Telogis

Updated December 16, 2014
Updated December 16, 2014
3.1

Dave Cozzens

Lots going on, good benefits

Current Employee - Product/Project Manager in Aliso Viejo, CA
    Current Employee - Product/Project Manager in Aliso Viejo, CA

I have been working at Telogis full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There's never any shortage of things to get involved with, and there are a lot of smart people working here. The management team seems to have a pretty good idea of where they want to take things and I like the fact that they're pretty accessible. With all of the growth over the past year, it'll be really interesting to see how things go from here, but so far I've been really satisfied with the broad scope of projects I've been able to work on and the number of different skill sets I've been able to use. Also, the benefits package is really great. Good medical, dental, vision plus 401k with lots of choices which are great for a family.

Cons

I think the one thing they could work on is work/life balance, but in a fast paced environment with lots of stuff going on and lots of hiring and growth, it's kind of the way things are. My last job was like that too, and I also think that they tend to hire dedicated people who put in whatever it takes to get it done, so that's the reality. I also think that it's not a big place if you're used to being micro managed or having someone hold your hand. They trust that you know what you're doing.

Very secretive culture

Current Employee - Client Executive in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Client Executive in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Telogis

Pros

Strong OEMs that allow get you in the door in a crowded market

Cons

Horrible back-end systems
    No equity
    No involvement in decision making
    No involvement in go-to market
    Little understanding of how executive decisions are made
    10:1 Sales to SE ratios

Tell your employees what's going on
    Give standard enterprise software support resources like BDRs/ISEs and solutions engineers

Looking elsewhere

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Aliso Viejo, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Aliso Viejo, CA

I have been working at Telogis full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice new office, free food and drinks. Lots to do.

Cons

Middle and upper management is not that experienced. Lots of challenges with teams that are discontent with no one understanding process or communication. Growth has slowed down even after all of the investment and new head count, not sure where all the investment and money is going - not great signs.

Poor training, Bad management

Former Employee - Operations in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Operations in Austin, TX

I worked at Telogis full-time (less than an year)

Pros

New company that's quickly growing and hiring...especially in sales. Looking to go public within a year. Free Keurig coffee, sodas, snacks and Pizza on Mondays. Job offered good pay and good benefits.

Cons

Crowded office space, chaotic work environment, micro-manager from Hell who provided poor training and gave little room for error. It's a sink or swim culture. Manager encouraged questions in what was supposed to be a ramp and training process but would proceed to belittle, question my abilities and make my time there so miserable in the hope I would quit. Daily interactions with manager turned into a diatribe. Not worth the pain and anguish.

Nightmare

Former Employee - Sales Executive
    Former Employee - Sales Executive

I worked at Telogis full-time

Pros

solid software platform. a lot of great employees

Cons

sales infrastructure is one hot mess. Nobody knows what they are doing. Highest turnover in a sales organization that I have seen in my entire career hands - down!

No Training for New Employees and Inexperienced Managers

I have been working at Telogis full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good product, Great time off policies, great design in office.

Cons

Very high turn over rate going on right now!! People are very frustrated by the ineffective middle management that lacks communication and does not want to train new employee's properly. Yet they want to super micro manage. There is a "Sink or Swim" mentality. Many employees frustrated and leaving. Letting inexperienced people become Manager's who has no people skills. I would say most of the 5 star ratings on here are from the Telogis Recruiters because they are trying to retain people since they got a new round of funding.....

Watch your turnover rate in this company. Alot of great people leaving. Collaborate with HR and find out why so many people are leaving and their reason.

Great experience so far

Current Employee - Business Development in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Business Development in Austin, TX

I have been working at Telogis full-time (less than an year)

Pros

High integrity company
    Company takes care of its people
    Lots of autonomy - "Be your own CEO" isn't much of an exaggeration
    You are made to feel welcome and truly a part of the team
    Lots of opportunity for innovation
    Best benefits package I've seen in several decades
    Fast paced in a good way
    Seems like everyone truly feels like they are contributing
    Easiest expense filing system I've ever worked with

Cons

Fast pace and heavily matrixed organization makes it hard to stay in sync

Don't let the investment or potential IPO change the many, many things you're doing right (great benefits, company credit cards for frequent travelers, investment in people - particularly new hires). This is a great company and can be even greater in the future if we don't diverge from doing the things that have made us successful.

Fast paced and interesting

I have been working at Telogis full-time

Pros

Lots of interesting technical challenges. Nice office environment. Great coworkers. Work/Life balance is in your own hands, so even though it is hectic you don't have to let that get to you.

Cons

Can be too hectic at times. There is always pressure to get the next thing out but also to do it right, and to do long term projects. Sometimes feel quite isolated from other parts of the company.

Be more responsive to requests from your workers.

Discriminatory Hiring Practices

I have been working at Telogis

Pros

Good technology, good products, strong VC backing

Cons

If you're over 40 forget about applying for a job here. Since the KPCB investment there has been clear trend towards only hiring people in their 20s and 30s at the expense of more mature and industry knowledgeable people. In fact, most new hires since the KPCB investment have been recent college graduates or younger people with virtually no fleet management or mobile experience and it shows.

Stop excluding more experienced, knowledgeable candidates from the hiring pool because of their age. If you keep filling your ranks with inexperienced 20 and 30 somethings that look good on paper but don't know diddley about the fleet management business it will catch up with you in a hurry. In fact, it already has.

Smoke and mirrors

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Telogis full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Endless supply of money for over-the-top parties, tradeshow booths, corporate offices, and the like.
    Both of their presidents and the CEO are solid
    An analogy for the sales position at Telogis is like that sketchy person you end up briefly dating right after you end a long term relationship with a significant other; it's your "rebound" while you look for the next legitimate stop in your sales career. With a decent base salary and no real consequences for not making your sales numbers, it's ideal for anyone in need of a "short-term" place to park while they figure things out. Who knows, maybe you'll be one of the few that figure out a way to make some actual commissions there and end up staying. They don't really care about you, you most likely won't feel much allegiance towards Telogis, and the whole thing just kinda works itself out in a year or so for most people. I'm sure if you search out any the 100+ former Telogis sales reps on Linked In, most will have similar feedback - I'd be willing to bet my Telogis commission checks on it.

Cons

Incredible turnover rate, driven by the fact that nobody makes any real money there.
    Work/life balance is bad at most sales companies, it's horrendous at Telogis
    Like endless Webex sales meetings and conference calls? If so, then this is the job for you.
    Salesforce was beyond useless based on how it was locked down

1) FYI: Just saying "we're Telogis, we'll find a way, and we'll figure it out" over and over again doesn't actually fix any problems.
    2) Your fleet tool is good. Your other offerings are not. If you're going to advertise "one platform for location intelligence", you should think about having all of the other solutions actually work, and then actually work together within your platform.
    3) I never understood the strategy of always saying "we're the Premium Provider" and slapping an extremely high price tag on the telematics solution (which is basically a commodity sale), when other equally good solutions only cost 1/3 to 1/2 as much, then applying a heavy discount in the 11th hour to try and be competitive to win the business. What you're doing becomes very transparent to the sales rep, the competition, and the customer.