Telltale Games

Dan Connors

Interview and Onboarding Process

Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator
    Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator

I have been working at Telltale Games full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I recently started at Telltale and the interview and onboarding process were both very organized. I was fairly nervous based on the previous reviews I had read, but my experience was very positive. They were very prompt in their correspondence both leading up to the interview and after the interview when I bombarded them with 8,437 questions. (I like to make sure all of my questions are answered when considering any type of change.) Everyone has been very welcoming and I'm looking forward to growing at the company.

Cons

I have just begun working here recently and the only con for me is the amount of candy around this place. it's dangerous.

A great place to work.

I have been working at Telltale Games full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazing IP, plenty of opportunity for growth, a fun and easygoing work environment. Lots of opportunities for creative input and work. Fantastic projects, great people, competitive benefits and a beautiful location

Cons

Pace can be rapid and communication sometimes becomes challenging

Keep up the great work!

culture of fear

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA

I worked at Telltale Games full-time (more than an year)

Pros

genuine enthusiasm for making good products

Cons

management doesn't care about employees, abuses them

Stay away.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Telltale Games full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Dogs in the office. Met some great people. You don't need to ever go home because the couches are nice to sleep on.

Cons

This is the worst job I've ever had. Stay away from this place. It was the most toxic work environment I've ever worked in. Way too many meetings. Too much power is placed in too few people, so nothing gets done while other people are tied up in meetings. The micro management was awful, the scheduling was impossible (mandatory "volunteer" crunch time every week - 10-12 hour days 7 days a week, and if you don't do it, don't expect to get promoted!), and the people in charge of every department have no compassion. A huge culture of backstabbing and fear.

Don't marginalize people. Everyone is valuable. Let people have a world outside the office. Allow the people you hired to do their jobs and not to live in the culture of fear you currently promote.

Fun company, great people and exciting IP's

I have been working at Telltale Games full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working with such talented people is very inspiring, surprisingly there are no egos on the studio floor and everyone is always happy to help! Being part of making Episodic games is fast moving, and fun, always lots to celebrate.

Cons

Lots of last minute unplanned meetings can be a bit frustrating.

Great opportunity to learn & grow your creative/technical/development chops!

I have been working at Telltale Games

Pros

- Working on great IP & putting out really compelling stories.
     - Doing something not many other game companies do well - episodic gaming
     - Great benefits - better than some of the bigger companies Ive been at
     - Ability to actually ship games. With an episodic schedule you can get a number of titles under your belt in a short time compared to games with a much longer development cycle
     - Work/Life balance & flexibility - been in the entertainment/gaming space for over a decade and can honestly say the flexibility and hours people work here are incredibly reasonable.

Cons

- lots of meetings, same people required for decisions are tied up in all of the meetings
     - growing pains...company almost doubled in size in the last 2+ years and is adjusting to the changes that brings

Trust in your team more. You have smart, creative, hard-working people that only want to contribute as much as they can...Delegate!!

A combination of some of the best and many of the worst aspects of the gaming industry.

I worked at Telltale Games full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Many talented, wonderful, creative people working passionately on critically-acclaimed video games.

Cons

Mismanagement of human, financial, and temporal resources leads to an extremely stressful and often toxic environment.

When you plan schedules and projects, don't treat your employees like they are fuel to burn. Just because they somehow manage to complete games on an absurdly-compressed schedule doesn't mean you should keep milking them for every drop on every project. They are human beings who are giving up hours and days with their friends and family (usually for unpaid overtime) to make these miracles happen. Yes, the company has bills to pay and yes, there are an inexhaustible number of starry-eyed folks willing to suffer to be in the game industry that you can mill through, but taking a moment to get your ducks in a line and reconsider some of your practices will ultimately lead to a stronger team that produces better work and doesn't bleed off employees. Establish consistent and realistic project management, fix core technologies so people aren't fighting with deadlines AND the engine when trying to get their work done, and try to remember that if you expect your employees to constantly make sacrifices for you, you should be willing to make some sacrifices for them.

Can be comfortable to stay, but not for very long

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Telltale Games full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great medical and 401k benefits. An interesting bonus rewards program. Friendly (most of the time) and talented team members to work with. Very creative community that express themselves.

Cons

Leadership is scattered and sometimes ignored resulting in wrong decisions being made or wasted time, and it trickles down the pipeline. Ridiculously high expectations, along with below average pay and wage increases. Constant crunches due to episodic releases of game titles.

Keep in communication with the whole team, not just the leads. Some meeting notes would be nice to have. Have more company events when staff are actually at the company. Schedule dates that makes sense and account of mistakes that WILL be made.

Look elsewhere. This place is exceedingly toxic.

Former Employee - QA Lead in San Rafael, CA
    Former Employee - QA Lead in San Rafael, CA

I worked at Telltale Games full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I did meet some cool people and make some great friends.
    You will also get to meet some amazingly talented people.
    You won't need to pay rent because you will be expected to live at the office.
    All of the extreme pizza you can eat.
    No need for a spouse life partner. The Tool will give you all the love you need.

Cons

Management is utterly incompetent.
    The Tool is a one of the worst pieces if software ever created by man.
    If you don't work overtime all the time you'll be in the dog house (<1% raise.).
    If you complain about too much crunch you'll be given the "games can be lucrative" talk.
    You good ideas will be stolen and bad ideas will be blamed on the team.
    They can't give you a raise because then they'd have to give everyone a raise.
    Appearances(being in the office all the time) are more important than productivity.
    Your ability to stroke ego will get you farther than any job skills.
    If you tell them where you are going when you leave some of the higher ups will try to sabotage your egress.
    One of my testers had a death in the family, he was told "you can mourn after we get Walking Dead out". Seriously, I was given no end of flack about him asking for time off in the middle of crunch.

Seriously this is the WORST place I've ever worked. I have never worked that hard to be marginalized. Now I work in REAL software and make about 4X what I made at TTG. You guys need to be better to your people. QA is not lucrative. Programming is not the only valuable role.

The Magic Wears Off Quickly

Former Employee - QA Tester in San Rafael, CA
    Former Employee - QA Tester in San Rafael, CA

I worked at Telltale Games full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great coworkers, great office space, cohesive team mentality

Cons

If you don't work 14-17 hour days, 7 days a week the week prior to a title release, you're basically not going to be on the good side of management. QA is basically given hours to complete tasks that should be given weeks time, QA management has poor leadership skills, upper management is vindictive, sometimes vague job roles that lead to confusion and errors, false promises of upward career mobility, swaths of employees terminated en masse with no explanations (legal but rude)

Plan ahead, far in advance. Set realistic goals for your QA department. Employees that want to have personal lives are still committed to the job; don't reward the people that give their entire lives