Telgian Reviews

James W. Tomes

Making changes to improve

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Telgian full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Telgian is going through a lot of change and growth right now, which is opening the door of opportunity to employees. They like to promote from within, and support employees when they want to grow in their career. They even give tuition reimbursement if you want to go back to school. We are moving to a new office building and the company is providing a Market in the breakroom, a company paid coffee bar, a recreation room with a pool table and video games, larger high wall cubicles, and lots of other cool things. Every month the company provides a lunch for employees, and they give prizes away to employees that have been nominated by their supervisors for going above and beyond. Each quarter they give a grand prize which are things like shopping sprees, cruises and trips. The company is investing time and money into training for supervisors and employees. They are starting a program for new employees so they get the training they need. The benefit package is better than any company I have seen. The company pays 80% of the medical premium, even if you have dependents!! The company even pays for life insurance and long term disability. Like I said, there is A LOT of change going on right now, but it seems like Telgian is moving in a really great direction and I am glad that I get to go along for the ride! We have had some rough times over the last 6 or 7 years, but I feel like we are coming out of it now and that management has been listening to the employees and are working towards making positive changes. The executives seem really excited for the future, and that makes the employees excited too.

Cons

Over the last 6 or 7 years, Telgian has not given a lot of raises. There are some employees that haven't received a raise in over 5 years. Management has said that they are reviewing compensation and are hoping to get back to more regular raises. The executives have good ideas and want to try new ventures, but they need to focus and plan better so those ventures and ideas can be successful. Sometimes the company can be reactive instead of proactive, and this is difficult on the employees that are impacted. During the recession, like many other companies, Telgian had to downsize and this meant that the employees who were still here had to take on more work. This has been difficult and sometimes it burned us out. We seem to be growing and hiring more people, so I'm hoping that this will get better too.

Advice to Management

Stay focused and be proactive. New ideas, new customers, and new ventures are how we are going to grow, but plan appropriately and take the time to implement these things correctly so they are successful. Bring together everyone that will be impacted so you can get feedback at the beginning of the process, instead of at the end when everyone is scrambling. Your employees have great ideas and want the company to be successful so listen to them and let's see just how far we can go as a team!

Aug 24, 2015 – Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback! We value input from our associates as one of the most important sources of information in determining how well we are performing and what we can do better. As a current ... More

2. Developer

Former Employee - Developer in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Developer in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Telgian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Centrally located. Up to date on technology. Near airport

Cons

Huge disconnect between management and employees. Complete lack of of professionalism.

Advice to Management

Take a very close look at the middle management, and there behavior towards there people. It will be tough considering they are always covering their tracks. Good Luck.

Aug 24, 2015 – Human Resources

On behalf of Telgian, we are sorry to hear you did not have a positive experience working with our company. We do take associate feedback very seriously and take action to correct concerns when ... More

KEEP LOOKING...don't work here!

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Telgian full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Paycheck. Work. Job. Better than unemployment. Not the worst place to work.

Cons

There are too many to name, but a few you would want and need to know. 1. Huge turnover. There's a revolving door at this place. If you need a job, take what they offer. But, keep looking. This company is not a conducive environment to have a long term career. 2. Family owned and managed business. Nepotism abounds at this place. Blood thicker than water and you will be reminded daily of CEO's kids, wife, dad, family and why they are the greatest people in the world. 3. Compensation. No merit increases. Managers don't receive bonuses, as there's always a reason why the company feel short of plan, which is beyond your control, but the reason why you will not get paid the bonus you worked your tail off to get! Often sales people are let go prior to being paid commissions, but after the sale is made! Go figure! 4. Poor working conditions. The main office in Tempe, AZ is basically a warehouse converted into an open office environment. It's hot in the summer and cold in winter. When it rains, roof leaks. The landlord of the building is actually members of the company board of directors. So go figure that one out. The company pays rent to the few owners of the company, who work at the company, like the CEO and other VPs at the company. It is interesting when the rent goes up on the building. The board is actually raising the operating cost of the company, which affects the available profit left over at end of year. If the profit is too low, no bonuses are paid out! See the conflict with this? 5. Moral. Company moral is low. Employees don't like their jobs. Employees feel trapped, somewhat. Senior leadership like to throw out incentives, like hunting and fishing trips to employees in an attempt to motivate behavior. The problem is the goals are way too unrealistic. So instead of motivating the employees, it undermines their effort. If the company averages $1million dollars profit each year, for example, offering the employees a company trip if the company earns $5 million dollars profit, is unrealistic and it just sounds good to the executives bloviating the goals! 6. Business model doesn't fit outside low margin, discount customers. They sell low price inspections, using subcontractor labor, which 90% of the customers want it's a strang model.

Advice to Management

Management is clueless, so best advice is given to employees! Mgt will not listen or change anything. Employees should just find a better job and move on. No company is perfect. This one is really bad, so best advice to people considering joining this company is to keep looking. Save yourself the drama and headache, keep looking!

Aug 24, 2015 – Human Resources

On behalf of Telgian, we are sorry to hear you did not have a positive experience working with our company. Given we have experienced zero turnover in our Customer Service supervisor/manager roles in ... More

Avoid at all costs!

