Telligen

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jeff Chungath

I was employed by Telligen from January 2005 until July 2013.

Senior Review Coordinator (Former Employee)

I worked at Telligen full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWonderful company to work for! They perform contracted work and three separate times when a contract either expired or was awarded to another company, Telligen found work for me within a different contract - work that I could continue to do from my home office!

ConsUnfortunately there wasn't any work available for me unless I wanted to move to the Des Moines area (which isn't possible) or have a nursing degree of some kind (which I don't).

Great place to learn about healthcare.

I have been working at Telligen

ProsGreat staff, Good Benefits, Great Exposure to the Healthcare Industry.

ConsContract Work, Can be stressful

Learning opportunities with some pros but..

Senior Programmer Analyst (Former Employee)
West Des Moines, IA

I worked at Telligen full-time for more than a year

ProsWorking with some good people that have excellent technical skills and plethora of good technologies around to work. Nice focus upon health and is a casual environment. Decent agile methodology.

ConsManagement is less than great communicators and there is almost a too casual environment with many chiefs trying to run the ship with constantly changing directions. This provides little consistency from one week (or sprint) to the next. Management is too focused upon short term items rather than developing long term solutions. Senior management only have 3 year plans versus 5 and 10 year. There is a misogynistic feel to the culture too.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop long term professional development for teams and the organization.

neutral

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Telligen full-time

Prosenjoyed the people I worked with

Consleadership needs improvement, don't value employees

Advice to Senior Managementlisten

Gained a lot of good experience, but flexibility shown to employes in my department is poor

Nurse Case Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Telligen full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat, knowledgable co-workers, good teamwork, a variety of case types.

ConsProduction requirements are very high, seem unattainable without putting in a lot of extra hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementCould add some flexibility by allowing employes to take 1/2 day off without showing them on production for 8 hours.

Pretty good

Programmer Analyst (Former Employee)
West Des Moines, IA

I worked at Telligen full-time for less than a year

ProsVery relaxed work environment, Casual dress, very nice location if you are looking for des moines area.

ConsNot great benefits or compensation. Work is very dependent on contracts.

Was a company with lot of opportunity, and growth

Software Development Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Telligen full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFlexible work environment
Opportunities for growth

ConsDependent completely on contract work especially on Federal

GOod place

Senior Programmer Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Telligen full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood place to work for.

ConsWish the benefits re better.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen outlook

A lackluster place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Telligen

ProsThere is some opportunity to advance within the company, and the starting pay was fair. Also, a lot of people seem to be satisfied with their managers. I wasn't, but it's a big enough environment that you might luck out. On the plus side, I did get plenty of (constructive) feedback and praise from my manager, and plenty of face-time, despite other issues.

The company did adequately communicate benefits and organization information I needed to know. There is a good focus on health and wellness on a company-wide level (though it would be nice to see more action rather than words, e.g. fitness facilities). The physical facilities were pleasant.

ConsThere are far too many managers, and levels of management, for the number of workers. This has led to a difficult, bureaucratic gridlock in all too many cases. There is little to no contact with managers above your own manager. The company only solicits feedback by a large company-wide survey, never through direct contact with people lower on the ladder. Further, bizarre management territoriality issues seem to be rampant. All too often, earnest attempts to improve processes are met head-on by department managers unwilling to discuss or consider change (and note, about 1/3 of the staff are 'managers') despite potential benefits to everyone. This is not an organization that handles, or manages, change well at all.

I also found the environment fairly dehumanizing. Managers I knew and interacted with frequently often forgot my name well into my tenure. Managers seldom seemed to socialize with lower-level employees on even the level of pleasantries. A few even acted in a way that was clearly disrespectful. Managers quibbled over points of minutia: for example, my manager frequently dressed down other team members for being two minutes late or taking a break slightly too long, which seems a ridiculous way to treat professionals (note that these weren't entry level workers, these were experienced technical staff). I found even minor scheduling requests to be insufferably difficult to get accommodated -- it was easier simply to take a vacation day even if I would just need to leave ten minutes early. So many policies or management decisions left me thinking "Why?"

There were major disconnects between job responsibility stated in the interview and what I ended up actually doing, both in terms of tasks and in terms of work schedule. For example, serious impacts on personal time-- such as ongoing on-call status without compensation -- should be disclosed during the hiring process, not after the employee has started working.

The company is also having a big problem getting new contracts and it's not very stable, leading to frequent layoffs. I was hired just a few months before other people in the department with similar responsibilities were laid off. The company was happily hiring away on contracts just about to expire, only to massively lay off people they'd only recently recruited. The company was also frequently dishonest or misleading about potential future contracts; my manager was frequently promising new opportunities on the horizon for contracts we had yet to win, leading to disappointment and anger.

For all of the above reasons, many of the remaining employees are people who match the environment: dull, inflexible, unyielding, and uncooperative. There are, of course, exceptions that I very much enjoyed dealing with, but for the most part I found the culture toxic and the environment insufferable.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart taking a long, hard look on a) how much management you really need and b) how effective they are. Having face-to-face contact with people your managers are managing would be ideal. Winning contracts is important, but the deep morale and organizational problems need to be investigated. Foster an environment of change -- look into Lean Six Sigma -- involve people in improvement.

Very good experience with lot of opportunities for growth

Web Product Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Telligen

Pros- good life work balance
- opportunities for growth
- good benefits

Cons- lost big contract and downsizing

Advice to Senior Managementinvest more on own product development

Worked for Telligen? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Telligen reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Telligen CEO Jeff Chungath. All 17 reviews posted anonymously by Telligen employees.