TempWorks Software

Updated November 24, 2014
Updated November 24, 2014
3.4

David Dourgarian

A company that cares about you and wants to see you succeed.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN

I have been working at TempWorks Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

When I first started with the company, I was given the opportunity to broaden my skill set and be challenged in ways I never had been before. The company took a chance on me which I was very grateful for. Since my first day, I have been able to learn a lot of things and become a much more valuable employee. I have always felt supported by my management team throughout my time here and when things seemed to become too overwhelming, management was always willing to discuss this with me and find a way to make it more manageable.

The company has a very relaxed atmosphere that allows you to dress very casually and organize your workplace to meet your comfort needs. The break room offers complimentary pop, coffee, and snacks which has saved me on more than one occasion when I have forgotten to bring a lunch to work. On top of that, the company caters lunch many times throughout the year to say "thanks" and they also throw several company parties/happy hours that allow everyone to get to know each other better and relax after a long day at work.

I have (and would continue) referred several friends to this company. This a company that will reward you if you put in the effort and work. There have been several company changes for the better while I have been employed here, which shows the management team's dedication to making this company great! The staff here is stellar and I have made a lot of great friends along the way. It's wonderful to finally have a job I don't dread coming to everyday.

Cons

Nothing major to report in this area. I think the company has taken great strides to continually monitor employee and customer happiness and make the necessary changes to make sure everyone is getting what they need.

Innovation at every turn with the ability to recognize internal talent

Current Employee - Project Manager in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Eagan, MN

I have been working at TempWorks Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My journey at Tempworks started in the payroll processing department. I worked there for a few months and during this time I focused on learning payroll, taxes, our software, and other key areas of Tempworks while shadowing coworkers and management. I learned from the beginning that Tempworks is a fast paced, results driven environment which I love. Every day here is unique with something new to learn. After a few months, my hard work and due diligence in the payroll department was recognized by management and they decided to offer me an opportunity to move to another position within the company.

The knowledge I have acquired has allowed me to succeed and I can say that the position Tempworks gave me was priceless. The skills I have obtained at Tempworks will be invaluable to me for the rest of my career. The management certainly has an eye for talent and they recognize when an employee goes above and beyond their normal job duties. Our hard work is noticed by Tempworks at all times. Our management team is always looking for ways to better the company, its employees, and its products we provide to our customers. Our CEO and COO are always striving to incorporate real changes to solve big problems in the staffing software industry. Also I can tell you that I have never met such a smart and talented CEO. He consistently has all employee’s best interests in mind when making important decisions. He is a leader here at Tempwoks on a day to day basis. You would be hard pressed to find an employee here that disagrees with this logic.

In the 3 years I have worked here we have doubled and nearly tripled in size, which has led to more hiring and acquisition of more customers. You are assured that you work at a great company when many of the new employees are referrals from current Tempworks employees. Another major reason Tempworks is growing so rapidly is due to the positive work culture. From the free snacks, coffee, and soda, to the overall family feeling at Tempworks, my desire is to continue working here because it has become my second home.

I also wanted to comment on the 1-star reviews on this website, they are simply disgruntled employees who refused to perform their job even to the minimal standards and completely lacked any semblance of a work ethic.

Cons

I would like more company gatherings outside of the day to day operations as i really enjoy getting to know the new faces at Tempworks.

Continue to look for new ways to expand our company and keep up the hard work!

Great experience for those who never want to be bored

Current Employee - Web Developer in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Eagan, MN

I have been working at TempWorks Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

At this company, nobody will hold you back from being as good as you are. As a software developer you can make your own decisions about how to write code, and deliver on that practically red-tape free. The place has a nice, relaxed work environment, and I don't think I could find better colleagues than I have right now. They are great people who are really excellent at their jobs.

Cons

TempWorks is a very intense environment, and work life balance can be difficult to maintain. The company also will not baby you. You are on your own to succeed or fail.

Work harder on working together.

A year later, I still don't trust the company

Former Employee - Support Analyst in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Support Analyst in Eagan, MN

I worked at TempWorks Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Many of the non-managerial employees are very nice and willing to lend a hand where necessary assuming they have the time to do so.

Nice break area with a pool table and ping pong table. Though use of these is frowned upon.

The company is steadily growing. If you're good at what you do and suck up to upper management there are various advancement opportunities.

Melanie Kramer, one of the managers, is one of the most caring, kind, and helpful people you'll ever meet. Maybe it's because she's Canadian. I'd like to think it's simply because she's a good person.

Cons

Training is very minimal and you have to pester managers to get even that much.

The COO, Mari, has way too much power and will play favorites. My recommendation: start smoking. She spends half her day outside sucking away on cancer sticks and if you join her and entertain her constant need for gossip, you're more likely to keep your job. She is virtually single-handedly responsible for a large group of employees leaving in late 2013 (more on that later).

Greg, the CEO, is a wonderful person but is out of touch with the company ever since his son took over. He also has a habit for starting side projects that go nowhere and completely overruling the head of IT on a whim and scrapping almost-completed projects in favor of his unpolished hobby projects.

The stress level is extremely high, especially if you end up in implementation. If that does happen to you, kiss your social life goodbye because you won't have time for one. And good luck seeing your family over holidays. Chances are you'll be in a hotel somewhere in another state working on getting a new company up and running on Tempwork's software.

If you work in support you are assigned mandatory on-call hours, a week during which your work schedule completely changes. If you're a single parent you're screwed. If you have commitments outside of work or a second job, you're screwed. Management gives you the option to find a replacement to take your on-call hours instead, but good luck finding someone willing to do this for you. Trades are not too uncommon, but getting out of on-call is impossible. Also, any attempts to switch on-call weeks or get out of them altogether, no matter how valid the reason, is highly frowned upon by management.

