Tembec

Tembec President, CEO, and Director Jim Lopez

Jim Lopez

Worker

I have been working at Tembec for more than 10 years

ProsSpecialty pulp with reasonably high demand

ConsSituated in north easter Quebec fair distance from major centers

Tembec

Shift Leader (Former Employee)
Saint Francisville, LA

I worked at Tembec

ProsThey had an on-site health club and cafeteria.

ConsDid not follow up on commitments to the facility and community. Investments in processes and equipment were for the most part ill thought out. They wasted alot of money on the wrong things.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not make commitments that you can't keep. Follow up on promises and treat people with respect.

lots of on the job learning

Cochrane, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Tembec full-time for less than a year

Prosa great variety of equipment to work on

Conspaper companies are having a hard time

Advice to Senior Managementmore training

Boring.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Tembec full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPay is good. Lots of overtime. Don't have to work very hard unless something breaks down. The people I worked with were great, we often bbq'd on night shifts or had potluck dinners. Shift schedule was great, only worked 6-8 months out of the year with all the time off and still made $86,000 a year. Being home every night to see the wife and kids was a definite plus.

ConsSupervisors and management did not listen to their operators. Everything that broke down was given band aids to save production. No apprenticeships, no way to better yourself or advance. This environment kills a person's work ethic. No reason to work hard, you get paid the same as the lazy ones. I worked 2, almost 3, years doing the same back and forth drive on a forklift, very monotonous. Human Resources specifically instructed their people in management not to become friends with us workers on the floor, they were told the workers were out to get them. Management squeezed every drop of production out of the mill until they shut it down and layed-off all of the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe operators know the equipment, listen to them when they say something is wrong with it, it's going to break down. Need some way to reward hard workers; apprenticeships or promotions could help this. Strive to be on Canada's list for top 100 employers. Tembec is a slow sinking ship, the only one that will survive is their specialty cellulose mill that they are sinking millions in to.

Worked for Tembec? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Tembec reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Tembec CEO Jim Lopez. All reviews posted anonymously by Tembec employees.