Telstra
www.telstra.com.au Melbourne, Australia 5000+ Employees

Telstra Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2014
Telstra – Melbourne – “Telstra”

Telstra CEO and Board Member David Thodey

David Thodey

Pros:
  • "Work life balance is great with ability to work from home"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Rates are competitive, flexible working hours, many opportunities to transfer and work on other projects / other cities"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "The overarching ownership some long termers have within the organisation which can often prevent you GETTING THINGS DONE"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Disconnect between senior front line staff & senior management"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Bad Move, Should of stayed in the States

Melbourne (Australia)

ProsBig Company, lots great people, Massive Reach, Good Budgets, The ability to do be involved in some really innovative projects, and a chance to really make a change to the customers.

ConsNo real career path, restrictive processes, too many consultants wanting to make a project last forever, no real understanding on real project management despite all manner of processes. A culture of fix it but don't change anything. Land grabs and political battles across the business verticals with many many project repetitions purely for bragging rights.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you hire a SME, with a track record of delivery let them do their job.

Institutionalised and dysfunctional

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Melbourne (Australia)

ProsA well known Australian company, great CEO, good pay.

ConsA complete disconnect between stated policy and values and actual management actions.
    Limited accountability for bad management, bullying and politics.
    Management driven by empire building and protecting their patch than getting the best outcome.
    Staff disengaged with no ambition to achieve.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at turnover rates and absenteeism. I witnessed the worst behaviour I have ever seen in my working life.

A big Australian telecommunication company has opportunities to experience all sorts of technologies.

Technical Specialist (Former Employee)
    Sydney (Australia)

ProsA company has well structured organization systems including the employee benefits of the products, shares, social activities and awards. People are normally friendly and willing to help each other out both inside and outside of the company.

ConsCompany political hierarchy situation normally happens within the large cooperate. The higher management levels sometimes do not understand clearly what the operational teams need.

Advice to Senior ManagementCutting costs is not the only good way to bring benefit to the company. People are the main investment to bring values into the company. The company cannot expect to use less people to handle the same amount of workload and still expect them to provide same or higher level of service that can bring more benefit.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Work Like Balance Great, though ability to progress in career limited

Technical Analyst (Former Employee)
    Brisbane (Australia)

ProsWork Life Balance excellent - I usually started work at 7am and was almost chased out the office at 4pm as they didn't want me to over do the hours per week I worked.
    Being Technical the scope and size of the IT infrastructure in the company is massive, so the experience is almost second to none here in Australia.

ConsStill shaking off ex-government tag, will take at least 8-10years before the last of the old government guard is out and real world staff are holding all the major positions. Care factor and accountability isn't what those old guard have as a priority... More like Overtime, Whinging about lack of training and having to actually work now it's a publicly listed company.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep pruning the ex-gov workers, they aren't of any use. Don't send all the work to India as you will being so of it back when you see it's not the total cost savings your accountants think it is. Keep the new staff challenged or they will leave, like I did.

Many opportunities but also some frustrations.

Product Manager (Current Employee)

ProsMany opportunities to gain experience in new areas. The culture is changing with a laser focus on customer experience.

ConsBack end systems can make seemingly simple projects very complex.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure your vision and values are really been exercised lower down the chain. Talk to employees at all levels and find out what they think and feel. You might find there is more of a disconnect than you think.

Was a mixed experience workikng there

Sales Manager (Former Employee)

ProsLarge organisation with lots of opportunities. Plenty of training. Possiblity of good income if you get into the right area.

ConsToo much red tape and ridiculously labour intensive processes to get things done - keep changing sales targets. Sucking up to the bosses gets you much further up the ladder than working long hours, hard work, good stats and loyalty. They love sycophants there.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust heard from friends who still work there that it has become a nightmare for many due to a restructure - seem to be trying to manage people out again. This is exactly what I seen when I was there. As soon as I resigned I felt relieved. I am much happier now in a company which has sgtreamlined processes, cares about it's employees (that they are not just last months sales figure), has achievable sales targets and a work-life balance not a work-work one. You have lost and are losing too much talent and knowledge due to the way you treat employees like a number.

Marketing

Senior Brand Manager (Current Employee)
    Sydney (Australia)

ProsDynamic projects to work on. Clear vision for the brand and business. High levels of spend
    Great benefits and work life balance

ConsGoalposts often shift. Too many layers of red tape. Intenal politics often and issue

Making a great contribution to society

Commercial Manager (Current Employee)
    Melbourne (Australia)

ProsLots of interesting work and good development potential

ConsSuch a large organisation, getting things done can be challenging

Advice to Senior ManagementWorks best when senior people are accessible to all, not in their glass towers

Worst CEO ever worked with.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorst Management, No SOP, No Rules, Worst planning

ConsNo challenges at all. Salaries aren't great. No proper planning. Boring workplace and power trips very frequent. No safety measures. Temporary resolution. Always make changes at a very last second. Ineffective management. No proper Human Resource management. Worst place ever to work. Management had no intention of looking at the root cause of power issue. As a result of that, staff themselves have to touch the electric circuit by themselves and this has resulted some sparks in the circuit board. Management do not even care for the safety of their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementProper planning needed. More strategic SOP needed.

Killed by outsourcing

Sales Engineer (Former Employee)
    Melbourne (Australia)

ProsGood range of technologies to work with
    Impressive scale
    Some exceptional individuals

ConsMore and more BPO means things get done wrong, and then have to be fixed, and then the fixes need to get fixed.
    A lot of Telstra lifers no longer have anything to contribute and are waiting for their redundancy package

Advice to Senior ManagementIncreased outsourcing and high net promoter scores are mutually exclusive

Worked for Telstra? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Telstra reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Telstra CEO David Thodey. All 144 reviews posted anonymously by Telstra employees.