TempWorks Software Reviews

1. Great company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Software Analyst in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Software Analyst in Eagan, MN

I have been working at TempWorks Software full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Awesome company to work for - management is extremely helpful and always willing to answer questions. This position can be a gateway for many other opportunities throughout the company.

Cons

The industry itself can be stressful (payroll processing)

Keep hiring quality employees

2. Tempworks was the best thing that could've happened for my career

Former Employee - Senior Support Analyst in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Support Analyst in Eagan, MN

I worked at TempWorks Software full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company is full of helpful, friendly employees and extremely supportive management. I grew as a a person and as a career woman. There is so much opportunity to learn new programming languages and tools. I walked in with 0 programming experience but a ton of drive. I left with a intermediate knowledge of SQL.

When you work at Tempworks, you join a family that wants you to be the best you can be. The formal training is brief however, your coworkers are always there. Management does a wonderful job of creating and maintaining a team environment. It's a challenging environment that caters to all learners and personalities. I cannot stress enough how incredible this company is to work for. They help provide a wonderful work/life balance and are very understanding of the fact that sometimes your personal life interrupts your work life.

My experience in support was amazing. I came in intimidated, however I was quickly welcomed by a friendly management team that I could tell right away wanted me to be the best I could. Even though employees are put through a 2 week corporate training to start with, it doesn't start their. I felt well supported by both my co workers and all of the documented processes my entire team contributed to. I had the wonderful opportunity to eventually pass on the knowledge of our payroll/staff management system to both new employees and our customers. This is a skill that will help you for the rest of the career.

Tempworks is an incredibly strong team with each department being a sub-team. While one department can be under a great amount of stress, another with help pick up the slack and pull everyone through. While in Support, I quickly picked up taxes (rules, regulations and the basics). This landed me on the Year End Team that helped clients close out fiscal years. Being on the team was really an experience. I saw every department come together and power through a very stressful time. Regardless of the pressure, everyone was still laughing and everything was very well managed. This kind of performance not only shows how strong you and your teammates are, but how strong your leaders are.

After a solid experience at Tempworks, my skills helped me move on to a International Corporation. My ties to Tempworks are still strong, I still meet with my co-wokers and have made life long best friends. I have become a stronger person, furthered my programming skills and provided connections with clients all across the country. I am forever grateful for Tempworks.

Cons

Year End can be stressful and getting everyone on the same page when it comes to government regulations involving payroll is something that could be worked on.

At times I felt over worked, under paid and a tad under appreciated. I feel if management scheduled more one on ones or found a way to recognize employees for their handy work a bit more, moral would greatly improve.

3. Excellent opportunity for learning and experience

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at TempWorks Software full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Management is very appreciative towards staff and shows it by often times providing lunch (Qdoba, pizza, Ansari's), company sponsored happy hour at local restaurants, and fun outings (ProCart Go Carts, disc golf). Employees also receive a generous holiday bonus at the end of the year. The people that work here are friendly and most are more than willing to lend a hand. I've never felt like I've been micromanaged, but rather the opposite. I've been given the opportunity to be independent and determine my own role.

Cons

It can be very busy and stressful at times which is to be expected with any growing company. You may not always be able to get help at the time you want it from your supervisor when working in support, but they will always make time for an urgent matter, or when they are available if it's not an urgent matter.

Continue hiring quality employees to help alleviate the amount of work and stress that comes with a quickly growing company. Let's keep growing and providing and excellent product along with excellent service!

5. A local company with a great work environment and drive to be the best

Current Employee - Implementation
    Current Employee - Implementation

I have been working at TempWorks Software (more than a year)

Pros

I wake up on the busiest of days and want to go to work. Face it, we need to work. It's work. We can work at a company that believes in you, helps you and supports you. Tempworks does ths. The company doesn't stand still. What we do today, is only a fraction of what we will do in the months and years to come. Management is always looking to better what is now. If it's good make it better. What this means to me is that Tempworks never stands still, it's exciting to be in a place that has this kind of energy. This atmosphere gives learning opportunities, you get to stretch yourself every day. The company has a team mentality where if you need help, you get help, need to know more, they show you and lead you. As a family company, Tempworks as a company has a lot of opportunity for after work gatherings, boat trips bbqs happy hours or team gatherings. The company as a whole it's truly interested in you as a person. Good pay, good benefits, great environment, people and vision. Customers come every year to the Works user conference as much for the knowledge download but to hang out once a year with the Tempworks staff. This speaks volumes about Tempworks customer service. If you want a great place to work and want to be challenged, check out Tempworks.

