company. I have seen way too many blatant examples of this kind of behaviour, and it generally goes unchecked. HR seem to support this approach under the auspices of "driving performance". It seems that recent hires into the company are more suited to a role in a Call Centre then a mature organisation, and tend to disguise their inadequacies with bluster and intimation.

Unfortunately, the bullying rarely gets addressed, and complaints against aggressive behaviour are not usually accepted as such, and results in an oppressive and unhealthy environment.

Company senior managers are very much unaware of what the lower managers are up to, and their behaviours go unchecked.

Not a place to make a career, but ideal to get quick experience and move on. Company seems to go into a state of panic and "blame-storming" as soon as revenue targets go astray,

Advice to Senior ManagementFire managers that use intimidation or aggression as a means of driving their own self worth. Focus more on your people and the people who truly display the core values.

Rat Race

System Administrative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Telefónica

ProsThe people the company does not realise the level of commitment form the staff

ConsThe rat race culture and the blame culture too many managers are more interested in covering their own backs instead of resolving issues. Also senior management have in the past told bare face lies to staff in relation to orgainisational changes the justification they give is to maintain the business as usual status.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue staff more and treat them like adults

Worked for Telefónica? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Telefónica reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Telefónica CEO Cesar Alierta. All 155 reviews posted anonymously by Telefónica employees.