Telstra

www.telstra.com.au

Telstra Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014
Telstra – Melbourne – “Telstra”

Telstra – Melbourne – “Telstra”

Telstra CEO and Board Member David Thodey

David Thodey

Pros
  • Work life balance is great with ability to work from home (in 20 reviews)

• The company follows through with it's statements on flexible working and worklife balance (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • The overarching ownership some long termers have within the organisation which can often prevent you GETTING THINGS DONE (in 4 reviews)

• Limited opportunities for advancement out of middle management (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Bad Move, Should of stayed in the States

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Melbourne (Australia)

ProsBig Company, lots great people, Massive Reach, Good Budgets, The ability to do be involved in some really innovative projects, and a chance to really make a change to the customers.

ConsNo real career path, restrictive processes, too many consultants wanting to make a project last forever, no real understanding on real project management despite all manner of processes. A culture of fix it but don't change anything. Land grabs and political battles across the business verticals with many many project repetitions purely for bragging rights.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you hire a SME, with a track record of delivery let them do their job.

Institutionalised and dysfunctional

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Melbourne (Australia)

ProsA well known Australian company, great CEO, good pay.

ConsA complete disconnect between stated policy and values and actual management actions.
    Limited accountability for bad management, bullying and politics.
    Management driven by empire building and protecting their patch than getting the best outcome.
    Staff disengaged with no ambition to achieve.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at turnover rates and absenteeism. I witnessed the worst behaviour I have ever seen in my working life.

A big Australian telecommunication company has opportunities to experience all sorts of technologies.

Technical Specialist (Former Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsA company has well structured organization systems including the employee benefits of the products, shares, social activities and awards. People are normally friendly and willing to help each other out both inside and outside of the company.

ConsCompany political hierarchy situation normally happens within the large cooperate. The higher management levels sometimes do not understand clearly what the operational teams need.

Advice to Senior ManagementCutting costs is not the only good way to bring benefit to the company. People are the main investment to bring values into the company. The company cannot expect to use less people to handle the same amount of workload and still expect them to provide same or higher level of service that can bring more benefit.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Was a mixed experience workikng there

Sales Manager (Former Employee)

ProsLarge organisation with lots of opportunities. Plenty of training. Possiblity of good income if you get into the right area.

ConsToo much red tape and ridiculously labour intensive processes to get things done - keep changing sales targets. Sucking up to the bosses gets you much further up the ladder than working long hours, hard work, good stats and loyalty. They love sycophants there.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust heard from friends who still work there that it has become a nightmare for many due to a restructure - seem to be trying to manage people out again. This is exactly what I seen when I was there. As soon as I resigned I felt relieved. I am much happier now in a company which has sgtreamlined processes, cares about it's employees (that they are not just last months sales figure), has achievable sales targets and a work-life balance not a work-work one. You have lost and are losing too much talent and knowledge due to the way you treat employees like a number.

Marketing

Senior Brand Manager (Current Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsDynamic projects to work on. Clear vision for the brand and business. High levels of spend
    Great benefits and work life balance

ConsGoalposts often shift. Too many layers of red tape. Intenal politics often and issue

Making a great contribution to society

Commercial Manager (Current Employee) Melbourne (Australia)

ProsLots of interesting work and good development potential

ConsSuch a large organisation, getting things done can be challenging

Advice to Senior ManagementWorks best when senior people are accessible to all, not in their glass towers

Absolutely Fantastic

Customer Advisor (Current Employee) Maroochydore (Australia)

ProsGreat flexibility as a casual employee, great support from management and competitive hourly rate.

ConsBusiness is constantly changing, many new products being introduced which can be difficult to keep up with. Need to be able to manage tough customers with difficult inquiries.

Progressive and Innovative

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Melbourne (Australia)

ProsTelstra offers flexible work arrangements
    Work life balance is great with ability to work from home
    Latest technology utilised with staff provided access to smart phone
    Staff development and skills are encouraged via learn achieved courses etc
    Good remuneration

ConsLack of clear career progression and opportunities from current role
    Pigeon holed in particular skill/ position and hard to apply for other type of roles
    Lack of open communication with management on performance unti annual review occurs

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat staff fairly based on performance not how much they flatter you

Worst CEO ever worked with.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorst Management, No SOP, No Rules, Worst planning

ConsNo challenges at all. Salaries aren't great. No proper planning. Boring workplace and power trips very frequent. No safety measures. Temporary resolution. Always make changes at a very last second. Ineffective management. No proper Human Resource management. Worst place ever to work. Management had no intention of looking at the root cause of power issue. As a result of that, staff themselves have to touch the electric circuit by themselves and this has resulted some sparks in the circuit board. Management do not even care for the safety of their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementProper planning needed. More strategic SOP needed.

Killed by outsourcing

Sales Engineer (Former Employee) Melbourne (Australia)

ProsGood range of technologies to work with
    Impressive scale
    Some exceptional individuals

ConsMore and more BPO means things get done wrong, and then have to be fixed, and then the fixes need to get fixed.
    A lot of Telstra lifers no longer have anything to contribute and are waiting for their redundancy package

Advice to Senior ManagementIncreased outsourcing and high net promoter scores are mutually exclusive

Worked for Telstra? Contribute to the Community!