Pros

Some of the management team is professional and will listen

Cons

Board of Directors and all C-Level Executives are ineffective and only care about themselves and their "status" Too many ego's and too heavy on the executive end and not enough worker bee's to handle the work load. They rush you through projects with little or no information up front and then when change orders or dissatisfied clients complain, it's your fault! CULTURE & VALUE: They talk a good talk, but none of the Executive Board live up to what they preach. They're god-fearing, church going morals are all talk. Take a trip with them some time to a convention and watch those morals be left on the side of the road!

Aug 24, 2015 – Human Resources

On behalf of Telgian, we are sorry to hear you did not have a positive experience working with our company. With respect to your opinions about our executive staff and work environment in general ... More

6. Have No Idea What They're Doing

Pros

It's a paycheck. Nothing else.

Cons

Department manager has massive anger management issue. You will get no training. God forbid if you don't fall into one of the Supervisor's cliques. You'll be out the door. More time spent gossiping about other workers than working. Very angry contractors due to rate and payment issues.

Advice to Management

You're going in 100 directions at the same time. For the most part, we never saw you on the floor. Quit trying to drive a square peg into a round hole and pick something you might be good at. Failing that, sell the business to another company that has some idea about the industry.

Aug 24, 2015 – Human Resources

On behalf of Telgian, we are sorry to hear you did not have a positive experience working with our company. Your observations about a lack of training and efficient business processes is certainly ... More

7. Constant Change

I have been working at Telgian full-time

Pros

They feed you once a month, have monthly and quarterly prizes (if lucky enough to get nominated), and an ok benefits package.

Cons

Most people have not had a raise in 5 or more years. They don't listen to the little guy, and make executive changes every 6 - 12 months. Have crazy travel schedules and no remote working (telecommuting), except for certain people in certain areas.

Advice to Management

Need to have better training, more room for advancement, and better compensation.

8. Sales department

Former Employee - National Sales Representative in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - National Sales Representative in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Telgian full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My paycheck posted and cleared every two weeks. Company leaders are clueless about what to do to right size the company. This means they will pay you to be the next miracle cure. Take the money and do your best. Eventually you will be fired. Everyone is fired at this company. CEO fired his dad, company founder and he put his wife on a PIP. Crazy mgt here.

Cons

Crazy mgt. CEO is main reason company fails. He should be fired. But board won't fire him so they struggle and fail.

Advice to Management

Message to board: fire CEO and his staff.

Great team work environment.

Former Employee - Field Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Field Consultant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Telgian full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people I worked with were great, we had a tuff schedule but everyone worked together.

Cons

For 6 years I loved the company, they made some stupid VP changes and it went to hell in our division. They expect you to travel all week long, come in on Fridays and get all reports in by Monday also all your expenses in too. Very demanding travel schedule for a family person. Poor training opportunities, special health benefits options if you live in California, special training opportunities for certain departments, special outings for certain offices, if you work from home you don't receive anything. Open ended promises with executive management receiving raises and bonuses while the little guys make the money. I worked there 7 years with only 1 raise, it wasn't because I didn't work hard either. I was the go to guy if they needed a project taken care of at the last minute or needed a report out ASAP. I spent countless of hours in hotel rooms up late at night and weekends working. The salary was decent until you figured a 80 hour week into it, then you made minimum wage or less.

Advice to Management

Show equal training opportunities across the board, listen to your little guys not the supervisors. Don't offer out of state opportunity's, move the employee and then make the employee work from home without office compensation or allowing to open a small office, bad management practices. Look at workers performance and not the good ole boy system when promoting. Don't hold a grudge against an employee if they messed up several years ago and pass them up for promotions several times. Your executive who is suppose yo be running the company is speaking all over the world about fire protection on Telgians dime.

Hated the company...loved the work.

Former Employee - Routing and Scheduling Coordinator in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Routing and Scheduling Coordinator in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Telgian full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots to learn about the industry and it was encouraged.

Cons

Very Political and gossipy...less about how good you are at your job and more about who likes you.

Advice to Management

Stop listening to gossip...you have lost alot of really good employees because of personal issues.

11. Unorganized Chaos

Former Employee - Contracting Specialist in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Contracting Specialist in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Telgian full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Casual, laid back atmosphere, very teamwork driven and oriented. New hires treated very well, good benefits package. Monthly meal provided at company expense.

Cons

Complete lack of training as it pertains to the job duties expected. Lack of clear communication and organization. Unreliable and outdated technology and telephone system, outdated and inefficient methods of daily business practices make the already impossible workload and current processes run even more inefficiently. Employees very rarely get to take their allotted breaks or lunches due to the immense workload placed on each person despite the teamwork and helpfulness of co-workers. Expect to work at least ten hours a day six days a week and still not reach a level of manageability in your workload, for being "caught up" on work does not happen here, at all, in any department.

Advice to Management

Be honest and upfront with new hires about the workload and hours of overtime they are expected to work. Develop a consistent, JOB RELATED training program for new hires. Develop a more efficient system across each department, decreasing workload and allowing for the company to run like a well oiled machine.

RSS Feed </> Embed