Telephone & Data Systems

Add Photos

Ted Carlson Jr.

Great

SAP Basis Administrator (Current Employee) Middleton, WI

ProsGreat emphasis on eduction and learning

Conslot going on, there is not much to say. Very friendly work environment. Love to come to work and leave with a peace of mind and accomplishment.

A company in the midst of reinventing themselves

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Madison, WI

ProsGood work/life balance; good people (staff) and decent culture; great benefits and fair and competitive pay

ConsSenior leadership inconsistent and frequently out of touch; company is trying very hard to reinvent itself in this competitive area and has a ways to go - if you can make it through the ride to the other side it could be rewarding; often challenging to bring in new ideas and technologies - frequently mired in the day to day.

People oriented company

IT Solutions Analyst (Current Employee) Middleton, WI

ProsVery high tech company working that is customer focus.

ConsCompetition in the telecommunications industry has resulted in yearly staffing reductions over the past 5 years.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Conservative telco

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDecent salary structure; most jobs are in Chicago, Madison

ConsA little stale with methodologies, culture and environment.

15 yrs of service, time to move on

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood people and benefits. A lot of upfront training which is good depending on the business unit you work in.

Conslimited growth opportunity. middle management in various technical dept has what seems to be a purpose of making things more complicated then they really are or need to be. a lot of time seems spent on reasons not to do something instead of reasons to do something. very political structure and too conservative.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many people in management positions who don't know what they are doing

Generally good, but beware of HR

IT Manager (Current Employee) Middleton, WI

ProsMost of the people there are good people that want to see you grow. The culture, the old culture that is hanging on, is a good one. People work hard and you are rewarded for your work.

ConsBeware of HR. They have proven themselves to be untrustworthy and have a very bad reputation in the organization, but they'll never learn about it because they don't want to know and the rule by fear. Personally, I've tested my HR rep by giving them confidential information and my leader knew what I'd told them within 2 days - twice this has happened. They also like to make threats and accusations that are completely unfounded - I've seen this happen to a number of people - usually to anyone that questions them or pushes back. They decide they don't like them and they start working to get them out. I'm not sure if it they are even aware. . . . Be particularly careful of the ER and CP.

Advice to Senior ManagementSurvey the employees and try to see what they actually think of HR and leardership. The employee survey isn't doing it.

It's been a mostly positive experience at an interesting company.

Tax Accountant (Current Employee) Middleton, WI

ProsGood leadership at the top.
    Conservative spending set the company up well for the recession.

ConsWork-life balance has suffered over the past couple years.

Sr. Management talks a good game on changing culture but is ineffective in implementing or influencing the employees.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Madison, WI

Proseducated work force and company emphasizes eduction for all employees.
    Benefits are equal or better than most other local companies.

ConsLack of communication from senior management
    Limited follow through on attempts to change corporate culture, more talk than action.
    Sr. Management does not follow competency model put forth for all employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo more than talking about creating a HOP and work with employees to make systemic changes to organization to achieve.

Worked for Telephone & Data Systems? Contribute to the Community!