Telegraph Media Group Reviews

• Any Status
Employment Status

Reset
Murdoch MacLennan

1. Given room for creativity but not always willing to recognise and remunerate time spent working.

Former Contractor - Video Journalist in London, England (UK)
    Former Contractor - Video Journalist in London, England (UK)

I worked at Telegraph Media Group as a contractor (More than 8 years)

Pros

I work freelance on assignment outside the UK and my own opinions on how to pursue a story have always been respected by commissioning editors.

Cons

Producing a story inevitably takes longer than the time for which commissioning editors are willing to pay.

Advice to Management

Recognise that video stories with high production values do take time to edit. This extra time is often rewarded with a greater number of viewers.

2. Good digital product push, OK workload, low morale company culture, lack of career progression opportunity

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Telegraph Media Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good push for digital product development - Some nice and dynamic people to work with - Nice environment - Liberal work attire - Nice Christmas parties

Cons

- Lack of career progression or staff skillset development - Unstructured teams and processes - Lack of business transparency - Too much departmental and individual politics, therefore don't tend to work as a team and help each other - Low morale company culture - Low salary that are below market average (except for some Sales persons) - Incompetent individuals - High staff turnover

Advice to Management

People make the company - don't focus too much on annual revenue targets - pay attention to technology and and recognise resource needs to make the business grow and in turn, retain high caliber staff.

3. Telegraph.co.uk

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

I worked at the Telegraph online department for a year and a half. It was very interesting and my colleagues were all dynamic individuals. They seemed committed to innovation and providing a top notch product.

Cons

Sometimes I felt the drive to increase website traffic clouded editorial decisions. Also, during a period of cutbacks I thought management treated the casual workers unfairly (but I may be biased).

Advice to Management

Don't compromise the caliber of the content of the website in the hunt for extra clicks.

RSS Feed </> Embed