TellApart

Updated October 10, 2014
Updated October 10, 2014
4.9

Josh McFarland

Amazing team and industry-leading technology

I have been working at TellApart full-time

Pros

TellApart's biggest strength is its team - through rigorous interviewing processes, the company has assembled a group of really impressive people. As a result, not only is TellApart's platform outperforming competitive solutions by huge margins, by the company culture is a lot of fun. It's nice to be surrounded by people who are as adept at tackling data science and machine learning as they are at camping, going to a ballgame, or throwing a great party.

Cons

The organization is relatively flat, which means there aren't a lot of opportunities for advancement. However, it also means direct access to everybody in the company.

With so many smart people in the same office, it sometimes feels like you can ask the same question of 5 different people to get 5 different answers. More focus on strategy, vision and formalization of processes would help everybody be more effective and efficient.

You can definitely Tell Apart this company from the others

I have been working at TellApart full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Strong, talented and hardworking team.
    Thriving business.
    Thin on head count - lots of opportunities to own projects.
    Open culture.
    Fun and approachable colleagues.

Cons

If you're not used to a less structured environment and you need direction, you may find it difficult to adapt. If you embrace it, however, you will most certainly become more resourceful, adaptable and independent - traits valued by any team you join in the future.

Keep the flat hierarchy and transparent culture. Continue hiring employees who can be trusted to make decisions. Make diversity a core focus as the company grows.

I love my job!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlingame, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlingame, CA

I have been working at TellApart full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This is a fantastic place to work. TellApart has built a top notch team by implementing a very thorough hiring process. Working here is a chance to mingle with some of the best and brightest people in the Bay Area. Not to mention the beautiful offices and some sweet perks! For me, the best part is that TellApart's been able to maintain the culture of a small, tight knit team as the company continues to grow, which is impressive.
    The work itself is interesting but challenging and can be quite demanding at times, especially during the busy season. You have to be prepared to work hard and learn a ton.

Cons

The number of holidays per year and the health/ dental coverage could use a little improvement but i'm almost knit picking here.

Keep on doing what you're doing.

TellApart is the blueprint of how to build a successful company

Current Employee - Technical Solutions Engineer in Burlingame, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Solutions Engineer in Burlingame, CA

I have been working at TellApart full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Tellapart has managed to attract, and keep, a critical mass of talent and human intelligence by relying on a very selective and thorough hiring process. The result is world-class engineering team, propelled by stellar talent in the business department. CEO and founder Josh McFarland is a brilliant man who is very well connected and well respected CEO in the Silicon Valley. The VP of Engineering - Wade Chambers, relaying on his vast experience and wisdom, has transformed the engineering department. With Mr.Chambers at helm, identifying and attracting exceptional talent has become much easier.

All things aside, one thing that separates TellApart from other high-flying start-ups is the respect and appreciation they are showing to their employees, which has resulted in employee morale levels reaching that of comradery.

Cons

The office is located in Burlingame which is not even a problem because the Caltrain station is literally a stone's throw away. 20 word minimum has been successfully reached.

I hope many companies will adopt your approach how to run a company.

Really enjoyed working at TellApart and would definitely recommend

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Burlingame, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Burlingame, CA

I worked at TellApart as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Strong Leadership
    Great Mentorship
    Challenging Problems
    Really smart coworkers

Cons

It's still a young company so there isn't as much process and that may be a bad thing

Super strong team that's making a big impact.

I have been working at TellApart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

TellApart is a small, agile company where individuals are empowered to make data-driven decisions. The culture is one of transparency and shipping products, where process is added only when useful.

Across the board, TellApart is composed of high-performing individuals. I've never seen a company come anywhere close to TellApart in terms of how consistent each employee is in terms of strength, intelligence and aptitude.

TellApart employees focus their strengths on growing the company as a team and delivering great products. TellApart's revenue and market presence is continuing to go up and to the right.

Cons

With great power comes great responsibility. TellApart is a great fit for strong contributors, but is not a good place for people that aren't team players or that want to get lost in the shadows and coast.

TellApart's products and thought leadership have the potential to change the face of e-marketing. Let's continue to get out there and make our presence known!

Amazing team

I have been working at TellApart full-time (less than an year)

Pros

TellApart gives the opportunity to work with the absolute best people in silicon valley. Nowhere else is there a star-studded start-up that is large enough to have a huge impact on our clients and industry, while being small and agile enough where individual contributions change the course of the business. TellApart is changing the world of advertising and ecommerce and its exciting to be a major part of the change.

Cons

The stakes are high. On a small team with huge clients, you're personally responsible for driving millions of dollars of revenue. There's no room for mistakes in the major league, but its very exciting!

The Management team has done an amazing job of identifying the long term strategic objectives and while focusing on only the most important tactical work.

Great place to start!

I have been working at TellApart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

In my opinion, the most important thing is the emphasis on growth. Joining right out of college, having a team of strong engineers to learn from has been great. There is an abundance of difficult problems that need solving, and having actual ownership of a part of the system makes the work more meaningful and exciting.

Cons

The office is well furnished, but it can get really loud. Commuting from the city can be annoying, but that could be a lot worse.

Continue pushing and empowering employees!

It's like no other place I have ever worked!

I have been working at TellApart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazing people to work with and a fantastic team culture that focuses on collaboration. I was initially attracted to the scope of and complexity of the technical challenges TellApart is trying to solve which was impressive to me. In the end, I decided to reject my other offers from big-name companies to work here and I've been really happy with my decision so far. The variety of things to work on and the mobility within the teams have pretty much reduced my chances of getting bored here to almost zero.

Cons

If you want to work somewhere where you can try to out-cool others with your solutions, this is not the place for you. If you're easily distracted, the open work area of our office can be tough to get used too.

Never be afraid to ask for insights from all levels of employees, even interns. Stay transparent.

Awesome place to work

I have been working at TellApart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There's a worldclass engineering team bent on continuous iteration. The team moves extremely fast, but at the same time, pays close attention to software engineering details like code and design reviews. The VP of engineering has taken multiple companies public and has really turned the engineering/hiring trajectory of the company around in recent months. There are many technical challenges to solve on a daily basis.

As a company, TellApart is still small enough that you can get to know every other employee, and it is great to be able to feel the energy and the vibe of a startup every day.

Cons

The current main working space (currently), is not super conducive to quiet working (It's built out of a former auto shop, and there's a lot of echoing going on.

Continue being transparent as possible with the employees - it's been great so far.