Telefund

Updated June 30, 2014
Updated June 30, 2014

3.2

CEO

Great work environment, great experience, friendly coworkers and management

Current Employee - Findraiser  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Findraiser in Denver, CO

Pros

Supervisors WANT you to do well and are encouraging.

Cons

Telemarketing, you talk to a lot of angry people on the phones.

Adequate

Former Employee - Fundraiser  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Fundraiser in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

They have flexible hours, which was great for a college student. There was a little room for growth to become manager in a year or so with a slight pay raise. Laid back office culture.

Cons

Low paying, with few incentives to work efficiently. The aim is always to follow the script and adhere to the rules, rather than actually building relations with the clients.

Worked off and on in Los Angeles for 6 years

Former Employee - Caller  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Caller in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

The only thing Telefund in Los Angeles had going for it was that you could set your own schedule.

Cons

You couldn't be a minute late or you might not get a seat. The lists kept to get an unbooked seat were not well organized....you could travel to work and easily never get on if you weren't scheduled. Amenities were awful; at one time they had a kitchen; it was closed because a few workers wouldn't clean up and they wouldn't go after them; they just punished everyone. Last time I was there, they wouldn't even provide a cup for water; you had to bring your own. Co-workers could be very unpleasant, competitive and rude. Not all of them.... Pay awful. Minimum wage unless you're a very good caller. You can't possibly live on minimum wage in L.A. If they ran out of numbers or the phone system crashed, you get sent home without pay. Worst of all, if after two hours on a four- hour shift, if your numbers are not good, they send you home. Your numbers could easily improve in those last two hours, but you'll never know. I worked for Telefund for years and it got steadily worse.

Amazing that pay is so low when we're doing such good work!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work during a presidential election year

Former Employee - Fundraiser  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Fundraiser in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Can make decent money as a part-time job during a presidential election year

Cons

Must be able to take a lot of rejection.

Promote better qualified supervisors.

Okay

Current Employee - Caller  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Caller in Chicago, IL

Pros

Good people to work with. Very flexible

Cons

Boring, Cold Calling, Not good long term job

Eye of the Sh*tstorm

Current Employee - Fundraiser  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Fundraiser in Denver, CO

Pros

You can do the job high/ drunk/ bipolar or dressed like a serial killer or prostitute and not get in trouble. There aren't any other pros but this text box has a 20 word minimum.

Cons

On my first day of training (called a working interview so they don't have to pay you) I got a $500 donation and a $50 dollar donation in the first hour of and was yelled at and told that I screwed it up and didn't squeeze the donor hard enough to fork over more cash. (I was the only person in training who got a cent donated that day and I got a larger donation than any of the paid staff.)

They demand you do "homework" as they refer to it. They tell you to practice arguing with people about donating using your family as practice and read over pamphlets by their organization or you "wont be successful" (IE you'll be fired for not doing unpaid work outside of work hours.)

It is a boiler room operation that alienates any potential donors or members. the most common phrase I heard was " I will never donate to _________ again because I keep receiving all these awful calls"

They keep a do not call list but don't implement it and let their low level employees bear the abuse form people who receive calls day after day despite requests to be removed.

The owner of the company is a multi-millionaire who owns multiple homes and yachts and is no better than a Koch brother.

Telefund profiteers from the poor weak and down trodden with few other options. Please NEVER put your phone number on a donation and let organizations that call you through Telefund know that you won't donate because you don't support them using a company with such immorality and lack of integrity.

Stop lying to your self and employees that your doing a good thing for the world and accept that you're poverty pimps.

Extremely helpful to help in future jobs!

Former Employee - Student Representative  in  West Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Student Representative in West Hartford, CT

Pros

It was great to work for Telefund because of the interaction with alumni, parents of alumni and friends of my university.
    Great team of supervisors who always helped.
    Flexible hours and the ability to work additional shifts.
    Can take on a higher position with time and experience.

Cons

Shifts could be long.
    As with any job dealing with phone calls, some callers aren't always compliant with the caller.

Everything about the job i amazing. It is always beneficial to improve the script for future employers and always take any considerations they have. Also small workshops where employees could help each other learn how to improve their skills would be helpful.

Good if you're really into the issues

Former Employee - Caller
    Former Employee - Caller

Pros

It's cool to just talk about politics to people all day if that's what you sometimes do anyway (for free). Good people working there, and they have lots of 'fun' things to participate in.

Cons

It's frustrating when people are rude on the phone and it can wear you down. Some callers get really bent out of shape when donors are rude or hang up, and if that's you this is probably not a good job for you.

Make sure that training is good for everyone so everyone has an equal shot.

Have fun, raise money, flexible hours

Current Employee - Fundraiser  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Fundraiser in Austin, TX

Pros

Flexible hours, awesome campaigns, like minded people in the workplace, you can move up to be a trainer or supervisor or a director

Cons

It's really not as bad as some people have reviewed on here. Yes, the atmosphere can get charged and intense - we talk to people about gay rights, women's rights, etc and all of that is highly exciting right now. The only con I will say is that they evaluate pay way too often, every 80 hours.

Hire more people! I like it when the office is buzzing and you have to talk a little louder to people on the phone.

Very inspiring and the energy is contagious

Current Employee - Caller
    Current Employee - Caller

Pros

I have learned and continue to learn so much just exactly what's going on in our society. This knowledge goes way beyond what we see in everyday media. It's a combination of using the best of your heart and head to help get progressive things done for this country

Cons

It's a job and it's not always easy, but it's inspiring working with people who care about the causes and the donors are amazing, I promise, they'll give you hope, in fact proof, that a lot of people really do care

Worked for Telefund? Contribute to the Community!