Tempe Elementary School District Reviews

Christine Busch
1 Rating

1. A wonderful organization

Current Employee - Teacher in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Tempe Elementary School District full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They are very organized. There is a department for everything. They have students' best interests at heart at all times. However, they make decisions with teachers in mind as well. They have some of the best professional development in the Valley. One of the benefits of organization is that they help teachers stay on top of certification. They give plenty of notice when a teacher needs to take action to maintain a certificate. For the 2014/2015 school year, teachers will receive a 3% raise when other districts are having difficulty making ends meet.

Cons

I have found it difficult to move up the pay scale. However, this is Arizona, which is a state that does not support public education. So I believe this school district is doing the best it can with its resources.

I don't have any advice. This is a well run organization.

2. I've met incredible people who are willing to do anything for their students.

Current Employee - Instructional Assistant in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Tempe Elementary School District full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people you work with are some of the best I've ever encountered. The administration Is always willing to work with you if you are having a hard time.

Cons

A big con to working here is the salary. I feel like I make next to nothing for having such a demanding job. Though, that isn't just the district's fault, it's a problem everywhere.

Keep up the good work of keeping the employees and students happy!

3. I felt very alone at this job.

Former Employee - Teacher in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Teacher in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Tempe Elementary School District full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The students! I can only speak for the middle schools about the negative things. The elementary schools seem to be doing a better job.

Cons

The principal had one set of stated expectations, but another set of fuzzily defined and unspoken expectations that you are really supposed to follow. If you are an outsider there is little effort make you feel a part of the team. They care more about student achievement numbers than humans. The discipline system needs a serious revamping because it is complicated and ineffective.

Take some time to clearly define just a few goals and expectations in your own mind before you share them out to the faculty. Show some genuine interest in your faculty. You might gain some insight into their job performance rather than just regarding someone who is tarnishing your numbers.

5. The company is a family type of organization offering training and professional development to assist you.

Current Employee - Teacher in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Tempe Elementary School District full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The teamwork of the school and district office to improve teacher skills and student learning.

Cons

There are none to share

Keep up the good work

6. Tempe has one of the most dedicated staff that I have ever seen in teaching and support programs.

Former Employee - Substitute Plus Volunteer In Class, PTA, GIRL SCOUT SCHOOL Representative in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Tempe Elementary School District part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I don't work there now, but my daughters and my niece attended Meyer and McKemy Schools when they were open. I substitute taught in all schools and would love to wok in the Tempe District. My best teaching methods, how to teach across the curriculum was exemplified in Meyer with Polly Mack, Mrs. Richardson, Mrs. Huffaker, and others. I loved the volunteer art program, and at one time at Meyer, we had 5 girl scout troops. I loved the way my daughter's all day kinder teach taught reading, I model much of what I do in early grades from her. I LOVE THE WAY DR. ORR DEVELOPED THE CURRICULUM, I LOVED THEIR CHOICE OF TEACHING MATERIALS.

Cons

low salaries, decreasing enrollment There doesn't seem to be a way to fix this problem.

Keep records old sub/ worker/volunteer helpers for mamy years. Get your application online.

7. I loved working with Kindergarten through Fifth grade school children. It felt wonderful teaching.

I worked at Tempe Elementary School District

Pros

Professional atmosphere, great co-workers. You always know where you stand with your manager(s).

Cons

There aren't any that I can think of. What other job is there where you work August through May, get 8 weeks off and get to meet awesome people (like me!)

N/A

8. I don't understand this field

I have been working at Tempe Elementary School District

Pros

The schools are friendly to work at. Fellow employees are very helpful. Benefits are good. You get 56 hours of general leave up front. I like it that the superintendent is seen at school fairly often.

Cons

District management is out of touch with what happens in the schools. There are cliques within the schools that keep to themselves.

I think other district employees besides Dr. Tate need to see what is going on within the schools. They need to have a better understanding of what each job within the school is.

9. Great Place to work, good advancement opportunities

Former Employee - Math Coach in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Math Coach in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Tempe Elementary School District

Pros

Great opportunities for advancement in this company

Cons

The pay does not compare to other school districts out of state.

Keep others informed of upper management decisions