Telephonics

Joseph J. Battaglia

A survivor

Former Employee - Sales Management in Farmingdale, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Management in Farmingdale, NY

I worked at Telephonics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Politically-connected executives maintain steady flow of government contracts

Cons

Limited vision for new products

Isten to your middle managers

Telephonics is not the company it used to be and you can thank Joe Bataglia for that.

Former Employee - Associate Business Administrator in Farmingdale, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Business Administrator in Farmingdale, NY

I worked at Telephonics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people within the departments and middle management

Cons

After all of the layoffs the people who are left are overworked and aren' t compensated. Moral is awful.

When is Griffon going to wake up and get rid of Joe Bataglia?

Was Great - company is falling apart - morale is awful

Current Employee - Information Technology in Farmingdale, NY
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Farmingdale, NY

I have been working at Telephonics full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Half day fridays
    4 weeks vacation
    my team is very good
    Health insurance is pretty good

Cons

bonuses don't exist, raises have become minuscule, workload is heavy at times, upper management is unapproachable, layoffs across multiple years. engineers complain that we have no new technology for years on end.
    old world management style, unbelievably slow to make changes and only happens when something is completely broken

make it worthwhile for people to work here. you have taken away so much: vacation, perks, holiday party, etc. people are beat down and you never throw us a bone.

Exhausting

Former Employee - Engineer I in Farmingdale, NY
    Former Employee - Engineer I in Farmingdale, NY

I worked at Telephonics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Sadly there is really no Pros that can be said about this company

Cons

Everything is done as a constant fire drill. There is a constant state of panic because management is so poor at planning. The mandatory overtime eventually engulfs each project.
    Pay is at least 40% below average for a Professional Engineer
    Very old mentality with no willingness to adjust with the times

The CEO recently complained in Newsday that they can't get/keep young talent and it is the schools fault for letting them become "software coders". The fish stinks from the head. The management is more and more clueless as you get up the latter in this company. Instead of finding ways to attract young people, they want schools to stop teaching about new technologies that will get the students better pay. Sad.

Retire or start listening to your engineers. There are many talented engineers that are frustrated with managements lack of willingness to learn new things and adopt new methods. News flash... it's not the 1970's anymore.

Sad state of an "engineering" company

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Huntington, NY
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Huntington, NY

I have been working at Telephonics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have sold more systems in 3 years then I did the past 9.

Cons

Engineering is a joke. I get paid to do the same work an intern could do. Nothing new done in-house all new engineering tasks are out sourced to other companies. All engineers do is the paper work for the out sourced items and then test them when they come in.
    To keep up with the ridiculous schedules and costs most people are basically forced in 60 hours work weeks. No over time lousy benefits. Last year they reduced everyones vacation time which was already use it or lose it. No sick leave no compensation time.

I have been told by many people that it was not always the way it is now. That the company use to care out its employees and actually do some actually engineering.

Telephonics Crumbles

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Farmingdale, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Farmingdale, NY

I have been working at Telephonics full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The company is a major employer on Long Island. The Farmingdale building is located next to Republic Airport. (I'm struggling to come up with the 20 word minimum.)

Cons

Over-staffing and lack of accountability are widespread at Telephonics. Too often departments operate with insufficient consideration for their impact on other groups. At times, my impression is that mid-level management is more concerned with bloating their empires than with operating harmoniously with others.

Replace the top-level management with qualified individuals that better understand the industry and the operation of the company. The CEO appears to be terribly disconnected from the "conditions on the ground" within his own firm.

The Company That Was

Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Huntington, NY
    Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Huntington, NY

I worked at Telephonics full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Telephonics still retains some very talented people in various technical disciplines including system, mechanical, analog, RF, digital and software engineering.

Cons

Telephonics was a great company, but now has become a victim of its own success, largely due to poor top-level management. Starting in the 1990's, the company developed the AN/APS-147 and 153 - the most advanced Radars in the world - which continue to be the company's most successful products.

Unfortunately, the revenue generated by these (and other) programs is being squandered on bureaucratic waste instead of on strengthening the company for the future. While the company does sponsor research and development, these efforts are sporadically funded and hindered by bloated process restrictions and by a non-productive environment.

Stop directing the HR people to write false Glass Door reviews, and be more open minded to feedback.

Most challenging and interesting work in a very high tech Defense Industry!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I worked at Telephonics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation, holidays and leave best in the Defense Contracting Industry. All work classified so there was no work to take home. I was employed by the subsidiary of Telephonics, Systems Engineering Group in Columbia, MD. I learned more in this position which I created, than in any of my previous 15 years of DoD consulting!

Cons

Sometimes management direction was not clear and time could be spent going down the wrong path. Because Telephonics purchased SEG in early 2006, it was inevitable that the large Company mentality and overhaul of benefits would take place. Health benefits became mediocre, and there was more interference from Telephonics Corporate.

This old adage should apply: "If it isn't broke, don't fix it".

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Lead Assembler in Huntington Station, NY
    Current Employee - Lead Assembler in Huntington Station, NY

I have been working at Telephonics full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

people are great company takes good care of their employees

Cons

i really didnt have any

Leadership Problems

I have been working at Telephonics as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Great capable people. Leadership ruins the vast possibilities for company's success.

Cons

Leadership problems. Much unnecessary work is caused by bad decisions of those that are distant from the actual problems.

You have great people working in the company. Nurture them, and you will have an unstoppable force.