Telmate Reviews

1. Looks great on the outside, but needs to trust its leaders

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Telmate

Pros

Great technology. Cool industry. Fantastic co-workers. Interesting challenges.

Cons

The two founders/owners made themselves CEO and President, rather than what their skills truly lend them to be, Head of Engineering and Head of Sales respectively. They are good people, but not good executives or good at running a company. Decision making is bottle-necked as all decisions must go through them or the wife of one of the founders.

Advice to Management

Hire thought leaders in various areas (e.g., engineering, marketing, finance) and then TRUST THEM to lead. Give them budgets and let them make their own decisions. Oversight is fine; but a complete lack of authority to run their departments is not the way to make your leaders (or your company) succeed.

2. Great work environment!!!

I have been working at Telmate full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, team lunches, vibrant office, wonderful co-workers

Cons

Fast-pace environment that can change quickly to stay ahead of the market
    A lot of juggling

3. Fun place, good people, stay on your A game. Gorgeous views, great location, a lot of creativity going on here.

I have been working at Telmate

Pros

Fun place, good people, many opportunities to show up and do a great job. Values, good people, a good spirit. A great stage of a company to be at--thriving, growing, dynamic.

Cons

You have to be on your game! This isn't really a "con", but this is a place where you are expected to really show up, and bring your A Game, to use another cliché.

5. I have been with Telmate for over a year now and I love the fun and collaborative culture we have.

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Telmate full-time (More than a year)

Pros

fun culture, nice office, great co-workers, meaningful work, great perks

Cons

I wish we had more vacation time than 1-2 weeks a year.

6. I found work heaven...

Current Employee - IT Support in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - IT Support in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Telmate full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Self-managed teams, a Director that is professional and listens to your concerns and needs. The location is amazing, right in the center of the Financial District, China Town, near north beach and a few minutes from Union Square. Very smart people with great ideas and innovation. Great catered meals, snacks and break area.

Cons

The biggest con right now are the growing pains and implementing enterprise solutions that are manageable instead of complete home grown solutions. Change is tough at any time in a company but totally expected and needed with massive growth! Documentation is pretty scarce but offers a challenge in correcting that issue.

Advice to Management

With all the growth going on, some sort of guideline must be established to define the role of Product Owners in each group.

The stars have finally aligned.

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Telmate full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Telmate has a strong and passionate development team that is working with cutting edge technologies. We're fortunate to work in a spectacular work environment and an interesting and cool market, all with an opportunity to make a real and positive social impact.

Cons

It can be in incredibly fast work pace. And like with many leadership companies, market demands and priorities can often result in difficult trade-offs.

Advice to Management

Empower employees with more product ownership along with accountability, and hold individuals accountable for product performance and a positive user experience.

8. Fun, relaxed cool place to work and be innovative!

Current Employee - Instructional Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Instructional Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Telmate full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Gorgeous view of the bay, beautiful office, open environment, lots of delicious free-food, fast-paced environment with no red tape. Young and silly atmosphere. Not too many egos. All Macs! Really nice, smart people to work with.

Cons

No processes, documentation, procedures, a bit chaotic - but that can be a plus if you're the type of person who likes a lot of freedom.

Advice to Management

Although I'm not a fan of middle management, you still need someone to oversee bigger area like Customer Experience - someone who can tie everything together for each product and ensure quality and consistency.

9. Culture is fun, innovative and creative. Workplace is well equipped and in a great location. Awesome perks.

I have been working at Telmate full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Collaborative environment. High-performing and talented work teams.

Cons

I wouldn't mind more vacation time but it's not a deal-breaker considering all that the company has to offer.

Advice to Management

Please keep up the good work hiring talented and driven employees.

10. Innovative environment, excellent work-life balance!

I worked at Telmate full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot less trendy of an industry than most you can find in San Francisco; but Telmate is so forward-thinking, you'll hardly notice. Management is progressive when approaching every aspect of the business -- from the technology itself to the slick work environment to their respect for work-life balance.

Cons

Salary is not really competitive for a major city.

Fun, low stress environment with lots to learn.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Telmate full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the fact that the office is pretty much empty by five and that walking around you'll see a lot of smiles and conversations of people planning, teaching and learning. The views are beautiful as is the office space. Semi annual raises are a big perk. Encouraged and sponsored continued learning as well as support for evolving technologies is appreciated and not taken for granted. Salaries are great. Four catered meals a week plus massages and beer are nice. Very low drama and lots of laughter.

Cons

Vacation time sucks, so does our dental insurance. Like, it's pretty much non existent.
    We change priorities suddenly and without warning so you can't really stay personally invested in any project. Referral fees are way below market rate. Hr doesn't exist. Every six months it seems like there's some big reorg. No stock options or bonuses.

Advice to Management

Get better dental insurance and give us more vacation when we've been there a while.