Telogis Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.5
Dave Cozzens

Challenging environment, but with great upside

Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Telogis full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Telogis is like many tech companies looking to grow rapidly. This makes for a creative, collaborative, and challenging environment. This isn't the right fit for everyone, but it is a great fit for those looking to be continually challenged, offered creative and diverse projects, and those looking to develop new critical skill sets. Yes, there are individual cases of poor management. Yes, there is constant change and adaptability is required. Having said that, it is one of the most unique and supportive environments I have observed for people who are willing to work hard and get compensated and development opportunities in return. Like many challenging roles, there are times that are more demanding than others. On the whole, work life balance is attainable. This is not a cushy "show up and get paid" environment - which is precisely why many people thrive. There is a real opportunity for individuals in all roles to effect change.

Cons

I wouldn't note it as a con so much as I would say: adaptability, creativity, and being willing to take risks is required. This is great for many, but not for others.

Advice to Management

Consider a more transparent style of communication on business goals. While I have never experienced an issue with this, I see in reviews it is an issue. It looks like several planned projects address this in the next year.

Everything you could want in an employer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aliso Viejo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aliso Viejo, CA

I have been working at Telogis full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exceptionally challenging and fast paced environment where self starters and results based thinking is rewarded. There is never a dull moment and ideas are always accepted and collaboratively evaluated. The company takes very good care of its employees outside of compensation in terms of flexibility and ease of "staff" work that may take away from overall productivity.

Cons

None. Plain and simple. With a dramatically growing company, there is always a lot of work to be done and thus the number of hours to complete everything is often rather high, but it is the fast paced software industry, so no surprises.

Advice to Management

Don't change a thing. BY FAR the best executive team I have seen in my career. From the CEO to marketing, to engineering, to even internal IT it is incredible as everything is just done at a level that denotes best practice and confidence.

Like Two Different Companies

I worked at Telogis full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice facilities. Some interesting technologies to work with.

Cons

R&D Organization functions completely separately from the rest of the company. If you work in New Zealand, then you are inherently smarter, more skilled, consistently infallible and better looking than anyone in North America. If you are in North America, then you are an under-educated, minimally skilled and borderline competent drone. Development organization is run by a narcissistic control-freak who is never wrong. If you like being a scapegoat for the founders' dumb mistakes, then you will do well here.

Advice to Management

For some people, a little success is the worst possible outcome because they become convinced that everything they do is right and they stop listening to anyone else.

This company has INTEGRITY.

Current Employee - Product Manager in Aliso Viejo, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Aliso Viejo, CA

Pros

Telogis lives up to their reputation as a premier brand, lives out the company's values, and invents superior products. Management views employees and customers as ASSETS.

Cons

There are no cons working at Telogis. Everyone works hard, is creative, and smart. Super positive culture to work in if you want to make a difference in the office and globally. Telogis even threw a wedding for an employee at our LEED platinum building. Quite the setting, quite the community making a difference globally

Advice to Management

Worked at many other great places but Our Telogis' international New Employment Orientation (NEO) welcomed us to a company like I have never experienced.

Fast moving company, huge opportunity, lots of challenges

I have been working at Telogis full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company, great vision, good people.

Cons

Lots of growing pains transforming to a top revenue generating organization to match the vision. Need to work hard to overcome immature business processes.

Advice to Management

Get closer to the customer experience interacting with the company. Each of the touch points need improvement to be successful.

Flimflam artists pumping towards an IPO.

Pros

Nice coworkers. Good product. Fun travel.

Cons

Insecure inexperienced arrogant abusive sales management in Austin. Every sale brings it's own insoluble technical and customer support issues. Circle of blame and confusion. Run don't walk away.

Advice to Management

Stop drinking your own koolaid. Bring in execs who actually know business process instead of keeping your band of self congratulating cronies. Talk is cheap.

A company focused solely on it's IPO....!