Cons

I really have no cons. Seems odd but as I look at other jobs I have had I am blessed to be at Tempworks.

Keep questioning and asking why and why not. That is one of the things that makes Tempworks a great company.

Terrible place to work.

Former Contractor - Software Support Analyst in Eagan, MN
    Former Contractor - Software Support Analyst in Eagan, MN

I worked at TempWorks Software as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Not much pros to report on here. I guess if I were to pick anything, some of your co workers can be nice, but most are backstabbing, evil people that will sell you up the river to the manager to get you out of there.

Cons

There is a definite 'buddy buddy' system going on here. If you know someone who works there, then you're in. If you share in the managers views on politics, you're kept around, otherwise you're chastised and outed as a bad person. The pay is low, the expectations are very high, the training is laughable, and there is never any kudos for a job well done.

Give your employees a chance before firing them.

Innovation at every turn with the ability to recognize internal talent

Current Employee - Project Manager in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Eagan, MN

I have been working at TempWorks Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My journey at Tempworks started in the payroll processing department. I worked there for a few months and during this time I focused on learning payroll, taxes, our software, and other key areas of Tempworks while shadowing coworkers and management. I learned from the beginning that Tempworks is a fast paced, results driven environment which I love. Every day here is unique with something new to learn. After a few months, my hard work and due diligence in the payroll department was recognized by management and they decided to offer me an opportunity to move to another position within the company.

The knowledge I have acquired has allowed me to succeed and I can say that the position Tempworks gave me was priceless. The skills I have obtained at Tempworks will be invaluable to me for the rest of my career. The management certainly has an eye for talent and they recognize when an employee goes above and beyond their normal job duties. Our hard work is noticed by Tempworks at all times. Our management team is always looking for ways to better the company, its employees, and its products we provide to our customers. Our CEO and COO are always striving to incorporate real changes to solve big problems in the staffing software industry. Also I can tell you that I have never met such a smart and talented CEO. He consistently has all employee’s best interests in mind when making important decisions. He is a leader here at Tempwoks on a day to day basis. You would be hard pressed to find an employee here that disagrees with this logic.

In the 3 years I have worked here we have doubled and nearly tripled in size, which has led to more hiring and acquisition of more customers. You are assured that you work at a great company when many of the new employees are referrals from current Tempworks employees. Another major reason Tempworks is growing so rapidly is due to the positive work culture. From the free snacks, coffee, and soda, to the overall family feeling at Tempworks, my desire is to continue working here because it has become my second home.

I also wanted to comment on the 1-star reviews on this website, they are simply disgruntled employees who refused to perform their job even to the minimal standards and completely lacked any semblance of a work ethic.

Cons

I would like more company gatherings outside of the day to day operations as i really enjoy getting to know the new faces at Tempworks.

Continue to look for new ways to expand our company and keep up the hard work!

8. A company that cares about you and wants to see you succeed.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN

I have been working at TempWorks Software full-time (more than a year)

Pros

When I first started with the company, I was given the opportunity to broaden my skill set and be challenged in ways I never had been before. The company took a chance on me which I was very grateful for. Since my first day, I have been able to learn a lot of things and become a much more valuable employee. I have always felt supported by my management team throughout my time here and when things seemed to become too overwhelming, management was always willing to discuss this with me and find a way to make it more manageable.

The company has a very relaxed atmosphere that allows you to dress very casually and organize your workplace to meet your comfort needs. The break room offers complimentary pop, coffee, and snacks which has saved me on more than one occasion when I have forgotten to bring a lunch to work. On top of that, the company caters lunch many times throughout the year to say "thanks" and they also throw several company parties/happy hours that allow everyone to get to know each other better and relax after a long day at work.

I have (and would continue) referred several friends to this company. This a company that will reward you if you put in the effort and work. There have been several company changes for the better while I have been employed here, which shows the management team's dedication to making this company great! The staff here is stellar and I have made a lot of great friends along the way. It's wonderful to finally have a job I don't dread coming to everyday.

Cons

Nothing major to report in this area. I think the company has taken great strides to continually monitor employee and customer happiness and make the necessary changes to make sure everyone is getting what they need.

9. Great experience for those who never want to be bored

Current Employee - Web Developer in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Eagan, MN

I have been working at TempWorks Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

At this company, nobody will hold you back from being as good as you are. As a software developer you can make your own decisions about how to write code, and deliver on that practically red-tape free. The place has a nice, relaxed work environment, and I don't think I could find better colleagues than I have right now. They are great people who are really excellent at their jobs.