Income levels are a joke and completely based on whim. When I started out I was grossly underpaid and this was even admitted to me during my review. I was given a pay increase and was still about $4000-5000 below what I should have been making while other people with no prior experience were hired on making up to $10,000 more than what I made after the raise.

We had a mass-exodus when I left the company (no exit interview, btw). Turn over rates at the time were extremely high and from what I can tell that hasn't really changed. Of all the people that worked in my department when I was there only 4 are left. During the time that I was there the department alone lost over 20 people and almost that many have left the department since my departure about year ago.

Since I've left the company has re-branded in hopes that a new image might inspire renewed confidence in the company. While the new logo is nice, a new paint of coat hardly fixes problems. I still know people who work there and from what I'm told not much has changed nor gotten better over the last year.

My biggest advice? Stop giving Mari so much power. She creates unnecessary problems for everyone involved and has no idea what she's talking about when it comes to departments other than payroll which, admittedly, she's very good at. But she has no business dealing in other departments' affairs.

Increase pay to at least be near local averages. Tempworks wages are near the low end of the spectrum.

Lastly, figure something out to allow everyone, but especially implementers, to have some free time and spend time with their friends and family. I don't know how many times I'd be logging in from home to finish off some work after hours and would see dozens of others doing the same while others still were in the office as late as 1 in the morning trying to get work done do to unrealistic deadlines and expectations.

On a sidenote: the vast majority of the people in the pictures accompanied with Tempworks profile here on Doorsteps no longer work there. Half the caricatures on the walls in the break room are of people that are long gone because the walls would otherwise be too bare.

TempWorks is a progressive company specializing in staffing software, payroll processing and funding.

Current Employee - Regional Vice President of Sales in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Regional Vice President of Sales in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at TempWorks Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Love how everyone thinks out of the box and is supported by our leadership in that regard. We have a challenging environment and one that encourages both personal and business growth. There are so many activities and extras that are offered to the employees, i.e. cookouts, on-site chiropractor, etc. that both show appreciation and are motivating to the employees. The software is very robust and development is on the cutting edge. Love having different lines of business to sell.

Cons

I can't think of any cons in working for TempWorks.

Keep up the good work.

Oct 29, 2014founder

I can think of quite a few cons. A big one is that our work involves helping clients implement radical change.

While that sounds all good, managing client expectations and helping them through

Great learning environment

I have been working at TempWorks Software full-time

Pros

Great company to start your career in. General atmosphere is relaxed and not stressful

Cons

Low Pay for the amount of work your doing and politics.

Pay your employees more

Oct 29, 2014founder

I'll take this comment under review with our management team. I don't necessarily disagree with it.

The pay rate issue is tough. We routinely have people come in entry level at $30k to $35k and
    ... More

Poorly managed with great opportunity for experience.

Former Employee - Support Technician in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Support Technician in Eagan, MN

I worked at TempWorks Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They will let you tackle whatever you feel comfortable with.

Cons

they expect more from you than what they may have trained you for.

slow down! perfect the business practices before cashing the next big check. This will lead to more and more contracts. Limit customization.

Oct 29, 2014founder

I largely agree with this comment except for the low number of stars :). Obviously the move to an evolved QA process took longer than it should have. I will note though that the uptime and the ... More

Opportunities Everywhere

I have been working at TempWorks Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Growing company that promotes from within. If you prove you are a good/dedicated employee there is no "glass ceiling" due to lack of experience, education etc. The company is willing to give you a chance.

Work hard/Play hard environment. Very close group of employees who get together outside of work.

Cons

Fast paced changing (growing) environment where only the strong survive. This can be a less than desirable environment for mediocre (I'm just here to get a paycheck) employees.

You are on the right track. Keep doing the monthly staff meetings, they are very informative.

Oct 29, 2014founder

This was a great comment. I appreciate it. I do want to comment on the issue of the environment not being a good one for paycheck collectors. You are absolutely right about that. I personally ... More

Been there, done that.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at TempWorks Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you want to start your career in software development, then TempWorks is great. There is unlimited potential for those who keep their heads down and truly care about the quality of their work.

Cons

Politics, politics, politics. Immature owner, CEO and COO. Upper management does not care about the quality of their product. They are only concerned about lining their pockets. There truly is a limit to how high you can go.

Fire yourselves.

Aug 1, 2014

I am sorry you had a negative experience at TempWorks. We've made sure to conduct exit interviews for employees who leave and take any constructive criticism to our executive team. One of your Pros ... More

What a great company full of great people!!!!

I have been working at TempWorks Software full-time

Pros

I have been with TempWorks for 7 years. I started when the company was 1/3 the size and with 1/5 the amount of revenue. The company continues to add staff and create new product lined to stay one step ahead of the competition. The vision for the future is ambitious and we haven't missed a milestone yet.

Cons

It can be high stress. The company run lean and some times it does contribute to extra hours. However, you are usualy compenstated for the extra effort and hours. Competition is always trying to copy what we, even though they are one step behind.

Keep innovating and adding to our product and service offerings. Our competitors try to compete with our software, but we have much more to offer than they realize. This is what helps us continue to grow and have a loyal client base.

Apr 16, 2014founder

Thanks.

We still have a lot of work to do. We've been slow going to international for example, and we've yet to enjoy significant market share in A&F and direct hire.

We've also not gotten