Former Employee - Vice President in Aliso Viejo, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President in Aliso Viejo, CA

I worked at Telogis full-time

Pros

A company with a great front..! Spends money on parties and offices to look and sound like a software giant. You would think you're working for Facebook or Google. Whilst this no doubt help employee morale, this money could be better spent on improving it's systems and processes. The culture is very much to attract a young candidates, which is great (but the downside is the lack of experience)

Cons

Whilst it has a good platform that attracts major fleet customers, branch out to the OEM sector is nothing but a ploy to help it's potential share value at IPO stage. Once the company floats this OEM channel will be dismantled. It currently doesn't stack. The revenues no way match the resource and marketing spend being applied to this channel. Some investors are in for future sting when the true details are revealed. By that time the owners and senior management team will have cashed in and long gone!

Advice to Management

You potentially have a great culture but, try being a bit more honest with your employees. It's ALL about the IPO. You want to build up the business for huge stock market floatation. The OEM channel is a farce. Over priced for the market and doesn't make a profit. Sooner or later the customers will realise and either go direct or find a cheaper service provider. But, then you will have already cashed your chips in?

Great people, great opportunity, hard work

Current Employee - Product Manager
    Current Employee - Product Manager

I have been working at Telogis full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A very active culture of "do it today", and the company is growing well as a result. This company is going places and it's fun to be part of the growth. People are smart and hardworking, and there's lots to learn - career prospects are promising for those who are patient and hard-working. Yes, they know how to throw a party and certainly make it a positive environment... If you can handle the pace. There's been a high turnover in sales execs, but that just goes in most companies when a sales rep misses his targets. Other departments don't have that problem.

Cons

With so many new people joining the company, everyone has to figure things out for themselves - there is so much to do that the more tenured staff cannot 'onboard' the newbies fast enough. So you either sink or swim. I managed to swim, but it meant long hours and a patient approach to figuring things out. As the company grows and the business has become more complex with the OEM relationships, the 'easy button' doesn't work so well and the business will likely need to restructure to manage that growth - so if you want to part of the exciting growth period you need to be flexible, patient and hardworking. It's worth it.

Advice to Management

Processes are lacking (such as who is responsible for what, and do they have the resources/skills to accomplish). We need a dedicated PMO team that is separate from other departments with project managers that can work across departments to get stuff done so things don't fall through the cracks. Everyone is so busy they can't manage other people's tasks, so we need project managers to track everything. Employees need effective downtime to avoid burnout - don't make every issue a priority #1 that results in long hours and constant stress. Finally, there's a little too much nepotism (no need to name names) that needs to be kept in check to maintain a culture of equality.

Lots going on, good benefits

Current Employee - Product/Project Manager in Aliso Viejo, CA
    Current Employee - Product/Project Manager in Aliso Viejo, CA

I have been working at Telogis full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's never any shortage of things to get involved with, and there are a lot of smart people working here. The management team seems to have a pretty good idea of where they want to take things and I like the fact that they're pretty accessible. With all of the growth over the past year, it'll be really interesting to see how things go from here, but so far I've been really satisfied with the broad scope of projects I've been able to work on and the number of different skill sets I've been able to use. Also, the benefits package is really great. Good medical, dental, vision plus 401k with lots of choices which are great for a family.

Cons

I think the one thing they could work on is work/life balance, but in a fast paced environment with lots of stuff going on and lots of hiring and growth, it's kind of the way things are. My last job was like that too, and I also think that they tend to hire dedicated people who put in whatever it takes to get it done, so that's the reality. I also think that it's not a big place if you're used to being micro managed or having someone hold your hand. They trust that you know what you're doing.

Very secretive culture

Current Employee - Client Executive in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Client Executive in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Strong OEMs that allow get you in the door in a crowded market

Cons

Horrible back-end systems No equity No involvement in decision making No involvement in go-to market Little understanding of how executive decisions are made 10:1 Sales to SE ratios

Advice to Management

Tell your employees what's going on Give standard enterprise software support resources like BDRs/ISEs and solutions engineers

RSS Feed </> Embed