Temple University

www.temple.edu

Temple University Reviews in Philadelphia, PA

Updated Jul 23, 2014
Temple University – US – “TUHS”

Temple University President Neil D. Theobald

Neil D. Theobald

Pros
  • You're looking for a job with an excellent work/life balance(in 6 reviews)

• Tuition remission/free education(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Temple is located in the bad neighborhood(in 4 reviews)

• Leadership at the Business School is dysfunctional and leads to extremely high turnover(in 3 reviews)

106 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Very Good Place to Work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsBenefits are very good and the jobs for the most part are secure once you have it. There is something of a family atmosphere university wide reflected in the significant numbers of long-time employees.

ConsCompensation is low as it's a non-profit organization. The opportunities for advancement are stifled once you leave the lower echelons due to the low turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice if some overly rigid HR policies were relaxed a bit. Several -- like the inability to take more than six sick days a year even though we earn more than that -- seem to have been put in place in response to a few abusers. The way to handle the few abusers is to deal with them individually, not restrict the entire workforce. If it's a union contract thing, then fix it at the net negotiations.

Good People

Graphic Design (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsThe office environment is a great way to gain experience working in collaboration with others, meeting deadlines and being as efficient as possible. Everyone is a very welcoming and friendly, at least in my office, and most importantly value my work. The assignments come slow but are easy for the most part. The balance between school and work is absolutely manageable and a great way to supplement some expenses.

ConsSometimes not enough work to the point where coming in is almost a waste of time.

Your satisfaction will depend on what you're looking for.

Media Services (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsTemple is a great place if:
    - You value health insurance above salary
    - You want your kids to (eventually) attend Temple
    - You want to earn an advanced degree
    - You're looking for a more laid-back atmosphere
    - You're looking for a job with an excellent work/life balance

ConsTemple is a non-profit higher education facility, so it's not great for:
    - Climbing the corporate ladder
    - Earning performance bonuses, promotions, or raises
    - Working on innovative products and pushing the envelope.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Institutional Advancement

Research Analyst (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsResearch staff and colleagues are great.

ConsLocation is difficult for some.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Usher - Temple Performing Arts Center

Usher (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsWhile in school at Temple University I worked part time at the performing arts center. It was a great atmosphere I got to see a lot of cool performances. (i.e. Jay Cole, Hypnotist.)

ConsThe student supervisors could be little pushy at times when it wasn't necessary.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to bring in quality performances into the center.

Great Time to work here

Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) Phila, PA

ProsInvesting aggressively to catch-up high ranked universities. New president, new deans, new research oriented philosophy.

ConsSlow bureaucracy, not a very good location

24 yrs of all aspects of medical clerical experience

Cash Poster (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

Prosgood job with good benefits management was very good and fair i believed.worked as a team doing work on a daily basis , fast and accurate

Consstressfull at times when we were short staffed,however the work had to be done and was all the time every day in time no matter what

Advice to Senior Managementmanagement was always good to me and very helpful.no problem there always willing to help when needed

A research university in medicine

IT Analyst (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsWork environment is good. People are realluy helpful

ConsI dont think there are much challenges in working but geeting one was really difficult

Great Place to Work

Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsBenefits are excellent. You can finish or start your degree, and your children/spouse have benefit of using remission tuition. The environment is very diverse with many avenues for you to explore. I have been here for 10 years, and even though my unit has a demanding schedule our time is flexible and we are fairly self-starters without much micro-management.

ConsLong hours maybe a problem since projects are cumbersome. It is hard to advance if you are not a certain grade level. Compensation is very fair but hard to get merit bonuses or salary increases (outside cost of living) due to bootstrapped budgets.

Advice to Senior ManagementTemple's core values are very transparent. My management team knows the stress level that we have but we have a clear vision of what to do. It would be better if more people collaborated more, but again demanding projects and taxed time management is tough for both staff and supervising units.

Temple University's academic environment nurtures and challenges students, faculty and staff beyond the classroom.

Executive Assistant (Former Employee) Phila, PA

ProsThe learning environment at Temple invites and challenges anyone in the pursuit of knowledge, inside and outside of the classroom for faculty and students. This inspires and creates a venue to discuss and debate politics, science, literature, art, current events, and serves to encourage not just students and professors, but also, staff members, visiting scholars, alumni and members of the community.

ConsThere is a disconnect between senior executives and the rank and file because the mandates are muddled by competing senior managers in all areas, including administrative units, academic departments and the management of the facility. But the Human Resource department is considered ineffective and disorganized throughout the entire university.

Advice to Senior ManagementCentralize management over all units, departments and centers to untangle the lines of communication from the President's office to each and every unit or department in the university, develop and implement performance monitoring and standards to evaluate academic, administrative and student services with measurable outcomes and standards for quality control and productivity. Most importantly, hold managers accountable to uphold, enforce and comply with university policies, procedures, and standards, as well as state and federal laws.

Worked for Temple University? Contribute to the Community!