Tempel Steel

Vincent J. Buonanno

Nice manager and supervisor

Former Intern - KPO Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Intern - KPO Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Tempel Steel as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The teams there are very enthusiastic with their jobs.

Cons

There are too many temporary employees

This company is a perfect example of why pay isn't everything

Former Employee - Manufacturing in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Manufacturing in Chicago, IL

I worked at Tempel Steel full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Pay was good
    Benefits were above average

Cons

This is the type of place where everyday you show up to work you consider it the worst day of your life. Some people were decent people, but a lot of employees were rude and would stab you in the back whenever they could. I've never seen anything this bad in my entire career. I think it is a reflection of the leadership in the company. Leadership was brutal. I once saw the owner, Vincent Buonnano, berate a higher level manager in front of a large population of the company after giving a presentation. It was not the time or place to do it and made everyone uncomfortable. This rude behavior was typical across the board. It starts at the top and trickles all the way down. Tenure is huge there. If you've been with the company for more than a couple decades, you could get away with a lot. If you are new to the company, people treat you like trash. Tempel is in the midst of attempting to change the overall culture, but the people resisting the change are at the top which makes it almost impossible to implement any real change. The population is aging very fast and they have big issues retaining younger employees. I see them having lots of issues in the next decade or so due to the aging population and their resistance to change.

Learn to accept change. Treat others with respect. Smile once in a while.

Management Professional

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Tempel Steel

Pros

A family owned company with a proud past and uncertain future. The company tends to promote from within where it can. Pay is fair to good for similar work and benefits are good.

Cons

Old line manufacturing in a declining industry. Electronics miniaturization and offshore competition has put pressure on margins. Management tends to be somewhat detached and insular. Bull goes a long way here.

Management needs to see through the bull from its managers and demand performance. Too many have become too comfortable in their jobs.

Good company needs close and right review from CEO, they are really missing information to run the plant with futuristic

Current Employee - Manager - PPC in Chennai (India)
    Current Employee - Manager - PPC in Chennai (India)

I have been working at Tempel Steel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can take ownership in your area and get succeed

Cons

Our success will not be taken into the account, we will be like a horse in a race ground

Dear Top level management, Please watch closely than now on the newly appointed higher authorities in the TOP Management, like MD, VP