Cons

TempWorks is a very intense environment, and work life balance can be difficult to maintain. The company also will not baby you. You are on your own to succeed or fail.

Work harder on working together.

A year later, I still don't trust the company

Former Employee - Support Analyst in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Support Analyst in Eagan, MN

I worked at TempWorks Software full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Many of the non-managerial employees are very nice and willing to lend a hand where necessary assuming they have the time to do so.

Nice break area with a pool table and ping pong table. Though use of these is frowned upon.

The company is steadily growing. If you're good at what you do and suck up to upper management there are various advancement opportunities.

Melanie Kramer, one of the managers, is one of the most caring, kind, and helpful people you'll ever meet. Maybe it's because she's Canadian. I'd like to think it's simply because she's a good person.

Cons

Training is very minimal and you have to pester managers to get even that much.

The COO, Mari, has way too much power and will play favorites. My recommendation: start smoking. She spends half her day outside sucking away on cancer sticks and if you join her and entertain her constant need for gossip, you're more likely to keep your job. She is virtually single-handedly responsible for a large group of employees leaving in late 2013 (more on that later).

Greg, the CEO, is a wonderful person but is out of touch with the company ever since his son took over. He also has a habit for starting side projects that go nowhere and completely overruling the head of IT on a whim and scrapping almost-completed projects in favor of his unpolished hobby projects.

The stress level is extremely high, especially if you end up in implementation. If that does happen to you, kiss your social life goodbye because you won't have time for one. And good luck seeing your family over holidays. Chances are you'll be in a hotel somewhere in another state working on getting a new company up and running on Tempwork's software.

If you work in support you are assigned mandatory on-call hours, a week during which your work schedule completely changes. If you're a single parent you're screwed. If you have commitments outside of work or a second job, you're screwed. Management gives you the option to find a replacement to take your on-call hours instead, but good luck finding someone willing to do this for you. Trades are not too uncommon, but getting out of on-call is impossible. Also, any attempts to switch on-call weeks or get out of them altogether, no matter how valid the reason, is highly frowned upon by management.

Income levels are a joke and completely based on whim. When I started out I was grossly underpaid and this was even admitted to me during my review. I was given a pay increase and was still about $4000-5000 below what I should have been making while other people with no prior experience were hired on making up to $10,000 more than what I made after the raise.

We had a mass-exodus when I left the company (no exit interview, btw). Turn over rates at the time were extremely high and from what I can tell that hasn't really changed. Of all the people that worked in my department when I was there only 4 are left. During the time that I was there the department alone lost over 20 people and almost that many have left the department since my departure about year ago.

Since I've left the company has re-branded in hopes that a new image might inspire renewed confidence in the company. While the new logo is nice, a new paint of coat hardly fixes problems. I still know people who work there and from what I'm told not much has changed nor gotten better over the last year.

My biggest advice? Stop giving Mari so much power. She creates unnecessary problems for everyone involved and has no idea what she's talking about when it comes to departments other than payroll which, admittedly, she's very good at. But she has no business dealing in other departments' affairs.

Increase pay to at least be near local averages. Tempworks wages are near the low end of the spectrum.

Lastly, figure something out to allow everyone, but especially implementers, to have some free time and spend time with their friends and family. I don't know how many times I'd be logging in from home to finish off some work after hours and would see dozens of others doing the same while others still were in the office as late as 1 in the morning trying to get work done do to unrealistic deadlines and expectations.

On a sidenote: the vast majority of the people in the pictures accompanied with Tempworks profile here on Doorsteps no longer work there. Half the caricatures on the walls in the break room are of people that are long gone because the walls would otherwise be too bare.

11. TempWorks is a progressive company specializing in staffing software, payroll processing and funding.

Current Employee - Regional Vice President of Sales in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Regional Vice President of Sales in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at TempWorks Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Love how everyone thinks out of the box and is supported by our leadership in that regard. We have a challenging environment and one that encourages both personal and business growth. There are so many activities and extras that are offered to the employees, i.e. cookouts, on-site chiropractor, etc. that both show appreciation and are motivating to the employees. The software is very robust and development is on the cutting edge. Love having different lines of business to sell.

Cons

I can't think of any cons in working for TempWorks.

Keep up the good work.

TempWorks Software Response

Oct 29, 2014founder

I can think of quite a few cons. A big one is that our work involves helping clients implement radical change.

While that sounds all good, managing client expectations and helping them through
    ... More