Telogis

Dave Cozzens

Great experience so far

Business Development (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsHigh integrity company
    Company takes care of its people
    Lots of autonomy - "Be your own CEO" isn't much of an exaggeration
    You are made to feel welcome and truly a part of the team
    Lots of opportunity for innovation
    Best benefits package I've seen in several decades
    Fast paced in a good way
    Seems like everyone truly feels like they are contributing
    Easiest expense filing system I've ever worked with

ConsFast pace and heavily matrixed organization makes it hard to stay in sync

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let the investment or potential IPO change the many, many things you're doing right (great benefits, company credit cards for frequent travelers, investment in people - particularly new hires). This is a great company and can be even greater in the future if we don't diverge from doing the things that have made us successful.

No Training for New Employees and Inexperienced Managers

ProsGood product, Great time off policies, great design in office.

ConsVery high turn over rate going on right now!! People are very frustrated by the ineffective middle management that lacks communication and does not want to train new employee's properly. Yet they want to super micro manage. There is a "Sink or Swim" mentality. Many employees frustrated and leaving. Letting inexperienced people become Manager's who has no people skills. I would say most of the 5 star ratings on here are from the Telogis Recruiters because they are trying to retain people since they got a new round of funding.....

Advice to Senior ManagementWatch your turnover rate in this company. Alot of great people leaving. Collaborate with HR and find out why so many people are leaving and their reason.

Discriminatory Hiring Practices

ProsGood technology, good products, strong VC backing

ConsIf you're over 40 forget about applying for a job here. Since the KPCB investment there has been clear trend towards only hiring people in their 20s and 30s at the expense of more mature and industry knowledgeable people. In fact, most new hires since the KPCB investment have been recent college graduates or younger people with virtually no fleet management or mobile experience and it shows.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop excluding more experienced, knowledgeable candidates from the hiring pool because of their age. If you keep filling your ranks with inexperienced 20 and 30 somethings that look good on paper but don't know diddley about the fleet management business it will catch up with you in a hurry. In fact, it already has.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Smoke and mirrors

Sales (Former Employee)

ProsEndless supply of money for over-the-top parties, tradeshow booths, corporate offices, and the like.
    Both of their presidents and the CEO are solid
    An analogy for the sales position at Telogis is like that sketchy person you end up briefly dating right after you end a long term relationship with a significant other; it's your "rebound" while you look for the next legitimate stop in your sales career. With a decent base salary and no real consequences for not making your sales numbers, it's ideal for anyone in need of a "short-term" place to park while they figure things out. Who knows, maybe you'll be one of the few that figure out a way to make some actual commissions there and end up staying. They don't really care about you, you most likely won't feel much allegiance towards Telogis, and the whole thing just kinda works itself out in a year or so for most people. I'm sure if you search out any the 100+ former Telogis sales reps on Linked In, most will have similar feedback - I'd be willing to bet my Telogis commission checks on it.

ConsIncredible turnover rate, driven by the fact that nobody makes any real money there.
    Work/life balance is bad at most sales companies, it's horrendous at Telogis
    Like endless Webex sales meetings and conference calls? If so, then this is the job for you.
    Salesforce was beyond useless based on how it was locked down

Advice to Senior Management1) FYI: Just saying "we're Telogis, we'll find a way, and we'll figure it out" over and over again doesn't actually fix any problems.
    2) Your fleet tool is good. Your other offerings are not. If you're going to advertise "one platform for location intelligence", you should think about having all of the other solutions actually work, and then actually work together within your platform.
    3) I never understood the strategy of always saying "we're the Premium Provider" and slapping an extremely high price tag on the telematics solution (which is basically a commodity sale), when other equally good solutions only cost 1/3 to 1/2 as much, then applying a heavy discount in the 11th hour to try and be competitive to win the business. What you're doing becomes very transparent to the sales rep, the competition, and the customer.

Fast paced and interesting

ProsLots of interesting technical challenges. Nice office environment. Great coworkers. Work/Life balance is in your own hands, so even though it is hectic you don't have to let that get to you.

ConsCan be too hectic at times. There is always pressure to get the next thing out but also to do it right, and to do long term projects. Sometimes feel quite isolated from other parts of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more responsive to requests from your workers.

Great Being Part of an Amazing Company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Aliso Viejo, CA

ProsSmart people everywhere and a great growth industry within software. Company cares about employees (pay, benefits, bonuses, parties). Great experience being part of a fast growing organization where everyone works hard.

ConsThe rapid growth can be a challenge as the rest of the company tries to catch up. Need to accelerate investments in systems to make sure people don't get burned out.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep fostering the culture as you become a "big" company.

Telogis is a collaborative environment filled with passionate employees and a great product!

Corporate Recruiter (Current Employee) Aliso Viejo, CA

ProsEveryday is filled with new challenges and I get to work with smart and top talent. Customers love our products and it makes working at Telogis a fun place.

ConsThere are no Cons at Telogis!

Demanding, exhausting, revolving door environment

Sales Executive (Current Employee)

ProsThrow a great party and spend like no one else

Cons90% of the work is done by 10% of the company. Great at acquiring customers, but retention and support is questionable. Adding resources at incredible pace without any training or mentoring...so good luck, but you better produce!

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow at a manageable pace, delegate and trust your employees - too much micro-management that stalls efficiency. Over-communicate for your global employees.

Losing salespeople as fast as they can hire them

Senior Client Executive (Former Employee) Aliso Viejo, CA

ProsHigh growth company with IPO planned in a couple of years.
    Recent influx of capital from Kleiner Perkins includes a seat on the board, so the company should become more directed and structured.
    Good story for "platform", not just product. Finally getting off Silverlight in 2014 with planned Javascript release.

ConsNo executive plan for managing its growth. Hired a Director of Sales Operations who quit in 3 months.
    Multiple sales teams calling on the same prospects due to acquisitions and overlapping product lines.
    No marketing support or even a plan to generate leads other than trade shows and cold calls.
    Long sales cycle. No leads means no pipeline which means no commission.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in developing staff, not just replacing them. Support staff is good but overworked.
    Control the nepotism and favoritism.
    Hire a Director of HR, if not a VP. Outsourced HR doesn't work when a company gets this big.

Alt of promise, little delivery

Sales Executive (Former Employee)

ProsVery energetic group. High spirit and strong will to exceed. Young party type attitude, but the mantra of "doing what it takes to get it done". Strong Saas focus. Competitive base salary for the market

ConsMarketing is non existent. Essentially they are party planners with no Marketing, Business Development skill at all. The Fleet product is the favorite child, little attention is paid to the rest of the suite.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a real Marketing group that knows how to develop leads, generate interest in the community, get prospects interested in wanting to know your product. What you have today is nothing more than a group that plans parties.

Worked for Telogis? Contribute to the Community!