Telephonics Reviews

Telephonics President and CEO Joseph J. Battaglia
Joseph J. Battaglia

1. Featured Review

Another Perspective

I have been working at Telephonics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Telephonics is a stable company. In fact, it is Long Island's largest aerospace and defense employer. The vast majority of the employees are a pleasure to work with - they are hardworking and sincere individuals. There are many healthy programs and a lot of interesting and challenging work opportunities. The benefits package is competitive. There are a variety of new technologies being developed and there are many new business pursuits that should keep the company growing in the coming years.

Cons

Telephonics is a large company that struggles to retain its small business roots. We are like a family - and EVERY family has members that, to be charitable, are unique. Some management decisions and policy changes could have been better communicated and explained to the employees.

Advice to Management

These comments are not for "Management," but for those seeking some insight into Telephonics. I have read the comments offered over the past few months and I don't really believe they accurately describe the company. Yes, like any company, we have struggled with some issues in recent years. I believe however, that there is much good that has been, and is being, accomplished. Some of the comments have apparently been made without all of the facts. For example, yes, Telephonics has had to make difficult business decisions during the past three years. We have done so to remain competitive in a difficult industry. By doing so, we were able to weather the storm of a deep recession and the Government-imposed "Sequestration," and have now returned to a period of headcount expansion. Yes, the raises have been modest for the past couple of years, but Telephonics, unlike many companies in our industry, continued to give regular (annual) merit increases throughout this period while other companies suspended or delayed reviews. I'm not sure where the "cash flow" comments arose. Yes, there has been a concerted effort to collect delinquent receivables - including small invoices. This simply represents good business practices. Telephonics is a wholly owned subsidiary of Griffon Corporation, a publicly held company. As such, there are often rumors about Telephonics being sold - there have been for more than three decades. This is not unique to Telephonics, but is a fact of life for any publicly traded corporation. I would say, although I don't have specific data to back this up, that the majority of people here at Telephonics feel the same way about the company as I do. We're not perfect, but there are many positive aspects to working here. If that were not the case, there would not be so many employees who have been here for 10, 15, 20, or more years. So, if you would like to share in a team-oriented environment, work on challenging and interesting projects, receive a competitive wage and benefits package, then Telephonics is definitely the place for you.

Great Start at Telephonics

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmingdale, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmingdale, NY

I have been working at Telephonics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is really innovative and has amazing technology. I am really enjoying learning about the company, meeting the people and learning about the products. My manager has been great at onboarding me into this role and my peers have been extremely welcoming.

Cons

Telephonics is working on implementing some creative ideas on flexibility. I look forward to seeing these ideas in action. I have no other comments.

Advice to Management

I would ask management to keep listening to their team members. I would encourage them to continue making changes to keep the company moving forward.

3. Making a move to LI

I have been working at Telephonics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Telephonics has made the transition to LI for my family and I very easy. The company provided a point person who has been available and able to answer all of our questions. I am in the position now and there are a lot of opportunities to make an impact. I am really enjoying the role. And the team at Telephonics have been very welcoming.

Cons

Have not found any at this time

Advice to Management

None at this time

There are better options

Former Employee - Product Manager in Farmingdale, NY
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Farmingdale, NY

I worked at Telephonics

Pros

The employees are generally nice. The workers are hard working and good people. They are the only thing that made it worth coming into work.

Cons

50+ hours a week are mandatory on most projects. Horrible yearly raises (1-2%). Ill informed upper management. Very old process that is only getting worse with time. Zero room for innovation. Sadly there is no future here. With pay well below average and hours getting longer, it is not a place for the young or the old.

Advice to Management

Start from scratch. I've read some of the other reviews on here... I think Upper management should read them too.. And don't brush them off or make fake reviews to counter them... do something about the problems!

On the mends

I have been working at Telephonics

Pros

Company has great people. Excellent technology and can apply it to new products.

Cons

The employees are looking for leadership. They need real change.

Advice to Management

Provide some new leadership methods. Find ways to improve the work environment.

Sinking Ship like the Costa Concordia!

Current Employee - Survivor in Farmingdale, NY
    Current Employee - Survivor in Farmingdale, NY

I have been working at Telephonics

Pros

Best Assets it's employees but than they are leaving the company before they are pushed out.

Cons

Arrogant incompetent bullies for leaders making decisions that make employees run out the door. Too many meaningless performance metrics and too little performers. Serious cash flow problems. Dated technology. No new business prospects in the future. Probably will be sold.

Advice to Management

Stop and listen to your employees - don't bully them into silence.

CLERICAL

Former Employee - Secretary in Farmingdale, NY
    Former Employee - Secretary in Farmingdale, NY

I worked at Telephonics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great co-workers. Company was great to work for in the beginning but deteriorated over the years. Half day Fridays was nice.

Cons

Too many chiefs not enough indians.

The president allows his personal feelings to affect his decisions.

After many years of loyal service they lay you off and escort you out like you commit a crime.

Advice to Management

Get rid of Joe Battaglia

A step Backwards In Time

I have been working at Telephonics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Hard pressed to fine too many good words for the Company over the last 4 years, other than the talented and dedicated employees who remain. A testament to the die-hard spirit that continues to live in the engineering and support staff of those who have yet to throw in the towel.

Cons

everything else; the reasons that attracted me to Telephonics have long since eroded over the last 4 years. It is understandable to reduce employee benefits and ask the staff to do "double duty" in the midst of economic hardships, but this is not the advertised situation at Telephonics. So why such an environment? Actions and words do not match......

Advice to Management

Take a step back in time and reflect on when Telephonics was both blessed with financial stability, enjoying healthy profitability, while still promoting an environment ingenuity, leading edge thinking and technology, and reinvestment in the future. Stop milking the past technology and move forward innovative thinking again,

It was a learning experience. So glad to be gone.

Former Employee - Quality in Huntington, NY
    Former Employee - Quality in Huntington, NY

I worked at Telephonics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people in the ranks. The pay was good, and health benefits were good. Friday half day off was also good.

Cons

Upper Management is terrible. Morale is low, turnover is high. Continuously shifting management strategies, allowing very little continuity and focus. The culture is poison.

Advice to Management

Cut the head off the snake, and maybe things will improve. Move away from the 1950's management methods, and empower employees to make decisions, instead of continuing with the culture of micro (mis) management. Working there, I felt like an abused spouse. Your treatment just gets worse and worse, and your expectations just gets lower and lower. My advice to the employees still there: get out. There are better opportunities out there. The salary may be good, but your self-worth is worth more.

This company is at serious risk of closing soon...

Former Employee - Program Manager in Farmingdale, NY
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Farmingdale, NY

I worked at Telephonics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Years ago, this company provided challenging work and produced products we were proud of. Those days are long gone as we continue to sell technology that is decades old with minimal improvement. It was embarrassing to put out such a poor product, and have customers complain about it constantly.
    Half days on Fridays are nice, but I rather work a full day Friday at a job I enjoy.

Cons

Management has gotten terrible. They sign up to unachievable schedules and then beat up the employees when the dates aren't met. There is absolutely no appreciation for hard work, and working late nights and weekends has become expected.

Advice to Management

Get in touch with the employees... VP level and above do not seem to know that every employee here is miserable, or they just don't care (I fear it's the latter). If things don't change soon, more and more good employees will continue to leave.